• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

joelseph

Someone put the Columbus Legacy matches on the tv last night during our Thursday night games, I couldn't stop watching! Makes for good entertainment!

MjFrancis

sanguimancy.jpg

Would this card be broken if it said "target player" instead of "you" or would it just be that much more awesome?

OnPoint

So after seeing Stoneforge jump in price, and Grisselbrand jump, I'm starting to pony up and grab things I think will jump. My big one today was Emrakul. I finished my playset. I think he's too cheap given how often he's played in 2 formats. Anybody else watching any cards for jumps?

Firemind

I don't understand how JTMS can still be valued at $80. Sure, Worldwake had a limited print run, but there can't be that many vintage/legacy decks that he's an automatic four-of. Is it solely due to EDH? There should be a planeswalker restriction in EDH. Shit is getting ridiculous.

So what color is everyone choosing for the prerelease? It seems like everyone is gonna go black, so I'm picking green to try and go against some of that.

Green/white is looking stronger than ever but goddamn that white promo is ugly.

kirblar

I don't understand how JTMS can still be valued at $80. Sure, Worldwake had a limited print run, but there can't be that many vintage/legacy decks that he's an automatic four-of. Is it solely due to EDH? There should be a planeswalker restriction in EDH. Shit is getting ridiculous.
The copies drop out of circulation.

Jaeyden

Huh? EDH? You can only have one JTMS in an EDH deck and to be fair I don't think he's that good in multiplayer games. Whenever I've played him he's just a big fat target and doesn't get much done (3-5 player games). He's awesome in French rules though.

f0rk

So after seeing Stoneforge jump in price, and Grisselbrand jump, I'm starting to pony up and grab things I think will jump. My big one today was Emrakul. I finished my playset. I think he's too cheap given how often he's played in 2 formats. Anybody else watching any cards for jumps?

I bought a playset of Geists today off someone, don't know about it jumping but I think they are a bit undervalued atm like Stoneforge was. In Europe at least.

Modern win a box tomorrow. Going to stay on my initial UWR configuration and see how I do, might consider switching in the Geists or dropping creatures for the Sphinx's Rev more hard control version afterwards.

Firemind

The copies drop out of circulation.

So EDH players?

Huh? EDH? You can only have one JTMS in an EDH deck and to be fair I don't think he's that good in multiplayer games. Whenever I've played him he's just a big fat target and doesn't get much done (3-5 player games). He's awesome in French rules though.

More like how almost every EDH deck has 5+ planeswalkers and since people keep several decks, it adds to a shit ton of them and keeps them out of circulation.

Crocodile

*Looks over full spoiler*

What happened here?

Tribute is a massive step down from Monstrosity
All the new devotion cards suck and way too few of them are actual permanents
Inspired is just a worse/lamer implementation of the Q mechanic from Shadowmoor block

Like the only cards that look interesting/fun are the OBVIOUSLY pushed ones like "King Leonidas" and "Almost Oracle of Mul Daya" Centaur. I'm making an enchantment theme Cube so I will end up finding a use for a decent number of these cards but I can't say a lot of them excite me. This set seems like a big set down from Theros :/

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";98357942]So what color is everyone choosing for the prerelease? It seems like everyone is gonna go black, so I'm picking green to try and go against some of that.

Green/white is looking stronger than ever but goddamn that white promo is ugly.[/QUOTE]

Red I think. The promo is the strongest and the commons/uncommons in Red don't look significantly worse enough than the other colors to off set that (thankfully)

esterk

I was wondering if they were going to reprint this in this block.

uAY1xlWtxE_EN.jpg

Fuck your God cards. This reprint makes me very happy, though it was kind of a given.

Bleh spoiler season. Drafts are going to be weird. Is this drafting set all Born of the Gods? Because except for bloue, it seems like all the other affinity stuff is pretty terrible for Limited.

Fuck your God cards. This reprint makes me very happy, though it was kind of a given.

Bleh spoiler season. Drafts are going to be weird. Is this drafting set all Born of the Gods? Because except for bloue, it seems like all the other affinity stuff is pretty terrible for Limited.

I believe the draft format is BTG-THS-THS.

rCIZZLE

If all goes well I'll be playing in a modern GPT later today. Not used to the format at all and some of my MD is missing but the power level of the cards I'm playing should just give me a free match or two. I'll let you guys know later how I did.

An-Det

If all goes well I'll be playing in a modern GPT later today. Not used to the format at all and some of my MD is missing but the power level of the cards I'm playing should just give me a free match or two. I'll let you guys know later how I did.

Good luck! What are you playing/missing?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Psyched to do the prerelease. It's been almost 4 years since i have done one and i got third place last time. Not too sure which color i will go with...

Is the pre-release sealed deck or booster draft?
I assume sealed because I think there are a lot of people that show up for pre-release and I think governing a draft would be tough...
But I've never gone to a pre-release or played in a draft or sealed deck tournament.

If I go this would be my first time and I only go to the constructed format FNM's.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Is the pre-release sealed deck or booster draft?
I assume sealed because I think there are a lot of people that show up for pre-release and I think governing a draft would be tough...
But I've never gone to a pre-release or played in a draft or sealed deck tournament.

If I go this would be my first time and I only go to the constructed format FNM's.

My store is big enough to do both Sealed, Draft and THG Sealed (the last of which is always what I do) but smaller ones might just do Sealed I guess

Yeef

Pre-release is required to be sealed or 2HG sealed. There are some stores that will do draft anyway, even though they're not supposed to.

rCIZZLE

Good luck! What are you playing/missing?

Played BRW midrange and ended up 3-1-1 in swiss, 4th seed in top 8, and went 1-1 for 3rd or 4th out of 23. Great results considering this is the first modern I've ever played and I was misplaying pretty hard at points. Getting used to manabases on modern is probably the biggest challenge for me. Ended up winning against Affinity, Soul Sisters, UWR control, and BUG midrange. Losses came against RG Tron and UWR control (top 8, different person).

Decklist

23 LANDS
4 Marsh Flats
4 Arid Mesa
2 Godless Shrine
2 Blackcleave Cliffs
2 Blood Crypt
1 Plains
1 Overgrown Tomb
2 Verdant Catacombs
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Vault of the Archangel

12 CREATURES
4 Dark Confidant
4 Deathrite Shaman
2 Grim Lavamancer
2 Tidehollow Sculler

18 INSTANTS and SORCERIES
4 Path to Exile
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lingering Souls
3 Thoughtseize
2 Lightning Helix
2 Inquisition of Kozilek

7 OTHER SPELLS
3 Liliana of the Veil
1 Sword of War and Peace
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 Ajani Vengeant

SIDEBOARD
1 Batterskull
2 Stony Silence
3 Mirran Crusader
1 Pithing Needle
2 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Sowing Salt
1 Wear / Tear
2 Ancient Grudge
1 Rakdos Charm
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence

Basically taken from the streamer Bahra_ after watching it a few times, liking it, and realizing I owned basically all of the expensive pieces. Wasn't even sure I was going until last night so my deck definitely wasn't complete with a couple MD lavaclaw reaches and SB rule of law (over canonist) and sowing salts missing. Figured it was worth going to start getting some experience in case I make it out to GP Richmond.

Played BRW midrange and ended up 3-1-1 in swiss, 4th seed in top 8, and went 1-1 for 3rd or 4th out of 23. Great results considering this is the first modern I've ever played and I was misplaying pretty hard at points. I'll have to get a list up for you guys to give feedback on when I'm at my PC later.

So jealous! I got first place at my modern tournament tonight. There were 6 of us =/

Well, I'm 3-for-3 in opening fetchlands in ZZW drafts online (2 Marsh Flats, 1 foil Verdant Catacombs). So that's cool. My third draft was Boros aggro, in which each match went to three games and two of those three matches featured me getting horribly manascrewed in game three.

I did three drafts, and I feel like I've experienced enough it to "get" what it was all about. We just had Gatecrash earlier this year (EDIT: last year; it's 2014 now - time flies fast!); that was about as fast as I like my draft formats to be. I'm not particularly motivated to draft any more of it; I'll take the last of my prize packs and sell them, then liquidate these fetchlands in a couple of months when Modern is in full swing again (but before the inevitable reprint announcement).

My latest pet deck to screw around with in Modern: "Eternal Ruse." It's a riff on Eternal Command, but cheaper (mostly because it doesn't play Goyf) and with a different soft lock. Five mana, Eternal Witness, and Familiar's Ruse. Your opponent can't play any more spells.

uIre6hg.png

It was also my excuse to finally pick up the remaining Scavenging Ooze I needed for a playset.

Also, it follows the unofficial rule that I apparently follow - every deck I ever play in Modern must have red and blue cards in it. Together.

And those filters should be two Flooded Groves and not what they are, but I haven't bothered to buy them yet.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Damn, people are really negative about this set. I only get to play during the summer these days and I only play limited since I cant buy cards the rest of the year, so looking at the cards purely from that standpoint I see so many awesome cards that seem like they would be awesome bombs, like that hag. But I guess I can see how they are pretty underwhelming for constructed play. Although I'm sure there will be a few surprise cards that end up being really good once someone figures out what to do with them. Like there always is.

Firemind

My latest pet deck to screw around with in Modern: "Eternal Ruse." It's a riff on Eternal Command, but cheaper (mostly because it doesn't play Goyf) and with a different soft lock. Five mana, Eternal Witness, and Familiar's Ruse. Your opponent can't play any more spells.

uIre6hg.png

It was also my excuse to finally pick up the remaining Scavenging Ooze I needed for a playset.

Also, it follows the unofficial rule that I apparently follow - every deck I ever play in Modern must have red and blue cards in it. Together.

And those filters should be two Flooded Groves and not what they are, but I haven't bothered to buy them yet.

Cool deck. Costs two mana to lock if you have aether vial with three counters and they can't respond to ruse's additional cost. Well they can respond with the witness trigger on the stack I suppose.

Also, I must have played ten zendikar block drafts by now and zero fetchlands. Sonuva. Can't complain too much since I reach the finals 3/4 times.

Cool deck. Costs two mana to lock if you have aether vial with three counters and they can't respond to ruse's additional cost. Well they can respond with the witness trigger on the stack I suppose.

Yep! You're also not afraid to fire off Ruse early in the game with so many value creatures, and if necessary, you can execute the lock with Cryptic Command as well (counter target spell, return Eternal Witness).

gerg

I know I'm probably LTTP with this, but I really like the design of the zombies this block. It's great to see them have such a strong, distinct visual identity.

bigkrev

Top 8 of the GP: 3 UW Control, 3 Mono Blue, 2 Mono Black.

Dat Diversity

I really hope that BOTG does shake the format up, because it just seems so bad right now.

Yeah, this Standard is bad.

Oh, and since when did the B&R list announcement get pushed back a week? Why the heck can't they be consistent about when it happens?

Jaeyden

uIre6hg.png

Yes! It's my favorite from art to function. Such a great card. It loves Snapcaster and plays great with Boomerang on tempo.

OnPoint

Dat Diversity

I really hope that BOTG does shake the format up, because it just seems so bad right now.
I really like the look of G/R Monsters but it refuses to be good. Makes me sad. I also liked BBDs deck this weekend, but... No placement.

An-Det

Yeah, this Standard is bad.

Oh, and since when did the B&R list announcement get pushed back a week? Why the heck can't they be consistent about when it happens?

The timing of it hasn't been consistent in years. They really should put "next B&R update is on THIS DATE" on the B&R page (not just some random article, but it should be easily seen info), people will still be confused but it'd be an improvement.

y2dvd

Dat Diversity

I do wonder what the percentage of decks were being played in the top 64 or just all entrees. What's funny is BTG gave mono black even more useful tools so its still gonna dominate. I am starting to see GW aggro and GR monsters do well lately. I totally hope milling is a thing with the new god.

Well Dark Depths lands won the Legacy final.

Was the only win condition next to punishing fire. Sideboard a Prime Titan.

Had a Tabernacle of Pendrall vale to stall as well as a glacial chasm.

Note that this is not the Kennen Haas deck. This is a much more traditional Lands control deck.

Also, I love that Reanimator won last week, and now the super-grindy Lands won this week. Legacy is so bizarre.

Well Dark Depths lands won the Legacy final.

Was the only win condition next to punishing fire. Sideboard a Prime Titan.

Had a Tabernacle of Pendrall vale to stall as well as a glacial chasm.

His is more of a combo deck but as you can see in the finals most people concede. Its no fun sitting there for an hour just to die when you have no outs.

Firemind

Standard is indeed boring. More Legacy tournaments pls. I don't think a graveyard-based deck is going to win GP Paris though! I'm going to pack 4 black leylines, biotches!

OnPoint

His is more of a combo deck but as you can see in the finals most people concede. Its no fun sitting there for an hour just to die when you have no outs.
Surgical Extraction out of the board on Loam would have killed it dead, but then you gotta draw it, so, that makes it tough. I like that Lands won, but the last few tournaments should highlight that graveyard hate is needed again.

Top Bottom