• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

y2dvd

New FNM Promos for March and April.

March 2014
arc1420_priest.jpg

April 2014
arc1420_ew.jpg

Lol for some reason Banisher Priest are hard to come by and I need one more to complete a set so I'm aiming for that. I also run 1 Encroaching Wastes so I want both promos!

Will Retraction Helix allow you to tap a creature with Summoning Sickness? Say the creature doesn't have haste. The text says creature gains: tap. I would think it can still tap it even with Summoning Sickness.

Will Retraction Helix allow you to tap a creature with Summoning Sickness? Say the creature doesn't have haste. The text says creature gains: tap. I would think it can still tap it even with Summoning Sickness.

You cannot. The creature must have haste or not be summoning sick. Sorry.

Karakand

A sick creature cannot attack or use activated abilities that include the tap symbol while sick. :)

(Retraction Helix puts an activated ability with a tap symbol on target creature until end of turn.)

Ugh. An epic punt kept me from taking down the finals of the FNM draft tonight (although I have made the finals of every draft I've been to this month, so that's cool). I wasn't really on my mental A-game all night; it was one of those nights where I wasn't particularly motivated and my heart really wasn't in it. I only showed up to FNM because I'd already bought entry last week. I sort of auto-piloted the draft, ending up in my usual blue-red tempo deck that always seems to be open.

I'm so ready for the next set. Triple Theros has worn out its welcome so much...

Lucario

Visual Guide to Limited Resource's Premier (A's/B/s) Commons/Uncommons for BNG & Theros.

Source.

These 'premium common/uncommon' grades were made immediately after Theros came out. There's no need to keep following them. Many of the best cards in the format are completely absent from the chart. No Dauntless Onslaught, no Ordeals, no Gods Willing, no Gray Merchant. Also, as their picks are based on super early evaluations, there's crap like Centaur Battlemaster in there.

I wouldn't blame Limited Resources -- they likely updated their opinions on the format after it came out -- but whoever put that chart together is ignoring multiple months of Theros statistics and metagaming. Seriously misleading stuff, hilarious but not unexpected that it got upvoted on reddit.

Also, Weight of the Underworld is not premium removal in a format like Theros. Even the new choices are really fucking weird.

y2dvd

You cannot. The creature must have haste or not be summoning sick. Sorry.

A sick creature cannot attack or use activated abilities that include the tap symbol while sick. :)

(Retraction Helix puts an activated ability with a tap symbol on target creature until end of turn.)

Thanks for the clarification. It won't always be a reliable bounce spell but looks solid enough to run in limited.

These 'premium common/uncommon' grades were made immediately after Theros came out. There's no need to keep following them. Many of the best cards in the format are completely absent from the chart. No Dauntless Onslaught, no Ordeals, no Gods Willing, no Gray Merchant. Also, as their picks are based on super early evaluations, there's crap like Centaur Battlemaster in there.

I wouldn't blame Limited Resources -- they likely updated their opinions on the format after it came out -- but whoever put that chart together is ignoring multiple months of Theros statistics and metagaming. Seriously misleading stuff, hilarious but not unexpected that it got upvoted on reddit.

Also, Weight of the Underworld is not premium removal in a format like Theros. Even the new choices are really fucking weird.

I agree with most of whats on the list though yeah, what you listed definitely should not have been omitted. How do you leave Nespian Asp out of the common green?

I think blue was the best color in Theros and it looks to continue to be the best with BNG included. As if they weren't evasive enough as it was, they get more fliers, another bounce spell, a tap spell, and an unblockable enchantment. I think I'm picking blue in this prerelease.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Yeah, sadly I am without a car. I don't get how my college campus is utterly devoid of people that play Magic.

It probably isn't.

Put up a few posters advertising an M:TG night (newcomers welcome, bring some extra decks for them to play with). I bet you'll get a good casual crowd to begin with.

bigkrev

Yeah, sadly I am without a car. I don't get how my college campus is utterly devoid of people that play Magic.

Unless you are going to a tiny college in the middle of nowhere, I would find that impossible to believe. You just aren't looking hard enough! Walk around campus areas like the student center at random times, and you will find people playing.

ultron87

So presumably that is from this year's Planechase/Archenemy-ish thing that comes out in the summer. Otherwise it'd have the new frame.

bigkrev

She is number 48/210... which means it's almost entirely multicolor (as they are after all colored cards on the sheet). These products are normally 4 60 card decks, which 210 doesn't lend itself to either.

So normally, you would think that maybe this is a booster set- but how the hell is this card not mythic then?

I'm so confused

It probably isn't.

Put up a few posters advertising an M:TG night (newcomers welcome, bring some extra decks for them to play with). I bet you'll get a good casual crowd to begin with.

Heh. Bringing extra decks is hard when you lack even a single deck!

I only really get into card games when I know someone who plays that lets me try using one of their extra decks! Or if they have a good online simulator, but apparently Magic The Gathering Online is ass since WoTC doesn't know how to internet.

ultron87

The expansion symbol is so weird. The way it is almost symmetrical but not actually really bothers me.

Maybe it is supposed to be a clock so that is why the pendulum isn't perfectly lined up? Time Spiral 2, Summer 2014.

ultron87

That symbol is also kind of like the inverse of the Scars of Mirrodin symbol, which was a circle around a hexagon.

This probably means nothing.

OnPoint

Rosewater's said that they're running into a problem with good set symbols.

No doubt. I've been thinking that for a long time now. New Phyrexia was the last one that I actually liked. Maybe they can just start printing the logo/typeface of the set instead.

ultron87

The ever diligent people on MTGS decoded it:

Cogwork Librarian (4)
Artifact Creature - Construct
Draft Cogwork Librarian face up. As you draft a card you may draft an additional card from that booster pack. If you do, put Cogwork Librarian into that booster pack.
3/3

Madness.

f0rk

So I guess they are going off of the '24 packs to box - built for draft' part of Modern Masters that worked really well for the next special set?

Oh cube is a good shout as well. I've seen people ask for that kind of thing.

ultron87

Maybe it is a casual prebuilt cube. Or it is something packaged like Dominion where you draft, build, and play all at the same time in some crazy manner.

rk post? Cool, I didn't know he still did MtG art.

He's still out and about. Recently, he came by and did signings and such at a local convention here in Arkansas. He had a good time (I'm told he's coming back next year), but only came down on the condition that he'd be supplied with authentic Arkansan moonshine.

He also drew on and signed my playmat. If I remember when I get home, I'll upload a photo of it.

Lucario

Cogwork Librarian (4)
Draft Cogwork Librarian face up. As you draft a card you may draft an additional card from that booster pack. If you do, put Cogwork Librarian into that booster pack.
3/3

Madness.

Looks like we're getting unglued 3, or something close to it.

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

y2dvd

Cogwork Librarian (4)
3/3

Madness.

Holy what?!

ultron87

1. What is that, it sounds really cool

2. It would make sense given that creature's abilities

Wizards trademarked that awhile back. Apparently in the decryption of that code the last word was "Conspiracy" after the P/T of the card. So that seems like a pretty good confirmation.

This is a pretty cool way to start the marketing for this product. Probably inspired by the "accidental" Rootborn Defenses from whenever that was. I assume there has to be more cards planted out there in prerelease packs, because some will certainly get not opened or not reported. I wonder if they are all the same card with the same phone number or if there are additional codes to discover.

OnPoint

Wizards trademarked that awhile back. Apparently in the decryption of that code the last word was "Conspiracy" after the P/T of the card. So that seems like a pretty good confirmation.

I assume there has to be more cards planted out there in prerelease packs, because some will certainly get not opened or not reported. I wonder if they are all the same card with the same phone number or if there are additional codes to discover.

I actually love that they plant stuff. I hope it's something they never stop.

Ok so apparently most of you do not play Duels of the Planeswalkers. Do any of you play Magic the Gathering Online?
or something similar

1. What is that, it sounds really cool

2. It would make sense given that creature's abilities

Pretty much what ultron87 said. Not much else is really known, but speculation is that Conspiracy will be the spring supplemental release (in similar vein of Archenemy or Planechase).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So what's everyone thinking for the Prerelease? I'm almost definitely going Blue, the promo is a sexy sexy card and I think it will complement whatever my THG partner picks

Hearthstone. :p

I googled that and it doesn't seem to be Magic the Gathering. My spoiler tag wasn't a reference to games like Magic, but possibly a reference to things perhaps maybe like Magic the Gathering Online that may or may not exist and may or may not be allowed to be mentioned in this thread.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Cogwork Librarian (4)
3/3

Madness.

Oh man, the rules modifications for this to be real are nuts. So it has an ability thats active when you aren't even playing the game?

So what's everyone thinking for the Prerelease? I'm almost definitely going Blue, the promo is a sexy sexy card and I think it will complement whatever my THG partner picks

I am going blue as well, simply because I have played it the least in theros so far. If there's no blue left, I will fall back to green or black, simply because my last two drafts I ended up r/w.

I like to switch it up.

I googled that and it doesn't seem to be Magic the Gathering. My spoiler tag wasn't a reference to games like Magic, but possibly a reference to things perhaps maybe like Magic the Gathering Online that may or may not exist and may or may not be allowed to be mentioned in this thread.

I have been tempted to reinstall the old microprose Shandalar lately :)

Top Bottom