• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Karakand

PfD1COxHDV_EN.jpg

Do I dare to dream about enchant creatures finally becoming bad equipment tier?

OnPoint

A store on TCG Player currently is selling them for $36 shipped, so I was wondering if this was a markup or not (in case BNG Fat Packs were cheaper, for some reason).

Oh, getting them cheaper is probably not too hard. They'll "retail" for $40, but cost less many places until they go out of print.

y2dvd

Augh why does Mono black get more tools in Drown Sorrow vs my white weenies? :/ Nightveil survives, Desecration Demon survives, 3 Pack Rats survives. It ain't right!

world spine shuffles back to library

Yes that is true, but while the reshuffle trigger is on the stack, respond by using Champion of Stray Souls ability to reanimate the Wurm. Easily done since if the Wurm dies, it leaves behind 3 tokens. Sac one and get the Wurm back.

Oh god. Apparently my losing streak that I was on before vacation is still. WTF happened to me; I was crushing Theros drafts for the first couple of months, and now I can't win a match to save my life...

Okay, to be fair, today I did draft the RW all-in on Ordeals deck (three Ordeals, three Wingsteed Riders, Dauntless Onslaughts, etc), and I've been blown out by removal every single game. I haven't tried drafting that deck since the first couple of weeks, and clearly everybody respects it now. Or I've just been getting bad matchups. Or something.

Crocodile

proxy.jpg

Lets compare this to the Morningtide Rare Grimoire Thief:

-Exiles face up instead of face down (but Thief lets you look at the face down cards) so your opponent always knows what to play around
-Has one less toughness
-Costs UU to use the last ability instead of just U
-Can only counter up to one spell instead of potentially many at once
-Heroic trigger is tougher to activate than Tap trigger

How/why did they make this card? It's strictly worse than another rare (that sees no play) in FIVE different ways. This just feels creatively bankrupt. Did the real hit the bottom of the Heroic trigger well already?

How/why did they make this card? It's strictly worse than another rare (that sees no play) in FIVE different ways. This just feels creatively bankrupt. Did the real hit the bottom of the Heroic trigger well already?

Ordinarily, "strictly worse" doesn't bother me. But this one does. It's copying such a unique effect, but doing it worse in every way - nothing about it can be used in an interesting way that the previous version couldn't. I wouldn't mind if it did something more interesting, but it's really not (it's not even easier to activate; Morningtide Merfolk were notoriously easy to tap).

rCIZZLE

Is there a reason that an absurd amount of cards have been spiking over the past couple weeks? $20 cabal therapy? $30 stoneforge mystic? These don't look like stable prices lol.

MjFrancis

Augh why does Mono black get more tools in Drown Sorrow vs my white weenies? :/ Nightveil survives, Desecration Demon survives, 3 Pack Rats survives. It ain't right!
I really like the Pain Seer promo, but knowing that Drown in Sorrow is in the same rotation makes me even more certain he'll rarely go off on the card draw.

bigkrev

Is there a reason that an absurd amount of cards have been spiking over the past couple weeks? $20 cabal therapy? $30 stoneforge mystic? These don't look like stable prices lol.

Stoneforge seems like a buyout. No way it gets unbanned in Modern, so unsure why the buyout occurred.

OnPoint

I absolutely love the art in Drown in Sorrow. It's so good.

Stoneforge seems like a buyout. No way it gets unbanned in Modern, so unsure why the buyout occurred.

1. Stoneforge variants are hugely popular in Legacy right now, and getting more popular.

2. The card was underpriced at $10 for a long time.

3. There's a pretty good chance it will never see another standard legal print run.

kirblar

Therapy was due to an accident on TCGplayer's buylist. Showed foil prices as normal ones and made people think a buyout had occurred.

OnPoint

[IMGhttp://magic.tcgplayer.com/images/140115-rage.jpg[/IMG]

Sadly doesn't work with Mogis.

Maybe not but they are really giving Minotaurs their due in Theros. Man. I don't love them, but I wouldn't be surprised to see someone in my play group make an EDH Minotaur deck at this point.

y2dvd

I really like the Pain Seer promo, but knowing that Drown in Sorrow is in the same rotation makes me even more certain he'll rarely go off on the card draw.

Pain Seer probably has the chance to go off in the first game, but Drown in Sorrow is most likely a sb card that will come in and I guess that's where you can sb out PS. I think PS will still see plenty of play as it fits in white weenies and Rakdos aggro. I don't see the point in mono black when you already have Underworld Connection in your deck.

To touch back on white weenies, Boros Charm isn't even safe vs DiS.

Therapy is due to the accident kirblar mentioned. Stoneforge is legacy played in decks that have been top 8-ing, it was bound to move off the 10-12 it was sitting at.

rCIZZLE

Therapy is due to the accident kirblar mentioned. Stoneforge is legacy played in decks that have been top 8-ing, it was bound to move off the 10-12 it was sitting at.

Between rising UWR and declining stoneblade variants, it just doesn't seem like the card is getting more play now than it was before. $10 to $30 is a hell of a jump. Same with $30 to $50 Karn, $13 to $23 Griselbrand, $14 to $22 Wurmcoil, etc. Just a lot more random spikes lately than normal.

OnPoint

Between rising UWR and declining stoneblade variants, it just doesn't seem like the card is getting more play now than it was before. $10 to $30 is a hell of a jump. Same with $30 to $50 Karn, $13 to $23 Griselbrand, $14 to $22 Wurmcoil, etc. Just a lot more random spikes lately than normal.
I thought TNN + SFM was a pretty powerful thing more people were picking up on

MjFrancis

To touch back on white weenies, Boros Charm isn't even safe vs DiS.
If you're splashing for Boros Charm, I'd suggest a couple Legion's Initiatives too. They give your white weenies +1 toughness and you can avoid wrath effects if you leave two mana open to exile your creatures.

That sounds like a great way to protect against Drown in Sorrow to me, unless anyone can point out otherwise.

Firemind

At least Dark Ascension had Huntmasters, Falkenraths and... White Sorin?

No money rares so far in BNG.

But what can you do when there are five mythic gods.

OnPoint

At least Dark Ascension had Huntmasters, Falkenraths and... White Sorin?

No money rares so far in BNG.

But what can you do when there are five mythic gods.

Gravecrawler and Messenger were both DKA popular as well... but there wasn't anything else besides the group we just named.

This set is looking really, really bad so far. I know there's more to come, and 3 gods left to spoil, but I have a feeling Bob Jr. was their big swing in the rare slot. Was a swing and a miss for me.

OnPoint

^^^ Kirblar, how so, by being unimpressed? ^^^

Not possible.

They don't have the balls.

What I'd like:

Seleysnia God 2GW

Indestructible
Not a creature unless G/W dev at 7 blah blah
Put a 1/1 white bird token into play for each G or W devotion at the end of your turn.

4/7

What we'll get:

Seleysnia God 2GW

Indestructible
Not a creature unless G/W dev at 7 blah blah
All of your token creatures get +1/+1

4/7

Top Bottom