• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

he has drawn jace in all three games

~alright~

edit: holy fuck I won

Ah Limited. The one format where Jace 2.0 is not the best Jace.

EDIT: First try ever drafting ZZW. I don't think this went that well. But I did open Marsh Flats and Creeping Tar Pit, which I guess means that I broke even already.

EDIT2: Yep, as expected, destroyed in round one.

Karakand

Isn't exile normally a white thing?

In my day Fiend Hunter was a black nightmare, and we had to walk 18 miles--in the sleet--to cast them.

(Black usually exiles from graveyard or from library as a consequence of another interaction, but it has had exile creature from play spells in the past, I mentioned Cannibalize earlier itt. Lots of indestructibility in Theros block.)

It's kinda like a pre-emptive Switcheroo.

Reminds me more of Gilded Drake.

New spoiler I think?

jugaerMLYK_EN.jpg
Oooh! I can't wait to test this guy out!

y2dvd

One thing mtgo has over paper magic is the timer. We did Standards at the lgs last night and I played U/W control. Funny thing is I was making speedy moves while my opponents were stalling like crazy. 2 games went to time and we just decided to roll for the win, though I had the clear advantage of winning both times. I was ready to be a dick and be like "we'll call it a draw and no one gets a pack for the win" because I felt they were stalling on purpose. I honestly don't even think it's a dick move and is more like you should not get the chance to be rewarded for stalling.

I sometimes wish some kinda chess clock was implemented lol. Anyways, I'm sticking to aggro decks from here on at the lgs and will only bust out control on casual plays.

OnPoint

I love that they go through the trouble of making the Gods indestructible and then they print that green Disenshuffle spell and reprint Revoke Existence. Makes me not want to even play the Gods.

bigkrev

I love that they go through the trouble of making the Gods indestructible and then they print that green Disenshuffle spell and reprint Revoke Existence. Makes me not want to even play the Gods.

There is nothing wrong with printing answers to cards. They don't want another Jace TMS with no Oblivion Ring format.

So now they just make stuff hexproof instead as an excuse for lazy design

OnPoint

There is nothing wrong with printing answers to cards. They don't want another Jace TMS with no Oblivion Ring format.

The funny thing is that if they printed JTMS right now there are PLENTY of answers to it haha

Garruk, the Interactive
2GGG

+1 Creatures you control have protection from blue and from black until your next turn
-4 You get an emblem with "Planeswalkers you control get hexproof"
-7 Search your deck for up to three creature cards with CMC six or less then put them onto the battlefield under your control
[4]

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Green has been the second best color in magic for a long time now. Put down the crack pipes.

I should preface my comments by saying that I only play Legacy.

Sure in Constructed, Standard, or even Extended green is competitive, but I can't see green ever being better than the other 4 colors in Legacy...

OnPoint

Green has been the second best color in magic for a long time now. Put down the crack pipes.

In standard maybe? In general I always thought Blue was tops, then White with an argument for Black being in second. Red was always kind of good for reach and Green just kind of is a big dumb color. Which is why it's perfect for EDH. Maybe I should reevaluate my thoughts.

Firemind

Green has been dominating Standard and Modern with midrange for a long time now. Blue was on life support last standard block because of Cavern of Souls and other nonsense.

Red is the shafted colour. Always has been.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Green has been dominating Standard and Modern with midrange for a long time now. Blue was on life support last standard block because of Cavern of Souls and other nonsense.

Red is the shafted colour. Always has been.

Red can be shafted all it wants. Still love me some red deck action. Has been my main for the last 10 years. Thick and thin. :p

Its like Q in Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike. I always knew he was mid-to-bottom tier, but I probably played with him 95% of the time for multiple thousands of hours. :p

kirblar

Legacy is gonna Legacy. The rest of the game looks at Jund/Pod/ Farseek being the best card in Standard for a year and says "lol ok."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";98204156]Wow, servant of tymaret is the only inspired card with a tap ability?

Can you regenerate a creature that isn't about to take damage?[/QUOTE]

Technically yes, but not in the way you think. What Regeneration does is put up a temporary effect that says "The next time this creature would be destroyed, it isn't. Tap it and remove all damage from it."

So you can activate regeneration on a dude as many times as you want but it won't do anything until they actually get blown up.

bigkrev

Legacy is gonna Legacy. The rest of the game looks at Jund/Pod/ Farseek being the best card in Standard for a year and says "lol ok."

Yep, in this era of "fair" cards, green is dominant, because it's best at all the "fair" things in the game. Legacy is defined by the battle between fair decks and unfair decks, with Force of Will being the glue holding the whole format together.

MjFrancis

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";98204156]Wow, servant of tymaret is the only inspired card with a tap ability?[/QUOTE]I'm hoping the next set gives Ral Zarek something untap. His +1 is a combo piece waiting to happen, and it just hasn't worked yet. I figured someone would use him to untap Nykthos and drop some bombs with him but so far he's still best used as a Lightning Strike on turns 4 & 5 on kitchen table competition.

kirblar

Nope, enemy color pairs are next set. I'm really curious to see what they do for U/R and U/G

Oh who am I kidding, U/R is going to involve copying or doing something to instants and sorceries
You should get 2 U/R Mythics, though. And Humphreys is definitely not averse to pushing mythic cards. (His big set issue has tended to be make "don't make limited obnoxious")

Green sucks in Legacy, wut?

Legacy goes in color domination: Blue(the great god of Legacy), Black(new Lili and DRS along with Grieselbrand), Green then the other two. Just in number of cards played. Note, SFM is the exception.

The Adder

Banned
I'm hoping the next set gives Ral Zarek something untap. His +1 is a combo piece waiting to happen, and it just hasn't worked yet. I figured someone would use him to untap Nykthos and drop some bombs with him but so far he's still best used as a Lightning Strike on turns 4 & 5 on kitchen table competition.

Hopefully there are more cards with Inspired that make it worth while next set. Arbiter of the Ideal is okay for it.

OnPoint

Green sucks in Legacy, wut?

Legacy goes in color domination: Blue(the great god of Legacy), Black(new Lili and DRS along with Grieselbrand), Green then the other two. Just in number of cards played. Note, SFM is the exception.

Swords to Plowshares stands out to me as well on the white side as an always relevant card.

I rest my case.

This is why I don't believe Young Pyromancer is the part of this cycle like everyone seems to think. It's just not anywhere near as good.

SoP is good one. What I meant in overall color balance. There are typically more U/G/B in Legacy currently.

The white cards that are present in top decks are SoP,SFM, Lingering souls, Detention Sphere and Supreme Verdict.

Two of those are part blue as well.

White is still better than red though.

Yeef

we just decided to roll for the win
This is actually against the tournament rules. Randomly determining a winner is grounds for disqualification.In the future, you should probably just let it go to time if you can't agree who 's going to concede.

Nope, enemy color pairs are next set. I'm really curious to see what they do for U/R and U/G

Oh who am I kidding, U/R is going to involve copying or doing something to instants and sorceries
So far, the only cards to mention Keranos are Lightning Strike, Steam Augury, and a card from the new challenge deck. So, yeah, probably something instant and sorcery related.

Firemind

Brainstorm over Ancestral Visions.

And Young Pyromancer is no where near the other 2 drops.

Well, my point is that the last printed mono red one mana card that made a lasting impact across formats is a card that was first printed in 1993. Maybe Goblin Guide, but it doesn't see Modern play, so meh. You can substitute Ancestral Visions for Delver Secrets.

On your second point, yeah that was basically what I was aiming at.

Well, my point is that the last printed mono red one mana card that made a lasting impact across formats is a card that was first printed in 1993. Maybe Goblin Guide, but it doesn't see Modern play, so meh. You can substitute Ancestral Visions for Delver Secrets.

On your second point, yeah that was basically what I was aiming at.

It doesn't? I thought it showed up in a variety of Zoo lists, but I haven't been following Modern lately.

Top Bottom