• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Wynnebeck

Banned
Here's what I'm running.

3 temple of deceit
2 temple of silence
17 swamp
4 mutavault

4 gray merchant
4 pack rat
4 nightveil specter
4 desecration demon

4 hero's downfall
2 pharika's cure
4 thoughtseize
4 devour flesh
4 underworld connections

sideboard:
3 erebos, god of the dead
3 dark betrayal
3 duress
2 pharika's cure
4 lifebane zombie

This is a top tier deck, but it will run you over $300 since mutavault is stupidly expensive right now. Provided that you're a decent player, you'll win tournaments with it if that's what you're into.

This deck looks amazing and expensive as hell lol.

Wichu

Also, I saw some new Born of the Gods artwork and I expect there will be a Minotaur god.

Yeah, it's Mogis, the R/B god:
iba0hO62hZbG2Z.jpg

Lucario

So, Chinese counterfeits are getting a lot better.

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1uoccf/beware_very_accurate_fake_cards_from_china_and/

Certain fonts are slightly too thin on certain cards -- mostly ones from newer sets -- and dot matrix printers aren't being used. Aside from that, the copies are near-perfect, and most people can't tell.

This could be.... interesting for tournaments. It's possible to build legacy decks like this for next to nothing, and unless judges start carrying jeweler's loupes, you aren't getting caught. What are they going to do, rip your card in half to make sure they see the correct blue line?

I'm guessing this is the reasoning for the new (ugly as fuck) font, the holograms on rares, etc.... but it'll always be a concern for older cards, and it's kind of scary.

What's really baffling to me is that a lot of people on /r/magicTCG seem to think this is good for the game.

323 upvotes, from someone who has a very interesting definition of 'trading card game':

Yes, counterfeiting is wrong, but I am sick and tired of MTG being more about commodities than it is about playing a card game. I love playing the game, and I love playing with the cards that I want to play with rather than the cards that fit within a small budget.

Because collectors don't matter: only I do! (+9)

but the question is who would it hurt to make a legacy master set. Some collector...

Yeah man, fuck the secondary market! Anarchy! Let's collapse the worth of every LGS's stock! (+107)

If these forgeries lead to plummeting prices of reserve list cards I will be extremely happy.

This guy can't buy into modern because of the reserve list, apparently. (+70)

Attempts to point out that modern's creation was partially due to reserve list concerns were buried.

Don't feel like a dick. The dicks are the people who hold legacy and modern hostage by forcing wizards to stick to the reprint list. It isn't good for wizards and it isn't good for 95% of the playerbase. I am rooting so hard for these counterfeiters it isn't even funny.

I've seen this news being posted on Tumblr.
It's kind of scary for me who in the near future will be dropping 400+ dollars on Tarmogoyf but have to be concerned whether or not it's a legit card.

Lucario

I'm pretty sure Reddit just wants Magic to become Yu-Gi-Oh.

Every standard season there's one $100+ card, everything else is cheap as fuck, and the $100 card is reprinted as a common a year later.

Doesn't that sound great, guys? No collectors, no secondary market! LGSes can't sell singles at all anymore!

jesus fucking christ the entitlement in those posts

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They should just make DOTP a F2P game like Hearthstone.

/lereddit

Draxal

Also, I saw some new Born of the Gods artwork and I expect there will be a Minotaur god.

Pharika (the B/G Gorgon Goddess) Xenagos (G/R Satyr god) and Iroas (R/W Centaur God) have had their art posted and are also very likely to be in Born of the Gods.

Kiora's profile is up as well, and a return to Zendikar is 99% confirmed now.

kirblar

Pharika (the B/G Gorgon Goddess) Xenagos (G/R Satyr god) and Iroas (R/W Centaur God) have had theire are posted and are also very likely to be in Born of the Gods.

Kiora's profile is up as well, and a return to Zendikar is 99% confirmed now.
I mean, Rosewater wasn't asking about Annhilator/Eldrazi 6 months ago for no reason. :p

It'll be 2015's fall release.

Fuck the counterfeiters, but fuck the collectors, too. Or fuck Wizards for not letting you buy cards that rotate out directly from their website, I dunno.

I mean, it's a trading card game, so I can't complain about the secondary market too much but goddamn it took me forever to trade enough cards from drafting to make an esper control deck. Finally did though.

Fucking 16 dual lands.

Traded(over time):
2 Elspeth
1 Foil Elspeth
1 Foil Vraska
1 Domri Rade
4 Noble Hierarchs(which I got from trading pokemon cards lol)
2 Griselbrand
1 Lotus Petal
1 Snapcaster Mage

Lucario

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";96359840]Fuck the counterfeiters, but fuck the collectors, too
[/QUOTE]

it seems kind of weird to be mad at people for wanting to collect a collectible product

unless you mean the collectors who pressured WoTC to preserve the reserve list

... in that case, yes, fuck those guys.

I can't imagine how anyone thinks counterfeiting is a good thing. They are clearly trying to pass it off as original. What if you paid stupid money for tarmogoyfs that were fake? Would you try to pawn them off on someone else?

ultron87

Well those counterfeits sure are unfortunate. If they start coming over in mass it might make me stop buying cards from Ebay auctions and only stick to the bigger sites for buying stuff. And trading becomes a very icky process.

People seem to be thinking of this in terms of a "fuck the Reserve List and collectors, cheap duals and mythics for all!" way. That is comically short sighted.

Lucario

Well those counterfeits sure are unfortunate. If they start coming over in mass it might make me stop buying cards from Ebay auctions and only stick to the bigger sites for buying stuff. And trading becomes a very icky process.

People seem to be thinking of this in terms of a "fuck the Reserve List and collectors, cheap duals and mythics for all!" way. That is comically short sighted.

I found a few of the distributors/partners for the factory making these.

Minimum orders are 1000 sets of 50-58 cards. There are probably tons of these out there already. :(

Time to buy a jewler's loupe, I guess.

edit: I would feel so fucking bad if I was playing against someone in a tournament who had fake cards. I mean, do you report them to the judge and get your free win? They might not even know. I'd feel terrible calling a judge over for that.

People will bring loupes to the tournament to get free wins off opponents who have counterfeit cards, though. If any lurkers are thinking of tracking down the distributors to get their own fakes, they should probably keep that in mind....

hopefully that'll be enough to dissuade people from bringing these to major events.

it seems kind of weird to be mad at people for wanting to collect a collectible product

I just hate trading hundreds of dollars worth of cards for fucking lands. But that's wizards' fault more than anything. Mostly.

Haly

I should sell my fetchlands on MODO before they crash.

Lucario

What happened what did I do?

you're going to make my counterfeit MTGO cards worthless by crashing the market of the real ones :(

(Can you imagine if this news was followed up by a duping glitch on MTGO? These counterfeits are making it terrifyingly obvious how fragile the MTG economy is.)

Karakand

Collecting doesn't have to mean profiteering. I have pages of foil foreign language Scornful Egotists that are worth next to nothing but they're what I enjoy collecting.

e: It's not just the Reserve List, by going out of their way to protect secondary market prices Wizzos creates a reprint death spiral where cards can't be reprinted because people bought them for a lot of money which causes more people to have to buy them for more and more money making it more and more morally hazardous to reprint said cards. Karakas isn't really a hundred dollar card and the inclusion of 3 of them in a 30 dollar Legacy precon on MODO is a tacit confession stating as much.

There will probably be enough cards by the time BNG comes out to run a prismatic deck that's all gods and planeswalkers.

Walking the God will happen, believe DAT.

Haly

I want them to print an Ur-God with "Devotion to Everything".

Great; Reddit is starting the campaign to have everybody buy jeweler's loupes. Fantastic. If this panic catches on, it could ruin player-to-player trading almost entirely. I can't even imagine how obnoxious your local self-professed counterfeit expert at your LGS would be about this...

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Great; Reddit is starting the campaign to have everybody buy jeweler's loupes. Fantastic. If this panic catches on, it could ruin player-to-player trading almost entirely. I can't even imagine how obnoxious your local self-professed counterfeit expert at your LGS would be about this...

I'm going to start playing Pauper solely with counterfeited cards.

ultron87

All things said, I wouldn't be above building a counterfeit powered cube. Not that I couldn't just do that right now with a bunch of stickers.

Lucario

to be fair, player-to-player trading is already ruined.

"What, the trade is $1.50 off! I can't just let myself get ripped off here. Let me leaf through your binder for another half an hour and keep asking how much everything is worth, then insisting on looking it up on my phone anyway."

OnPoint

"What, the trade is $1.50 off! I can't just let myself get ripped off here. Let me leaf through your binder for another half an hour and keep asking how much everything is worth, then insisting on looking it up on my phone anyway."

This is why I only trade with friends. It's just not worth the hassle.

Firemind

In my days we used InQuest. My magic cards bring all the boys to the yard, and they're like, you got charizard?

Top Bottom