• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

The Adder

Banned
This is one of the most hilarious cards I've seen.

The best part is the combination of the flavor text and what actually happens if this ever connects with Thassa. Kiora reminds me of a ten-year-old Timmy whose octopus was the biggest creature in her first pack.

To be fair to Kiora, she's not saying this creature matches Thassa herself, just that she (Kiora) can throw down at an even keel with Thassa easily.

Probably just as arrogant and wrong, given Xenagos would rather be a god than a Planeswalker, but less nonsensical

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
6 mana for a huge downside I don't even get it.

It should've been 3 or 4.

OnPoint

To be fair to Kiora, she's not saying this creature matches Thassa herself, just that she (Kiora) can throw down at an even keel with Thassa easily.

Probably just as arrogant and wrong, given Xenagos would rather be a god than a Planeswalker, but less nonsensical

Actually, now that I think about it, can Xenagos still planeswalk as a god, holding all that power still?

ultron87

Actually, now that I think about it, can Xenagos still planeswalk as a god, holding all that power still?

Doug Beyer said this on his Tumblr:
http://dougbeyermtg.tumblr.com/post/73487640842/so-xenagos-is-he-still-a-planeswalker-if-he-leaves

Through furious revelry and powerful magic, Xenagos has done the unthinkable — he has ascended to become a god of Theros, and his card in Born of the Gods reflects this new status. Storywise, though, Xenagos is still a planeswalker. He has not yet left the plane, so at this point it’s unclear what might become of his godly status if he planeswalked.

The answer seems to be undetermined. Though he is definitely still a planeswalker.

Karakand

BlRnL6YCYAAtnXA.jpg

islandhome is back in pog form

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You have to think this was made a couple of mana more expensive at the last minute because it was too good

IuC64CJ.jpg

I think there's literally a single 5/5 blue creature at common that's ever been printed that doesn't have a huge drawback. Its just part of the color pie.

Here's a heavily modified variant of the BUG list I've been running on MTGO. Tell me why it sucks and if there's anything that would make it way better:

Creatures:

4 Courser of Kruphix
2 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Kiora's Follower
3 Lifebane Zombie
2 Desecration Demon
2 Prognostic Sphinx
1 AEtherling

Spells:

2 Bile Blight
3 Abrupt Decay
4 Hero's Downfall
4 Thoughtseize
1 Cyclonic Rift

Planeswalkers

2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
3 Kiora, the Crashing Wave

Land

4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Watery Grave
3 Breeding Pool
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Temple of Deceit
3 Forest
2 Swamp

SB:

2 Mistcutter Hydra
3 Gainsay
2 Pithing Needle
1 Notion Thief
2 Witchstalker
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 AEtherling
2 Whip of Erebos

ultron87

Played in my first Modern event ever today. Ran Affinity. Wasn't a super competitive event and peoples decks were in various states, but it was nice as a starting experience. Beat Faeries and Zoo but lost to the Blue Moon deck thanks to some really horrific mulligans.

This was the first time I've played with the deck outside of a few practice games so I'm still not super comfortable with it. Still a ton to get figured out about sideboarding and what hands are actually keepable. The basic play of dumping your hand is pretty easy of course, but I still gotta get better at how everything is sequenced. I'm still never sure when the time is to go all in with Ravager on Inkmoth.

I even got to use my way to thorough rules knowledge to explain how and why Blood Moon and Darksteel Citadel interact the way they do.

The Adder

Banned
So I'm trying to put together in my head a white weenies deck that is also control, given some of the new cards from JOU.

Thinking of something like:

Creatures
4x Phalanx Leader
3x Archetype of Courage
3x Eidolon of Rhetoric
3x Eidolon of Countless Battles
3x Aegis of the Gods
3x Nyxborn Shieldmate
2x Spirit of the Labriynth
2x Cavalry Pegasus
2x Evangel of Heliod

Enchantments
2x Sphere of Safety
2x Dictate of Heliod

Instants
4x Gods Willing
4x Rootborn Defenses
2x Dauntless Onslaught

Land
21x Plains

The goal is to shut down the opponent's options while letting you do things that effect the entire board with only one spell. Was thinking this could do with an Elspeth as she would let you put bodies on the board three times faster than the opponent can, but this deck has no way to protect her and would waste the turn if she got countered or killed.

Same with all inspired mechanics, you need to find a way to tap it without combat and you don't see a benefit for at least two turns, usually.

I'd like to see a series of 1 cmc auras that give creatures tap effects. Something that's playable to interact reliably with inspired text boxes.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Same with all inspired mechanics, you need to find a way to tap it without combat and you don't see a benefit for at least two turns, usually.

I'd like to see a series of 1 cmc auras that give creatures tap effects. Something that's playable to interact reliably with inspired text boxes.

Does the "another" in Hidden Strings mean you can't target the same thing twice? Otherwise that seems like it could work

From my understanding of the card, if you were able to target the same creature twice, it would just repeat the phrase without the "another" clause. I used that card plus a death cult rogue to great effect in a heroic deck because I had multiple heroic creatures on the board.

Yeef

Strength of the Fallen 1G
Enchantment (U)

Constellation - Whenever ~ or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard.

bigkrev

Played in my first Modern event ever today. Ran Affinity. Wasn't a super competitive event and peoples decks were in various states, but it was nice as a starting experience. Beat Faeries and Zoo but lost to the Blue Moon deck thanks to some really horrific mulligans.

This was the first time I've played with the deck outside of a few practice games so I'm still not super comfortable with it. Still a ton to get figured out about sideboarding and what hands are actually keepable. The basic play of dumping your hand is pretty easy of course, but I still gotta get better at how everything is sequenced. I'm still never sure when the time is to go all in with Ravager on Inkmoth.

I even got to use my way to thorough rules knowledge to explain how and why Blood Moon and Darksteel Citadel interact the way they do.

Frank Karsten has written 2 excellent articles about Affinity, going deep on sideboard strategy and opening hand keeps vs mulligans
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-grand-prix-antwerp-14th-with-affinity/
http://www.channelfireball.com/home/frank-analysis-affinity-at-pro-tour-born-of-the-gods-41st/

Crocodile

So I'm trying to put together in my head a white weenies deck that is also control, given some of the new cards from JOU.

Thinking of something like:

Creatures
4x Phalanx Leader
3x Archetype of Courage
3x Eidolon of Rhetoric
3x Eidolon of Countless Battles
3x Aegis of the Gods
3x Nyxborn Shieldmate
2x Spirit of the Labriynth
2x Cavalry Pegasus
2x Evangel of Heliod

Enchantments
2x Sphere of Safety
2x Dictate of Heliod

Instants
4x Gods Willing
4x Rootborn Defenses
2x Dauntless Onslaught

Land
21x Plains

The goal is to shut down the opponent's options while letting you do things that effect the entire board with only one spell. Was thinking this could do with an Elspeth as she would let you put bodies on the board three times faster than the opponent can, but this deck has no way to protect her and would waste the turn if she got countered or killed.

Do you want an aggro deck or a control deck? Going half & half like this won't result in a deck with a high winrate. Also is this just a casual deck or a deck for like a Standard FNM? I have different comments depending on where you intend to play this.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Strength of the Fallen 1G
Enchantment (U)

Constellation - Whenever ~ or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard.

The nighthowler deck might like that.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
The nighthowler deck might like that.

I just don't see why I'd want to play it in addition to or instead of Nighthowler. Would have been cool if it pitched the top four cards of your deck into your graveyard when it came into play.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just don't see why I'd want to play it in addition to or instead of Nighthowler. Would have been cool if it pitched the top four cards of your deck into your graveyard when it came into play.

Because it triggers when Nighthowler comes into play?

y2dvd

If Strength of the Fallen would've added more cards to the graveyard when it hits the field, it probably would've had a spot. The only cards that would trigger Constellation in the deck is Nighthowler and Herald of Torment and I guess another Strength of the Fallen which is pretty narrow.

aidan

Because it triggers when Nighthowler comes into play?

It's not a creature, a manafixer, or a way to put creatures into the graveyard, like Sylvan Caryatid, Commune with the Gods, Satyr Wayfinder, Lotleth Troll, or Grisly Salvage, which all currently occupy the 2 CMC slot in the deck. I'm not sure it adds enough value to the deck, to remove one of those other cards.

Maybe if it gave trample along with the +x/+x. The deck has some issues with evasion and pushing damage through.

rCIZZLE

Anybody know the cheapest way to buy bulk tickets for mtgo? I'm looking to get around 400 to build a modern deck and any amount I save would just go into tickets for dailies.

Anybody know the cheapest way to buy bulk tickets for mtgo? I'm looking to get around 400 to build a modern deck and any amount I save would just go into tickets for dailies.

You can't save money buying tickets, but you can save money buying singles and/or "bot credits." MarlonMTGO gives you a 6% discount if you buy bot credits online, for example. MTGOTraders will give an 8% discount on an order of singles if you use PayPal and the coupon code "mtgsallypaypal."

Those are the only two I've ever used.

rCIZZLE

You can't save money buying tickets, but you can save money buying singles and/or "bot credits." MarlonMTGO gives you a 6% discount if you buy bot credits online, for example. MTGOTraders will give an 8% discount on an order of singles if you use PayPal and the coupon code "mtgsallypaypal."

Those are the only two I've ever used.

Never heard of the first one so I'll have to check them out. MTGOTraders looks pretty good with the 8% discount if the first few cards I've looked up are any indication.

kirblar

If you haven't been watching this season of Survivor, marathon it starting with Ep1. It's absurdly good. (Wouldn't normally post OT but I know the show has a big shared % with MTG players. :p )

kirblar

Really? o_O

I wouldn't have guessed that.
They cast a few players in S24 who ended up being total duds and actively impeded interesting strategy/gameplay from occurring. After that season wrapped, Jeff mentioned specifically that they had issues with putting two lower-than-normal IQ players on the season. Tonight on twitter Jeff mentioned tonight that they were intentionally casting smarter players, and its shown in the last few seasons, especially S25/28, which both featured almost all or completely newbie casts.

"Smarter" also doesn't mean "Better players" - it just means they're more aware of what the game is.

aidan

If you haven't been watching this season of Survivor, marathon it starting with Ep1. It's absurdly good. (Wouldn't normally post OT but I know the show has a big shared % with MTG players. :p )

Totally agree with this.

Top Bottom