• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";103886976]That's what I meant. Magic isn't really a serious competitive game by design.[/QUOTE]
Neither was SF. Or Poker Variance is fine as part of a (serious) competitive game.

Neither was SF. Or Poker Variance is fine as part of a (serious) competitive game.

You mean SF1? SF2 onwards are all very competitive. You're not going to beat Daigo in World Warriors. I mean that Magic was literally designed to be semi-random as a way of generating fun. It's not a bad thing. There's a reason Chinatown Fair had a no refunds sign on their MVC2 machine. Skill intensity doesn't mean fun for everyone.

The difference between Magic and Poker is that poker isn't played best 2/3 and is basically 100% mind games. You cant bluff your way out of a pack rat assault with two lands on the board. You can win a game of texas hold 'em with a two and seven in your hand.

I love magic and it's a fun competitive game, I just don't treat "pro" play as highly as games with a stronger foundation in consistency. I do enjoy watching pros draft, though. It requires an additional level of intelligence compared to standard.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";103889577]You mean SF1? SF2 onwards are all very competitive. You're not going to beat Daigo in World Warriors. I mean that Magic was literally designed to be semi-random as a way of generating fun. It's not a bad thing.

The difference between Magic and Poker is that poker isn't played best 2/3 and is basically 100% mind games. You cant bluff your way out of a pack rat assault with two lands on the board. You can win a game of texas hold 'em with a two and seven in your hand.

I love magic and it's a fun competitive game, I just don't treat "pro" play as highly as games with a stronger foundation in consistency. I do enjoy watching pros draft, though. It requires an additional level of intelligence compared to standard.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you understand how competitive poker works. Bluffing is only a huge part of poker in movies; it plays no greater of a role in poker than it does in Limited magic. Competitive poker is extraordinarily math-based.

I don't think you understand how competitive poker works. Bluffing is only a huge part of poker in movies; it plays no greater of a role in poker than it does in Limited magic. Competitive poker is extraordinarily math-based.

And played over dozens of games. And people still bluff for huge upsets in competitive poker.

I'd have the same level of respect for magic if every match was played best of 5 or 7. But when Brad Nelson gets to top 4 then loses to a mull to five I shake my head.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";103890534]And played over dozens of games. And people still bluff for huge upsets in competitive poker.

I'd have the same level of respect for magic if every match was played best of 5 or 7. But when Brad Nelson gets to top 4 then loses to a mull to five I shake my head.[/QUOTE]
It's simply a time limitation. M:TG and Poker are both high-variance games, but that simply means that you judge someone over the long run. You should play more poker- mind games are rare.

(Although you do have cases like Zvi Mowshowitz's PT win where it was one man steamrolling the competition with the literal perfect deck.)

Home

Ended up going 10-5 at GPRichmond, despite going 8-1 on day 1 and starting off 10-2 on day 2. The wheels just fell off after that, punted a round against GB and then died to merfolks and jund, and missed money. :(

Re: asscracks, that guy is getting banned for sure, just like dr8sides was banned a while ago for doing something similar at a GP.

It's simply a time limitation. M:TG and Poker are both high-variance games, but that simply means that you judge someone over the long run. You should play more poker- mind games are rare.

(Although you do have cases like Zvi Mowshowitz's PT win where it was one man steamrolling the competition with the literal perfect deck.)

And that's why the GP byes system is good. Institutionalizing an advantage for sustained performance helps to reduce the period of time necessary to smooth out variance.

Or the guy that steamrolled my fnm last week with his little brothers sliver deck that had no playsets and all basic lands in five colors.

rCIZZLE

Ended up going 10-5 at GPRichmond, despite going 8-1 on day 1 and starting off 10-2 on day 2. The wheels just fell off after that, punted a round against GB and then died to merfolks and jund, and missed money. :(

Re: asscracks, that guy is getting banned for sure, just like dr8sides was banned a while ago for doing something similar at a GP.

Nice job getting that far at least. What did you play?

kirblar

God's Beard!";103891368]Or the guy that steamrolled my fnm last week with his little brothers sliver deck that had no playsets and all basic lands in five colors.[/QUOTE] [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGh4ZU4H5Hk said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGh4ZU4H5Hk[/URL]

edit: why is this post acting so weird.

I can't imagine being a female and going to a magic tournament tbh

those asscracks were ridiculous. this isn't anything remotely similar to the guy calling people out on twitter (bully)

pro players are "pros" because of their high win percentage. just like in poker, someone can luck-out. your job is to play the best deck the best way you possibly can to maximize your chances of winning. some games are impossible to win. great players are all about fining incremental advantage to take down those close games that many would consider "luck" but really aren't

I can't imagine being a female and going to a magic tournament tbh

Some dude last week ran around fnm trying to trade for sylvan caryatids to give to my girlfriend while I was standing right there.

Her sister gets free cards all the time too. But man that place kinda smells so I don't go as much as my regular shop.

in a local shop with a buffer (boyfriend) it's not as bad. my wife experienced quite a lot of generosity as you've mentioned.

im talking more for the grand events like SCGs and above

I really need to start playing top tier decks. Having to play without mistakes to barely win just isn't very fun in the long run. Opponents are a lot nicer since they're tired of playing mono black devotion, or pod, or show and tell but that doesn't really compare to the joy from consistently winning.

Hell, even me, Mr Ashiok, is considering cutting them to run more than 4 counter spells in my esper deck. It hurts me. I guess I could go down to 2 thoughtseize and 2 Azorius Charm, but that doesn't seem good either.

And I tried running 4 colors with the red splash for Rakdos' Return. It wasn't working. I did Catch someone's Purphoros when I had Elpeth out once, that was cool.

Completely off topic from MTG

Has GAF ever compiled a wiki or list of legendary threads/account suicides? I know there's the archives but that doesn't have everything.

I recently convinced a friend to join gaf and i'm trying to show him all the gaf classics I know of. I showed him jbaird and angelsoldier and some others already. It was pretty cool actually, we both got $30 italian meals and had a good laugh reading the threads while eating.

Didn't want to make yet another "gaf classics" thread in the OT so I thought I'd ask here.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";103909764]Glad I could help.[/QUOTE]

hahaha

I'm gonna keep a record of all the stuff i find and post it up somewhere I guess. Really difficult since google doesn't catch most of it.

Google does a great job of amirox stuff cause that stuff went outside of neogaf a lot suprisingly, lol.

bigkrev

Completely off topic from MTG

Has GAF ever compiled a wiki or list of legendary threads/account suicides? I know there's the archives but that doesn't have everything.

I recently convinced a friend to join gaf and i'm trying to show him all the gaf classics I know of. I showed him jbaird and angelsoldier and some others already. It was pretty cool actually, we both got $30 italian meals and had a good laugh reading the threads while eating.

Didn't want to make yet another "gaf classics" thread in the OT so I thought I'd ask here.

That thread where the guy's wife had an idea for Nintendogs, and then someone posted an incredibly violent and lewd act he would do on the wife totally unprovoked

Exokell

Banned
just went 4-0 on a standard daily with mono blue devotion. I still cant believe WOTC printed thassa, 3 mana 5/5 with 2 powerful abilities.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I knew I was fucked when I Thoughtseized a guy and he had two Thassas in hand and 2 islands on the board.

kirblar

I think you could play one in Zur the Enchanter as well. That list might be dead without Deathrite though.
I always thought Deathrite was a bizarre fit in that deck anyway tbh. It might be the only "good" way to use Geist, though. (Courser blows him up in the Jund matchup, and Pod was never good.)

Jaeyden

I always thought Deathrite was a bizarre fit in that deck anyway tbh. It might be the only "good" way to use Geist, though. (Courser blows him up in the Jund matchup, and Pod was never good.)

He could t3 Zur and occasionally grind a quick win. It's a cool deck. Just needs a twist.

rCIZZLE

So what are the best stores on modo for modern and legacy cards? Sold $1000 worth of cards at the GP so I'm looking to put together a couple decks online.

I got bit by the Modern bug and can't stop dreaming up decklists. I do have a friend who can help me build almost whatever I want out of his collection, but it's still frustrating to have all these ideas and not be able to do anything with them most of the time, since all I have to my name are three Commander decks and some leftover unopened packs.

Well, I did it. I sold out of Modern on MTGO. I just couldn't justify sitting on that many dollars of virtual goods for a format that I barely get to play anymore, especially if we really are on a bubble (and I'm pretty sure we are). I got $1300 (cash!!) for that collection (and remember - I've only played UR decks in Modern - I didn't own any Goyfs or Lilianas or Bobs or Ajanis or anything like that, although I did have all the fetchlands and shocklands); I haven't been keeping tabs down to the penny but even after accounting for the cut that the dealer gets, I came close to tripling my money.

It's possible that I could have done even better than that by holding on, but a lot of random rares in my collection were on price spikes right after the Pro Tour, and even though cards like Scalding Tarn and Cryptic Command aren't going to drop, a bunch of other rares are poised for a drop and trying to synchronize highs and lows in the entire collection just isn't going to happen. This was a player's collection, not a collector's collection; I didn't have more than 4x of any card in there.

EDIT: Oh, and this doesn't count the killing I made speculating on Bitterblossom earlier this year that became the pile of tickets I've been drafting with and will continue to draft with for the forseeable future.

Modern is insane.

kirblar

Well, I did it. I sold out of Modern on MTGO. I just couldn't justify sitting on that many dollars of virtual goods for a format that I barely get to play anymore, especially if we really are on a bubble (and I'm pretty sure we are). I got $1300 (cash!!) for that collection (and remember - I've only played UR decks in Modern - I didn't own any Goyfs or Lilianas or Bobs or Ajanis or anything like that, although I did have all the fetchlands and shocklands); I haven't been keeping tabs down to the penny but even after accounting for the cut that the dealer gets, I came close to tripling my money.

It's possible that I could have done even better than that by holding on, but a lot of random rares in my collection were on price spikes right after the Pro Tour, and even though cards like Scalding Tarn and Cryptic Command aren't going to drop, a bunch of other rares are poised for a drop and trying to synchronize highs and lows in the entire collection just isn't going to happen. This was a player's collection, not a collector's collection; I didn't have more than 4x of any card in there.

EDIT: Oh, and this doesn't count the killing I made speculating on Bitterblossom earlier this year that became the pile of tickets I've been drafting with and will continue to draft with for the forseeable future.

Modern is insane.
Now the #2 most played format. Ahead of limited. That's shocking.

Does confirm my long-held suspicion that most people don't really prefer limited and play it only cause it gets them cards. Ironically, it becomes the favored format of the pro-tier because they can afford to burn packs.

Now the #2 most played format. Ahead of limited. That's shocking.

Does confirm my long-held suspicion that most people don't really prefer limited and play it only cause it gets them cards. Ironically, it becomes the favored format of the pro-tier because they can afford to burn packs.

It's my preferred format mostly for convenience (it fits my schedule, whereas I have to make my schedule fit constructed on MTGO). But I also just like it; there's something about draft that feels like it's the quintessential Magic experience boiled down into just a few hours: you start with nothing, build a collection, try to make a deck with whatever you ended up with, and jam those decks against others who did the same thing. And then you do it all over again. It really is a lot of fun for me.

I did love Modern. I loved the janky combo decks, the way the metagame had evolved, and I think the format is in a great place. I just can't justify sitting on that much money for something that my life just doesn't support. I can play Cockatrice if I want to keep exploring the format at this point.

On another note: when I got back the quote from MTGO Traders (I sold them my collection - it was super easy and I highly recommend them if you're looking at doing something similar), my first thought was "Hmm; that's not really all that much in world of Magic cards." And then I had to smack myself upside the head and remind myself that it was over a grand in a completely digital game! Maybe that collection isn't super impressive in the community, but when you step back and look at it, it's completely absurd to have that much money tied up in digital.

Especially when you're talking about a digital economy built on something as fragile and unstable as MTGO.

EDIT: Honestly, it was when I heard that the MOCS crashed again that I was convinced to pull the trigger and take the offer on my collection; how much longer before more players realize how stupid it is to have this much money sunk into a system this fragile?

I actually love Peasant cube for some reason. I really do. Part of my profits from selling out on MTGO is going to fund building a paper collection so I can put together my own peasant cube.

Peasant Cube is a lot more fun than powered cube. Powered cube is a wreck of mana accelerants, bomb sorceries, and high cost , trumping threats outside of the fun police archetypes if they are supported in the cube. Peasant keeps it real and makes for a nice preservation of the good experience of playing limited (trying to eek out value, tempoing out, etc) and less of the bad (playing with fuck awful cards).

Crocodile

Powered Cube is the best format. :D

A wee bit too much variance to be the best format. When one person draws power and the other one doesn't in the early turns it feels like the two players aren't even playing the same game.

Peasant Cube is a lot more fun than powered cube. Powered cube is a wreck of mana accelerants, bomb sorceries, and high cost , trumping threats outside of the fun police archetypes if they are supported in the cube. Peasant keeps it real and makes for a nice preservation of the good experience of playing limited (trying to eek out value, tempoing out, etc) and less of the bad (playing with fuck awful cards).

I appreciate Peasent Cube because it gives a home to plenty of good cards that otherwise wouldn't see the light of day in most normal Cubes but I still prefer the power and sick plays Rare-Cubes allow :)

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";104039487]Neogaf pie bet: Kessig Wolf Run will be in Journey Into Nyx[/QUOTE]

Sure, you're on.
Kessig is not a generic name but rather a specific place on Innistrad. So the chances of showing up on Theros are.............

Kessig is not a generic name but rather a specific place on Innistrad. So the chances of showing up on Theros are.............

It would also make no sense to have a single utility land in the rare slot that takes two colors of mana unless you wanted to make a full cycle, and they really don't want a full cycle of utility lands in a small set.

Top Bottom