• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Ulamore, the Finite (9)

Reverse Annihilate, Banding, Trample

When Ulamore, the Finite attacks, target player puts X creatures from their graveyard into the battlefield, tapped.

11/11

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well, we already have enchantment creatures?????????

THIS IS THE NEXT LOGICAL STEP????????????????

Toxi

Banned
Come to think of it, Athreos and Pharika are almost backwards in terms of how their flavor and mechanics line up.
Athreos lines up pretty well with general Charon stereotypes; pay the price and he ferries the dead into the underworld, fail to do so and he sends them back. He doesn't line up so well with the actual description on the site, but I'll give him a pass.

Pharika is just messed up. She's more like the God of Herpetology than the God of Affliction.

WanderingWind

hahahaha

golgari is so dull. fuck. I wouldn't be caught dead playing b/g.

now watch and see a u/r card copying spells.

GB has the best zombie combinations, but damn if I don't always fall back on RB as a default cube/draft/new standard environment strategy.

Plus, plant zombies are pretty stupid

Toxi

Banned
You know what really bugs me?

Pharika doesn't make Gorgon tokens. Her description calls her the mother of all Gorgons, Wizards of the Coast already made a few Gorgon-matters cards in the block, and Gorgons perfectly fit Black/Green tokens with Deathtouch, yet they used Snakes instead.

It's like they were intentionally trying to make her flavor suck.

WanderingWind

Pharika doesn't make Gorgon tokens. Her description calls her the mother of all Gorgons, Wizards of the Coast already made a few Gorgon-matters cards in the block, and Gorgons perfectly fit Black/Green tokens with Deathtouch, yet they used Snakes instead.

Yeah, that stuck out pretty big. I mean, it's not as big of a failure as Emara because maybe this will have a purpose somewhere, but it's on that same level of just shitting the bed. They've not done so well in closing the loop on intentional cycles as of late.

y2dvd

With all the enchantment creatures push, I'd be surprised if we didn't get a "enchantment crreatures you control gets +1/+1" enchantment card.

ultron87

Probably a flavor/dev conflict where she had to make 1/1s to not be too good, but Gorgons aren't supposed to be that small.

bigkrev

Probably a flavor/dev conflict where she had to make 1/1s to not be too good, but Gorgons aren't supposed to be that small.

Plus, Gorgons are normally higher toughness than power, and they like making tokens squared stats for the sake of lessening confusion

Haha.

KY8TFC4.jpg

Astral Sheep 1W
Enchantment creature - Sheep
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life.
0/5

Wichu

Calling the flavour text now:

Astral Sheep 1W
Enchantment Creature - Sheep
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life.
Suck it, red.
0/5

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Look at that smug space sheep chilling out making that dude carry his ass like Hodor.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why is it that black always has the weird art? Nighthowler looks like an angry ferret, but its creature type is "horror."

f0rk

Seen a comparison to timely reinforcements which seems fair. Not quite as good but cheaper. Especially in a format where people were playing those shitty life gain staffs

Angry Grimace

Someone needs to make a deck with Yoked Ox, Space Sheep and Trading Post.

Angry Grimace

So how good are people thinking that Flamespeaker guy is?

Angry Grimace

He looks pretty great to me. Connecting with him is drawing 2 cards, or at worst, getting 2 land off the top of your deck. Plus... Double strike AND trample? Good grief.

Seems like they really pushed him.

I'm just concerned he's a Win More. The number of situations where you'd actually connect with him doesn't seem terribly high and you still have to pay for the extra cards that you can't cast if you don't do it on the same turn. Not to mention you have to do it after combat, meaning a lot of the burn and haste type stuff are less useful than they'd be otherwise.

It's almost as if... gasp, a red/blue deck is being pushed!

In other news, I am looking for black, white, and green cards with ETB effects or other text boxes that will make people want to pay Athreos' 3 life to bury them. A B/W/x deck that chump blocks with everything and everything is more painful to return to hand than 3 life sounds interesting. I already like Sin Collector, Lifebane Zombie, High Priest of Pennance, and Cartel Aristocrat off the top of my head. Need to think more about making that decision painful for my opponent. And some non - creature permanents to turn Athreos on.

JulianImp

In other news, I am looking for black, white, and green cards with ETB effects or other text boxes that will make people want to pay Athreos' 3 life to bury them. A B/W/x deck that chump blocks with everything and everything is more painful to return to hand than 3 life sounds interesting. I already like Sin Collector, Lifebane Zombie, High Priest of Pennance, and Cartel Aristocrat off the top of my head. Need to think more about making that decision painful for my opponent. And some non - creature permanents to turn Athreos on.

You should also consider playing that hybrid X sorcery spell from guildpact that returns every creature with CMC equal to X from your graveyard to the battlefield. It's not that good, but it could possibly do some interesting things. Eidolon of Roots could also combo with other enchantment creatures, and bestow ones in particular could be good if convined with a sacrifice outlet that gets you anything out of the deal. (you get to sacrifice the bestowed creature and then the bestow creature iself, which can be bestowed again if your opponent doesn't pay the life). There's also Odunos River Trawler, which gets back enchantment creatures and can sacrifice itself to do it again.

Still, I'd say having them NOT pay the three life is a more interesting proposition, since that means free card advantage for you. Running cards such as Varolz, the Scar-Striped might be a good idea, as the only other cheap sacrifice outlet you have access to is Undercity Informer, which isn't that good to begin with. Playing your normal goodstuff creatures with useful ETB/LTB abilities, such as Voice of Resurgence and Centaur Healer (more like a SB card, though) could work.

Angry Grimace

Obzedat, obviously. Shadowborn Demon, maybe? Would work even if you don't have the creature count to keep him up since he'll end up in your hand with the ETB effect again. Those might be a bit expensive mana-wise for the deck you're looking at.

Firemind

I'm just concerned he's a Win More. The number of situations where you'd actually connect with him doesn't seem terribly high and you still have to pay for the extra cards that you can't cast if you don't do it on the same turn. Not to mention you have to do it after combat, meaning a lot of the burn and haste type stuff are less useful than they'd be otherwise.

It's pretty nice with Chandra's +1. Unfortunately, blue isn't its strongest ally, since you can't really play counterspells with this guy. I suspect R/G is the best fit (Gruul War Chant? lol), though him and Xenagos aren't the best combo. It is very good with Ogre Battledriver though!

Angry Grimace

It's pretty nice with Chandra's +1. Unfortunately, blue isn't its strongest ally, since you can't really play counterspells with this guy. I suspect R/G is the best fit (Gruul War Chant? lol), though him and Xenagos aren't the best combo. It is very good with Ogre Battledriver though!

Yeah, I think most people are envisioning him in burn, but I don't see that.

He's only pre-ordering at like $7.

Angry Grimace

Double post.

Therefore, here is a picture of a Boon Satyr bestowed on an Astral Sheep.

JMSOKsC.jpg

Karakand

Ugh a fetchless Burn top 8'd at SCG Dallas? Legacy pls.

At least a High Tide rep'd in top 8. 2 respectable showings for the deck so far this year (Feline Longmore top 10'd at Nashville I think it was).

Angry Grimace

The only one so far is maaaaybe the red one. I can see someone breaking that somehow.
Doesn't seem like people are excited though. Only 7-8 dollar preorder.

It's not a bad thing though. I'd rather not have a new Voice of Resurgence.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Doesn't seem like people are excited though. Only 7-8 dollar preorder.

It's not a bad thing though. I'd rather not have a new Voice of Resurgence.

Yeah but those are the ones that surprise you.

Not saying its going to happen, just saying of the ones we've seen so far its the one with a chance.

Top Bottom