• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Oh, Springleaf Drum officially, officially confirmed:

pHOMZO5b5P_EN.jpg

Also, somewhat annoyed that the Monstrous mechanic is the one that got axed and replaced with Tribute. I thought Monstrous was pretty sweet and well designed; Tribute just looks fairly dull.

OnPoint

Oh, Springleaf Drum officially, officially confirmed:

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/bng/KDJ)D(jk2m2389/pHOMZO5b5P_EN.jpg[/img

Also, somewhat annoyed that the Monstrous mechanic is the one that got axed and replaced with Tribute. I thought Monstrous was pretty sweet and well designed; Tribute just looks fairly dull.[/QUOTE]

Feels like an evolution of the Monstrous ability, honestly.

Hero

New Dark Confidant seems pretty close. It's kind of interesting since some control variants don't have to fear losing to itself and can just not swing with him.

Not really feeling any other spoiler.

bigkrev

That said, in April, I'll pick up a play set once the card is under a dollar in case Travis Woo comes up with some mono black aggro deck or something.

Kacar

Man the UW God is busted for multiplayer games completely.

None of the other cards really do anything for constructed play it seems.

How do you figure he needs to be tapped twice to get a card exactly?

I'm just clarifying that, unlike Dark Confidant which just does its thing all by itself, Pain Seer must get tapped in order to get the card from it. So it's not at all like Bob which is a one-card value engine. Pain Seer makes you work really hard to get advantage from it.

Hero

It's not really busted unless you have some instant speed, repeatable creature token producers. It's not going to trigger unless you produce a creature on the previous turn which isn't exactly common in a multiplayer game.

I'm just clarifying that, unlike Dark Confidant which just does its thing all by itself, Pain Seer must get tapped in order to get the card from it. So it's not at all like Bob which is a one-card value engine. Pain Seer makes you work really hard to get advantage from it.

Well, sure we can argue that but it only takes one tapping(untapping) to get a card out of him, not two. And turning him sideways isn't exactly hard to take advantage of. It's not as brainless as Dark Confidant is, no, but it's all about the environment. The drum turns him into a Birds of Paradise. Ral Zarak is disgusting with him too.

Doesn't work like you think. The wording says that the creature had to come into play last turn. So, you'd get a card during the turn of the player after you. Then player 3 goes, the god sees that you didn't get a creature on Player 2's turn, and nothing happens.

Kacar

Doesn't work like you think. The wording says that the creature had to come into play last turn. So, you'd get a card during the turn of the player after you. Then player 3 goes, the god sees that you didn't get a creature on Player 2's turn, and nothing happens.

Ahhh yea guess I read "your last turn". My UW social deck uses a couple moorland haunts so that would work.

OnPoint

I like the idea that both the new UW God and Thassa/Heliod will count toward each other's devotion. (For any of the gods that line up colorwise, really)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I just started looking at the spoilers for the first time so I might be late on this but...

Archetype-of-Imagination-Born-of-the-Gods-Spoiler.jpg

At uncommon? That's absolutely broken in half in limited.

Hero

I just started looking at the spoilers for the first time so I might be late on this but...

6 mana for a 3/2 is pretty bad/fragile other than casting it for an alpha strike and at that point it's kind of like Overrun in blue.

Yeef

Can lead to some decent alpha strikes, but there are plenty common and uncommon of answers, even just in Theros. To add insult to injury, any instant speed removal on this guy during an alpha strike can be serious bad news for you.

Ray of Dissolution
Divine Verdict
Annul
Gainsay
Griptide
Voyage's End
Crackling Triton
Pharika's Cure
Sip of Hemlock
Lightning Strike
Magma Jet
Priest of Iroas
Rage of Purphoros
Artisan's Sorrow
Fade into Antiquity
Nessian Asp
Leafcrown Dryad
Shredding Winds
Time to Feed
Destructive Revelry

y2dvd

I expect more flash creatures in U/W because of the god. Makes sense to have a creature in control in opponent's turn.

Inspire is a nice trade off as you usually need to attack in order to untap it. Pain Seer in W/B aggro is a no brainer. Probably will see 4 Frontline Medics more often as he'll allow Inspired creatures to attack freely when FM's Battalion is triggered.

Heroic has to return after seeing Bestow return right? Would be scary as those Bestow are dirt cheap to cast.

How will hybrid cards work? Will Nightveil Specter give 6 devotions to the B/U god?

Well, sure we can argue that but it only takes one tapping(untapping) to get a card out of him, not two. And turning him sideways isn't exactly hard to take advantage of. It's not as brainless as Dark Confidant is, no, but it's all about the environment. The drum turns him into a Birds of Paradise. Ral Zarak is disgusting with him too.

Well, the original comment was discussing how to get to +1 cards, which is two activations.

And the drum turns anything into a Birds, to be fair. It's not exactly like that's a particular busted interaction; the drum is clearly in the set to enable all sorts of Inspired shenanigans. I doubt that Drum into Pain Seer is going to be that much better than, say, just playing Underworld Connections.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Tribute seems fun and I really love the design of the UW God. I'm still just super hyped to see the other nine, all of the Gods so far have had very clever designs

y2dvd

Imposing Sovereign gets hit a little from Inspired. I wouldn't even want to run it against Pain Seer.

Ephara is in a weird place. It's too slow for a W/U humans deck and U/W control just doesn't run enough permanents to make it a god nor will it run enough creatures to trigger much draws. The card spot is tight enough as it is already. Ephara will have to work in some midrange deck.

Lucario

Pain Seer is going to see some Standard play, I'm guessing. Two mana for a bear that might draw me a card (especially in black) is already something I'm interested in playing.

Getting your first draw on turn 4 at the earliest seems like a bigger problem than life loss.

Firemind

Hope there will be inspiration dudes with haste. Kind of underwhelming in aggro otherwise.

Maybe it'll have The One.

1R
Haste
Inspiration - When ~ becomes tapped, you may have it deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
2/1

f0rk

Pain Seer is going to see some Standard play, I'm guessing. Two mana for a bear that might draw me a card (especially in black) is already something I'm interested in playing.

Getting your first draw on turn 4 at the earliest seems like a bigger problem than life loss.

With Springleaf Drum in the format where it's more feasible to dumb your hand isn't it possible Blood Scriviner will be more consistent?

MjFrancis

I'm a handful of cards away from putting together a Rakdos Aggro Humans deck and this may fit in. I'll equip Witches Eye for him and see where that gets me. Otherwise card draw on T4 is almost too little too late, but on the other hand it's better than nothing B/R Aggro is short on any card draw. I won't pay too much for this one. It would be nice to use the extra draw more than once and get an idea of how much life you'll give with Witches Eye.

f0rk

Underworld Connections is loads better than that, and you are putting bad cards that don't kill anybody in your supposed aggro deck.

MjFrancis

That came to mind shortly after I posted. Someone will use that combo in a control deck somewhere though, as bad as it may be. Even then you still have Read the Bones and Underworld Connections, or in the right deck an Altar's Reap. I think if I use him I'll just be happy with a 2/2 for 2 that might get me a card on T4. At the very least Xathrid Necromancer will pull another 2/2 out of him if he doesn't.

y2dvd

Hope there will be inspiration dudes with haste. Kind of underwhelming in aggro otherwise.

Maybe it'll have The One.

1R
Haste
Inspiration - When ~ becomes tapped, you may have it deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
2/1

That is way too broke.
T1: Rackdos Cackler
T2: BTE BTE (The One), swing for 4
T3: Untap, you already did 7 dmg w/o even attacking T3 yet. It would be too fast for any control decks.

OnPoint

Been out of standard for a while, but I've been thinking about brewing some fun stuff. Anyone else think a Jund build using Underworld Cerberus at the top of the curve could be good?

I'm thinking a backbone of Sylvan Caryatid, Boon Saytr, Hero's Downfall, Mizzium Mortars, maybe Xenagos... I don't know, it feels more midrangey than aggro. It's a really rough sketch in my head right now.

Firemind

That is way too broke.
T1: Rackdos Cackler
T2: BTE BTE (The One), swing for 4
T3: Untap, you already did 7 dmg w/o even attacking T3 yet. It would be too fast for any control decks.

About time. When was the last time a red aggro deck dominated standard? It has all been midrange, control, tempo, since... Time Spiral/Ravnica?

MjFrancis

Why would control ever want to use it? Control needs to stay alive and not lose x life for one card.
More like Orzhov control or Midrange then? Life is voluntarily given up left and right in those builds. I'm just brainstorming some sort of use for it. It's like Duskmantle Seer, just sitting there begging to be used. Like the Seer, it may never find it's place, either.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I'm mainly a legacy player (storm, tempo decks) looking to break into modern.

What are some decks I should look into?

Lucario

About time. When was the last time a red aggro deck dominated standard? It has all been midrange, control, tempo, since... Time Spiral/Ravnica?

ZEN-Scars standard.

All of these in the same standard format:

Goblin Guide
Bolt
Shrine of Burning Rage
Grim Lavamancer
Goblin Bushwacker
Teetering Peaks
Chandra's Phoenix

....It still wasn't dominant

Top Bottom