• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

I saw this posted on FB as being the artwork for Garruk in M15

Garruk-Wildspeaker-Art.jpg

Has there ever been a card something like

"Defender

[Card name] had hexproof except when targeted by spells and abilities that deal damage

Spells and abilities your opponent control that deal damage and can target [Card Name] must target [Card Name]"

Look up 'Coalition Honor Guard.' There were a few Flagbearers like that in Apocalypse which forced the opponent to target them.

Liking Journey into Nyx so far; it just seems like a more fun set than Bored of the Gods.

Uh... I have a feeling Garruk won't be mono-Green this time.

Then again, multicolor isn't a core set thing. So... Does that mean Liliana is out and a new green pw is in?

kirblar

Then again, multicolor isn't a core set thing. So... Does that mean Liliana is out and a new green pw is in?
Gideon and Nissa are in, taking Ajani/Normal Garruk's spots.

LOTV reprint is not out of the question here given how many of the others will be getting new cards.

LOTV reprint is not out of the question here given how many of the others will be getting new cards.

Oh I didn't realize they were bringing them back. Cool

Well Nicol Bolas was in a core set.

Hope a B/G walker can do more than shit deathtouch critters.

Nicky was in M13 but he was an exception to the rule because he's nicky b

That seems a bit too good with Grey Merchant

She was nearly going to be put into M14.
Then they tested mono black and pulled her out. The much worse Lili took her place.

I wouldn't be surprised if they print a devotion killing card or something along those lines...
WOTC has said that they like to print a card in the new block that can nullify something from the old block so people will "move on" to new mechanics.

bigkrev

New Nissa is obvious, Maybe Gideon 3.0?

They shouldn't do Big Jace for the 4th year in a row, so either a new one of him or an Architect of Thought reprint. Chandra will probably remain Pyromaster, So I guess the question is if they want Liliana 4.0, a reprint of shitty Liliana of the Dark Realms, or LOTV.

My Guesses
New Nissa
New Gideon
New Garruk
Jace, Architect of Thought
Chandra, Pyromaster
Liliana of the Veil

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
New Nissa is obvious, Maybe Gideon 3.0?

They shouldn't do Big Jace for the 4th year in a row, so either a new one of him or an Architect of Thought reprint. Chandra will probably remain Pyromaster, So I guess the question is if they want Liliana 4.0, a reprint of shitty Liliana of the Dark Realms, or LOTV.

My Guesses
New Nissa
New Gideon
New Garruk
Jace, Architect of Thought
Chandra, Pyromaster
Liliana of the Veil

My thought was that they would remove Liliana from the core set and put Garruk as mono black.

They really ought to do some other blue planeswalker. Maybe a monoblue Ral Zarek or something. I'd say Tezzeret if he weren't all Phyrexified.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They won't have two PW of the same color in the core set. If Garruk is black, Lili is out until next block

I rather assume Liliana is one of the more popular MTG characters, so I wouldn't be surprised if she shows up in the Fall block, although maybe its pretty soon after Innistrad.

bigkrev

Jace, the Living Guildpact appears as his PW art in dotp. Itll be new card.

Oh, lol Of The Veil. Has to be her.

So Jace 5.0? It probably has to be a 3CMC one.
Planeswalker i'm most curious about is Nissa- wonder how many elves they have to jam in the set to make her work

Angry Grimace

So Jace 5.0? It probably has to be a 3CMC one.
Planeswalker i'm most curious about is Nissa- wonder how many elves they have to jam in the set to make her work

I just can't see them printing Memory Adept again, so its got to be either a new one or Jace, AOT, right?

Angry Grimace

Angry Grimace

The exiling part isn't even a may. Just the play part. That could be a huge downside.

Hmm, it doesn't play with with Nighthowler. I think it's kinda a weak card tbh.

bXOAr5l.jpg

Huge body, huge downside. Is it worth it?

Yeah that's the same thought I had on Pharika. Its not doing the same thing dredge decks are given that it doesn't work on your opponents.

That card is screaming to be played in combination with Notion Thief.

ultron87

The exiling part isn't even a may. Just the play part. That could be a huge downside.

The decks that would play him would be packed with a bunch of cheap stuff that they can generally always play, so it shouldn't be a big deal. The obvious place to try it is burn, if they can just get him to connect.

Angry Grimace

The decks that would play him would be packed with a bunch of cheap stuff that they can generally always play, so it shouldn't be a big deal. The obvious place to try it is burn, if they can just get him to connect.

I guess I feel like most burn decks I play are more likely to run out of mana as opposed to things to do.

OnPoint

Pretty letdown that Pharika is basically BG Moorland Haunt. Also doesn't play well with Scooze or Scavenge.

Not liking the black guy at all. Card advantage is key these days, removal is plentiful. Hell, Imagine putting him out and seeing him slapped with Pacifsm. Ew.

Red guy loaded up with auras sounds maybe fun. Or RG with Rampager. Or Thassa for two cards each swing.

Angry Grimace

Pretty letdown that Pharika is basically BG Moorland Haunt. Also doesn't play well with Scooze or Scavenge.

Not liking the black guy at all. Card advantage is key these days, removal is plentiful. Hell, Imagine putting him out and seeing him slapped with Pacifsm. Ew.

Red guy loaded up with auras sounds maybe fun. Or RG with Rampager. Or Thassa for two cards each swing.

He's good in magic combo land where you persistently have Notion Thief out. Theres no reason to use him over Desecration Demon. I guess he's okay in a world where Dark Ritual is a thing.

rCIZZLE

Just got back from GP Philly. The main event didn't go so hot since my pool was pretty weak besides a Celestial Archon and a handful of white heroic creatures. 4-3 drop but immediately afterwards won a modern 8 man with Scapeshift for a box. Guy in the finals offered a split then decided he wanted to play a few minutes later but ended up getting crushed 2-0 lol (kiki pod).

Played in a 6 round legacy event Sunday for an uncut rare sheet of Born. Played Maverick and, as expected, beat Jund and BUG Delver before losing to Miracles (eventual winner) and Lands which are both horrible matchups. Thinking about shelving the deck in favor of ANT just to get a little more favorable matchup against an average field. Not really sure what else I'd want to build that's fun (unlike show and tell) and competitive. Jund seems like it's in a pretty good spot right now with Delver and Miracles decks everywhere again but I'm missing the Lilianas, Bobs, Groves, and 2 Badlands. Only off a couple Seas for BUG Delver which seems strong against most common decks.

OnPoint

Total flavor fail, too.

Yup.

Just reading this again...

Pharika, God of Affliction - Green/Black

Deadly poison can be healing medicine in small amounts, and this dichotomy is reflected in the god whose province is such tinctures. Pharika is the keeper of apothecary knowledge, the source of dark magic. She is also the mother of all gorgons, and their snaky bodies resemble hers.

To those who would oppose her, Pharika is a fearsome enemy, but mortals she favors are hard to kill. She bears a potion cup from which she dispenses draughts that simultaneously strengthen her servants and slay her enemies.

Pharika is associated with black and green mana, and her dual nature also governs aging—the stretch of life and the approach of death. Stories say that the secretive god has hidden medicinal knowledge within the natural world. None know whether she did so to reward or to toy with mortals who quest to unearth them.

puts it into perspective. Almost nothing is incorporated in the card. Strengthen/slay is deathtouch obviously. But everything else kind of doesn't add up at all to me.

kirblar

*Smacks RCizzle for being a pot monster by playing Maverick*

Yeah, Pharika reeks of "last minute design nerf/change", hopefully that's the case.

rCIZZLE

*Smacks RCizzle for being a pot monster by playing Maverick*

Yeah, Pharika reeks of "last minute design nerf/change", hopefully that's the case.

I've actually had a lot of success with it despite not entering too many tournaments but the bad matchups are starting to pile up. TNN, Lands being played, and Miracles coming back are all becoming problems lol. RUG Delver and Stoneblade variants fading away is a bummer.

Toxi

Banned
I really don't understand why she couldn't just give you the token. Necrogenesis exists and has a colorless activation cost.
Image.ashx

I have a feeling some designer thought "it would be fun for group EDH politics."

As an EDH player, I want to slap that designer.

kirblar

I've actually had a lot of success with it despite not entering too many tournaments but the bad matchups are starting to pile up. TNN, Lands being played, and Miracles coming back are all becoming problems lol. RUG Delver and Stoneblade variants fading away is a bummer.
S-Blade is good but expensive, also plays TNN half the time.

The format is literally, "Blue, DnT, or LOL" now.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The only thing I can think of is that the next block may have some graveyard mechanic. I mean, this card would've been semi-playable when zombies were dominate (sniff) and if Pillar wasn't around.

So....I'm gonna go ahead and say graveyard is going to matter in the fall set. Yup. That's it. Confirmed.

Top Bottom