• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Okay, but you don't run Athreos as a four-of anyways, you can run other three-drops and you're operating under the assumption none of your creatures ever dies and that the life payment is irrelevant. Except it isn't.
I never said those things. I said athreos wasn't worth playing. you're the one with Magic Christmas land athreos is good because you can turn him into a creature one in twenty games.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110844364]I never said those things. I said athreos wasn't worth playing. you're the one with Magic Christmas land athreos is good because you can turn him into a creature one in twenty games.[/QUOTE]

Its not magical christmas land. His removal penalty is literally always relevant as long as you have creatures on the board. Brimaz and Lifebane Zombie aren't always relevant because they die to every form of removal in the format outside of doom blade, and most decks that play doom blade have dark betrayal in the SB anyways. Its more magical christmasland to suggest that you don't play him simply because you win the moment your blood baron hits the board. I'm not saying he fits in every midrange B/W shell, I'm saying that I don't think he's unplayable.

Brimaz is overrated in midrange anyways. You know what else bricks aggro? Lifegain sheep.

Athreos sucks/rules arguments seem to be dominating the MTG internet, though. :lol

Karakand

What is your take on the potentially most dangerous evergreen ability? I feel like Lifelink is probably the one that could cause the most of a headache.

I posted it just above you. ;) (Flash)

Lifelink's problem is that it's perceived as not being "cool" or "strong" enough on its own by R&D and gets thrown on cards as an ancillary ability when it has no business being there. (e.g. Griselbrand, Batterskull)

I don't see how it's anything else. Lifelink is powerful, sure, but hexproof created a new archetype. Ain't nobody making a Modern Lifelink deck.

The problem with Hexproof is that ultimately it's just evasion*. It's really strong (in certain formats) atm because indirect removal isn't as prevalent and countermagic is weak. Thankfully, unlike Lifelink R&D seems to respect its power level appropriately enough, for now at least**. (sry krev)

It still should probably be phased out in favor of Shroud exclusively imo.

*pls no True-Name Nemesis pastarino

**pls no Geist of St. Traft cappuccino

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Lifelink's problem is that it's perceived as not being "cool" or "strong" enough on its own by R&D and gets thrown on cards as an ancillary ability when it has no business being there. (e.g. Griselbrand, Batterskull)

The problem with Hexproof is that ultimately it's just evasion*. It's really strong (in certain formats) atm because indirect removal isn't as prevalent and countermagic is weak. Thankfully, unlike Lifelink R&D seems to respect its power level appropriately enough, for now at least**. (sry krev)

It still should probably be phased out in favor of Shroud exclusively imo.

*pls no True-Name Nemesis pastarino

**pls no Geist of St. Traft cappuccino

Shit like Witchstalker ruins everything, though.

Angry Grimace

Is Witchstalker seeing play? I haven't followed

Hexproof decks always run Witchstalker. I hate it because they always follow up with a full suite of pants.

Deck looks mostly like this:

4 Bassara Tower Archer
2 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Gladecover Scout
4 Voice of Resurgence
4 Witchstalker
Lands (22)

4 Mana Confluence
4 Sacred Foundry
2 Selesnya Guildgate
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Plenty

Spells (20)

2 Banishing Light
1 Chained to the Rocks
4 Ethereal Armor
2 Gift of Orzhova
4 Madcap Skills
4 Unflinching Courage
3 Boros Charm

Sideboard

3 Aegis of the Gods
3 Boon Satyr
3 Ajani's Presence
3 Electrickery
3 Wear

Its not magical christmas land. His removal penalty is literally always relevant as long as you have creatures on the board. Brimaz and Lifebane Zombie aren't always relevant because they die to every form of removal in the format outside of doom blade, and most decks that play doom blade have dark betrayal in the SB anyways. Its more magical christmasland to suggest that you don't play him simply because you win the moment your blood baron hits the board. I'm not saying he fits in every midrange B/W shell, I'm saying that I don't think he's unplayable.

Brimaz is overrated in midrange anyways. You know what else bricks aggro? Lifegain sheep.

Athreos sucks/rules arguments seem to be dominating the MTG internet, though. :lol

Lifebane Zombie is always relevant because you get to see your opponent's hand. That's a more consistent bonus than a card that sometimes does something, maybe, if you also have other cards.

I just don't see the point of playing a bad combo card in a midrange deck when all the positives of using him are ifs and buts.

You know what the difference between Brimaz and the sheep are? Brimaz unanswered can deal damage to your opponent. Something Athreos doesn't do unless you have other cards, the ones that are actually going to pressure your opponent.

You have to be so far ahead in a midrange deck to make athreos valuable that he might as well not be played in the first place.

Even Pharika is a better midrange god then Athreos.

Angry Grimace

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110876464]I feel like the only way to escalate the argument anyway was to suggest you'd be better off maindecking pithing needle.[/QUOTE]

Or I could offer to let you read my Ash Zealot x Snapcaster Mage slashfic

She's a rough-and-tumble tomboy that can't bear to settle down.

He's a freewheeling partier that can't let go of the past.

When fire meets water, this summer gets steamy.

Izzet Me, Izzet You. The feel-good romantic comedy of the year.

Crocodile

You say that as if the Lifelink on Griselbrand wasn't an obviously intentional choice to combo with its draw ability. The cards is entirely different without the Lifelink, it wasn't thrown on there willy-nilly.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110878735]She's a rough-and-tumble tomboy that can't bear to settle down.

Izzet Me, Izzet You. The feel-good romantic comedy of the year.[/QUOTE]

#dead

Karakand

You say that as if the Lifelink on Griselbrand wasn't an obviously intentional choice to combo with its draw ability. The cards is entirely different without the Lifelink, it wasn't thrown on there willy-nilly.

Without the Lifelink it's *just* a Yawgmoth's Bargain on a stick for an additional BB that lets you keep your draw step and has no penalty for cheating it into play. What a bad card.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110878735]She's a rough-and-tumble tomboy that can't bear to settle down.

I want to applaud you, but also at the same time punch you in the face. LOL

The Adder

Banned
So I had a pretty funny match with my B/W humans deck. Opponent played Desecration Demon, I responded with Dictate of Erebos and Athreos.

His Desecration Demon didn't stay on the field for long.

Jaeyden

All day win. lol

If this was reddit, I'd buy you gold. I'm dying over here.

God, I cannot pull a Mana Confluence to save my life. And no one is trading for them here. I even offered Athreos straight trades for one and am getting turned down. I have 1 copy of the card so far. Traded 1 Athreos and a mess of foils into a local gaming store for a box of boosters and pulled 0 Confluences.

Got another Athreos, a Kruphix, a Keranos, a Flamespeaker, and a Godsend. No Confluence.

The Adder

Banned
God, I cannot pull a Mana Confluence to save my life. And no one is trading for them here. I even offered Athreos straight trades for one and am getting turned down. I have 1 copy of the card so far. Traded 1 Athreos and a mess of foils into a local gaming store for a box of boosters and pulled 0 Confluences.

Got another Athreos, a Kruphix, a Keranos, a Flamespeaker, and a Godsend. No Confluence.

Do you live in Seattle? Because I'm willing to trade.

It's that time again! Everybody post your Standard decks going into the NYX season.

Esper Control

Instants(12)
  • 4x Dissolve
  • 3x Sphinx's Revelation
  • 2x Syncopate
  • 1x Last Breath
  • 1x Doom Blade
  • 1x Ultimate Price
Sorceries(7)
  • 4x Supreme Verdict
  • 3x Thoughtseize
Enchantments(5)
  • 4x Detention Sphere
  • 1x Banishing Light
Planeswalkers(6)
  • 4x Jace, Architect of Thought
  • 2x Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Creatures(3)
  • 2x Blood Baron of Viskopa
  • 1x AEtherling
Land(27)
  • 12x Temples of Esper
  • 6x Island
  • 4x Hallowed Fountain
  • 2x Watery Grave
  • 2x Plains
  • 1x Godless Shrine

Sideboard(15)
  • 3x Nightveil Specter
  • 3x Dark Betrayal
  • 2x Fiendslayer Paladin
  • 2x Blind Obedience
  • 2x Gainsay
  • 1x Doom Blade
  • 1x Thoughtseize
  • 1x Pithing Needle

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110910913]It's that time again! Everybody post your Standard decks going into the NYX season.

Esper Control

Instants(12)
  • 4x Dissolve
  • 3x Sphinx's Revelation
  • 2x Syncopate
  • 1x Last Breath
  • 1x Doom Blade
  • 1x Ultimate Price
Sorceries(7)
  • 4x Supreme Verdict
  • 3x Thoughtseize
Enchantments(5)
  • 4x Detention Sphere
  • 1x Banishing Light
Planeswalkers(6)
  • 4x Jace, Architect of Thought
  • 2x Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Creatures(3)
  • 2x Blood Baron of Viskopa
  • 1x AEtherling
Land(27)
  • 12x Temples of Esper
  • 6x Island
  • 4x Hallowed Fountain
  • 2x Watery Grave
  • 2x Plains
  • 1x Godless Shrine

Sideboard(15)
  • 3x Nightveil Specter
  • 3x Dark Betrayal
  • 2x Fiendslayer Paladin
  • 2x Blind Obedience
  • 2x Gainsay
  • 1x Doom Blade
  • 1x Thoughtseize
  • 1x Pithing Needle
[/QUOTE]

Any thoughts on including either Mana Confluence or Devour Flesh?

Mine so far:

Orzhov Midrange

2 Obzedat, Ghost Dads
3 Pack Rat
3 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
4 Desecration Demon

2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

4 Thoughtseize
1 Deicide
3 Bile Blight
3 Read the Bones
3 Devour Flesh
4 Hero's Downfall
3 Banishing Light

3 Plains
11 Swamp
4 Godless Shrine
4 Mutavault
4 Temple of Silence

Sideboard:

3 Lifebane Zombie
1 Read the Bones
? Silence the Believers
1 Worst Fears (I really want to kill someone with this just once)
2 Duress
2 Celestial Flare
2 Dark Betrayal

I haven't figured out the SB that much yet, though.

UWR ControlSuperfriends

Creatures:
1x Aetherling
2x Keranos, God of Storms

Planeswalkers:
2x Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3x Jace, Architect of Thought
2x Chandra, Pyromaster
2x Ral Zarek

Spells:
4x Supreme Verdict
4x Sphinx's Revelation
4x Detention Sphere
2x Banishing Light
2x Counterflux
3x Dissolve
2x Azorius Charm

Lands:
2x Steam Vents
4x Sacred Foundry
4x Hallowed Fountain
4x Temple of Epiphany
3x Temple of Triumph
4x Temple of Enlightenment
2x Mutavault
3x Island
1x Plains

SB:
1x Pithing Needle
1x Elixir of Immortality
1x Cyclonic Rift
1x Disperse
2x Nyx-Fleece Ram
1x Mizzium Mortars
1x Blast of Genius
2x Turn//Burn
1x Thassa, God of the Sea
1x Syncopate
1x Dissolve
1x Gainsay
1x Jace, Memory Adept

I'm also 2 Thassas and a Master of Waves away from a Mono-Blue Devotion with Hypnotic Sirens, Daring Thiefs, Dictate of Kruphix, and splash for Keranos. I'm looking forward to getting that deck together.

I can't get a decent UG together, because I only own one copy of Breeding Pool.

I'm missing Flamespeakers and Mana Confluences needed to Rw Aggro or Big Red ideas that I have. (And no, I live in Michigan. Dag.)

I need to get another couple of decks together by this weekend and I'm thinking about modifying my alread-built GR DevoMon and Mono-black Devotion. But my local meta is so so fast right and removal heavy right now. You either go aggro yourself or you try to sidestep the removal with control shells.

OnPoint

Props. I love this.

Any thoughts on including either Mana Confluence or Devour Flesh?

In your deck or mine? Here's my take on your deck:

Orzhov Control

Creatures(13)
  • 2 Obzedat, Ghost Dads
  • 3 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
  • 4 Pack Rat
  • 4 Desecration Demon
Planeswalkers(2)
  • 2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Spells(12)
  • 4 Thoughtseize
  • 2 Devour Flesh
  • 2 Bile Blight
  • 4 Hero's Downfall
Enchantments(8)
  • 4 Underworld Connections
  • 2 Banishing Light
  • 1 Whip of Erebos
Lands(26)
  • 3 Plains
  • 9 Swamp
  • 4 Godless Shrine
  • 4 Mutavault
  • 4 Temple of Silence
  • 2 Orzhov Guildgate

Sideboard:
  • 4 Lifebane Zombie
  • 4 Duress
  • 1 Erebos, God of the Dead
  • 1 Banishing Light
  • 2 Dark Betrayal
  • 2 Devour Flesh
  • 1 Pithing Needle

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110914168]In your deck or mine? Here's my take on your deck:

Orzhov Control

Creatures(13)
  • 2 Obzedat, Ghost Dads
  • 3 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
  • 4 Pack Rat
  • 4 Desecration Demon
Planeswalkers(2)
  • 2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Spells(12)
  • 4 Thoughtseize
  • 2 Devour Flesh
  • 2 Bile Blight
  • 4 Hero's Downfall
Enchantments(8)
  • 4 Underworld Connections
  • 2 Banishing Light
  • 1 Whip of Erebos
Lands(26)
  • 3 Plains
  • 9 Swamp
  • 4 Godless Shrine
  • 4 Mutavault
  • 4 Temple of Silence
  • 2 Orzhov Guildgate

Sideboard:
  • 4 Lifebane Zombie
  • 4 Duress
  • 1 Erebos, God of the Dead
  • 1 Banishing Light
  • 2 Dark Betrayal
  • 2 Devour Flesh
  • 1 Pithing Needle
[/QUOTE]

Was talking about yours. Devour Flesh is some of the best removal in the format.

I was thinking about Underworld Connections, but I kind of shyed away from it just because I didn't like how it was performing and I felt like Read the Bones has been more consistent in getting me what I actually need faster.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I would take two Confluences over the Guildgates every time. I think 2 of is perfect in that deck. You're running 3 Blood Barons. One tap with any of them and you've balanced out the life loss. Because if you're tapping Confluence more than 4 times with this deck, you got mana screwed. I'd take having the mana I want, when I want it over that fringe case any day.

Plus, the amount of times I've been screwed by guildgates (and watching enough streams show this happens to better players than I all the time) I feel like those lands are a necessary evil that should be eliminated at the first possible opportunity.

Fair point, Wind.

Was talking about yours. Devour Flesh is some of the best removal in the format.

It absolutely is. But it's also really important that I have targeted removal in a deck with few persistent threats. Losing two mana and a card to kill a mutavault instead of a Desecration Demon is really really bad for me.

Angry Grimace

I would take two Confluences over the Guildgates every time. I think 2 of is perfect in that deck. You're running 3 Blood Barons. One tap with any of them and you've balanced out the life loss. Because if you're tapping Confluence more than 4 times with this deck, you got mana screwed. I'd take having the mana I want, when I want it over that fringe case any day.

Plus, the amount of times I've been screwed by guildgates (and watching enough streams show this happens to better players than I all the time) I feel like those lands are a necessary evil that should be eliminated at the first possible opportunity.

I might just copy the mana base that was in a very similar deck over the weekend:

4 Godless Shrine
2 Mana Confluence
4 Mutavault
1 Plains
11 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence

WanderingWind

I might just copy the mana base that was in a very similar deck over the weekend:

4 Godless Shrine
2 Mana Confluence
4 Mutavault
1 Plains
11 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence

Seems pretty solid. I like the one plains, like we're future proofing against some reprint of Path to Exile :p

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110915728]Depends on how important turn 5 obzedat is to the deck. Not easy to cast off 11 white sources. Probably worth less than a solid base for the rest of the cards, I'm sure.[/QUOTE]

Shaving swamps for plains may not be the worst thing ever, agreed. I don't know if it's necessary, but I'd probably goldfish for mana drops to see when I hit the second white.

This has made my morning

y2dvd

Yeah, you're getting more love for this haha. Soo good!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110878735]Izzet Me, Izzet You. The feel-good romantic comedy of the year.[/QUOTE]

The best.

Angry Grimace

I'm gonna laugh my ass off the first time I lose to a Master Thief deck (a standard deck built around Master of Feasts and Notion Thief).

Angry Grimace

Gotta throw in Dictate of Kruphix and Dakra Mystic to have the best Notion Thief ever.

That's pretty much MasterThief.dec

All you do is draw a billion cards and hope to somehow kill them before you deck yourself.

Angry Grimace

Cheap I'm sure

RcAsAZU.jpg

Did a draft with some friends and got:
Iroas, God of Victory
Godesnd
Worst Fears

Missed out on winning Ajani, Mentor of Heroes in a booster pack by 2 life.

Firemind

The only people even getting these are the higher level judges. Those Force foils are going to be insanely expensive.

Still can't beat old frame FoW plus Terese Nielsen. You can actually visibly notice a force of will taking place. Also, the barbarian is what makes it iconic. Sexy lady taking his place in a shitty stance seems like pandering of the highest order.

Top Bottom