• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Firemind

I'll look again next time I'm logged in.

New frame looks real bad for nonblack cards.

aiwesdfkw9242featwk01_en_card_walloffire.jpg

Goddamn. not just bad, it's downright offensive.

Rip mono red cards

Lucario

Many of the changes are counterfeiting-related. That black area at the bottom is ghastly, though, as is the new font.

so this is bad for:

people who do alters
people who collect misprints
people with functional eyes

edit: I like the millionth excuse for the generic sci-fi enemy sliver designs. Yeah, we're sad you couldn't think of anything better than that too, Aaron.

Tip: When you make a shitty decision that's reviled by 90% of the community, don't go back and make an article implying it's our fault for not "embracing it as an improvement". Reads as bitter and passive-aggressive to me.

kirblar

It's good for colorblind people - it's the reason for the additional rarity marker.

Hero, I didn't play you in HS in Arena, did I?

red13th

Die in a fire, new Slivers! They are SHIT and you know it. bwahaha
And the new frame is really weird.

EDIT: Jund Depths won the Legacy Open, cool I was rooting for the guy.

bigkrev

Slivers don't even make my top 5 list of things that went horribly wrong with Magic this year IMO

5. Magic Online continues to be actively on fire, and the failure of the new client
4. True Name Nemesis impacting the availability of Commander decks to the target audience
3. Modern Masters incredible draft experience paired with such limited availability.
2. The lack of video coverage at all North American GPs. The fact that GP Detroit (aka GP Murder) had no video coverage is alarming.
1. The re-printing of Gladecover Scout and R&D's continued ignorance to the absurdity of Hexproof.

OnPoint

EDIT: Jund Depths won the Legacy Open, cool I was rooting for the guy.

My dream of someday upending Legacy personally still lives when I see decks like this come out of nowhere. I enjoyed watching that deck.

bigkrev

Actually, lost in the shuffle of stuff last night, M15 is 269 cards as opposed to the usual 249. I find this curious, and have some theories.

1. The added 20 cards are the slots for the 20 basic lands. Gives more space in all large sets
2. Return of double faced cards, with 20 of them taking up a separate sheet. Would make sense if they want to reprint Garruk Relentless instead of making a 5th Garruk
3. 10 Shocklands and 10 Fetchlands, to properly give us Magical Christmasland

I'm surprised they decided to do the taper at the bottom of the card border -- it looks pretty awful.

Still, not really a deal breaker (as if anything would be at this point).

OnPoint

Actually, lost in the shuffle of stuff last night, M15 is 269 cards as opposed to the usual 249. I find this curious, and have some theories.

1. The added 20 cards are the slots for the 20 basic lands. Gives more space in all large sets
2. Return of double faced cards, with 20 of them taking up a separate sheet. Would make sense if they want to reprint Garruk Relentless instead of making a 5th Garruk

1. This is pretty possible. I like the idea that they have more room to work.

2. I really hope this isn't the case. Double-faced cards is something they should only return to occasionally and with good reason. I'd like to think they'll make a new Garruk if he's supposed to headline the new set.

3. LOL!

I mean, I'd love if the Fetches get put into standard, as I could then afford them, but to reprint the shocks in the same set is just hilarious.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Rosewater says that, while DFCs are definitely likely to return thanks to their reception, due to the complexities of printing them they're going to be something that happens infrequently and only when it makes sense. So I doubt that they're doing them for a core set so quickly after Innistrad.

bigkrev

1. This is pretty possible. I like the idea that they have more room to work.

2. I really hope this isn't the case. Double-faced cards is something they should only return to occasionally and with good reason. I'd like to think they'll make a new Garruk if he's supposed to headline the new set.

3. LOL!

I mean, I'd love if the Fetches get put into standard, as I could then afford them, but to reprint the shocks in the same set is just hilarious.

Rosewater says that, while DFCs are definitely likely to return thanks to their reception, due to the complexities of printing them they're going to be something that happens infrequently and only when it makes sense. So I doubt that they're doing them for a core set so quickly after Innistrad.

I left of "Reprint of Power Nine Library and Duals with Cube art"

The only justification for the double face cards would be for Garruk Relentless. They aren't making him the focal point of the marketing and just reprinting M14 Garruk. And it just seems super lazy to make a 5th Garruk already, when Green is the only color without a secondary planeswalker. Just look at the list

White: Ajani, Gideon, Elspeth
Blue: Jace, Tezzeret, Tamiyo
Black: Liliana, Sorin
Red: Chandra, Koth
Green: Garruk and, uh, Nissa

The Technomancer

I wouldn't mind seeing M13 Garruk or even classic Garruk return. M13 Garruk lent himself to slightly more strategies then "dump all the creatures" and classic Garruk was so much faster and his ult was often reusable, something I think modern Planeswalkers often lack

I wouldn't be surprised to see fetchlands in M15.

And put me in the camp of people who find the new border to be unoffensive. I suppose if I had to pick, I'd rather it hadn't changed, but the new border is just fine.

ultron87

Huh...I'm fine with the new design. People really find the way the color comes in at the bottom to be that bad?

It obviously isn't "Magic is dead!" bad, but it just looks really off to me. I just don't see why it couldn't at least end at the bottom of the text box.

The designer credit thing looking the same as flavor text is also really odd since it does the exact opposite of flavor text and pulls you out of the game. But I may just be salty that that card won YMTC.

I wonder what other cards they'll put it on. I can't imagine any would be from the normal design team members since that is presumably a group effort kind of thing. Maybe there's a few "designed by Richard Garfield" cards in there or something.

red13th

Nah pretty sure it's for timeshifted cards like Counterspell, Argothian Enchantress and Mother of Runes.

bigkrev

I wonder what other cards they'll put it on. I can't imagine any would be from the normal design team members since that is presumably a group effort kind of thing. Maybe there's a few "designed by Richard Garfield" cards in there or something.

Bet you a fiver that Solemn Simulacrum "Designed by Jens Thoren" Ranger of Eos "Designed by Antonie Ruel" or Meddling Mage "Designed by Chris Pikula" are in the set

OnPoint

White: Ajani, Gideon, Elspeth
Blue: Jace, Tezzeret, Tamiyo
Black: Liliana, Sorin
Red: Chandra, Koth
Green: Garruk and, uh, Nissa

While I agree Green needs another good PW, Koth is a bit if a stretch and Tezzeret is not solely blue anymore.

Nissa could be repurposed and made good. But I would like a totally new character at this point. One who does things Garruk doesnt.

Next challenge is 3 color walkers.

Firemind

Speaking of that, they should errata Shadowmage Infiltrator. I found out recently when cubing that Finkel can't be blocked by blue creatures. Too funny.

The Technomancer

Speaking of that, they should errata Shadowmage Infiltrator. I found out recently when cubing that Finkel can't be blocked by blue creatures. Too funny.

Hm? Its still Fear. Changing it to Intimidate would be functional, yeah?

Bet you a fiver that Solemn Simulacrum "Designed by Jens Thoren" Ranger of Eos "Designed by Antonie Ruel" or Meddling Mage "Designed by Chris Pikula" are in the set

Anyone want to bet that Snapcaster "Designed by Tiago Chan" Mage is in the set?

...anyone?

bigkrev

Hm? Its still Fear. Changing it to Intimidate would be functional, yeah?

Yeah, it would be a functional change, as giving him intimidate would let him be blocked by either Black Blue or Artifact creatures. It's a shame, as Shadowmage Infiltrator is a very good Core set card if you want to do multicolor.

Anyone want to bet that Snapcaster "Designed by Tiago Chan" Mage is in the set?

...anyone?

There are also a few other cards designed by players. I believe Chalice of the Void was submitted as an invitational card years before it saw print. Gemstone Caverns from Time Spiral was another invitational card that was printed based on fan vote.

bigkrev

Also Avalanche Riders. ECHO IS BACK.

They obviously realized they messed up the 20th anniversary so M15 is Time Spiral 2: Mechanic Boogaloo.

I know you are joking, but there are other invitational cards that could be reprinted mechanically in a core set, but won't be. Rootwater Thief would be fine if Rootwater meant anything to people anymore, and Sylvan Safekeeper can't exist in the zero downside world Magic now exists in.

Print Kai's original submission.

1wwu
Destroy all creatures. Untap four lands.

1. That was actually Finkels submission "Wraith of Leknif"
2. I knew that instantly without looking it up. What does that say about me?

Wynnebeck

Banned
Fetchlands coming back would make jizz uncontrollably. Also, I'm fairly curious as to the card that was hinted to be the successor to Dark Confidant. Saw DC going for $80 at MAGFest and was tempted to buy him and TNN and make a Dmir Modern deck for the first time lol.

OnPoint

Fetchlands coming back would make jizz uncontrollably. Also, I'm fairly curious as to the card that was hinted to be the successor to Dark Confidant. Saw DC going for $80 at MAGFest and was tempted to buy him and TNN and make a Dmir Modern deck for the first time lol.

TNN does not exist in Modern.

Karakand

edit: I like the millionth excuse for the generic sci-fi enemy sliver designs. Yeah, we're sad you couldn't think of anything better than that too, Aaron.

If you're going to jettison a long-used style because you've "run out of design space" you should probably come out with something that doesn't look like you've run out of ideas. Megantic Sliver looks like every other generic green fattie.

1. That was actually Finkels submission "Wraith of Leknif"
2. I knew that instantly without looking it up. What does that say about me?

You are definitely NOT Alyssa Bereznak.

I used to work in the printing industry and the thinner border could actually increase cutting mistakes. I don't know if their cards are cut by a human or an automated machine but a larger border allows for small variances to not be as noticeable. A thinner border will make it easier to notice when the cut is off.

Also Avalanche Riders. ECHO IS BACK.

They obviously realized they messed up the 20th anniversary so M15 is Time Spiral 2: Mechanic Boogaloo.

lol

bigkrev

BTW, now that the cards are (apparently) machine readable, and the fact that there is no longer day-of registration for GPs, it will be a travesty if by 2015 they don't have automated deck registration and eliminate deck swap.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Maro on the change from 269 to 289:

We have changed the default from 60 uncommons to 80 uncommons for large sets as it makes limited play better. The default of large sets moving forward will be 269.

Not nearly as exciting as we wanted it to be.

Quick, list the 20 best uncommons... lol

Path to Exile
Inquisition of Kozilek
Remand

There are my 3... looks like with Force of Will we have four... keep it rolling.

Honestly the best way to build it is to just buy individual cards. The beauty of cube is that rarity only goes so far. Different colors require different types of cards to enable deck archetypes to be built. Like red for the most part is small but efficient creatures and burn cards. You could probably build the red section of 50 cards for probably 50 bucks, even less if you tried.

You are correct with Commander also being a singleton format. While I do think there a lot of great Cube-worthy cards and staples the 30 dollar MSRP is pretty expensive and you'd still need to fit in a lot. A deck builders kit or two might not be a bad start.

You say you don't have any cards at all, do any of your friends? You'd be astounded by cards that are junk status in constructed but are good in Cube and stuff most people would probably part with happily.

I guess a better question to start off with is what kind of budget do you want to work with? Keep in mind proxying cards is completely fine since it's just for fun.

Edit:

Following what kirblar said a common/uncommon cube would still be a fun cube and very affordable. In fact I would recommend RTR block since it has a lot of gold cards and mana fixing. If you wanted to take it a step further I would look into adding Innistrad cards as well.
We literally have nothing between us. I think $100 Australian would be my limit but preferably less.

Top Bottom