• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Lucario

I might be doing an economics project for school that's based around the Magic the Gathering economy!

Unfortunately......

Although there's some sort of logic in figuring out what a competitive card should cost based on print run and usage in tournaments, I'm having a lot of trouble with casual fun cards like Glimpse The Unthinkable and Doubling Season. Should I be surveying people based on how 'fun' they think a card is? Surveying people based on casual play? Adding "how unique is this effect" as a variable?

blech...

A lot of a cards worth is popularity, how many formats the card is played, scarcity, and availability. Cards like doubling season aren't competitive but rather popular in EDH.

Standard cards gain and lose favor so often that I don't collect that format any longer. These cards rarely see play outside their respective blocks and lose too much value after rotation.

Lucario

A lot of a cards worth is popularity, how many formats the card is played, scarcity, and availability. Cards like doubling season aren't competitive but rather popular in EDH.

Standard cards gain and lose favor so often that I don't collect that format any longer. These cards rarely see play outside their respective blocks and lose too much value after rotation.

All of those factors are already being considered, and I'm well aware that doubling season isn't competitive -- the problem is figuring out how to determine the values of casual-only cards. I think you misread my post :p

Well, to be specific, glimpse is used in some ravager style artifact decks in legacy, as well as elves, which has been placing in a good deal of scg events. Doubling season is considered a staple in edh, so it seems to be one of those "must own" cards for the format.

I didn't read your post incorrectly so much as putting in my 2 cents. I've been playing since Ice Age so I've had a ton of cards pass through my hands.

kirblar

I might be doing an economics project for school that's based around the Magic the Gathering economy!

Unfortunately......

Although there's some sort of logic in figuring out what a competitive card should cost based on print run and usage in tournaments, I'm having a lot of trouble with casual fun cards like Glimpse The Unthinkable and Doubling Season. Should I be surveying people based on how 'fun' they think a card is? Surveying people based on casual play? Adding "how unique is this effect" as a variable?

blech...
You want my paper? :p

Lucario

Well, to be specific, glimpse is used in some ravager style artifact decks in legacy, as well as elves, which has been placing in a good deal of scg events. Doubling season is considered a staple in edh, so it seems to be one of those "must own" cards for the format.

I didn't read your post incorrectly so much as putting in my 2 cents. I've been playing since Ice Age so I've had a ton of cards pass through my hands.

You're thinking of Glimpse of Nature.

You want my paper? :p

Yes please!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just a heads up, but currently Pillar of Flame is bugged on MTGO, it doesn't exile anymore. So it's just a really shitty shock.

Play them Strangleroot Geists while you can! =p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
All of those factors are already being considered, and I'm well aware that doubling season isn't competitive -- the problem is figuring out how to determine the values of casual-only cards. I think you misread my post :p

I think you might have to evaluate them using a few criteria such as:

1) If it's a creature/permanent, how much impact does it have on the board? (Timmy test)
2) If it's a spell, does it lend itself to any particular niche strategies (mill, discard) or fun but non-viable synergies? (Primal surge + all permanents deck) (Johnny test)
3) Did Woo write an article on it?

For example, it's commonly accepted that every magic newbie tries to make a dedicated mill deck at some point, and Glimpse the Unthinkable would naturally spark the desire to make such a deck.

ultron87

Ugh, that's really gross. Makes me pretty okay with buying my random boosters at the grocery store where they come in individual packages.

The guys doing it all feel great because they're getting great value from their boxes, but the poor kids who keep opening nothing but Guild Feuds are eventually just going to quit.

How do the unopened packs get back to other people though?

Guy with the mapper sticks them on Ebay or similar- 15-20 boosters at a slight discount would sell like hotcakes.
You could easy make enough from those sales and selling off unwanted mapped rares and mythics to fund a decent Magic expenditure.

ultron87

Guy with the mapper sticks them on Ebay or similar- 15-20 boosters at a slight discount would sell like hotcakes.
You could easy make enough from those sales and selling off unwanted mapped rares and mythics to fund a decent Magic expenditure.
Store owners could also increase their per box profit pretty easily by opening and selling money cards while selling the junk packs.

Store owners could also increase their per box profit pretty easily by opening and selling money cards while selling the junk packs.

I could only imagine the stink that would kick up if people clocked onto what they were doing in such a case.

It would be possible though, you'd just have to be careful. For example, you couldn't put a box on the counter with only 15-20 boosters in it. Instead you'd have to map two, and put the junk boosters together in one box.

That might just be my favorite path to victory in a game of magic ever.

He's playing Splinter Twin, I'm on Mono-Blue Tron. The games are lasting forever; you can't stumble one second against Twin or you just auto-lose. I've won game one after blowing 10 minutes on my clock, and we're on game two. I'm taking forever to make decisions and the timer is way too low. He stuck a Blood Moon, so we're all screwed on mana. And we're in a delicious stall: he has Kiki-Jiki and Spellskite (with a Splinter Twin), I have Platinum Angel, Wurmcoil, and Sundering Titan. He's already cast and flashed back two Ancient Grudge.

I topdeck Mindslaver. I cast it, crack it, and on his turn I target his Spellskite with his Kiki-Jiki, hold priority, and pay Phyrexian Mana to activate Spellskite's ability repeatedly until he dies.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a more fun card in Magic than Mindslaver.

I could only imagine the stink that would kick up if people clocked onto what they were doing in such a case.

It would be possible though, you'd just have to be careful. For example, you couldn't put a box on the counter with only 15-20 boosters in it. Instead you'd have to map two, and put the junk boosters together in one box.

Plenty of stores take boosters out of the box and place them in a separate receptacle. I've seen them do this directly from the booster display though, and I'm not entirely sure why they do it. It is propped up and easier to see all the different sets though I guess.

ultron87

There's plenty of non suspicious ways to do it. You can use the junk for drafts or put them in a different display or whatever. I have no reason to suspect any of the stores I go to of doing this, but the mere fact that it is possible is really bad. The belief that each booster pack has an equal chance of being awesome as it does of being terrible is kind of fundamental to a TCG.

Via Reddit:

Sorin vs. Tibalt Decklist!

Sorin Deck

Tibalt Deck

From tcgplayer low-mid: sorin 17$, hellrider 11$, 2x Spectral Procession 4$, Sulfuric Vortex 4$, Ancient Craving 6$, Lingering Souls 2$, tibalt 2$, and a number of 1$ uncommons and rares.

In short... we have Hellrider and Sorin for about $20 and Tibalt deck actually seems good.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
There's plenty of non suspicious ways to do it. You can use the junk for drafts or put them in a different display or whatever. I have no reason to suspect any of the stores I go to of doing this, but the mere fact that it is possible is really bad. The belief that each booster pack has an equal chance of being awesome as it does of being terrible is kind of fundamental to a TCG.

Yeah, like when I boght a Simic intro pack and got Aurelia and Obzedat in my two bonus boosters :lol

ultron87

Via Reddit:

Sorin vs. Tibalt Decklist!

Sorin Deck

Tibalt Deck

From tcgplayer low-mid: sorin 17$, hellrider 11$, 2x Spectral Procession 4$, Sulfuric Vortex 4$, Ancient Craving 6$, Lingering Souls 2$, tibalt 2$, and a number of 1$ uncommons and rares.

In short... we have Hellrider and Sorin for about $20 and Tibalt deck actually seems good.

Yay! I'll definitely be picking this up. I love Duel Decks. Any word on what's getting new art besides Sorin and Tibalt?

bigkrev

Just remember, if your willing to wait an extra week or 2, these will be in all Targets and Walmarts. This is a mass produced product that is generally targeted towards casual/lapsed audiences. Do not pay a penny more than 20 bucks.

OnPoint

Just remember, if your willing to wait an extra week or 2, these will be in all Targets and Walmarts. This is a mass produced product that is generally targeted towards casual/lapsed audiences. Do not pay a penny more than 20 bucks.

Exactly. I'm buying two for the two to three years down the road when they hit 40+ each.

Lucario

gonna buy three or four. I only need the processions and sorins, but.... Yeah. Would be more expensive to just order singles, and there's some other nifty stuff in there.

ultron87

I'll probably buy two. One to keep intact and play, because I have some friends that play Magic but don't really maintain decks, and one to take apart.

Are Duel Deck cards legal in Modern, then? I'm relatively new to Magic and what cards are good for what formats and I'm sure they can't be used in Standard. They're good for Modern though, right?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Are Duel Deck cards legal in Modern, then? I'm relatively new to Magic and what cards are good for what formats and I'm sure they can't be used in Standard. They're good for Modern though, right?

If the card is modern legal normally, it's modern legal from the duel decks.

ultron87

Being printed in a Duel Deck or other supplementary product doesn't change their legality at all (unless it is an entirely new card where it becomes legal in Legacy/Vintage). So you still need to go off of whatever expansions the card has been printed in to determine format legality.

Jarate

Banned
Depends on the card

Duel Decks dont have a "set". If the card was initially only in beta and was released in a Duel Deck, then it would be legacy/vintage only

Gotcha. None of my local shops have any Sorins available. I could buy a couple of these decks and drop the Sorins into my Standard deck then?

I'm finally making it to my first FNM ever tonight. It took me taking a vacation to make it happen. My job always required me to be out about 1 hour later than the event started at any local shop.

Top Bottom