• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Karakand

Thanks, it looks like it's a cheap card so I'm totally getting 4 of those. Anything else? I have a Nevyniral Disk but isn't that overkill?

Depends on your deck. What's it look like? If CoP is wrecking you I don't think you have a threat density that makes Disk punitive.

Sure am glad to have rules changed to make cards with third rate keywords "more fun".

in b4 "it was too gamey under the old rules"

More that it didn't make sense to anyone who wasn't an L2 judge before.

But CoP uses a mana ability, no? I've looked it up online, and it's indeed a good answer to CoP, but I must admit I don't understand why.

Barring some bizarre exceptions, a mana ability is something that produces mana, not something that uses mana. So Llanowar Elves has a mana ability, but Grim Lavamancer does not.

Introducing my new Standard troll deck: Wg Lifegain

4 Soldier of the Pantheon
3 Brave the Elements

4 Space Sheep
2 Voracious Wurm
3 Selesnya Charm

3 Fiendslayer Paladin
3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos

2 Dawnbringer Charioteers
4 Advent of the Wurm

4 Archangel of Thune
2 Ajani, Mentor of Heroes

2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

2 Grove of the Guardian
2 Mutavault
4 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Plenty
2 Mana Confluence
2 Forest
8 Plains

Sideboard:
1 Pithing Needle
4 Voice of Resurgence
4 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Ajani's Presence
1 Fiendslayer Paladin
1 Bow of Nylea
2 Scavenging Ooze

Brimaz + Grove of the Guardian synergy is out of control.

I do think I need Aigis of the Gods somewhere in the sideboard because Lifebane Zombie is the devil.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";111405517]Introducing my new Standard troll deck: Wg Lifegain

4 Soldier of the Pantheon
3 Brave the Elements

4 Space Sheep
2 Voracious Wurm
3 Selesnya Charm

3 Fiendslayer Paladin
3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos

2 Dawnbringer Charioteers
4 Advent of the Wurm

4 Archangel of Thune
2 Ajani, Mentor of Heroes

2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

2 Grove of the Guardian
2 Mutavault
4 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Plenty
2 Mana Confluence
2 Forest
8 Plains

Sideboard:
1 Pithing Needle
4 Voice of Resurgence
4 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Ajani's Presence
1 Fiendslayer Paladin
1 Bow of Nylea
2 Scavenging Ooze

Brimaz + Grove of the Guardian synergy is out of control.

I do think I need Aigis of the Gods somewhere in the sideboard because Lifebane Zombie is the devil.[/QUOTE]

wggoodstuff.dec

f0rk

I have no interest in watching the swiss of even a Modern GP with these commentators. Marshall doesn't know anything and just asks JVL questions, and he doesn't know anything either but thinks/pretends he does.

I have no interest in watching the swiss of even a Modern GP with these commentators. Marshall doesn't know anything and just asks JVL questions, and he doesn't know anything either but thinks/pretends he does.

You're misunderstanding Marshall's role. He's trying to create conversation and ask the questions he thinks someone in the audience might be asking. I do agree that JVL isn't very good at playing the second half of that role, however.

f0rk

You're misunderstanding Marshall's role. He's trying to create conversation and ask the questions he thinks someone in the audience might be asking. I do agree that JVL isn't very good at playing the second half of that role, however.

I find his questions are either dumb or reallllly basic though, like what does Pridemage do. And they don't even bring it up on screen. It's fine if the leading questions actually have some insight behind them but explain what this popular card does and why it's good against a Splinter Twin doesn't add anything to like 90% of the people watching.
I actively root against LSV because if he scrubs out he'll probably come and improve the coverage vastly.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";111464764]Wow, that new Hannah, Ship's Navigator judge foil is going for crazy prices.[/QUOTE]
FoW is batshit insane due to the low availability.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hitting Deicide for value is one of the greatest things in standard right now.

Angry Grimace

Well, my drafting has gotten better to the point I can win one round before getting owned.
KuGsj.gif

I thought I did my worst draft ever, but it actually sort of worked in a weird way. Minotaurs and as many direct damage spells as possible.

I just hope twin/kiki prices don't skyrocket more before I can buy or trade for them.
That goes for cryptic command and celestial collonade too.

Angry Grimace

Also, my seemingly terrible decision to draft Lightning Strike over Hammer of Purphoros redeemed, since my second round opponent died twice in a row to being brought to four, hit with lightning strike and then dying to the life loss from Herald of Torment on the same turn he would have killed me.

Also, my seemingly terrible decision to draft Lightning Strike over Hammer of Purphoros redeemed, since my second round opponent died twice in a row to being brought to four, hit with lightning strike and then dying to the life loss from Herald of Torment on the same turn he would have killed me.

Hammer of Purphoros is the goddamn devil. So many drafts I thought I had locked then that shit won out of nowhere.

I almost forgot Vintage Masters was rolling out soon. I might have to sell a Force of Will or three so I can afford it. I can't imagine power is going to be something they reprint often online.

Angry Grimace

Oh boy, more Vintage Masters spoilers. Oh wait, its just dual lands. =/

I almost forgot Vintage Masters was rolling out soon. I might have to sell a Force of Will or three so I can afford it. I can't imagine power is going to be something they reprint often online.

Depends how much money it makes.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
All I'm saying, is that if I was working in marketing for WotC, I would be tearing out my hair seeing all the money they just leave off the table for reasons.

$1,000 bucks for a card? So much money not being made by the company making the product.

Also, anybody want a kidney? I have one for sale for 4k. (I need a playset, duh.)

EDIT: Vintage Masters spoiled http://www.wizards.com/Magic/tcg/article.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/vintagemasters/cig

rCIZZLE

Was a little bittersweet seeing Scapeshift win the GP last night. It's the only post-DRS deck I really want to be playing so I like seeing that choice validated with results but winning brings a little more attention than I'd like, especially going into the next NA Modern GP which I'll be attending. The decklist itself was very interesting though and makes me question a lot of my current card choices. No bolts and a set of Serum Visions were the strangest choices in my opinion. Regarding Serum Visions and even Telling Time, most games I lose are due to not drawing a Scapeshift after I've stabilized and neither of those spells match the raw digging capability of Peer Through Depths.

bigkrev

I bet bigkrev wishes he had hexproof now.

nope

All I'm saying, is that if I was working in marketing for WotC, I would be tearing out my hair seeing all the money they just leave off the table for reasons.

$1,000 bucks for a card? So much money not being made by the company making the product.

Also, anybody want a kidney? I have one for sale for 4k. (I need a playset, duh.)

EDIT: Vintage Masters spoiled http://www.wizards.com/Magic/tcg/article.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/vintagemasters/cig

It's actually really smart for them to have these cards priced so high- they use these cards as a form of payment to judges in lieu of cash (and then needing to do W-2s, report earnings, pay taxes, ect). Without lots of judges, the entire OP system falls apart. There needs to be strong incentive for judges to travel, train new people, and do it all for zero dollars compensation.

And that Vintage Masters stuff seems super pricey. 30(!) Mythics, plus Power only appearing 1 in every 54 packs- you would need to open close to 500 packs to even SEE 9 pieces, and you probably will be getting some dupes. And the fact that packs are 6.99 each like MM means that unless there are money common and uncommons in here (Daze, Wasteland ect printed at original rarity), its going to be stupid expensive to acquire power.

And that Vintage Masters stuff seems super pricey. 30(!) Mythics, plus Power only appearing 1 in every 54 packs- you would need to open close to 500 packs to even SEE 9 pieces, and you probably will be getting some dupes. And the fact that packs are 6.99 each like MM means that unless there are money common and uncommons in here (Daze, Wasteland ect printed at original rarity), its going to be stupid expensive to acquire power.

As it should be, honestly. As much as I want some power, it shouldn't be trivial to get them, even if they're in an in-print product.

y2dvd

I don't really follow Modern and was watching that finals with the Scapeshift. I didn't understand the win condition though. Sacs a bunch of lands, brings lands in but then what?

bigkrev

I don't really follow Modern and was watching that finals with the Scapeshift. I didn't understand the win condition though. Sacs a bunch of lands, brings lands in but then what?

You get Valakut plus at least 6 mountains (Steam Vents/Stomping Grounds/Mountains), that enter play simultaniously, and you get all the triggers, dealing 3 damage for each mountain you fetched. Due to shock/fetchlands, you normally only need to get to 7 lands to kill, but sometimes you need a few extra

As it should be, honestly. As much as I want some power, it shouldn't be trivial to get them, even if they're in an in-print product.

Most people don't play Vintage because of the prohibitive cost of the format. I don't think there are many people who would be willing to purely invest in DIGITAL vintage, and the extreme rarity of the power makes it less and less likely there will be any sort of community on MTGO

Angry Grimace

nope

It's actually really smart for them to have these cards priced so high- they use these cards as a form of payment to judges in lieu of cash (and then needing to do W-2s, report earnings, pay taxes, ect). Without lots of judges, the entire OP system falls apart. There needs to be strong incentive for judges to travel, train new people, and do it all for zero dollars compensation.

Demand won't be that high because all of them are restricted. But they'll still be extra pricey for one.

But the big issue is whether VM is going to reprint the cards around the P9 that need to exist to support Vintage.

Can someone explain to me the relationship between the release of vintage masters and the real power 9 cards? Like, is Wizards going to print you a set of power 9 if you get the entire vintage masters set? Releases like this still confuse me.

ultron87

Vintage Masters is online only with no redemption. So no reserve list breaking here.

It's just a way to get the cards out there on MTGO so people can play Vintage.

Angry Grimace

Can someone explain to me the relationship between the release of vintage masters and the real power 9 cards? Like, is Wizards going to print you a set of power 9 if you get the entire vintage masters set? Releases like this still confuse me.

No redemption set.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Man, I am digging UR right now. Firedancer, brehs. Keranos, homies. Counters, direct damage, efficient creatures.

This deck can do it. Believe.

Angry Grimace

I bet its going to be like Modern Masters and the cards are only available for 2 weeks. Which would be dumb since you need a few months of this to really have any shot at making Vintage a thing, since Vintage is a totally unsupported format on MODO right now.

Also, Maro bringing the racist humor to MTG:

A2V5YtT.png

then trying to dig himself out with bizarre references to the color pie:

TNcvsaB.png

bigkrev

I bet its going to be like Modern Masters and the cards are only available for 2 weeks. Which would be dumb since you need a few months of this to really have any shot at making Vintage a thing, since Vintage is a totally unsupported format on MODO right now.

Also, Maro bringing the racist humor to MTG:

A2V5YtT.png

then trying to dig himself out with bizarre references to the color pie:

TNcvsaB.png

WOW
He went back and edited it
tumblr_n5gy5wgX8u1qjqvxao1_500.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Going in a little too hard there MaRo. Step back from the game a bit.

bigkrev

I like the concept of the joke, but going with something like "And she would never let us go to the beach because she couldn't decide if the sun or the water was more dangerous" or "she would never let us have any fun on our camping trip" would have made the point just as well, without everyone thinking it's racist at first glance

Angry Grimace

Given how neurotic Rosewater is about the color pie I totally buy it was an honest mistake.

I'm relatively surprised at how many people on the internet genuinely seem to believe he's just a super bumbling, awkward dude that probably meant it the way he's saying now.

red13th

With a lot of good will and after reading the explanation, I suppose you can read it the way he said he meant it, but it's still a bad joke.

Karakand

The IRS can rule alternative compensation is actually compensation for (income and payroll) tax purposes. They might be able to do this a few more times but it's not a permanent solution.

Top Bottom