• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Karakand

If the cards are machine readable, does that mean there's potentially a way to actually randomize packs but make sure X number of mythics are in a box that doesn't involve tracks? That's worth 1-2 years of ugly card bottoms IMO.

red13th

MJ (Darkest_Mage at twitch) is building this devotion deck from a Modern daily:

16 Forest
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
20 lands

4 Arbor Elf
3 Burning-Tree Emissary
1 Craterhoof Behemoth
4 Elvish Visionary
4 Eternal Witness
3 Primeval Titan
3 Strangleroot Geist
2 Wistful Selkie
24 creatures

2 Fertile Ground
4 Garruk Wildspeaker
4 Genesis Wave
1 Primal Command
1 Rude Awakening
4 Utopia Sprawl
16 other spells

Sideboard
1 Acidic Slime
1 Beast Within
1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
3 Damping Matrix
1 Dismember
3 Fracturing Gust
2 Nature's Claim
1 Strangleroot Geist
2 Vexing Shusher
15 sideboard cards

I'm curious to see how it does, seems like it can hit some crazy Genesis Waves!

Lucario

Someone caught this- the new frame bottom IS the PW frame bottom. This has been in the works a long-ass time.

bolded for emphasis

If the cards are machine readable, does that mean there's potentially a way to actually randomize packs but make sure X number of mythics are in a box that doesn't involve tracks? That's worth 1-2 years of ugly card bottoms IMO.

I don't think this removes the need for tracks. WoTC knows where everything is on a sheet already, and the real expense in doing away with that method is buying the machinery needed to mix every single pack produced in a sufficiently random manner.

It seems like it'd be impractical for Habro's production equipment to scan more than a card every sheet (or so). Scanning only the occasional card, however, prevents misprints from happening without making the printing process take forever.

Also, as kirblar mentioned, the extra rarity indicator being white on black could help some colorblind gamers, although the types of colorblindness that would prevent players from reading the normal rarity symbols are incredibly rare.

None of the new changes are terrible on paper, they were just executed poorly. Black on red is very visually striking, and it draws attention from the important parts of the card (art, text) to the fucking copyright info. That isn't a place most players will ever look at for more than three seconds, so why make it stand out so much?

This is kind of similar what happens when you let an Engineer lead a design team.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Someone caught this- the new frame bottom IS the PW frame bottom. This has been in the works a long-ass time.

Eh, maybe. It might also be they were looking at ways to add more real-estate to the bottom of the frame and they looked at the planeswalker cards and were like
QTP5mmQ.png

"that'll work"

Karakand

Also, as kirblar mentioned, the extra rarity indicator being white on black could help some colorblind gamers, although the types of colorblindness that would prevent players from reading the normal rarity symbols are incredibly rare.

None of the new changes are terrible on paper, they were just executed poorly. Black on red is very visually striking, and it draws attention from the important parts of the card (art, text) to the fucking copyright info. That isn't a place most players will ever look at for more than three seconds, so why make it stand out so much?

Embarrassingly, I know little about living with color blindness. I like that more information is being conveyed to more people without changing what others have become accustomed to with the extra rarity information at the bottom. If I had to nitpick, I would have preferred the whole word be there but idk how that would impact machine reading or foreign language printing or the inevitable introduction of double secret rare.

Speaking of foreign language editions, it's already tiring to sift through comments of "lol thx for telling me my card is English!". The foreign language card market is already kind of niche, but if putting the language on the card lets more people participate who cares? Do we really need RON SPENCER taking up a whole bunch of space? (Also, maybe this is an indication that they plan on one day introducing printings in less common languages, especially CIS ones that an unfamiliar eye might not be able to differentiate from Russian, there's also the hope that we might get Brahmic script language cards someday.)

GAF what are some drafting strats? Specifically with theros?

I've drafted a bunch of time and generally finish last. Once I got 3rd but that was a fluke.

Found time for another Cube draft; this time enough time to do Swiss. I just got to chain Buried Alive (Sheoldred, Griselbrand, Sphinx of the Steel Wind) into Living Death. I don't care what happens next. :)

EDIT: Damn it! I punted a sure win in game three of match two because I didn't pay attention to what step MODO was on and I cast a Corpse Dance on my opponent's second main instead of his end step. I really need to stop making these stupid punts when I play MODO; I know the user interface is complete shit, but I've been playing long enough to where I shouldn't do stuff like that.

Hero

It's good for colorblind people - it's the reason for the additional rarity marker.

Hero, I didn't play you in HS in Arena, did I?

I don't think so though I'm not positive since I'm bad at paying attention to names of opponents. I only played the free Arena draft they gave me and picked Paladin since I didn't know any of the classes they offered me. Would've been over the weekend and my display handle is hero.

We literally have nothing between us. I think $100 Australian would be my limit but preferably less.

I would definitely suggest going the route of a common/uncommon block Cube then to start.

Found time for another Cube draft; this time enough time to do Swiss. I just got to chain Buried Alive (Sheoldred, Griselbrand, Sphinx of the Steel Wind) into Living Death. I don't care what happens next. :)

EDIT: Damn it! I punted a sure win in game three of match two because I didn't pay attention to what step MODO was on and I cast a Corpse Dance on my opponent's second main instead of his end step. I really need to stop making these stupid punts when I play MODO; I know the user interface is complete shit, but I've been playing long enough to where I shouldn't do stuff like that.

So playing it on his End step would allow it to remain in play during your turn?

I need to learn all of these little intricacies to the steps, and the stack for that matter.

So playing it on his End step would allow it to remain in play during your turn?

I need to learn all of these little intricacies to the steps, and the stack for that matter.

Yep.

The Sheoldred would have been lethal by itself, so I could have done it on my turn. But I wanted to get the upkeep trigger to pick up the Sphinx of the Steel Wind from my graveyard as well, just in case something went wrong.

Lucario

GAF what are some drafting strats? Specifically with theros?

I've drafted a bunch of time and generally finish last. Once I got 3rd but that was a fluke.

The best advice I've gotten for theros was to "draft decks that do things". It's super easy to make a durdley black/X list that starts on turn three and doesn't really go anywhere, and the end result is getting blown out by opponents who have more cohesive strategies. You should always have goals in mind when drafting Theros.

Completely ignore BREAD. It's irrelevant now that removal spells cost five or six mana and common creatures have multiple abilities. Nimbus Naiad is a much better first pick than something like Sip of Hemlock, and I mean muuuuuch better.

Here's some format analysis, including cards with the top win percentages:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/limited/analysis/draft/theros-theros-theros

A lot of these are misleading -- especially expensive or situational cards -- but you can still get a decent feel for the metagame by looking at it.

Anyway, let's say you're looking through this list while opening packs, and get a first pick Dauntless Onslaught. Highest win percentage in the format, but be careful; while it is a fantastic card, it's much better when your deck is built to take advantage of it. Toss it in an average GW list, and it's merely a great card. You want it to be a two-for-one as often as possible.

There's nothing else that really catches your eye, so you decide to take it. First, though, try to remember the other relevant cards in the pack. The signals you're sending are fairly important in this format, but you should also pay attention to what you might get back. If Dauntless Onslaught was the only first pickable white card in the pack, you might just get back the Traveling Philosopher/Leonin Snarecaster that you want!

Now that you have a first pick, you want to focus on the creatures that Dauntless Onslaught will be pumping. Heroic creatures -- Wingsteed Rider specifically -- are the meat & potatoes of most W/U or W/R aggressive strategies. You should pick up Rider next, short of anything but bomb rares.

But wait -- looking at the chart, Gods' Willing and the Ordeals have higher win percentages! What gives?

This is why you can't simply draft a format based on a win % chart. There are quite a few powerful noncreatures in Theros, and even more Bestow creatures that aren't very efficient unless cast as auras. Sure, you can pick up your beaters at the end -- Traveling Philosopher is an example of an above-average creature which often goes late -- but how are you going to win three games with a 12 creature aggro deck? There's enough variance in limited as it is!

Theros is a difficult format, but once you have the basics down and know what the archtypes look like, you will be able to perform at FNM.

Also, switching colors/archtypes in the middle of the draft -- try to learn when it is/isn't appropriate to do so. Most newer drafters are inclined to stick with the color of their first pick, especially if it's a bomb. Know that it's perfectly fine to not play your first pick Underworld Cerberus if you're being passed Ordeals and Wingsteed Riders.

Also, you should draft the deathtouch creatures as highly as you would removal spells. It's a little odd, but true. It's the way you don't lose to Ordeals.

On the subject of my cube draft: my consolation prize for my punt was getting to destroy a Channel deck in the third round. Game one I stuck a True-Name Nemesis and just protected it with Mana Drain, Cryptic Command, and Force of Will. But game two was awesome. He cast a Channel on his fifth turn, and I had Cryptic, Venser, and Force of Will in hand. He tapped Metalworker to reveal Batterskull and Greaves, and then channeled out Emrakul and cast Greaves. When he went to equip Graves, I Vensered Emrakul back to his hand, then Forced his Batterskull. He went from 20 life to 4 life that turn, and I easily finished him off with Shriekmaw beatdowns.

Lucario

Also, you should draft the deathtouch creatures as highly as you would removal spells. It's a little odd, but true. It's the way you don't lose to Ordeals.

Thanks, I completely forgot to mention this.

A turn two or three ordeal is often going to be game. It's very important for the slower strategies to have ways to deal with this, meaning deathtouch creatures are way better than they should be in this format.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I found the best way to draft is to take my money and then just mail it straight to WotC's office.

Because I fucking suck at drafting. I can handle constructed all day, but I lack all discipline necessary to draft.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pick archetype. Draft for archetype. If there's not enough cards for your chosen archetype, shift to the next closest archetype.

The single best way to do this is to play a few games on Magic Online. It does a pretty good job of breaking down the turn and how priority actually works.

I've been doing this lately, playing Pauper before I heavily invest in a real Modern deck. Pauper is a bit strange because it can turn into these extremely long, grindy matches. Especially with the deck that I use that sees me at 40 or more life before very long. And then it can become even more grindy if they play blue and can counter my combo.

There are so many activations that I have lost a few times to running out of time. I'm trying to become a faster player. But I've also F6'd past my turn too. :\

Next deck I will likely buy into is Living End, looks like it's about $65. And then I will look into either Affinity or Jund.

bigkrev

My general advice to players who are new to drafting (but not new to magic) is to just take the best UW Flyers that you see, and take removal to go with it. I think maybe M12 was the last time this wasn't really a valid strategy?

My general advice to players who are new to drafting (but not new to magic) is to just take the best UW Flyers that you see, and take removal to go with it. I think maybe M12 was the last time this wasn't really a valid strategy?

Other than a single cube draft at my LGS I have never drafted before. I have 20 Planeswalker Points on MTGO that I suppose I could spend on Phantom events to get some practice?

I never go to the draft FNM because I feel like I'd be wasting my money.

Jaeyden

Next deck I will likely buy into is Living End, looks like it's about $65. And then I will look into either Affinity or Jund.

You are talking about this deck online yeah? Cause $65 will get you like close to 3 Fulminators in paper. Still kicking myself for not grabbing a playset at £32.

You are talking about this deck online yeah? Cause $65 will get you like close to 3 Fulminators in paper. Still kicking myself for not grabbing a playset at £32.

Yes online and that is also not using Fulminator Mage and instead opting for Avalanche Riders.

Fulminator Mage is $40 in MTGO.

Jaeyden

Urghh...lol. Wow @ 40. Goes to show how much I pay attention to online prices. Well for one mana more Rider does have a bit more reach but less timing options. Speaking of MTGO is Urza block still available? I have tix sitting there for a while, might just go draft it.

Sweet, it is. Any tips?

Karakand

Other than a single cube draft at my LGS I have never drafted before. I have 20 Planeswalker Points on MTGO that I suppose I could spend on Phantom events to get some practice?

I never go to the draft FNM because I feel like I'd be wasting my money.

The other day I saw Urza's block drafts on MODO. That draft was extremely "draft an archetype"
monoblack lol
and might be worthwhile for you if you can dig up some old-ass strategy articles. It's more expensive than a phantom, but stupid commons like Cloud of Faeries are surprisingly valuable on MODO. (Thanks pauper?)

If drafting at your LGS is unsanctioned (i.e. the winners get to rare and chase uncommon draft) it's a waste of your money unless you could play your way into a friendly group that would give you some personal tutoring.

The other day I saw Urza's block drafts on MODO. That draft was extremely "draft an archetype"
monoblack lol
and might be worthwhile for you if you can dig up some old-ass strategy articles. It's more expensive than a phantom, but stupid commons like Cloud of Faeries are surprisingly valuable on MODO. (Thanks pauper?)

If drafting at your LGS is unsanctioned (i.e. the winners get to rare and chase uncommon draft) it's a waste of your money unless you could play your way into a friendly group that would give you some personal tutoring.

Thanks for the help. I wouldn't mind doing this.

I found it, however it may as well be read as binary code. :) I don't know what I'm doing here. lol

I see 8-4 and Swiss being the two options to join. Isn't that how they determine pairing or something? And how long should I expect these last?

Golgari kinda sucks right now, how would you guys feel about a card like this?

Pharika's Blasphemer
Creature- Gorgon
BG

Heroic: whenever you target CARDNAME, you lose 1 life and draw a card.
Sacrifice an enchantment: deal 1 damage to target non-gorgon creature.

0/1

I see 8-4 and Swiss being the two options to join. Isn't that how they determine pairing or something? And how long should I expect these last?

If you are playing to learn, and don't expect to be competitive choose Swiss. You get 3 matches even if you lose, and the level of competition is lighter (you win a pack for each match you win). 8-4 is a single elimination tourney where first place gets 8 packs and second place gets 4. If you are new to drafting, that'd probably mean you are eliminated your first match and win nothing :) If you go Swiss, expect it to take 3ish hours.

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";96263077]Golgari kinda sucks right now, how would you guys feel about a card like this?

Pharika's Blasphemer
Creature- Gorgon
BG

Heroic: whenever you target CARDNAME, you lose 1 life and draw a card.
Sacrifice an enchantment: deal 1 damage to target non-gorgon creature.

0/1[/QUOTE]

Black should never have the ability to remove enchantments, even it's own.

Haly

Heroic won't make a reappearance in Born of the Gods, I'm quite certain of that.

Haly

Is it? I thought the mechanics were limited to the set they show up in. I mean there are exceptions (like RTR guilds and double-faced in INN) but those aren't usually the norm.

I assume the Gods and Enchantment hybrids are the recurring element of Theros, not Heroic.

Hero

Mechanics almost always go through the rest of the block with the exception being stuff like Avacyn Restored or Rise of the Eldrazi.

Heroic, Monstrosity and Scry should all be I'm the next two sets of Theros.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Is it? I thought the mechanics were limited to the set they show up in. I mean there are exceptions (like RTR guilds and double-faced in INN) but those aren't usually the norm.

I assume the Gods and Enchantment hybrids are the recurring element of Theros, not Heroic.

Nah, usually what they do is introduce a mechanic in one set and evolve it in the second set. See: Flashback running through Innistrad and Dark Ascension and Undying in Dark Ascension and Avacyn

Wynnebeck

Banned
I drafted over the weekend for Theros and chose B/U revolving around counters and Nimbus Naiad with Disciple of Phenax and Gray Merchant to finish games after getting down some black cards. Went 2-1. My only loss was to a Selesnya deck that got big shit out fast. I couldn't stop it. Also, doe anyone have any good base decklists for Mono Black. I just pulled a Whip of Erebos from a booster and I think I want to revise my shitty mono black into something as decent as my Esper.

I drafted over the weekend for Theros and chose B/U revolving around counters and Nimbus Naiad with Disciple of Phenax and Gray Merchant to finish games after getting down some black cards. Went 2-1. My only loss was to a Selesnya deck that got big shit out fast. I couldn't stop it. Also, doe anyone have any good base decklists for Mono Black. I just pulled a Whip of Erebos from a booster and I think I want to revise my shitty mono black into something as decent as my Esper.

Here's what I'm running.

3 temple of deceit
2 temple of silence
17 swamp
4 mutavault

4 gray merchant
4 pack rat
4 nightveil specter
4 desecration demon

4 hero's downfall
2 pharika's cure
4 thoughtseize
4 devour flesh
4 underworld connections

sideboard:
3 erebos, god of the dead
3 dark betrayal
3 duress
2 pharika's cure
4 lifebane zombie

This is a top tier deck, but it will run you over $300 since mutavault is stupidly expensive right now. Provided that you're a decent player, you'll win tournaments with it if that's what you're into.

If you are playing to learn, and don't expect to be competitive choose Swiss. You get 3 matches even if you lose, and the level of competition is lighter (you win a pack for each match you win). 8-4 is a single elimination tourney where first place gets 8 packs and second place gets 4. If you are new to drafting, that'd probably mean you are eliminated your first match and win nothing :) If you go Swiss, expect it to take 3ish hours.

Okay, thanks for the explanation.
3ish hours... so it does have some time investment involved.

About my LGS and their drafts, I do believe they register your DCI number, at least I know that they do for constructed play. I've heard of at least one individual that drafts but almost always takes the rares he comes across, regardless of the colors he is drafting.

Well the basic idea of the set is Gods, Heroes and Monsters, so I'd imagine that Bestow, Heroic and Monstrous are all coming back. And scry was brought back to help with the theme so I doubt it's going anywhere.

About my LGS and their drafts, I do believe they register your DCI number, at least I know that they do for constructed play. I've heard of at least one individual that drafts but almost always takes the rares he comes across, regardless of the colors he is drafting.

I'm pretty lucky because I do most of my drafting at work, and we've cultivated an environment of not rare drafting. I was in a draft once where Sphinx's Revelation almost wheeled (6th pick... it was 3rd pack) because that's how far it went before someone needed it for their draft deck. I REALLY wanted one for my cube, but I had some compelling pick for whatever colors I was drafting (if I had to guess, probably I was in black and saw a Stab Wound).

I also have passed an offcolor Planeswalker (m13 Liliana when I was building Izzet colors). I won that draft though, so I guess it was the right call.

I'm pretty lucky because I do most of my drafting at work, and we've cultivated an environment of not rare drafting. I was in a draft once where Sphinx's Revelation almost wheeled (6th pick... it was 3rd pack) because that's how far it went before someone needed it for their draft deck. I REALLY wanted one for my cube, but I had some compelling pick for whatever colors I was drafting (if I had to guess, probably I was in black and saw a Stab Wound).

I also have passed an offcolor Planeswalker (m13 Liliana when I was building Izzet colors). I won that draft though, so I guess it was the right call.

That's cool. I'd love to play Magic at work. hah

Watching some Modern on MODO and seeing Nykthos tap a lot of mana for Genesis Wave is pretty interesting.
It put out 6 different creatures, all with green mana symbols. Then he did another Genesis Wave for 23. o_O Yeah, dumped a crap ton of creatures from his deck onto the board.

ultron87

On the topic of returning mechanics I interested in how they are going to do a new spin on bestow. I'd like to see something like breaking the symmetry between the creature and the enchantment buff so you could do stuff like negative bestoways you can toss on an opponent creature.

But I think Maro might have said they won't do that. Or that might have been just in Theros.

Yeef

Bestow was originally in Born of the Gods and then moved into Theros. If you look at the bestow creatures in THeros, they're all basic, familiar abilities associated with their color. I'm guessing in Born of the Gods, the P/T bonus will still be tied to the creature form, but the effects will be more off-kilter and interesting.

An-Det

Here's a situation. You're playing Punishing Jund and playing against 12 Post. You have 4 lands, a Scavenging Ooze and a Bloodbraid in play, the opponent only has a few lands but none are Cloudposts. You duress and see Ponder, Brainstorm, and a few junk lands. Do you take the Ponder or Brainstorm? I took Ponder, but I'm not sure of it. Now the real question: he's got no action, you have a Red Elemental Blast, Deathrite, Tarmogoyf, and one or two unneeded things. If you drop both he's at lethal next turn. Do you:

A: Do nothing, keep 3 lands and the REB in hand free and pass the turn.
B: Drop either DRS or Goyf, keep REB up and pass.
C: Drop both, since it's lethal. Fuck it, what's the worst that could happen?

Well I'll tell you what the worst thing that could happen is, because I went for option C. He draws for his turn, Brainstorms, and plays Show and Tells Emrakul into play. Lesson learned here: if your thought process starts with "fuck it, what's the worst that could happen?", dont fucking do it.

OnPoint

Was def the right move. You won, but also, that Lili sucks.

Karakand

If someone's doing that kind of rare drafting (the rare drafting I meant was that the top 3 get to pick over all the rares and chase uncommons and everyone else gets the scraps at the conclusion of the draft, sorry) you'll be OK.

Here's a situation. You're playing Punishing Jund and playing against 12 Post. You have 4 lands, a Scavenging Ooze and a Bloodbraid in play, the opponent only has a few lands but none are Cloudposts. You duress and see Ponder, Brainstorm, and a few junk lands. Do you take the Ponder or Brainstorm? I took Ponder, but I'm not sure of it. Now the real question: he's got no action, you have a Red Elemental Blast, Deathrite, Tarmogoyf, and one or two unneeded things. If you drop both he's at lethal next turn. Do you:

A: Do nothing, keep 3 lands and the REB in hand free and pass the turn.
B: Drop either DRS or Goyf, keep REB up and pass.
C: Drop both, since it's lethal. Fuck it, what's the worst that could happen?

Well I'll tell you what the worst thing that could happen is, because I went for option C. He draws for his turn, Brainstorms, and plays Show and Tells Emrakul into play. Lesson learned here: if your thought process starts with "fuck it, what's the worst that could happen?", dont fucking do it.

0eLGTtz.jpg

Ponder can be stronger in a combo deck when it's just looking for 1 card, but your opponent had nothing, so Brainstorm and option B.

Top Bottom