• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

I think Stalking Stones is the only manland I don't find insufferable. Bad design (in general).

If I have to pick a creature type for something though, assembly-worker is one of my top choices.

In general, lands that do things beyond providing mana are very strong. It's harder than it appears to make utility lands appropriately balanced. See the Innistrad utility land cycle for example; you can tell which few they were afraid of and nerfed hard into the ground, and others that they didn't respect enough.

styl3s

Holy shit NM unlimited dual lands go for $150-250+ these days? I regret selling off my collection back in 2000-2001. Back when Tempest came out i think i paid lie $25-30 a land when building a sliver deck. Looking up all the cards i used to own just depressing the fucking shit out of me. And the price on these borderless lands.. I had 25 of each..

I will never sell my magic cards ever again.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's still better in some cases, but yeah, they should bring that back. I'd honestly really love another Dominaria-based block. It's time already.

I'm no expert, but as far as I can tell, the only difference in Standard is that Mutavault is oppressive as fuck in mono black matchups due to Pack Rat.

OnPoint

I'm no expert, but as far as I can tell, the only difference in Standard is that Mutavault is oppressive as fuck in mono black matchups due to Pack Rat.

I mean, yeah that's a big part of it. It's also a threat that mostly dodges sorcery speed removal, especially board wipes, so it's super useful in control decks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, yeah that's a big part of it. It's also a threat that mostly dodges sorcery speed removal, especially board wipes, so it's super useful in control decks.

That's kind of what I was thinking. The idea isn't that bad, but having it pull up all sorts of tribals is kind of fucked when you have a card like Pack Rat that can abuse the fuck out of it.

Karakand

In general, lands that do things beyond providing mana are very strong. It's harder than it appears to make utility lands appropriately balanced. See the Innistrad utility land cycle for example; you can tell which few they were afraid of and nerfed hard into the ground, and others that they didn't respect enough.

I really hate the temporality of the (in)famous manlands, especially with land destruction phased out of the game so completely over the years. Stalking Stones or Zoetic Cavern (I guess) make you commit to turning the land into a creature instead of dicking around with an activated state as necessary.

So I just realized that WotC is upping the prize structure on pre-release drafts slightly. They still cost 15 tickets (no pack buy-in, and one ticket more than usual), but now first place (in either Swiss or 8-4) gets an extra pack. That's kinda nice I guess; it takes a little bit of the sting out of the added expense of pre-release drafting.

rCIZZLE

After playing against modern storm so many times it makes me wonder why this deck doesn't do better in tournaments. It seems pretty easy to pilot. Actually seems hard to lose when you can draw your deck, cast all the rituals, and grapeshots.

Legacy storm decks though... the hate needed to be fought through is a lot more impressive than Remand.

After playing against modern storm so many times it makes me wonder why this deck doesn't do better in tournaments. It seems pretty easy to pilot. Actually seems hard to lose when you can draw your deck, cast all the rituals, and grapeshots.

Legacy storm decks though... the hate needed to be fought through is a lot more impressive than Remand.

Because it loses to itself a not-insignificant amount of the time. When Seething Song was legal, you're right: the deck was a breeze to pilot (I miss those days when I could Epic Experiment for 15 on turn three). Now, the deck relies heavily on getting an active Ascension and often can't win fast enough if something happens to it or it can't find it quick enough.

Angry Grimace

Maybe I'm just crazy, but lifelink is way too good of an ability.

rCIZZLE

Because it loses to itself a not-insignificant amount of the time. When Seething Song was legal, you're right: the deck was a breeze to pilot (I miss those days when I could Epic Experiment for 15 on turn three). Now, the deck relies heavily on getting an active Ascension and often can't win fast enough if something happens to it or it can't find it quick enough.

Having 8 engine spells and tons of cantrips makes it pretty reliable though. I just don't see how it got a reputation as a difficult deck to pilot.

Having 8 engine spells and tons of cantrips makes it pretty reliable though. I just don't see how it got a reputation as a difficult deck to pilot.

It's not difficult at all to get a respectable win % with it. It's very difficult to regularly make the top tables in a large tournament with it.

OnPoint

I thought we were talking about keywords not evergreen keywords?

Even in that subset I wouldn't agree that it's the most powerful keyword ability..

I thought we were talking about keywords that had to be watched? If so, Storm doesn't have to be watched, because outside of sets like Commander and other products like that I don't think it's ever coming back.

What is your take on the potentially most dangerous evergreen ability? I feel like Lifelink is probably the one that could cause the most of a headache.

Yeah, just B-Light and Deicide, unless you're going ham with true Esper and want to play Silence the Believers as a 1-2 of.

Flash breaks a fundamental component of the game. (Permanents cannot be cast at instant speed.)

Considering that setting up rules and then breaking them was part of Richard Garfield's original intentions for Magic, I don't see how that's a problem.

I'm currently trying to wrangle a play set of flamespeaker while he's $8. I think he's got some good applications now and will probably see a value increase at rotation. He's a 4-of in any deck that wants him and is a mythic in a small set. He's not voice of resurgence broken, but he's got the markings of an easy $15 mythic if he starts showing up in top 8s.

I'm hopping to run a UWR control/superfriends this weekend and giving a big red deck featuring him to my girlfriend to play.

OnPoint

I'm currently trying to wrangle a play set of flamespeaker while he's $8. I think he's got some good applications now and will probably see a value increase at rotation. He's a 4-of in any deck that wants him and is a mythic in a small set. He's not voice of resurgence broken, but he's got the markings of an easy $15 mythic if he starts showing up in top 8s.

I'm hopping to run a UWR control/superfriends this weekend and giving a big red deck featuring him to my girlfriend to play.

I still say he belongs in a UR deck with Thassa.

Angry Grimace

Flamespeaker is an undeniably good card without a deck. He has the same problem Athreos does, except he's $8.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110840884]Athreos' problem is that he's in colors that already have plenty of three drops that actually do things.[/QUOTE]

Athreos does things too. He just isn't a win condition by himself. Besides, it only takes Athreos, Obzedat and any other card in his colors to turn Athreos on.

Let's stick with the context of Orzhov midrange here - what three-drop are you saying is better than Athreos to the point you'd remove Athreos from the deck to play instead?

playing any card that doesn't progress your board state or game plan with the goal of playing better cards so it can swing for five is the definition of win more. Athreos has zero synergy with obzedat.

edit in an obzedat shell lifebane zombie and brimaz are both better because they synergize with the whip extremely well and zombie strips blood barons while brimaz bricks early aggro

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110842363]playing any card that doesn't progress your board state or game plan with the goal of playing better cards so it can swing for five is the definition of win more. Athreos has zero synergy with obzedat.[/QUOTE]

Okay, but you don't run Athreos as a four-of anyways, you can run other three-drops and you're operating under the assumption none of your creatures ever dies and that the life payment is irrelevant. Except it isn't.

OnPoint

Junk Atheros, topping out at 3 on the mana curve, with Centaur Healer, Nightveil Spectre and Lifebane Zombie.

You heard it here first.

You could get spicy and add in Immortal Servitude.

Top Bottom