• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

OnPoint

Okay, this looks pretty sweet (for limited).

88gCn.png

Combos nicely with the one-sided Howling Mine no?

I mean, someone had to have said this already.

An-Det

I went 6-0 tonight in Legacy with BUG Delver. It was a store I hadn't been to before, so they did it a bit odd. There were 15 people, so it went 3 rounds of swiss, then cut to top 8. In the swiss I played against Storm, a BR standard deck, and Miracles, then played Miracles (same guy), Enchantress, and then Affinity in the finals. I only dropped one game in the night (game 2 vs affinity), the deck felt awesome the whole time.

This card looks like it could create some insane plays in Limited.

89gRa.jpg

And I would imagine that most decks beyond standard that want this effect have better options (although it does survive Bolt, but then again Rule of Law survives all creature removal).

89hmo.jpg

kirblar

I went 6-0 tonight in Legacy with BUG Delver. It was a store I hadn't been to before, so they did it a bit odd. There were 15 people, so it went 3 rounds of swiss, then cut to top 8. In the swiss I played against Storm, a BR standard deck, and Miracles, then played Miracles (same guy), Enchantress, and then Affinity in the finals. I only dropped one game in the night (game 2 vs affinity), the deck felt awesome the whole time.
BUG and UWR are both very, very good- they just have different %s against the field.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I'm guessing X mana doesn't count as 1 mana correct?

Straight from Daily MTG:

Well, (re)introducing a little card we planted back in Born of the Gods: Glimpse the Sun God!

For each mana you spend, you tap a creature. Except... each creature you target makes it cost one less! So, for a single mana, you can target and tap any number of creatures. And thanks to the declare attackers step, you can cast it after you attack but before your opponent can block—meaning all of your heroic triggers trigger again (you can target tapped creatures just fine and they will still be attacking) and all of your opponent's creatures will become tapped.

Yes, it's true: a real power of the Thaumaturge lies in X spells like Glimpse the Sun God and (I never expected to say this) Gridlock. Now that you know the X spell trick with this card, it sounds like it's time for you to graduate onto Thaumaturgy 102.

Like I said, he's going to enable some insane plays and crazy board states. If your opponent attacks into you with an army backed by this guy and even just a couple of open mana, you aren't just trying to block to beat one trick, but up to one trick per untapped land.

An-Det

BUG and UWR are both very, very good- they just have different %s against the field.

Yeah definitely, still getting a feel for those. After playing a similar shell in Jund for so long BUG feels damn good, even without the Punishing Fire safety net that I'm used to. Spell Pierce is my new favorite thing.

Firemind

I said wow.

Then I realized the ability is worse than Goblin Electromancer in most cases.

It has a more forgiving mana cost though and a second ability. Not sure how relevant it is unless you're packing pump spells.

I really like the way that BUG can play triple threat against combo (creature disruption, hand disruption, countermagic) and still have amazing cards like Abrupt Decay and Golgari Charm against critter decks. That deck has come a long way from its sinkhole and tombstalker origins.

My only complaint is that it is a bad Liliana deck compared to Jund, the PoxDepths decks, or the newer Deadguy variants.

Wichu

Battlefield Thaumaturge is all sorts of deliciously abusable.

On one hand, I wish it was legendary, so I could build a Commander deck for it.

On the other hand, that would mean you couldn't stack its effect for glorious winning (as the article points out, 4 Thaumaturges and 3 other creatures = one-shot the opponent with Aurelia's Fury for RW).

The kind of shenanigans you can pull off with the Thaumaturge really feels like the kind of feels-cheaty-to-noobs stuff they seem to want to iron out of the game.

JulianImp

I said wow.

Then I realized the ability is worse than Goblin Electromancer in most cases.

It has a more forgiving mana cost though and a second ability. Not sure how relevant it is unless you're packing pump spells.

I'd say it makes Flames of the Firebrand decent if decks with X/1s begin to show up (2/1 split to creatures or 1/1/1 for R sounds nice).

Still, yeah, it's mostly a rare 2/1 Electromancer unless you're playing many multi-targeting cards such as Aurelia's Fury, or are making a janky deck full of pump spells, which is what makes me feel like heroic was a mechanic way too focused on limited, since most of the stuff with targets that you'd normally play in constructed is used to get stuff out of the way rather than giving opponents the chance to 2-for-1 you.

I mean, his heroic trigger works fine with instants, but is kind of bad with sorceries and auras, since your opponent still gets to kill it in response to its hexproof-granting ability.

ultron87

I'm trying to think of some good way to manufacture a one-sided Wrathaggeddon with Boros Charm and that dude that isn't just "get 8 mana, cast him". If only Whip didn't exile.

ultron87

Well yeah. That, and Sneak Attack are the obvious choices. I meant in Standard.

Though the awkward thing about TTB and Sneak Attack is that your opponent gets one more turn before everything gets blown up.

JulianImp

I'm trying to think of some good way to manufacture a one-sided Wrathaggeddon with Boros Charm and that dude that isn't just "get 8 mana, cast him". If only Whip didn't exile.

A blink effect could also work to get around the Whip's exile, but I don't think we've got any decent ones. The only ones that could be remotely playable would be Voidwalk, Banisher Priest and Legion's Initiative, but then you'd be making a five-card combo deck (Bearer + Whip + blink effect + sacrifice outlet + Boros Charm).

Then again, you could use Rescue from the Underworld to do that a little bit faster and requiring any creature instead of a blink effect, but it's still ridiculously clunky, with there being way better things you could be doing with all those cards and mana.

Jaeyden

Oh god...my friend is putting this in his Child of Alara Commander deck

I dunno. I play a Child EDH deck and I'm not sure I would want this thing. It's O.K. but what it does, Child just does a lot better. No regen and being able to sac Child in response to things and not waiting for the end step to wipe the field is a big difference. I'm not saying he's bad and I really like the big body but I'm just not sure I'd be able to find room for him.

Doesn't work, darn.

Sure it does.

Bearer dies, then immediately comes back.

On your end step, stack the triggers so that the Gift comes back before the destruction trigger. Everything dies (including the Gift), but the Bearer comes back (again). He's won't have the Gift anymore, but he'll be the only thing left.

ultron87

But then everything blows up again the next end step. Edit: I think you still get the Gift back too. So you can loop this every turn forever. And even get to attack with your 10/10 on your turn.

y2dvd

Sometimes you can ignore the creature and just smash the player. This obviously demands to be answered. Not the worst thing for burn decks I suppose.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sometimes you can ignore the creature and just smash the player. This obviously demands to be answered. Not the worst thing for burn decks I suppose.

Sure but "When enters the battlefield you gain 3 life" has basically the same effect in a vacuum.

I wonder if someone can combo it with something though.

Toxi

Banned
This is one of the most hilarious cards I've seen.

The best part is the combination of the flavor text and what actually happens if this ever connects with Thassa. Kiora reminds me of a ten-year-old Timmy whose octopus was the biggest creature in her first pack.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Planeswalkers are the most hilarious cards ever. People trip all over themselves to kill your Planeswalker even when its not really doing anything and doesn't pose any kind of immediate threat.

Top Bottom