• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

I'll see if I can get an updated list for this deck from the guy that created it. I know he's running 4x Underworld Coinsmith, which makes his deck not give any fucks about life total and Confluence perfect for helping him hit 2 black mana by turn 3 more consistently for Master of the Feast.

I think the deck is significantly different now, but it's basically a race to pillow fort.

From the mothership: none of the cards in Vintage Masters are modern-legal. That ought to give a really good idea of what to expect from the set.

EDIT: We haven't seen this Conspiracy card yet, have we?

hz79yq3dc1_ct.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why is the font/layout so ugly, to make it clearer that these aren't tournament legal?

whoo, won both drafts tonight 12-2 in games. finally getting a feel on the new format. no money cards though :(

traded some of my prize packs for a m'lady though, so close enough I guess

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";111893980]whoo, won both drafts tonight 12-2 in games. finally getting a feel on the new format. no money cards though :(

traded some of my prize packs for a m'lady though, so close enough I guess[/QUOTE]

Is it just me, or is the removal in pack one insane compared to the rest of the set?

Hero

It's embarrassing how terrible MTGO is in pretty much every aspect. Not sure what the fuck WotC is thinking. So much potential to be had for players and so much money to be had for them and they treat it like garbage.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";111899347]Removal? You mean combat tricks?[/QUOTE]

White gets Banishing Light at uncommon and Oppressive Rays at common, plus Akroan Mastiff (kinda like removal) and Armament of Nyx (unreliable, but it'll do in a pinch). Black gets Cast Into Darkness (this has been way better than I expected), Feast of Dreams, Nightmarish End, Nyx Infusion (again, somewhat unreliable), and Spiteful Blow (essentially replacing the Sip of Hemlock you would get from Theros). Blue has Hubris and Pin to the Earth (shockingly good), plus Thassa's Ire as a high-cost yet powerful spell. Red is on the short end of the stick, but Magma Spray is good and the Born of the Gods pack will make up for it. Green of course is not allowed to kill its opponent's creatures; losing a pack of Time to Feed actually does suck - a lot.

And every color gets access to Deserter's Quarters at uncommon (if Sip of Hemlock was playable, this is as well - in the right kinds of decks).

Where should I be buying my tickets for MTGO? Does any website sell tickets? I just made an account and would like to know if there are ways to get tickets cheaper from third parties.

Where should I be buying my tickets for MTGO? Does any website sell tickets? I just made an account and would like to know if there are ways to get tickets cheaper from third parties.

In general, no. There isn't a way to get tickets cheaper. That's the one part of the economy that stays stable. This is out of necessity; if the value of a ticket can fluctuate, then the economy crashes because the ticket is no longer a currency you can trust in.

In general, no. There isn't a way to get tickets cheaper. That's the one part of the economy that stays stable. This is out of necessity; if the value of a ticket can fluctuate, then the economy crashes because the ticket is no longer a currency you can trust in.

So in that sense the tickets are the only thing that is advised for one to buy from the MTGO store?

So in that sense the tickets are the only thing that is advised for one to buy from the MTGO store?

Yep! Even with tax it generally comes out to be the same as buying them from a vendor (unless you live in an area with a particularly high tax rate). Vendors charge a markup over $1 per ticket, which is intended to make them cost about the same as $1 plus tax (again, keeping the economy sane).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Speaking of which, I realize I bought into MODO pretty damn hard before I moved, now I can't play it much at all. I really need to sell my mutavaults and the dozens of other high value things I have.

Anybody know a good bot for that?

WanderingWind

Are you wanting to just sell out entirely? MTGOtraders.com will give you an offer for your entire collection:

http://www.mtgotraders.com/buylist/

Oh, nice thanks.

I don't want to, honestly, but logically I either have to resign to playing only online - which I just did for the first time yesterday in like, 6 months, or I need to not buy paper. I have the dilemma because history has taught me that selling cards is generally a losing proposition, because you just never know what's going to find a home and spike in price (Fetchlands when I came back to the game, etc). But, if I'm not playing with the things, it's literally me throwing money away.

WanderingWind

Big daddy Jace is in Vintage Masters as well. This set is looking to be pretty sweet...

I just looked him up on MTGO traders. 26 bucks? I have a playset thanks to the FtV: 20 being actually buyable online and I imagine he's only going to get cheaper. I'm looking forward to being able to play with him in some format or another.

ultron87

It makes me sad that we'll probably never get a set as packed full of value in paper. Unless they just go crazy with Modern Masters 2 and also don't make it a limited print run.

bigkrev

It makes me sad that we'll probably never get a set as packed full of value in paper. Unless they just go crazy with Modern Masters 2 and don't make it a limited print run.

Marshall Sutcliff once talked about this time where he asked someone (I think it was Tristan Shaun Gregson?) how much he would charge someone to blind draw a card from his powered cube and keep it, the cube owner threw out "25 dollars", and Marshall slammed a 50 dollar bill on the table. All I remember was that one of the 2 cards was an Evolving Wilds.

That is the only kind of booster high I could ever accept anymore

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Also, lol @ the ending of the stupid Journey into Nyx book.

Elspeth dies, Heliod kills her.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I'm not even sure if anyone cares about the spoiler, to be honest.

Because he's a dick I guess. Basically, he's mad that Xenagos got to be a God, so she goes and kills him, and then Heliod catches up to Elspeth and kills her even though she killed Xenagos. For some reason.

Its the plot of Magic cards. It doesn't make sense.

Angry Grimace

I refuse to recognize that as canon until MaRo says it is. Or somebody in charge of that sort of thing.

My guess is that she's fake dead. I don't think they're going to permanently kill Elspeth. I mean, somehow this jiggery-pokery results in her dead lover coming back to life, also. yeah, I don't know.

Angry Grimace

Note: you tend to win in limited when you get a Prophetic Flamespeaker to 8/7

rCIZZLE

Got a challenge for some of you guys. I need the absolute best anti-burn, modern legal sideboard card for my scapeshift list. I've been running into, on average, 1 burn deck per daily on mtgo and I want a sb option that if draw just completely shuts them down. Even if it's completely, 100% dead against every matchup but burn, I still would make room for it since that matchup is that bad and that common.

Must fit RUG colors and reasonably castable by turn 4-5. Skullcrack is a thing so the cheaper the better to leave room for cheap counters like Izzet Charm.

edit: can't be equipment either since I run very few creatures and none of them survive lightning bolt.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Got a challenge for some of you guys. I need the absolute best anti-burn, modern legal sideboard card for my scapeshift list. I've been running into, on average, 1 burn deck per daily on mtgo and I want a sb option that if draw just completely shuts them down. Even if it's completely, 100% dead against every matchup but burn, I still would make room for it since that matchup is that bad and that common.

Must fit RUG colors and reasonably castable by turn 4-5. Skullcrack is a thing so the cheaper the better to leave room for cheap counters like Izzet Charm.

edit: can't be equipment either since I run very few creatures and none of them survive lightning bolt.

Spellskite?

rCIZZLE

Both are decent against burn but I'm looking to go real deep. The spell just needs to delay them several turns. Something like Heroes' Reunion (WG Gain 7 Life) but in RUG colors. Wish Leyline of Sanctity wouldn't be a completely dead card unless it was in my opening hand.

Right now I'm running 3 Obstinate Baloths (for multiple matchups) and a Primal Command (mostly just for burn) but 5 mana sorcery is a lot and usually leaves no room for counters.

bigkrev

Both are decent against burn but I'm looking to go real deep. The spell just needs to delay them several turns. Something like Heroes' Reunion (WG Gain 7 Life) but in RUG colors. Wish Leyline of Sanctity wouldn't be a completely dead card unless it was in my opening hand.

Nourish?

rCIZZLE

Totally forgot about Witchbane Orb. It's a little slow but I'll usually have 4 mana on Turn 3 so it should gain me more life than most other cards due to blanking half or more of their deck. I'll give the others a try too but this might be exactly what I'm looking for. It even works in other matchups like storm too.

Completely forgot about Nourish too. Never thought this is a card I'd consider putting in my 75 in an eternal format.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Totally forgot about Witchbane Orb. It's a little slow but I'll usually have 4 mana on Turn 3 so it should gain me more life than most other cards due to blanking half or more of their deck. I'll give the others a try too but this might be exactly what I'm looking for. It even works in other matchups like storm too.

Completely forgot about Nourish too. Never thought this is a card I'd consider putting in my 75 in an eternal format.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Pros of Witchbane Orb: You can cast it naturally.
Cons of Witchbane Orb: Just as much of a dead draw after a certain turn. Shouldn't you have stabilized by then and be in control of your own fate? How much value are you getting there?

So Witchbane Orb is only better than Leyline of Sanctity if you happened to draw sometime between your first draw step and the turn at which being hexproof is no longer relevant. Is the upside of that situation actually better than the upside of having hexproof turn zero for no mana? Or are you overreacting to the feel-bad of drawing an uncastable card?

To put it another way: let's look at the first 14 cards on the top of my deck.

Code:
TURN 0  0  0  0  0  0  0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7
CARD 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14
    [   Leyline Better  ][    Orb Better     ]

So Witchbane Orb is only better than Leyline of Sanctity if you think that becoming hexproof is still relevant on turns 7+. I'm not worried about you hitting the requisite land drops because your deck does that quite well. I'm just considering when the card hits your hand, and when you've stabilized against the burn deck. I have to imagine that by turn 7 you're either dead or you're winning, so putting four Leylines in your deck is going to have higher upside than four Orbs.

EDIT: And yes, I realize that Orb isn't dead in my opening 7, while Leyline is after that point. But the burn deck specifically comes out of the gate so fast that those first three turns (on the draw) might be quite relevant.

Angry Grimace

If I manage to lose this draft with 2 Bassara Tower Archers, Ajani, a Courser of Kruphix and a bunch of eagles, I probably am the worst.

rCIZZLE

Pros of Witchbane Orb: You can cast it naturally.
Cons of Witchbane Orb: Just as much of a dead draw after a certain turn. Shouldn't you have stabilized by then and be in control of your own fate? How much value are you getting there?

So Witchbane Orb is only better than Leyline of Sanctity if you happened to draw sometime between your first draw step and the turn at which being hexproof is no longer relevant. Is the upside of that situation actually better than the upside of having hexproof turn zero for no mana? Or are you overreacting to the feel-bad of drawing an uncastable card?

To put it another way: let's look at the first 14 cards on the top of my deck.

Code:
TURN 0  0  0  0  0  0  0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7
CARD 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14
    [   Leyline Better  ][    Orb Better     ]

So Witchbane Orb is only better than Leyline of Sanctity if you think that becoming hexproof is still relevant on turns 7+. I'm not worried about you hitting the requisite land drops because your deck does that quite well. I'm just considering when the card hits your hand, and when you've stabilized against the burn deck. I have to imagine that by turn 7 you're either dead or you're winning, so putting four Leylines in your deck is going to have higher upside than four Orbs.

EDIT: And yes, I realize that Orb isn't dead in my opening 7, while Leyline is after that point. But the burn deck specifically comes out of the gate so fast that those first three turns (on the draw) might be quite relevant.

You never really stabilize against Burn since there's only so many Cryptics and that's the only hard counter I run. Against burn, becoming hexproof is always relevant as long as I'm alive. Of course I can still win even if none of my sb hate is drawn but that's pretty rare and requires either a broken draw from me or them to stumble hard. I'd treat it the same as an extra Obstinate Baloth that attacks them from a different angle.

Taking into account the anti-lifegain cards they run, Orb actually seems on par with Baloth if not a little better. If the burn player holds up 2 mana soon as I reach 4 mana then a Skullcrack in response to Baloth is a disaster. If instead I play an Orb then they're punished for holding onto any Lava Spikes or other spells they could have cast but figured were just as good firing off in succession on their kill turn.

If I manage to lose this draft with 2 Bassara Tower Archers, Ajani, a Courser of Kruphix and a bunch of eagles, I probably am the worst.

Base green splash white is kinda mediocre. What eagles did you get, Eagles of the Watch? The pump dude with the green activator? Your deck might have just been slow and the better you get at Theros block draft the more you realize it's super fast paced.

I was thinking about doing another set draft review like I did in BNG. Maybe I will to help you guys out.

By the way, Riptide Chimera is the best creature in JOU draft. So dumb.

Karakand

As someone who dabbles in Burn in Legacy when I'm burned (heh) out on my main deck, there have been times where I'd wished I'd done something embarrassing like sleeve up Anarchies just because of Leyline of Sanctity.

Here's the deck I won the second draft with yesterday for a good reference on my picks(I only slept for two hours yesterday so the first deck is kind of a haze other than being base white with a very light G/R splash):

UW Flight

• Creatures(13):
1x Flitterstep Eidolon

1x Nimbus Naiad
1x Triton Fortune Hunter
1x Elite Skirmisher
1x Nyxborn Triton
1x Archetype of Courage
1x Riptide Chimera
2x War-Wing Siren

1x Cloaked Siren
1x Heliod's Emissary
1x Chorus of the Tides
1x Leoninn Iconoclast

• Spells(10):
1x Mortal Obstinacy
1x Retraction Helix
1x Triton Tactics
1x God's Willing

1x Last Breath

3x Armament of Nyx

1x Griptide
1x Divine Verdict

• Land(17)
10 Island
7 Plains

• Sideboard
1x Siren of the Fanged Coast

As you can see, I have a relatively low mana curve that basically caps at 4, and my threat base is a collection of super efficient and evasive three-drops. I would have liked 1 more playable creature, but I tried to live the dream and picked a Bearer of the Heavens to go with a Riddle of Lightning I picked up over an Eagle of the Watch.

Game 1: Guy that complained about having to play me before the draft even started. GW midrange player with Elspeth, Nessian Asp and Space Sheep. Ran over 2-0.
Game 2: Red player with the goddamn devil Hammer of Purphoros. Won first game, lost second to hammer, Played an early Mortal Obstinacy to ensure he couldn't play it in game 3 and won 2-1.
Game 3: RW aggro player with Hall of Triumph and Channel Fireball sleeves. Sided out Last Breath for Siren of the Fanged Coast and won the race 2-1.

Top Bottom