• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

ultron87

Theoretically they could loophole it by changing what Protection from Player means. It's a rules change not a card change!

Just don't look at that reminder text.

kirblar

To what? Have they ever done that in Magic?

Would it be better designed if it had protection from all other opponents? Makes it better in EDH and irrelevant in the format that it's breaking
They used to. It caused serious issues in casual play where cards didn't work the same way in a real game as they did when you were reading them. (Same reason the creature type update they did was a trainwreck.)

Design was fine. The costing was not.

Karakand

It's 2014. I'm going to pick my top 10 new Magic Cards from 2013 and put them in a list! Don't rank "the best" cards just to rank the best, rank your favorites, for whatever reasons.

10. Azorius Guildgate

8Oos0qL.jpg

What a timely reprint Modern needed one bad.

9. Boros Guildgate

OfZxmVR.jpg

Please stop, I'll spill the beans if you stop. JUST DON'T REPRINT THE WHOLE FUCKING CYCLE IN ONE SMALL EXPANSION.

8. Dimir Guildgate

9257H74.jpg

You fucking did it didn't you.

7. Golgari Guildgate

8Vl7HDz.jpg

Krusty will save us... Krusty will save us... *rocks back and forth*

6. Gruul Guildgate

2hq8nFV.jpg

YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.

5. Izzet Guildgate

UoJhC6M.jpg

Hell yeah look at that Firemind #swag. Hit that piiiiiipe Weird Boy. #420

4. Orzhov Guildgate

luzT8Fd.jpg

You too John Avon? I looked up to you, man.

3. Rakdos Guildgate

hmj7DdE.jpg

*pounds head on desk*

2. Selesnya Guildgate

yQzd4hK.jpg

What am I doing with my life.

1. (tie) Simic Guildgate / all those GOD DAMN CLUESTONES (not pictured)

w8O19JL.jpg

If I never open a pack of Dragon's Maze again I can die happy.

The sad thing is those guild gates seem to have better artwork than several of the actual shock lands.

Also, saw this on Maro's Tumblr today.

Q: Is a black Day of Judgment printable from a color pie standpoint? Everybody would love a Damnation reprint but I'm guessing it's unlikely to happen because of the regeneration clause...

Mark Rosewater:
Black is more than allowed to kill lots of creatures.

Could be coming, fellas!

ultron87

But while it's building up though, whenever they attack they keep getting more counters though, right? So it's not really a smart idea to enchant an enemy's creature with Ordeal of Heliod, is it?
Unless it already has +1/+1 counters it doesn't seem like a very good idea. Since you'd need to somehow survive three attacks from the creature getting progressively stronger where the creature also isn't dying in combat.

Karakand

Maybe I shouldn't play in the "Just Starting Out" section of Constructed Open Play.

HysNGlT.png

(My Gladecover Scout was enchanted with a Mark of the Vampire.)

3FoAIma.png

Turn 2 kills too fast pls fix game Riot.

e: Also, jeez MODO is a steaming pile of trash.

rCIZZLE

Trying to pick 10 cards I loved from 2013 makes me realize how little I enjoyed the releases last year. Just going with 7 and even that's a stretch:

7. Duskmantle Seer
With each set after Gatecrash this has been the first card I've been trying to make work. Just has that Sire of Insanity flip-game-on-head type feel that can really mess with an unprepared opponent.

6. Rapid Hybridization
Quite a versatile card in my BUG Aggro deck from early last year (also featured Duskmantle). Having this, undying, evolve, and skirdag highpriest made for a very fun, somewhat competitive base of a deck.

5. Master of Waves/Gray Merchant
Always love when a new mechanic can spawn tournament winning decks.

4. Advent of the Wurm
Just love seeing the stress in my opponents when I pass with advent mana open. Few decks feel safe attacking and control opponents have a lot of tough decisions and considerations if they want to address any existing, pre-advent threats.

3. Boon Satyr
Another nightmare for control that doesn't really have any downsides.

2. Voice of Resurgence
Hatebears will always get my affection and this one is pretty hateful.

1. Experiment One
Turn 1 Experiment One is the most satisfying thing for me in current standard. It's how most of my quick wins occur and makes GW look absurdly powerful with any 2 and 3 drop to back it up. Doubt I'll get to use him after rotation due to it being too bad for eternal and very unlikely to be reprinted so I'll just enjoy it while I can.

Got to have 6 Nightveil Specters on the board today at FNM. Lots of fun.

Played 4, stole two with Ashiok.

I also won a game by playing Entering on a lone Specter three turns straight.

I made top four last night with my Selesnya deck. Mono blue just ate my lunch though with all of those damned Master of Waves 2/1 tokens.

I traded one of my Archangel of Thune cards for a play set of Restoration Angel and two Path to Exile. I needed the two Paths to finish out my play set and I feel that Restoration Angel will start to go up in price. I think she will keep a spot in Modern.

He was willing to trade a Voice of Resurgence for my Archangel, but I already have a play set that I use and was planning on buying the Resto and Path with cash off ebay anyway. So this saves me some money.

Lucario

He was willing to trade a Voice of Resurgence for my Archangel, but I already have a play set that I use and was planning on buying the Resto and Path with cash off ebay anyway. So this saves me some money.

Where on earth do you find people who don't obsessively google card prices before trading? I'm jealous.

I don't try to take advantage during trades (at least no more than ten or twenty percent when I can) but it's really obnoxious to even make fair trades around here. Everyone has smartphones, and nobody wants trades to be more than $1 off in either direction -- finding filler and endlessly googling price sources can take -forever-. Drives me crazy.

Still, damn good deal for you. You'd still be on the better side of that trade if you gave him two archangels.

Where on earth do you find people who don't obsessively google card prices before trading? I'm jealous.

There's a lot of guessing and vague memory of what a price was a month ago. In Standard it's always changing and right now we have a lull where prices are low even though people may remember the higher price a card was at awhile back.

The serious traders typically use tcgplayer mid pricing but last night I saw a lot of guessing.

rCIZZLE

I don't try to take advantage during trades (at least no more than ten or twenty percent when I can) but it's really obnoxious to even make fair trades around here. Everyone has smartphones, and nobody wants trades to be more than $1 off in either direction -- finding filler and endlessly googling price sources can take -forever-. Drives me crazy.

Still, damn good deal for you. You'd still be on the better side of that trade if you gave him two archangels.

This is why I don't trade just to trade anymore. People look up everything because so many people intentionally try to rip off everybody they don't know. It's like a bragging point for them. Ends up hurting the whole community when someone gets ripped off so much that they don't have anything left to trade for viable decks.

kirblar

I thought DGM was fine at Rare/Mythic but thought that it and Gatecrash really made limited a mess. At least RTR's big issue was limited to "Pack Rat."

Firemind

They should have just done RtR -> GC -> DM instead of the other way around. I don't know why they're stubborn about that. Happened with a few limited blocks now.

They should have just done RtR -> GC -> DM instead of the other way around. I don't know why they're stubborn about that. Happened with a few limited blocks now.

That would have made the set draft really oddly, with players being pushed into a guild from RTR harder than GTC. Of course, on the other side, the mana fixing in DGM would be able to be drafted correctly.

In the end, DGM just wasn't a good set. It didn't accomplish what it needed to from a limited standpoint.

Firemind

That would have made the set draft really oddly, with players being pushed into a guild from RTR harder than GTC. Of course, on the other side, the mana fixing in DGM would be able to be drafted correctly.

You mean like the original Ravnica block, one of the finest limited formats ever designed?

Crocodile

You mean like the original Ravnica block, one of the finest limited formats ever designed?

Your forgetting two things:

1) Certain tri-color combos were MUCH better than other due to how the packs worked out and which packs had which guilds. As such, some tricolor combos meant you could get cards in every pack and in others you couldn't. Not to say that all tricolor combos were equal on full RTR block but the differences between them was smaller due to block layout and I think that's a good thing. Also, as hard as it was, you could draft two color decks in full Return to Ravnica block. That was almost impossible in classic Ravnica block. I think making RTR not just draft like classic Ravnica block is a commendable goal and something they were correct in aiming for. It's just that the execution was off but hey, they are human.

2) Part of the reason RGD was a good limited multicolor format was that the mana-fixing was ACTUALLY GOOD! Relative to the color requirements of the cards in the format, classic Ravnica had the best fixing of any multicolor format! In RTR block Keystones are uncommon, Cluestones are near unplayable and Gates are so beneath Karoos it isn't even funny. Maro has recently said on his blog that he recognizes that they've been lowballing mana-fixing in multicolor limited environments. Let's hope they put those lessons to good use when it comes time for them to make Bizzarro-Alara.

kirblar

They're too afraid of "good" mana fixing, which is causing limited issues. They know it was a massive issue with Alara and was still a problem in RTR.

2cc Mana rocks are fine, as long as you make them very restrictive. (Sphere of the Suns broke nothing.)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Theros is the set that finally made me stop buying cards, I disliked it so much. So, 2013 was pretty much the worst year in MtG for me since I cam back. Love the mono-colors matter, but hate literally everything else, especially the flavor, which I feel they failed at.

Born and Journey may change my mind, but outside of my initial buy of Theros, I haven't even had the slightest urge to go back. I've even really stopped playing (though that has to do with MTGO shitting the bed so epically, yet another mark against 2013) for the time being.

Theros is the set that finally made me stop buying cards, I disliked it so much. So, 2013 was pretty much the worst year in MtG for me since I cam back. Love the mono-colors matter, but hate literally everything else, especially the flavor, which I feel they failed at.

Born and Journey may change my mind, but outside of my initial buy of Theros, I haven't even had the slightest urge to go back. I've even really stopped playing (though that has to do with MTGO shitting the bed so epically, yet another mark against 2013) for the time being.

I'm the same way. I really, really don't like Theros.
It made me go "all in" on Modern.

While not Modern, I'm about to play some Pauper on MODO...
Standard? Yuck.

Firemind

Your forgetting two things:

1) Certain tri-color combos were MUCH better than other due to how the packs worked out and which packs had which guilds. As such, some tricolor combos meant you could get cards in every pack and in others you couldn't. Not to say that all tricolor combos were equal on full RTR block but the differences between them was smaller due to block layout and I think that's a good thing. Also, as hard as it was, you could draft two color decks in full Return to Ravnica block. That was almost impossible in classic Ravnica block. I think making RTR not just draft like classic Ravnica block is a commendable goal and something they were correct in aiming for. It's just that the execution was off but hey, they are human.

2) Part of the reason RGD was a good limited multicolor format was that the mana-fixing was ACTUALLY GOOD! Relative to the color requirements of the cards in the format, classic Ravnica had the best fixing of any multicolor format! In RTR block Keystones are uncommon, Cluestones are near unplayable and Gates are so beneath Karoos it isn't even funny. Maro has recently said on his blog that he recognizes that they've been lowballing mana-fixing in multicolor limited environments. Let's hope they put those lessons to good use when it comes time for them to make Bizzarro-Alara.

Shrug. To me RTR was Shards of Alara lite. Ranking the multicolour blocks, I'd go: Original Ravnica > Invasion > Shards of Alara > Return to Ravnica. Not sure if I rate Invasion above Shards because of design or nostalgia, but I had equally good memories from Invasion and Shards.

OnPoint

I'm feeling the same way about Theros. I do not really like it that much, which is sad, because I love Greek mythology. I've been slowly buying into Legacy now.

Top Bottom