• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Okay, what's that red guy on the field that's trippling Budde's spells.

An-Det

Okay, what's that red guy on the field that's trippling Budde's spells.

Pyromancer's Ascension

Image.ashx

So I'm sitting on 3 Brimaz, 4 Ephara, and a mess of other cards I don't particularly need. Where's the best place to sell these? I'd like to strike while the iron is hot with Brimaz.

kirblar

Brimaz is not a card I'd want to get rid of. When the set goes OOP he's going to be annoying to find. You can ditch the 4th Ephara though, you'll never need more than 3.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Brimaz is not a card I'd want to get rid of. When the set goes OOP he's going to be annoying to find. You can ditch the 4th Ephara though, you'll never need more than 3.

I mostly just collect, but I'm slightly puzzled why Brimaz appears to be the only clearly super good card in the set.

bigkrev

Notice no Thoughtseize deck in T8

Yep, and this lead to decks like Amulet combo (which basically scoops to Thoughtsieze) preforming well on day 1. Storm seemed a lot better as well- Normally, it's just Jon Finkle playing it, but Kai Budde T16 and Tom Martell T25 with the deck as well.

I'm just super happy- killing DRS has opened the field up to a ridiculous degree. Pod now has to worry about Blood Moon ruining it- I saw that the Storm deck was also running it out of the SB-, Jund is dead (RIP in pieces and good riddance), Faeries did not make an impact, and interaction seemed up. This weekend did tell me that I don't think Modern can handle an unbanned Ancestreal Visions though- blue based controlling decks are very strong right now and the last thing it needs is an awesome card draw spell.

I mostly just collect, but I'm slightly puzzled why Brimaz appears to be the only clearly super good card in the set.

Its not that, but it's the most flashy card, and one of the few good cards at Rare in the set. There are tons of good cards- Bile Blight, Searing Blood, Kioras Follower,Thassa's Rebuff, Drown in Sorrow, Fanatic of Xenagos. However, they are all uncommon! It makes them feel less "special".

Its not that, but it's the most flashy card, and one of the few good cards at Rare in the set. There are tons of good cards- Bile Blight, Searing Blood, Kioras Follower,Thassa's Rebuff, Drown in Sorrow, Fanatic of Xenagos. However, they are all uncommon! It makes them feel less "special".

Mythic Rare, actually. Which makes him even more expensive/hard to find.

So now that everyone's had some time to dig into Born of the Gods, what are your A-pick commons and uncommons in BNG draft?

• White:
  1. Ghostblade Eidolon
  2. Excoriate
  3. Akroan Skyguard
  4. Nyxborn Shieldmate
  5. Glimpse the Sun God
  6. Ornitharch

• Black
  1. Forlorn Pseudamma
  2. Necrobite
  3. Asphyxiate
  4. Spiteful Returned
  5. Bile Blight

• Red
  1. Akroan Conscriptor
  2. Fall of the Hammer
  3. Stormcaller of Keranos
  4. Everflame Eidolon

• Green
  1. Pheres Band Raiders
  2. Raised By Wolves
  3. Graverobber Spider
  4. Pheres Band Tromper
  5. Noble Quarry

• Blue
  1. Nullify
  2. Flitterstep Eidolon
  3. Archetype of Imagination
  4. Divination

It seems to me that white is still the overall best base in Theros block drafts, followed by green. Blue is the best secondary color, and black is less consistent but has the highest upsides in general. Red is still kinda bad overall, but it got some really good cards in BNG like conscriptor and fall of the hammer.

Zoo should play a buncha hate bears instead of loading up on efficient creatures and burn. You can't race storm, outnumber living end or beat pod.

I think the issue is a lot of people bought into the midrange zoo decks due to being afraid of Anger of the Gods, and as a result wound up losing to control decks stabilizing (they are well equipped to handle midrange threats and have nearly infinite card advantage w/ snapcaster and resto angel), losing to combo because they were too slow, and still getting 2 or 3 for 1'd to Anger of the Gods when it did show up.

Should have just played more boros charm if that is what they were worried about instead of mana dorks and knight of the reliquary.

Firemind

I think the issue is a lot of people bought into the midrange zoo decks due to being afraid of Anger of the Gods, and as a result wound up losing to control decks stabilizing (they are well equipped to handle midrange threats and have nearly infinite card advantage w/ snapcaster and resto angel), losing to combo because they were too slow, and still getting 2 or 3 for 1'd to Anger of the Gods when it did show up.

Should have just played more boros charm if that is what they were worried about instead of mana dorks and knight of the reliquary.

I remember old versions of Zoo played Tidehollow Scullers and Dark Confidants. Those are the creatures you want to realistically beat the combo decks and anti-creature decks. Add Snapcaster in the main and Ethersworn Canonist and Kataki in the sideboard and you have a good plan against a variety of decks.

Zoo players should have expected that everyone came prepared for the PT. If your deck couldn't beat a turn one Nacatl, then you wouldn't play it. So what beats a turn one Nacatl: combo decks (Storm, Twin, Scapeshift, Affinity sort of) and anti-creature decks (Pod, Living End, UWR). What zoo needed was a disruption and card advantage package. Sure, the mirror was going to be worse, but how much did people expect zoo to show up? Not more than a quarter of the metagame I imagine. Against the rest of the field, you were going to get better matchups.

Of course, this is all in hindsight. I love the metagaming game though. Sometimes you have to think outside the box and anti-metagame the anti-metagame.

Finally catching up on the last couple of matches from Day Two. The Pardee/Dickmann match was insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00J996JYLGo

Also, it really is incredible to see just how much Jund was keeping the "bad" combo decks down. Even though I still don't necessarily agree with it, I understand why they banned Seething Song alongside Bloodbraid Elf. if the BBE ban had actually killed Jund the way that the DRS ban did, it's possible that Storm would have turned into the best deck in the format. And I'm amazed to see how well it did in the tournament regardless.

kirblar

Finally catching up on the last couple of matches from Day Two. The Pardee/Dickmann match was insane.

Also, it really is incredible to see just how much Jund was keeping the "bad" combo decks down. Even though I still don't necessarily agree with it, I understand why they banned Seething Song alongside Bloodbraid Elf. if the BBE ban had actually killed Jund the way that the DRS ban did, it's possible that Storm would have turned into the best deck in the format. And I'm amazed to see how well it did in the tournament regardless.
People kept tapping out and getting killed because Storm would lay an electromancer and go nuts. It has to have one of its 8 permanents in play to go off unless its going for Warrens.

That was great. I loved seeing the Batterskull in action.
Did you see his Hello Kitty Germ Token he almost got to play? That and the pink sleeves are interesting choices.

That was great. I loved seeing the Batterskull in action.
Did you see his Hello Kitty Germ Token he almost got to play? That and the pink sleeves are interesting choices.

I was amused as well. That being said, he's 36-6-1 in professional-level Modern tournaments over the past year. So he's pretty much entitled to whatever sleeves and tokens he wants.

I was amused as well. That being said, he's 36-6-1 in professional-level Modern tournaments over the past year. So he's pretty much entitled to whatever sleeves and tokens he wants.

Thinking further on it though, I'm curious if it's to throw off opponents such as using mismatched lands, white borders, etc. or is it really just his style. I suppose that I don't really care that much about it, but like you said, amusing.

Thinking further on it though, I'm curious if it's to throw off opponents such as using mismatched lands, white borders, etc. or is it really just his style. I suppose that I don't really care that much about it, but like you said, amusing.

I run all sorts of awful looking white bordered or otherwise fugy cards to make my opponents wince. Beatdown box Brainstorms, 7th edition basics, 6th edition mystical/vampiric/enlightened tutors, revised hurkyl's recalls, the list goes on. If it is an affort to the eternal pimp crowd, I own it.

The best was back in Zendikar to Innistrad when I could run these boys in Standard:

lhRZqHU.jpg

Seriously wtf is that.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";101862572]You were wrong on the thread rules. #2 was admitting you use 50 posts per page

>:-([/QUOTE]

Made the switch to 100 ppp once. Had to switch back. I found that everything loaded stupidly and I skipped reading posts a lot more. Not a fan.

Watching Tian (Blue Moon) punt away his biggest advantage even when given an extra turn to correct his mistake was painful. I mean, I loved watching Twin win, but Tian should not have lost that first game in the way that he did.

I mean, seriously. Just untap at least one of those Shackles. Seriously.

Top Bottom