• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

What to crash? The speculative BNG market?
Yeah. We know the gods are only 2-3xs at best in a deck (unless you're insane like Thassa) and thus hold less value than say, Voice of Resurgence. None of the spoiled Rare/Mythics are all that exciting for constructed either.

OnPoint

Basically. He's just calling for almost everything to crash. (And he's not wrong.)

From everything we've seen up to this point, the set is a giant turd. It really is so far.

By this point we would have seen the haymakers in past sets, no? We saw the PW, it's so-so at best. Bob Jr is a letdown. Nobody likes Tribute, so the red mythic is especially awful. Both gods shown so far are pretty meh. One of the 5 will probably end up OK.

Call it as it is. These cards look like crap on cardboard.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
From everything we've seen up to this point, the set is a giant turd. It really is so far.

By this point we would have seen the haymakers in past sets, no? We saw the PW, it's so-so at best. Bob Jr is a letdown. Nobody likes Tribute, so the red mythic is especially awful. Both gods shown so far are pretty meh. One of the 5 will probably end up OK.

Call it as it is. These cards look like crap on cardboard.

I dunno, I can see Mogis doing something

Kacar

What I'd like:

Seleysnia God 2GW

Indestructible
Not a creature unless G/W dev at 7 blah blah
Put a 1/1 white bird token into play for each G or W devotion at the end of your turn.

4/7

What we'll get:

Seleysnia God 2GW

Indestructible
All of your token creatures get +1/+1

4/7
man this would be terrible. They might need to change the whole GW devotion thing for the God. Since pumping out tokens isn't doing anything to help her devotion.

Mogis should let YOU as the controller choose whether they sac a creature or take 2 damage. That would instantly make it awesome. But yeah the set spoiled so far is trash

OnPoint

man this would be terrible. They might need to change the whole GW devotion thing for the God. Since pumping out tokens isn't doing anything to help her devotion.

All the gods will have the devotion requirement via design symmetry. I'm OK with the creature dump at the end of turn not helping devotion. I think it's good because A. It requires you to build around it instead of just playing it and winning and B. It would give you two per turn so long as it was in play anyway, because it has two devotion all on its own. Considering it only costs 4, it wouldn't be bad in a quicker, GW aggro weenie deck, maybe even with M13 Ajani, or the rumored third-set GW walker Ajani.

I was going more for a nature goddess type thing there. But maybe a Warrior goddess would be cool too?

Selenya Warrior Goddess 2GW

Indestructible, Vigilance
Whenver SWG attacks, destroy target artifact or enchantment
Creatures you control have Vigilance

6/4

ultron87

It looks like the minor gods are only going to have one unique ability each to show they're less powerful than the major mono-colored ones.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It looks like the minor gods are only going to have one unique ability each to show they're less powerful than the major mono-colored ones.

One passive ability, yeah, no actives. Based on the art I'm guessing that the G/W will be more passive. The token idea is pretty cool and sadly probably not like what we're going to get.

One passive ability, yeah, no actives. Based on the art I'm guessing that the G/W will be more passive. The token idea is pretty cool and sadly probably not like what we're going to get.

xMREArQ.jpg

trollface.jpg

I picked up a Fist of Suns for $2 today.
Also a Worldspine Wurm for $4. I thought the WW had spiked but I was wrong. I only overpaid by a buck and a half.

As for the talk of BNG being a turd, I also thought Theros was as well... other than allowing me to pick up a play set of Thoughtseize for "cheap".

Yeah they are trying to tone down power creep a little too much.

The way tribute should work is to pay the tribute, your opponent must sacrifice a creature. IF not the non effect activates.

Mogis is good though despite how people act.

y2dvd

Mogis is easily the best out of all the new gods this far simply for the fact that something is always guaranteed to happen each opponent upkeep. That Kara is full of yuck lol.

Karakand

As for the talk of BNG being a turd, I also thought Theros was as well... other than allowing me to pick up a play set of Thoughtseize for "cheap".

I like a handful of cards in Theros quite a bit, and see potential (of the fun sense) in some of the leaks, but the block's mechanics have really felt uninspired. It's kind of telling that the ones with the most impact so far are a fix to an unsuccessful mechanic (Devotion from Chroma) and stupid Scry.

ultron87

Xenagos knows how to party.

What's the best possible thing to give haste and pump? Kalonian Hydra's triggers don't quite work how you want it to, but it's still a 12/12 Trample attacking when it comes down.

y2dvd

I would've preferred if Xenagos gave Haste and Trample. Not sure where to rank him yet, but higher than Kara, that's for sure lol.

I like Searing Blood. RDW just got a whole lot faster.

Mogis/xenagos jund with Underworld Cerberus. Toss in some Devour Flesh, Drown in Sorrow, Baby you got a stew goin

I wouldn't run them together. Mogis seems to be want to go in a more tempo deck of killing/burning as your creatures swing where Xenagos seems to want to go in a midrange/ramp deck where you use the burn spells to get rid of early threats.

So this is kinda good.

attachment.php

Is this a sideboard in RDW in mirror or midrange matchup, or is it good enough to maindeck? Falls flat against draw go but I haven't been following standard for the last few months so I don't know how the meta is.

Actually, even in control builds that have stuff like snappies it'll work wonders. Probably a maindeck

Top Bottom