• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

An-Det

gpbos14_playmat.jpg

GP Boston (Modern) playmat. Already was going but now I can't wait to grab one of these.

That's a pretty solid playmat. I'd forgotten that it was Modern, I may have to go now.

bigkrev

I know it's just because i'm old, but milling doesn't need a keyword. It's not something common enough that they won't have to put reminder text on any card with the ability into perpetuity, which means it probably takes up more space on the card than it currently does.

kirblar

I know it's just because i'm old, but milling doesn't need a keyword. It's not something common enough that they won't have to put reminder text on any card with the ability into perpetuity, which means it probably takes up more space on the card than it currently does.
It's more of a "are there situations where the smaller amount of text would help clean up cards significantly?" issue.

bigkrev

It's more of a "are there situations where the smaller amount of text would help clean up cards significantly?" issue.

See, but I don't think it does. For example,

A.)When ~ enters the battlefield, target player puts the top 4 cards of their library into his or her graveyard

B.)When ~ enters the battlefield, target player Unravels 4 (that player puts the top 4 cards of their library into his or her graveyard)

Unless you are making it a focused mechanic of a block, you are going to need the reminder text, even on rare cards, because it just isn't something super common. It only makes the cards need MORE space

kirblar

But in expert expansions you can cut the reminder text when you need to. That's the benefit. "Target player unravels 4 cards."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I think its mostly for uniformity of rules; e.g. both so it always works the same way and so that players always know how mechanics are supposed to work.

In other news, I went to pick up my usual fat pack from the new set, but they didn't even have them yet at the big box store. They did randomly have Innistrad packs, so I picked a couple of those up. Dat Snapcaster Mage

bigkrev

I think its mostly for uniformity of rules; e.g. both so it always works the same way and so that players always know how mechanics are supposed to work.

In other news, I went to pick up my usual fat pack from the new set, but they didn't even have them yet at the big box store. They did randomly have Innistrad packs, so I picked a couple of those up. Dat Snapcaster Mage

Yeah, I was in both a Target and a Wal-mart in seperate states today (Maryland and NJ), and both of them had tons of Innestrad Boosters. I didn't see a price, but i'm guessing if you want to pick up a bunch to draft, this is probably a cheaper alternative than anything else right now

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, I was in both a Target and a Wal-mart in seperate states today (Maryland and NJ), and both of them had tons of Innestrad Boosters. I didn't see a price, but i'm guessing if you want to pick up a bunch to draft, this is probably a cheaper alternative than anything else right now

Damn, I should check that out. My group does Potluck draft semi-infrequently and I would love to stockpile some Innistrad to throw in.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I honestly don't get drafting at all. All I ever do is lose at it. I'm sure its fun if you have a clue what you're doing, but playing in them doesn't seem to be making me better at it.

y2dvd

It takes practice. More cards gets played in the set so it's hard to predict what hands the opponents may have. It forces you to learn the many combat tricks out there if you want an edge. The draft portion is skill intensive in itself. Learning how to valuate cards for deck building makes you a better player.

Banishing Light is probably the most impactful card of the new set lol. Anything white runs it. D-sphere is what gave U/W/x a unique edge, but now they lost it. Being able to hit d-sphere is a bitch too.

kirblar

I honestly don't get drafting at all. All I ever do is lose at it. I'm sure its fun if you have a clue what you're doing, but playing in them doesn't seem to be making me better at it.
You need to play more sealed then.

Dropping people headfirst into drafting is usually a disaster (it was for me) because you need the limited building basics first to know what you're looking for.

Angry Grimace

You need to play more sealed then.

Dropping people headfirst into drafting is usually a disaster (it was for me) because you need the limited building basics first to know what you're looking for.

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

Regular sealed is bar far the most garbage format in MtG, It's pack wars on crack.

I don't even enter prereleases normally because of how little fun sealed is to me.

Well if you're still new to drafting, the best bet is to pick cards based on bombs -> removal -> efficiency until you get used to how the sets work.

Bombs are basically things that hit above the mana curve or create a huge impact on the board. These are generally your opening pick rares like Arbor Colossus or Prognostic Sphinx, but they can also be extremely powerful commons/uncommons like Wingsteed Rider or Keepsake Gorgon.

Removal is just like it sounds. You want to pick stuff like Divine Verdict or Necrobite or Griptide relatively high because how out of hand creatures can get in Theros block.

Efficiency are just good but relatively vanilla creatures like Oreskos Sun Guide that give you a slight upside or Scholar of Athreos that let you dump a ton of mana late game.

When you start getting used to card interactions, start paying more attention to the cards in each color that you're passing and receiving with the players next to you and you'll start to understand how manipulating people's picks works.

For instance, if the 4 best cards in your opening pack are Arbor Colossus, Nessian Asp, Ordeal of Nylea and Heliod's Emissary. You might want to pick the Emissary over the Colossus because no matter which green card you take, there's a good chance the person to your left will start playing green or even that several people to your left start fighting over green. Taking the Emissary shuts off white from your pack and potentially opens you to better white cards in the second pack when you get passed to from the left, which is awesome because white is awesome.

That's the basics of the drafting stage, anyway.

f0rk

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110505013]Regular sealed is bar far the most garbage format in MtG, It's pack wars on crack.

I don't even enter prereleases normally because of how little fun sealed is to me.[/QUOTE]

Don't you like 2HG

styl3s

Decided to just cut the whole story short. I got back into magic and i want to dive in head first. My first deck is a budget deck based off the Born of the Gods premade deck with some minor adjustments me and a friend fiddled with and i am also looking for a standard White/Blue, White/Green, White mono or Green mono deck that can do extremely well in a tournament. My budget is $200, i prefer to spend $100-150 but a big tournament is coming in a about 1.5 weeks and i don't expect to do extremely well i just want to go in prepared and get all that practice from tournament and casual. I want to take the black for casual non-tournament play but i prefer a more control deck, i want my opponent to mentally yell fuck you at me as i crush his hopes and dreams (i am kidding, sort of.) Hell, i wouldn't mind getting a cheap burn deck under my arsenal as well for fun casual.

The deck so far. Someone recommended me to replace 4 swamps with some kind of land that i can't remember. I do remember they were like $15-20 a pop.

Creatures
4x Tormented Hero
4x Agent of the Fates
4x Rakdos Shred-Freak
4x Rakdos Crackler
4x Zathrid Necromancer
3x Mogis's Marauder
3x Desceration Demon
2x Pain Seer
2x Herald of Torment

Spells
2x Doom Blade
2x Bile Blight
2x Ultimate Price
1x Hero's Downfall

23x Swamp

I am ok with spending more money to improve this. Right now i just swapped out 2 agents for 2 Master of the Feast and i am toying around with this build with a friend right now. I feel like the 1BB for a 5/5 flying (during my upkeep opponent draws card) is really good for this style of deck.

f0rk

The deck so far. Someone recommended me to replace 4 swamps with some kind of land that i can't remember. I do remember they were like $15-20 a pop.

I am ok with spending more money to improve this.

Wait for this weeks SCG to see starting points for other decks.

What you have of mono black aggro is a good start but I little out of date. 4 Gnarled Scarhide is an obvious new card. Should have 4 Herald of Torment and 4 Mogis Marauder.
The land you were recommended was Mutavault which you do really need but isn't a very efficient use of money as it will probably rotate out in a few months.

styl3s

Wait for this weeks SCG to see starting points for other decks.

What you have of mono black aggro is a good start but I little out of date. 4 Gnarled Scarhide is an obvious new card. Should have 4 Herald of Torment and 4 Mogis Marauder.
The land you were recommended was Mutavault which you do really need but isn't a very efficient use of money as it will probably rotate out in a few months.
What should i replace to get 4 Herald/Mogis and Gnarled Scarhid?

Also, are any of the cards about to be gone from the current standard format? Again, it's been a very, very, very long time since i have played. I still understand all the mechanics i just don't know all the cards in rotation. Also, i am not quite caught up on new abilities like this Bestow. Gnarled reads as

3B (If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature. It becomes a creature again if it's not attached to a creature.)
Gnarled Scarhide can't block.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+1 and can't block.

So, if i cast it for 1 it's just a 2/1 creature but if i cast it for 3B it becomes a Aura and i can put it on another creature like an enchantment, right?

Also, are any of the cards about to be gone from the current standard format? Again, it's been a very, very, very long time since i have played. I still understand all the mechanics i just don't know all the cards in rotation. Also, i am not quite caught up on new abilities like this Bestow. Gnarled reads as

3B (If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature. It becomes a creature again if it's not attached to a creature.)
Gnarled Scarhide can't block.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+1 and can't block.

So, if i cast it for 1 it's just a 2/1 creature but if i cast it for 3B it becomes a Aura and i can put it on another creature like an enchantment, right?

Correct. And if the creature it's enchanting dies, Gnarled Scarhide remains on the battlefield as a 2/1 creature. (Oh, and 3rd use, you can enchant an opponent's creature to remove them as a potential blocker.)

Rotations upcoming: M14 is rotating when M15 comes out this... July? August? I forget which. There's no guarantee that anything in M14 will be reprinted, but it's always possibility and anything that is reprinted, you can just continue using your old card. Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, and Dragon's Maze cards rotate out this coming September when the new set comes out.

f0rk

Correct. And if the creature it's enchanting dies, Gnarled Scarhide remains on the battlefield as a 2/1 creature. (Oh, and 3rd use, you can enchant an opponent's creature to remove them as a potential blocker.)

Rotations upcoming: M14 is rotating when M15 comes out this... July? August? I forget which. There's no guarantee that anything in M14 will be reprinted, but it's always possibility and anything that is reprinted, you can just continue using your old card. Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, and Dragon's Maze cards rotate out this coming September when the new set comes out.

M14 rotates out at the same time as RTR. Both M14 and M15 will be legal for a few months.

Angry Grimace

M14 rotates out at the same time as RTR. Both M14 and M15 will be legal for a few months.

What's the odds on a Mutavault reprint in M15? I don't want to invest in a 4 some of a 25 dollar land that is only good til November.

Low. It's now in the "probably over the line for Standard" camp.

Even if the power level isn't absurd, the fact that literally everybody has to play it is what's over the line.

Speaking of standard power level - in the latest Legacy open, Chapin asserted that Baleful Strix would be too high of a power level for Standard. That's a card that I would love to see enter the Modern card pool; do you think Strix is too good for Standard?

rCIZZLE

What's the odds on a Mutavault reprint in M15? I don't want to invest in a 4 some of a 25 dollar land that is only good til November.

After rotation it'll definitely drop but won't really bottom out like Thragtusk or other previous (mostly) standard only all-stars. Don't forget the prize packs you'll win over the next several months with arguably the best card in the format right now.

bigkrev

It was held out of Modern Masters because it fit with the Sliver return of M14 (BTW, one of the biggest botches I can remember. Not only making them play nothing like Slivers but making them look nothing like Slivers was probably a bad idea).

BTW, Saito posted a new version of the Riddle/Blast deck.

BmushWfCEAEbhMy.jpg:large

Someone will T8 a SCG open with this deck

kirblar

Even if the power level isn't absurd, the fact that literally everybody has to play it is what's over the line.

Speaking of standard power level - in the latest Legacy open, Chapin asserted that Baleful Strix would be too high of a power level for Standard. That's a card that I would love to see enter the Modern card pool; do you think Strix is too good for Standard?
It pushed mono-color way harder than they intended.

Probably. It's annoying.

Creatures(26)
4x Gnarled Scarhide
4x Rakdos Cackler
4x Pain Seer
4x Lifebane Zombie
4x Mogis's Marauder
4x Master of the Feast
2x Herald of Torment

Spells(12)
4x Thoughtseize
4x Hero's Downfall
2x Bile Blight
2x Devour Flesh

Land(22)
18x Swamp
4x Mutavault

Sideboard(15)
2 Devour Flesh
4 Brain Maggot
4 Doom Blade
4 Dark Betrayal
1 Erebos, God of the Dead

The nice thing about Mono-Black Aggro is that out of all the decks around, it's the one that probably has the fewest rotating cards.

BTW, Saito posted a new version of the Riddle/Blast deck.

Someone will T8 a SCG open with this deck

My primary concern with the deck is that you need to resolve two of these spells to win; a single Riddle or Blast is not likely to be enough, and you're unlikely to be able to punch through the remaining damage with your little dorks.

But damn that deck is sweet.

Top Bottom