• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

ZEN-Scars standard.

All of these in the same standard format:

Goblin Guide
Bolt
Shrine of Burning Rage
Grim Lavamancer
Goblin Bushwacker
Teetering Peaks
Chandra's Phoenix

....It still wasn't dominant

Plus Koth, Arc Trail, Burst Lightning, Searing Blaze, & Galvanic Blast. But then again, this was the era of Caw Blade, Valakut Ramp & Kor Firewalker.

Jaeyden

Prophet's not the ideal top deck to eat with the seer but Thassa can help mitigate that I guess.

Second thought, no she can't. Hmmm.

Still a few pages behind on this thread, but it's been great to read everyone's ongoing thoughts, etc.

Anyway, I had a few more questions (this time relating to combat)... I hunted through the rules and I think I know the answers, but I want to be 100%. Any help would be appreciated :)

Scenario #1
Player 1 attacks with 1 creature, its P/T is 1 / 10

Player 2 blocks with 10 creatures, their P/T is 1 / 1 each

The 1/10 creature will die, I know, but does it only kill the first of the blocking creatures?

Scenario #2
Player 1 attacks with 1 creature, its P/T is 1 / 10 and it has First Strike

Player 2 blocks with 10 creatures, their P/T is 1 / 1 each

Same thing, but with First Strike… Will the 1/10 creature kill ALL the 1/1 guys and take no damage? Or will it only kill the first creature and live because the rest only deal 9 damage to it?

Does Double Strike change this even further or is the same situation?

Scenario #3
Player 1 attacks with 10 creatures, their P/T is 1 / 1 each

Player 2 blocks all with 1 creature, its P/T is 1 / 10 and it has First Strike and Can Block Any Number of Creatures

Reversed, really – but does the 1/10 creature live (being dealt 9 damage) and only kill one 1/1 guy or does the 1/10 creature kill ALL the 1/1 creatures while taking zero damage.

Pieces of these scenarios came up in some games this weekend and at first I thought I knew, but then as I read the rules, I realized I might be incorrect.

Thanks again!

An-Det

Still a few pages behind on this thread, but it's been great to read everyone's ongoing thoughts, etc.

Anyway, I had a few more questions (this time relating to combat)... I hunted through the rules and I think I know the answers, but I want to be 100%. Any help would be appreciated :)

Scenario #1

Scenario #2

Scenario #3

Pieces of these scenarios came up in some games this weekend and at first I thought I knew, but then as I read the rules, I realized I might be incorrect.

Thanks again!

Scenario 1: Since P1 is the attacking player, P1 will choose the order or blockers and thus which of the 1/1's will die.

Scenario 2: It'll kill 1 creature during First Strike, then take 9 and live. Double Strike is the same thing, just killing an extra creature.

Scenario 3: The first, 1 of the 1/1's die, the 1/10 lives after taking 9 damage.

Scenario 1: Since P1 is the attacking player, P1 will choose the order or blockers and thus which of the 1/1's will die.

Scenario 2: It'll kill 1 creature during First Strike, then take 9 and live. Double Strike is the same thing, just killing an extra creature.

Scenario 3: The first, 1 of the 1/1's die, the 1/10 lives after taking 9 damage.

Okay, that's what I thought after re-reading the combat rules. I incorrectly thought that it would keep dealing its first strike damage, but this makes more sense. Thanks!

Flanking on the 1/10 creature would destroy each 1/1 creature in all scenarios though, I imagine.

ydUXMbk.jpg

Fateful Intervention 2GGG
Instant
Put two 3/3 green Centaur enchantment creature tokens onto the battlefield. If it's your turn, scry 2.
Rare

bigkrev

ALL NA/EU/JPN GPs will now have video coverage! More Randy Beuler! LSV and Ben Stark will be doing coverage!

Oh, and that Phoenix today seems pretty good.

INSERT_MOGIS_HERE.jpg

Now THATS an EDH general if i've ever seen one

ultron87

I didn't realize that Tribute was "opponent of your choice". That is cute for EDH.

I feel like that Phoenix is always going to just be a 5/5.

Think the quetion i does Hero of Iros trigger with Bestow?

If it does, he could make bestow quite nasty.

And the phoenix going to piss so many people off. Want a 5/5 flyer or a 3/3 hate flyer that returns to my hand?

ALso minotaur god so scary.

y2dvd

Think the quetion i does Hero of Iros trigger with Bestow?

If it does, he could make bestow quite nasty.

And the phoenix going to piss so many people off. Want a 5/5 flyer or a 3/3 hate flyer that returns to my hand?

ALso minotaur god so scary.

Bestow should cost one less b/c it is casted as an aura. Excited about both that and the Phoenix card!

Kiora currently $30 on scg lol.

The MTGO Release Sealed queues have changed again; they're much closer to how they used to be:

16 players, Swiss pairings, 26 tickets to enter
4 wins gets 12 packs
3 wins gets 9 packs
2 wins gets 3 packs

For reference, before they started screwing with it, it used to look like this (changes underlined):

16 players, Swiss pairings, 24 tickets to enter
4 wins gets 12 packs
3 wins gets 8 packs
2 wins gets 3 packs

Well everybody wait for W/x Bestow decks?

And yeah, whoever came up with the idea for the minotaur god needs to be slapped.

Kiora's price has went up with other card reveals.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
ALL NA/EU/JPN GPs will now have video coverage! More Randy Beuler! LSV and Ben Stark will be doing coverage!

Oh, and that Phoenix today seems pretty good.

INSERT_MOGIS_HERE.jpg

Now THATS an EDH general if i've ever seen one

T1: Rakdos Cackler
T2: Ash Zealot
T3: Boros Reckoner
T4: Mogis, God of Slaughter
T5: Profit.

OnPoint

Mogis is real cool.

Black-Red may become a real thing.

Plus I like how he plays with Underworld Cerberus a lot. No real interaction, but the colors line up and they're both aggressively costed fatties that add devotion.

y2dvd

Remember with Hero of Iroas, all aura spells cost 1 less, including auras that hits opponents. Things like Claustrophia, Domestication, and Pacifism will be nice to cast for 1 less.

Some good auras to cast on yourself:
Whenever the W/B god comes around, Gift of Orzhova seems pretty nice with HoI.
Madcap Skills in Boros.
Unflinching Courage in Bant.

Guess not too many aura spells to take advantage of in standards but we'll see what else gets spoiled.

OnPoint

Remember with Hero of Iroas, all aura spells cost 1 less, including auras that hits opponents. Things like Claustrophia, Domestication, and Pacifism will be nice to cast for 1 less.

Some good auras to cast on yourself:
Whenever the W/B god comes around, Gift of Orzhova seems pretty nice with HoI.
Madcap Skills in Boros.
Unflinching Courage in Bant.

Guess not too many aura spells to take advantage of in standards but we'll see what else gets spoiled.

Boon Satyr bestow.

All the other enchantment creatures, too, at least whilst being bestowed.

Has this been discussed yet?

Fanatic of Xenagos
1RG
Creature - Centaur Warrior (U)
Trample
Tribute 1
If tribute wasn't paid ~ gains +1/+1 and haste until end of turn.
3/3

:O~~

EDIT: Didn't realize Fanatic comes down with an additional +1/+1 if they don't pay tribute. Still this card looks nutz.

Lucario

Fanatic of Xenagos
1RG
Trample
Tribute 1
3/3

EDIT: Didn't realize Fanatic comes down with an additional +1/+1 if they don't pay tribute. Still this card looks nutz.

So don't tap out in standard if your opponent has two red or green sources...?

Like, what the fuck. The Rhystic mechanic is back?

edit: wow I forgot what tribute did

bigkrev

Fanatic of Xenagos
1RG
Trample
Tribute 1
3/3

3 Mana 4/4 Trampler with an easier/harder cost than the GGG of 4/5 Leatherback Baloth. I'm still curious how cost efficient an effectively vanilla creature has to be in order to be standard playable though, because the +1/+1 and Haste is never going to happen

ultron87

3 Mana 4/4 Trampler with an easier/harder cost than the GGG of 4/5 Leatherback Baloth. I'm still curious how cost efficient an effectively vanilla creature has to be in order to be standard playable though, because the +1/+1 and Haste is never going to happen

Tribute not being paid on this guy seems far more likely than on say, the tribute phoenix. With this guy you can just take a hit one turn and then block it with a Smiter or Frostburn Weird. Or just Verdict it.

Top Bottom