• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Still can't beat old frame FoW plus Terese Nielsen. You can actually visibly notice a force of will taking place. Also, the barbarian is what makes it iconic. Sexy lady taking his place in a shitty stance seems like pandering of the highest order.

The most popular characters are Vampire Sephiroth, Mind-Powers Anakin Skywalker and about 5 different scantily clad women.

Karakand

I recognize that Force of Will from Duels of the Planeswalkers, was the art used anywhere else?

Or sex'd up Hanna

arc1489_hsn.jpg

Hannaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

rCIZZLE

Dailies seem to be getting about half or less entrants since the update yesterday. Really killed any motivation I had to log on until this spotlight shit ends.

y2dvd

I have not been able to figure out this block draft pass THR/THR/THR lol. At least JOU/BRN/THR is waaaaaaaay more fun than BRN/THR/THR. Constellation actually works in a limited environment.

That judge foil Elesh Norn is absurd.

Has there been any new information on Vintage Masters for MTGO yet? The release is next month and I was hoping there would be some spoiler information out by now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That judge foil Elesh Norn is absurd.

Has there been any new information on Vintage Masters for MTGO yet? The release is next month and I was hoping there would be some spoiler information out by now.

Nope.

They're probably busy with getting Journey up on MTGO, fixing the beta and the announcment for the block next weekend. I assume we might hear something about VM around the same time as the block announcement.

rCIZZLE

Tried signing up for a daily on the beta client since I'm bored and for some reason I immediately got dropped soon as the event fired. Really glad they're forcing this on us.

f0rk

...I shudder to ask, but how much?

Offered one guy £175 for 2 NM which he accepted. Then asked someone else who has 1 what he wanted and he said £75. I don't really know if I'm paying too much for the pair or the second guy doesn't want enough.

For some reason in Europe the FS ones are cheaper than MMA which in my mind makes them a better investment (I'm buying them to play though). I think old art + modern frame would be the best combo.

Once I get these 3 I need 1 more Goyf, an Arid Mesa and 4 green fetches to finish Zoo ready for PTQ season.

Angry Grimace

They need to be printing small runs of Tarmogoyf a lot more often. Its one thing to protect people's "investments" and its another to price everyone out of Legacy and Modern entirely.

I'm still intensely interested in what exactly they plan to print in Vintage Masters. It would be super weird to draft JTMS in the same set as Black Lotus.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Offered one guy £175 for 2 NM which he accepted. Then asked someone else who has 1 what he wanted and he said £75. I don't really know if I'm paying too much for the pair or the second guy doesn't want enough.

For some reason in Europe the FS ones are cheaper than MMA which in my mind makes them a better investment (I'm buying them to play though). I think old art + modern frame would be the best combo.

Once I get these 3 I need 1 more Goyf, an Arid Mesa and 4 green fetches to finish Zoo ready for PTQ season.

Sexy. I'm jealous as hell. The German card market is nonexistent, as near as I can tell.

Angry Grimace

Yeah. I'd be willing to buy at least 1 I think, though prob not at $500.

At some point, I had at least 7 or 8 Force of Wills. I sold all of my cards for $20 to "some kind on the bus," so I could use the money to buy X-Men trading cards, though.

Of course, I'm old enough that literally every black card I see I have to remind myself you can't actually play Dark Ritual.

I have not been able to figure out this block draft pass THR/THR/THR lol. At least JOU/BRN/THR is waaaaaaaay more fun than BRN/THR/THR. Constellation actually works in a limited environment.
I feel the exact opposite. The abundance of playable combat tricks compared to powerful creatures and no bestow at common really make it annoying to build a game plan now. I've also noticed a lot more fighting over cards because of the high pick mediocre creatures.

Jaeyden

Joined a national trading group and have started putting out offers for goyfs what is wrong with me

Nothing wrong with it, definitely better than shop prices. It's a great group just be vigilant with your deals, I've seen one or two people have problems but for the most part 99% is legit. I got 2 Delta's, 2 Mire's and a top off it a few months back...on the cheap. I'm guessing I just saw your post for MM ->FS aye?

f0rk

Nothing wrong with it, definitely better than shop prices. It's a great group just be vigilant with your deals, I've seen one or two people have problems but for the most part 99% is legit. I got 2 Delta's, 2 Mire's and a top off it a few months back...on the cheap. I'm guessing I just saw your post for MM ->FS aye?
No, I'm just sniping people who say they have them.
It does seem to be the cheapest way of doing it, mcm is OK except my bank charges a tenner for the international transfer

Jaeyden

Ahh, fair enough. Is it the FB UK/Ireland Vintage/Legacy group? That's where I've been doing trades.

Edit: OK sorry just realized Magic Card Market. Any way we have a decent FB trade group too you might want to join if you're not in it.

f0rk

It's UK & Ireland MTG Cards for Trade & Sale. I guess there's a lot of overlap.
People look to be throwing a lot more value around in the legacy one though lol

Angry Grimace

I love it when I get the opponent to 1 life and then lose becuase he topdecked the 100% perfect response to whatever I just did, e.g. I have 12 life, he has 1, my next card is Pharika, I have Grim Guardian on the battlefield, and he has three creatures and I just attacked with everyone.

Launch the Fleet to take me to exactly 0.

My luck in limited seems to be held back not just by my inability to judge cards but by completely perfect topdecking. =/

I love it when I get the opponent to 1 life and then lose becuase he topdecked the 100% perfect response to whatever I just did, e.g. I have 12 life, he has 1, my next card is Pharika, I have Grim Guardian on the battlefield, and he has three creatures and I just attacked with everyone.

My luck in limited seems to be held back not just by my inability to judge cards but by completely perfect topdecking. =/

In this case, we're talking about a rare, so it's a little harder to predict, but you must always be asking yourself "what card can my opponent topdeck to win from here?" If that card exists, ask yourself "is there a play in which I still win in the same number of turns but doesn't lose to that card?" In your situation, if you're going to win the next turn anyway just by activating Pharika, why bother attacking if the attack isn't going to win the game that turn? It just plays around more stuff.

Without a better description of game state it's hard to say for sure, but it sounds like you thought you couldn't lose and got reckless.

Karakand

Well it is a block with Scry...

Angry Grimace

Well, I'd have to be a bitch to complain about the cards I drafted next:

Prophetic Flamespeaker
Keranos, God of Storms
Mana Confleunce
(Foil Master of Feasts)

In this case, we're talking about a rare, so it's a little harder to predict, but you must always be asking yourself "what card can my opponent topdeck to win from here?" If that card exists, ask yourself "is there a play in which I still win in the same number of turns but doesn't lose to that card?" In your situation, if you're going to win the next turn anyway just by activating Pharika, why bother attacking if the attack isn't going to win the game that turn? It just plays around more stuff.

Without a better description of game state it's hard to say for sure, but it sounds like you thought you couldn't lose and got reckless.

He wasn't at one before I attacked

Crocodile

This. You dun fucked up Grimace (given what you've told us). I understand that getting topdecked out of a game sucks but the decisions you make even turns prior can influence the power of drawn cards from both your or your opponent. Sometimes you have to play to win and sometimes you have to play to not to lose. It's also the same thing when you know things are going bad that part of being a good Magic player is knowing what cards in your deck can save you and playing in a way that puts you in a position so that if you were to draw that card it could win you the game.

He wasn't at one before I attacked

Ohh; so you're saying that you had just attacked to take him to one, not that you flat out attacked while he was at one. I still need to know more information to know if it was correct to get that aggressive, but if there's one thing I've learned from playing Theros it's that it's rarely correct to leave zero blockers against a white deck.

Angry Grimace

Ohh; so you're saying that you had just attacked to take him to one, not that you flat out attacked while he was at one. I still need to know more information to know if it was correct to get that aggressive, but if there's one thing I've learned from playing Theros it's that it's rarely correct to leave zero blockers against a white deck.

I don't have the gamestate in front of me, but I think I had a block or two, he just used the card to kill me :(

Went 2-0-1 at FNM tonight; it was good enough to tie for top of the pod, but the TO/judge wouldn't split/give out two prizes and was a bit of a dick about it.

Afterwards we came back and drafted a couple times on MTGO. The first draft was a sick GB deck with Master of the Feast (that card is insane) that only lost in the finals because it never saw a forest game three even after mulliganing. The second draft was a less good deck, but very few decks could have beaten our round one opponent's King Macar backed up with Gods Willing in both games.

The full block draft format is actually really sweet. I'm loving it.

Angry Grimace

Went 2-0-1 at FNM tonight; it was good enough to tie for top of the pod, but the TO/judge wouldn't split/give out two prizes and was a bit of a dick about it.

Afterwards we came back and drafted a couple times on MTGO. The first draft was a sick GB deck with Master of the Feast (that card is insane) that only lost in the finals because it never saw a forest game three even after mulliganing. The second draft was a less good deck, but very few decks could have beaten our round one opponent's King Macar backed up with Gods Willing in both games.

The full block draft format is actually really sweet. I'm loving it.

Yup, I got my shit wrecked by Master of the Feasts. I pulled a foil one, but I raredrafted the Mana Confluence instead. It proceeded to kick my ass again.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, he's sweet. There really aren't that many things that kill him since he's at 5 toughness.

My only hope in the Sealed game was to pray I topdecked Hero's Downfall, which I didn't. The other player also sent me a chat that said something like "HO HO HO IM FEELING HUNGRY!" every time he played Master of the Feast.

If you can, side in some enchantment removal, since there's a lot of that in the format and those will hit him.

Shoogoo

My brother and I are playing Magic after what feels like 20 years, and he's already pulling that shitty Circle of Protection : Black and I play monoblack. What cards can I use to counter it?

I have mostly revised and unlimited cards but I'd totally buy a single card to counter that crap. Black doesn't really deal well with enchantments, right?

ultron87

My brother and I are playing Magic after what feels like 20 years, and he's already pulling that shitty Circle of Protection : Black and I play monoblack. What cards can I use to counter it?

I have mostly revised and unlimited cards but I'd totally buy a single card to counter that crap. Black doesn't really deal well with enchantments, right?

The traditional black approach for things it can't kill (namely artifacts and enchantments) is to get them out of the opponent's hand before they can cast them. You could use an effect like Duress to accomplish this: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=370577 Of course this only works if you can catch it in their hand, which is tough with a 2-mana Circle of Protection.

Shoogoo

The traditional black approach for things it can't kill (namely artifacts and enchantments) is to get them out of the opponent's hand before they can cast them.

You could use an effect like Duress to accomplish this: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=370577 Of course this only works if you can catch it in their hand, which is tough with a 2-mana Circle of Protection.

Thanks, it looks like it's a cheap card so I'm totally getting 4 of those. Anything else? I have a Nevyniral Disk but isn't that overkill?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

Pithing Needle

Angry Grimace

If you're playing with Revised and Unlimited cards, you should probably make sure they're not worth hundreds of dollars before you play them. Even some commons (e.g. Sinkhole) are worth quite a bit of money.

Top Bottom