• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

f0rk

I think the deck has more efficient ways of making 1/1s, the list given would be best improved by a few more big 4 drops like Sorin and Hero of Bladehold.

rCIZZLE

Let me tell you guys something. There are few things in magic more enjoyable than watching your zoo opponent with 3 blood moons get beat down with obstinate baloth while playing scapeshift.

rCIZZLE

My only disappointment with the modern event deck is that there's only one. Would have been nice for a couple different archetypes represented.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SCG has the event decks at MSRP w/ free shipping right now.

I'm honestly surprised at how many people legit thought the deck was going to be stuffed with staples.

The event decks are never actually worth more than MSRP outside of corner cases. Sometimes they are on paper (e.g. Jace v. Vraska, although that's not an Event Deck), but rarely in reality could you profitably use all of the parts.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Either.

-----

Yawgmoth's Win and Necropotence are in Vintage Masters.
2GN3AKe.png

I would be vaguely surprised to not see basically everything on the Restricted List in Vintage Masters - there are only 41 cards on the Restricted List and a lot of them are just staples that need to be printed for Vintage to even exist, yet aren't terribly rare - e.g. Demonic Tutor, Demonic Consultation. The only card I really see them not sticking in the set is Imperial Seal, mostly because it is a functional reprint of Vampiric Tutor.

I don't really see how they could really say it was "playing Vintage" if they didn't have Force of Will in the set.

Angry Grimace

They should have at least included 2 Godless Shrine's instead of the City of Brass. Seems obvious given the 4 isolated chapels.

I think the idea was to print mostly stuff that's not currently in print, though.

kirblar

I'm honestly surprised at how many people legit thought the deck was going to be stuffed with staples.

The event decks are never actually worth more than MSRP outside of corner cases. Sometimes they are on paper (e.g. Jace v. Vraska, although that's not an Event Deck), but rarely in reality could you profitably use all of the parts.
They are stuffed with staples. Just not hyper-rare ones.

JulianImp

I feel like putting any desireable cards into these kinds of product for the sake of competitive players would be the second rising of the infamous Rat's Nest precon, where everyone who'd buy it would only be doing it for gutting the rares. High-level play does need some reprints, though, which is why I was baffled by Modern Masters being both more expensive and having less availability than other sets of its time.

Personally, I'd much rather have a more modest deck that's actually playable (for example, by not running lots of singletons to achieve more redundancy) than one you'd get a couple of cards from and throw the rest into your random chaff pile.

Is MTGO Traders a good place to buy cards on MTGO? I just bought an account yesterday and want to put together a standard deck. I like that you can pay them with PayPal for all the cards you need at once, instead of having to buy tickets and find the bots with the cards you need.

Angry Grimace

Is MTGO Traders a good place to buy cards on MTGO? I just bought an account yesterday and want to put together a standard deck. I like that you can pay them with PayPal for all the cards you need at once, instead of having to buy tickets and find the bots with the cards you need.

If you use the coupon code "mtgsallypaypal" you get an 8% discount. Its a little weird that they ask you to message them from an eBay account or send them a photo ID before delivery though. I think that's because MTGO cards are a fairly good way to launder money, though.

If you use the coupon code "mtgsallypaypal" you get an 8% discount. Its a little weird that they ask you to message them from an eBay account or send them a photo ID before delivery though. I think that's because MTGO cards are a fairly good way to launder money, though.

Marvelous! Is there any way to mass enter a list of cards like on TCGPlayer? I can't seem to find it on the MTGO Traders website.

Ok Grimace, ultimate troll deck time:

Grixis Combo

1 Codex Shredder
1 Quicken
4 Thoughtseize
2 Dakra Mystic
4 Thassa's Ire
4 Springleaf Drum

4 Disciple of Deceit
2 Far // Away
4 Rakdos' Return
2 Brain Maggot

4 Siren of the Silent Song

2 Notion Thief
2 Whispering Madness
2 AEtherize

4 Watery Grave
4 Blood Crypt
4 Steam Vents
4 Mana Confluence
4 Temple of Deceit
2 Temple of Malice

Notion Thief + Whispering Madness / Rakdos' Return to dump your opponent's hand.
Dakra Mystic to make it less likely for your opponent to draw instants.

Springleaf Drum + Siren of the Silent Song + Thassa's Ire to force a discard at your opponent's every draw step.

Disciple of Deceit + Springleaf Drum to assemble the combo.

Karakand

I would be vaguely surprised to not see basically everything on the Restricted List in Vintage Masters - there are only 41 cards on the Restricted List and a lot of them are just staples that need to be printed for Vintage to even exist, yet aren't terribly rare - e.g. Demonic Tutor, Demonic Consultation. The only card I really see them not sticking in the set is Imperial Seal, mostly because it is a functional reprint of Vampiric Tutor.

I don't really see how they could really say it was "playing Vintage" if they didn't have Force of Will in the set.

I don't Cube so I'm excited to try some of this stuff in limited, if I played with these cards it was purely in (what passed for) tuned constructed environments.

Imperial Seal is pretty cheap on MODO already so they could probably do without.

Angry Grimace

I wish Temple of M'lady would stop being an $8 card on MTGO just so people can copy that Monoblack Devotion deck that splashes green for Abrupt Decay.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh god:

MtGO said:
Vintage Masters is a set that will be similar in size to Modern Masters, available only in Magic Online. Vintage Masters will be a non-redeemable set available only in Magic Online in 15-card booster packs. Vintage Masters booster packs will retail for the MSRP of $6.99, and each pack will contain the following:

10 commons
3 uncommons
1 rare or mythic rare
1 premium foil card (any rarity, including the extremely rare premium foil Power Nine card), OR 1 Power Nine card
There will be premium foil versions of all cards in the Vintage Masters set, including the Power Nine!

So there's no guarantee I can get a Black Lotus to hoard play for $6.99 in the digital card game? Really? :|

At least this set will be on sale forever, yeah? :/

So there's no guarantee I can get a Black Lotus to hoard play for $6.99 in the digital card game? Really? :|

They want digital Power to carry some mystique, similarly to the way paper power does.

I'm just glad they're reprinting the dual lands. And I intend to draft this set a lot.

Karakand

They're reprinting Arrogant Wurm and Circular Logic at common in Vintage Masters?
2GN3AKe.png

I can play one of my favorite constructed decks (mostly) in Pauper now?
2GN3AKe.png
2GN3AKe.png

I can play Looter il-Kor in it too?????
2GN3AKe.png
2GN3AKe.png
2GN3AKe.png

Legit best set ever.

bigkrev

Oh god:

Probably only on sale for a month or 2, like Modern Masters. Drafts will return every now and then though.

Most importantly, they spoiled on Twitter that Force of Will (new art) is in at normal rare- that should take the price of the original down (It and Rishardin Port alternate as the most expensive card on MTGO on a daily basis almost)

TheSeks

They want digital Power to carry some mystique, similarly to the way paper power does.

I get that, but I mean prices for the "Power 9" are gonna spike in the digital like they do paper, which is a little insane since there's no "printing"/limited costs.

I'd rather they put the Power 9 up for $20/a card of your choice and let people spend exorbitant amounts of cash to get them all + 4 for deck building. That'd be like... $720 for 4 of each "Power 9" card a pop. NintendoITPRINTSMONEY.jpg and all that while letting my collector itch for the digital version be scratched for $120 total. D:

bigkrev

I get that, but I mean prices for the "Power 9" are gonna spike in the digital like they do paper, which is a little insane since there's no "printing"/limited costs.

I'd rather they put the Power 9 up for $20/a card of your choice and let people spend exorbitant amounts of cash to get them all + 4 for deck building. That'd be like... $720 for 4 of each "Power 9" card a pop. NintendoITPRINTSMONEY.jpg and all that while letting my collector itch for the digital version be scratched for $120 total. D:

They have never sold individual cards before. And they never will.

Probably only on sale for a month or 2, like Modern Masters. Drafts will return every now and then though.

Most importantly, they spoiled on Twitter that Force of Will (new art) is in at normal rare- that should take the price of the original down (It and Rishardin Port alternate as the most expensive card on MTGO on a daily basis almost)

Oh thank goodness. When they spoiled Balance as mythic, I was worried that FoW would be mythic too (although I guess Balance is so obnoxious in limited it makes sense as mythic).

TheSeks

They have never sold individual cards before. And they never will.

I guess the only thing I can do is cry about never getting a lotus by spending $30 or so for boosters for Vintage and pray I get one not get one while watching the trade bots jack the price up to impossible levels while cursing them for having a "card economy" in a digital format.

rCIZZLE

Is there any news on Wasteland yet? I could see legacy getting very popular on modo if it's near modern levels of affordability.

You only need 1 of each since the P9 is restricted in Vintage.

Karakand

9x Forest
9x Island
4x Simic Guildgate

4x Wild Mongrel
4x Aquamoeba
4x Looter il-Kor
3x Arrogant Wurm
4x Basking Rootwalla

4x Circular Logic
4x Mana Leak
4x Artful Dodge
3x Deep Analysis
4x Careful Study

Kinda sux to not have a cheesy win condition like Wonder (or Quiet Speculation) but w/e. I also wonder (heh) if Gush will flow nicely with this... Deep Analysis is a scrubby card. On the other hand, it would make Careful Study much worse without Deep Analysis.

The Adder

Banned
Built a new Black/White Control Enchantment deck. Win con is life loss.

Enchantment Creatures

Athreos, God of Passage x1
Brain Maggot x3
Eidolon of Rhetoric x2
Erebos, God of the Dead x2
Grim Guardian x2
Heliod, God of the Sun x1
Nyx-Fleece Ram x3
Underworld Coinsmith x4

Enchantment Artifacts

Spear of Heliod x2
Whip of Erebos x2

Enchantments

Banishing Light x4
Claim of Erebos x2
Dictate of Erebos x2
One Thousand Lashes x2
Sinister Punishment x2
Sphere of Safety x2
Stab Wound x2

Lands

Plains x11
Temple of Silence x3
Swamp x8

---

The Eidolon is in there to slow down my opponent. Because of all of the activated abilities on my various creatures and artifacts, I can still do stuff with my mana even if I'm not casting. I know I need another Athreos and Heliod, Sinister Punishment goes once I get them. Keeping in mind that the goal is for anything that isn't land to be an enchantment (and therefore buff the sphere and trigger constellation) any other suggestions? (This one isn't just for silly fun, I actually want to win with it).

Angry Grimace

I'm just glad they're reprinting the dual lands. And I intend to draft this set a lot.

This set is going to set me back hundreds of dollars.

Wichu

I want to make a Boros standard deck with Dictate of the Twin Gods. Flash in Dictate when your Boros Reckoner is about to take damage and profit. Or flash it in EOT turn 5 and hit for 12 + 4x however much power you have on board with Aurelia turn 6.

Opinions?

Built a new Black/White Control Enchantment deck. Win con is life loss.

Enchantment Creatures

Athreos, God of Passage x1
Brain Maggot x3
Eidolon of Rhetoric x2
Erebos, God of the Dead x2
Grim Guardian x2
Heliod, God of the Sun x1
Nyx-Fleece Ram x3
Underworld Coinsmith x4

Enchantment Artifacts

Spear of Heliod x2
Whip of Erebos x2

Enchantments

Banishing Light x4
Claim of Erebos x2
Dictate of Erebos x2
One Thousand Lashes x2
Sinister Punishment x2
Sphere of Safety x2
Stab Wound x2

Lands

Plains x11
Temple of Silence x3
Swamp x8

---

The Eidolon is in there to slow down my opponent. Because of all of the activated abilities on my various creatures and artifacts, I can still do stuff with my mana even if I'm not casting. I know I need another Athreos and Heliod, Sinister Punishment goes once I get them. Keeping in mind that the goal is for anything that isn't land to be an enchantment (and therefore buff the sphere and trigger constellation) any other suggestions? (This one isn't just for silly fun, I actually want to win with it).

I saw this deck rip apart control, aggro, and mid range of every kind. Temples, Shocks & Mana Confluence included in the mana base. It may have been tweaked since the guy posted it on tappedout, but this is his base idea.

4x Banishing Light
3x Blind Obedience
4x Ethereal Armor
2x Extinguish All Hope
4x Godless Shrine
3x Grim Guardian
2x Heliod, God of the Sun
4x Mana Confluence
4x Master of the Feast
4x Nyx-Fleece Ram
5x Plains
4x Soul Tithe
4x Sphere of Safety
5x Swamp
4x Temple of Silence
4x Underworld Connections

Sideboard
3x Bile Blight
2x Brain Maggot
3x Celestial Flare
3x Deicide
2x Orzhov Charm
2x Rest in Peace

I saw this deck rip apart control, aggro, and mid range of every kind. Temples, Shocks & Mana Confluence included in the mana base. It may have been tweaked since the guy posted it on tappedout, but this is his base idea.

4x Banishing Light
3x Blind Obedience
4x Ethereal Armor
2x Extinguish All Hope
4x Godless Shrine
3x Grim Guardian
2x Heliod, God of the Sun
4x Mana Confluence
4x Master of the Feast
4x Nyx-Fleece Ram
5x Plains
4x Soul Tithe
4x Sphere of Safety
5x Swamp
4x Temple of Silence
4x Underworld Connections

Sideboard
3x Bile Blight
2x Brain Maggot
3x Celestial Flare
3x Deicide
2x Orzhov Charm
2x Rest in Peace

Mana Confluence has no business in this deck. There aren't even any double-white cards in the whole thing. Just replace them with like 3 swamps and a Plains.

I hate keyword highlighting. I appreciate what it's supposed to do, but it never works right.

I also turn off flavor text and reminder text. Yes, I am a monster.

Top Bottom