• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
They have been doing this since 1998

1) The compensation of a single card worth a grand for only specific judges isn't a real factor into anything. It's certainly awesome for the judges, but it's not an income or anything that will persuade somebody with any sort of sense to become a judge. You become a judge because you like the game, the card is just a bonus.

2) Most of the judge foils are worth some small amounts of money, but this is some next level shit.

3) Marketing's job isn't to give a shit about the judges, it's to make money for the company. My earlier point was that seeing the market react to 20 cents of shiny cardboard has got to have them breathing heavily. All other points aside, WotC is leaving metrics tons of money on the table with their policy. We can argue all day long about whether or not it's good or bad for the game in the long run, but since FoW isn't even on the reserve list and they believe modern is an essential part of the game, well...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sometimes I feel bad for playing Turn Two Pack Rat. Mostly I don't.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
At this level of immediate value?

No, but they used to have a policy that let them print judge foils of reserved list cards:

Uax4jQb.jpg

I'm thinking about getting into MTGO. I want to get a feeling for deck prices, so I was wondering what were some good resources for card prices on MTGO. Is there a site like TCGPlayer for MTGO?

Also, I was wondering what kinda cards you get with the base account. Any cards that are playable in standard?

Any reading/videos I should know about for spending tickets?

Angry Grimace

Have you seen him in any videos or listened to his podcast?

I suppose not hah.

I'm thinking about getting into MTGO. I want to get a feeling for deck prices, so I was wondering what were some good resources for card prices on MTGO. Is there a site like TCGPlayer for MTGO?

Also, I was wondering what kinda cards you get with the base account. Any cards that are playable in standard?

Any reading/videos I should know about for spending tickets?

mtgogoldfish, but the current prices tend to match up with mtgotraders, which shares prices with a lot of bots.

No, not really. But prices on MTGO and paper don't necessarily correlate. For example: Thoughtseize is $17 in paper, but its about $4.70 online. *Generally speaking* cards on MTGO are cheaper, but sometimes this is not true. For example, Jace AOT is still like 18 bucks online and Sphinx's Rev. is 10 bucks more on MTGO than it is in paper.

The thing you need to know about spending your tix is that you don't actually get "change" because tickets are not divisible. You just get store credit instead, so you need to stick to the same bots if you don't want to be throwing money away.

An-Det

A store here in CT closed over the weekend and news broke today. They were the place for legacy on Mondays, so all day people and stores have been posting to drum up interest in where to go and who to take up the mantle. Sucks for the store, but it's awesome seeing this level of interest in our local scene.

bigkrev

At this level of immediate value?

Last year, Imperial Recruter (which had a higher price tag than Alliance FOW does now) was one of the judge promos, along with other high priced cards like Show and Tell, Overwhelming Forces, Vindicate and old frame Crucible of Worlds'

The year before had Karakas, Xiaou Dun, the One Eyed, and Sneak Attack, and 2011 had Mana Crypt, Dark Confidant (old frame), and Vendillion Clique. A few years back, all the Onslaught fetchlands were printed in modern frames for judges.

Remember, WOTC is not involved with pricing in the secondary market.

Oh, and I guess Maro took one last try at the comic
tumblr_n5h4l2nVuc1qjqvxao1_500.jpg

Oh give me a break. It wasn't a color pie joke. Maro knew what he was doing. And guess what? The joke was actually quite amusing - comedians, television, movies, etc gets loads of mileage out of making jokes about the racist family members. It's a play on how parents are clueless, out of touch, behind the times, etc - see Chevy Chase's character on Community or every character Jessica Walters has ever played. There was nothing nefarious or mean-spirited about it. Making him change it is asinine.

This is where I really want to go off on a rant about the current state of outrage culture/SJWs/Tumblr and how they're doing more harm than good to their own cause, but this isn't the place. Suffice to say that all it takes is a little bit of understanding of the players involved to see that this came from a good place, not an evil one.

Jaeyden

Yeah, honestly either way you look at it he wasn't being offensive. Anywhooo, he should have just said Protection from White and left it to everyone's imaginations. Ba Dum Tiss.

Angry Grimace

Oh give me a break. It wasn't a color pie joke. Maro knew what he was doing. And guess what? The joke was actually quite amusing - comedians, television, movies, etc gets loads of mileage out of making jokes about the racist family members. It's a play on how parents are clueless, out of touch, behind the times, etc - see Chevy Chase's character on Community or every character Jessica Walters has ever played. There was nothing nefarious or mean-spirited about it. Making him change it is asinine.

This is where I really want to go off on a rant about the current state of outrage culture/SJWs/Tumblr and how they're doing more harm than good to their own cause, but this isn't the place. Suffice to say that all it takes is a little bit of understanding of the players involved to see that this came from a good place, not an evil one.

The joke was kind of funny as allegedly unintended, but super dorky and unfunny the way it was allegedly intended. Mother of Runes being racist isn't a "racist joke," its a joke about a racist.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He's been eating so much color pie he forgot about real life.

Hero

This. People need to put down their pitchforks.

bigkrev

If I'm Hasbro, and one of my employees who has a lot of interaction with the fans of my product is using official Magic the Gathering art to make a racist joke, I probably don't think it's funny. Is there ANY upside to the existence of the joke? Am I going to sell a single pack of cards more because of it? No. Is there a chance that someone sees it and gets offended? Yes.

kirblar

If I'm Hasbro, and one of my employees who has a lot of interaction with the fans of my product is using official Magic the Gathering art to make a racist joke, I probably don't think it's funny. Is there ANY upside to the existence of the joke? Am I going to sell a single pack of cards more because of it? No. Is there a chance that someone sees it and gets offended? Yes.
The problem is MaRo getting waaaaaaay too wrapped up in his color pie stuff.

If you follow his blog you'll see how this could happen.

I have zero patience for armchair activists who pick on easy targets rather than spending their efforts on real social issues. The world is not a better place because people raised a fuss and Mark Rosewater had to change a comic on his blog. Literally the only thing that accomplished was making those with the pitchforks feel better about themselves.

EDIT: This is also why I don't work in HR/PR. :p

So I think I can build a deck that supports infinite discard in Standard, trying to see if I can make it not suck and I'll post it up after my finals are done tomorrow.

An-Det

The decklist for the modern event deck is out: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/299a

Code:
Main Deck
60 cards

4  Caves of Koilos
2  City of Brass
4  Isolated Chapel
5  Plains
4  Swamp
1  Vault of the Archangel
4  Windbrisk Heights
24 lands

2  Soul Warden
3  Tidehollow Sculler
5 creatures

3  Honor of the Pure
2  Inquisition of Kozilek
4  Intangible Virtue
4  Lingering Souls
3  Path to Exile
4  Raise the Alarm
2  Shrine of Loyal Legions
4  Spectral Procession
1  Sword of Feast and Famine
3  Zealous Persecution
30 other spells

1  Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 planeswalker

Sideboard
2  Burrenton Forge-Tender
2  Dismember
3  Duress
2  Ghost Quarter
3  Kataki, War's Wage
3  Relic of Progenitus
15 sideboard cards

Angry Grimace

The decklist for the modern event deck is out: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/299a

Code:
Main Deck
60 cards

4  Caves of Koilos
2  City of Brass
4  Isolated Chapel
5  Plains
4  Swamp
1  Vault of the Archangel
4  Windbrisk Heights
24 lands

2  Soul Warden
3  Tidehollow Sculler
5 creatures

3  Honor of the Pure
2  Inquisition of Kozilek
4  Intangible Virtue
4  Lingering Souls
3  Path to Exile
4  Raise the Alarm
2  Shrine of Loyal Legions
4  Spectral Procession
1  Sword of Feast and Famine
3  Zealous Persecution
30 other spells

1  Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 planeswalker

Sideboard
2  Burrenton Forge-Tender
2  Dismember
3  Duress
2  Ghost Quarter
3  Kataki, War's Wage
3  Relic of Progenitus
15 sideboard cards
B/W tokens and no Bitterblossom? Investors gonna be super aggro :lol

bigkrev

Main Deck
60 cards

4 Caves of Koilos 2.50 x 4= 10
2 City of Brass 4x 2 = 8
4 Isolated Chapel 4.75 x 4 = 19
5 Plains
4 Swamp
1 Vault of the Archangel 1.25
4 Windbrisk Heights 7.50 x 4 = 30
24 lands (Total= 68.25)

2 Soul Warden 2 x .75 = 1.50
3 Tidehollow Sculler .75 x 3 = 2.25
5 creatures (Total = 3.75)

3 Honor of the Pure 2.25 x 3 = 6.75
2 Inquisition of Kozilek 7.50 x 2 = 15
4 Intangible Virtue .25 x 4 = 1
4 Lingering Souls .75 x 4 = 3
3 Path to Exile 7 x 3 = 21
4 Raise the Alarm .25 x 4 = 1
2 Shrine of Loyal Legions .25 x 2 = .50
4 Spectral Procession 2 x 4 = 8
1 Sword of Feast and Famine 25
3 Zealous Persecution 1 x 3 = 3
30 other spells (Total= 84.25)

1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant 20
1 planeswalker (Total= 20)

Sideboard
2 Burrenton Forge-Tender .5 x 2 = 1
2 Dismember 1.5 x 2 = 3
3 Duress .10 x 3 = 30
2 Ghost Quarter .25 x 2 = .5
3 Kataki, War's Wage 4 x 3 = 12
3 Relic of Progenitus 1.50 x 3 = 4.5
15 sideboard cards (Total= 21.3)

Total value of deck: $197.55 (Using TCGPlayer mid prices).

I predict Windbrask Heights will take a hit, as will Sword of Feast and Famine. The deck certainly seems playable.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sword of War and Peace, Body and Mind, Feast and Famine, Fire and Ice, Light and Shadow
Sword of the Meek
Umezawa's Jitte
Swords to Plowshares
Stoneforge Mystic

What else?

Angry Grimace

Sword of War and Peace, Body and Mind, Feast and Famine, Fire and Ice, Light and Shadow
Sword of the Meek
Umezawa's Jitte
Swords to Plowshares
Stoneforge Mystic

What else?

Squadron Hawk

WanderingWind

Sword of Vengeance! Then they could add in new ones, one for each of the shards and individual colors.

...but mostly I just want a set of the good swords.

Karakand

Have Zelyon Sword and Sword of Vengeance in it for a "you've come a long way, baby" flavor.

That event deck seems kind of shitty, can't believe it's 75 bucks.

Angry Grimace

Have Zelyon Sword and Sword of Vengeance in it for a "you've come a long way, baby" flavor.

That event deck seems kind of shitty, can't believe it's 75 bucks.

Events decks are always bad because they're usually not willing to put in enough of the decent cards to make it worth your money. Its always like a singleton of some card that the deck needs four of.

WanderingWind

Yeah, that deck is pretty terrible. They didn't even really stick to a archetype that exists in modern, unless I'm missing the token beatdown deck somewhere. With one PW.

Karakand

Events decks are always bad because they're usually not willing to put in enough of the decent cards to make it worth your money. Its always like a singleton of some card that the deck needs four of.

I like the 2 MODO Legacy event decks but they really dgaf about card values on MODO like they do in paper. (And TBH, the red one might actually be pushing "overpriced" at $30.)

Just expected more given the hype. They promised to reprint this deck as much as needed, right? Doubt it'll need that many reprints... just in terms of manabase it's a pale reflection of the real thing.

f0rk

Reddit is mad at the event deck, but I'm not sure what people were expecting. I'd be much happier playing this, with good 4 ofs, at fnm than some janky 2 ofs and 1 Dark Confidant. A bit disappointing there isn't a Marsh Flats but honestly you're supposed to buy these to play with, not value.

bigkrev

The people who wanted Bitterblossom are ridiculous, as the card was banned through the entirety of the development of the deck, and even if it was on the shortlist of cards to unban, you don't put it in a product like this in case something comes up and you can't unban Blossom. The whole point is that it's supposed to be something you can buy right before a modern event, sleave up with the included sleaves, and have fun playing.

Top Bottom