• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I feel like a lot of groups will do one draft of this set and that's it. It will probably still sell decently due to reprints and for people with cubes to get conspiracies and stuff.

Will definitely sell better than the "Un-" sets, even after accounting for the growth of the player base.

Watch them stick Force of Will in the set and then everyone sells the set out :lol

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I need some GAF buddies on MTGO. PM me for my MTGO name. :)

My decks are mostly janky budget builds.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I always find it funny when I lose a draft to a ridiculous bomb that there's no real way to answer, like someone gets King Macar and Thassa's Ire out at the same time. Mostly because that kind of thing seems to happen to me an awful lot.
KuGsj.gif

I should really be saving my money and tix for Vintage Masters.

bigkrev

I think they really missed the mark on the set. I don't think the Venn Diagram of "People who like to draft" (ie, the spikest of spikes) and "People who like multiplayer" really overlap.

ultron87

I know plenty of casual players that like to draft. They like opening packs and like that in a draft there is no material advantage for a player that has spent a ton of money.

The big problem I see for Conspiracy saleswise is that individual packs aren't as desirable since you can't use the cards in Standard and contain cards that are effectively only for draft (though those are in place of the usual basic land slot). But if they pack it full of enough cool reprints it might get over that problem.

kirblar

I know plenty of casual players that like to draft. They like opening packs and like that in a draft there is no material advantage for a player that has spent a ton of money.

The big problem I see for Conspiracy saleswise is that individual packs aren't as desirable since you can't use the cards in Standard and contain cards that are effectively only for draft (though those are in place of the usual basic land slot). But if they pack it full of enough cool reprints it might get over that problem.
Do they want to pay for drafts though? Draft is inherently a super-spiky format.

I think they really missed the mark on the set. I don't think the Venn Diagram of "People who like to draft" (ie, the spikest of spikes) and "People who like multiplayer" really overlap.

Maro has said the average player lifespan is around 9 years. I'm sure there's a sizable number of people toward the end of their playing lifespan that cut their teeth on competitive play and transitioned to kitchen table Magic as they got older and their lives changed.

MjFrancis

My local game store is home to a casual audience who love to draft. That's pretty much all they do. The hype for Conspiracy is pretty large. I just wish the owner realized that this isn't a limited print run - since he was only able to secure three cases he's under the impression that it's not. He won't sell anything until he knows he can get more, so all of it has been allocated to in-house drafting.

Firemind

I think even casual players will shun it because it has cards that don't do anything unless you happen to have a cube. It's like Planechase, but instead of having its own distinct set of rules, Conspiracy works like normal drafting, but in a multiplayer environment.

f0rk

I think even casual players will shun it because it has cards that don't do anything unless you happen to have a cube. It's like Planechase, but instead of having its own distinct set of rules, Conspiracy works like normal drafting, but in a multiplayer environment.

Casual players favorite format is EDH though, which this does plenty for. Most of the less competitive players at my LGS play EDH before FNM and then draft.

Firemind

Casual players favorite format is EDH though, which this does plenty for. Most of the less competitive players at my LGS play EDH before FNM and then draft.

Wait, Conspiracy type cards are going to be legal in EDH? Uh... guess that's one way to make EDH unfun.

Firemind

I don't remember planes from Planechase are legal in EDH.

Either way, it defeats the purpose of a 99-singleton deck. By jamming the deck with Conspiracy cards, you effectively make the deck less random and thus kind of ruin the format. It should be symmetrical for all players, not assymetrical.

Jaeyden

Definitely just a house rules thing for conspiracies in EDH. It's like maybe you start the game with a pile of 12 and every one (assuming it's a 4 player game) draws three of them or something. My group is excited for the reprints and new Legends.

Angry Grimace

The more I think about "special" rarity the more it makes my blood boil. Especially given that they lied and claimed it was due to warping the (made up) format.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Definitely just a house rules thing for conspiracies in EDH. It's like maybe you start the game with a pile of 12 and every one (assuming it's a 4 player game) draws three of them or something. My group is excited for the reprints and new Legends.

This is probably what my group will end up doing

Angry Grimace

A dude on SA went ahead and read the crappy MTG story book so you don't have to. Here's the 10 sentence summary:

Elspeth and Daxos are just beginning a relationship.
They get word that they need to go to Akros to fight the minotaur horde.
Xenagos engineers a great victory for the human soldiers, having dictated both sides' battle plans thanks to his mind control.
The celebrations in the wake of the victory charge up Xenagos enough that he ascends.
He caused Elspeth to kill Daxos just after they've fucked, and made her look basically at fault for Xenagos' apotheosis, so now the gods are wrecking humanity's shit.
Elspeth meets Ajani and they go on a JOURNEY INTO NYX to kill Xenagos.
Elspeth makes a deal with Erebos to bring back Daxos.
Elspeth and Ajani kill Xenagos.
Heliod kills Elspeth, partly because she seems like Xenagos and that freaks him out, partly to make sure she exchanges her life for Daxos'.
And Erebos was a dick and only revived Daxos as a mindless Returned anyway.

I'm actually really glad to see that the conspiracies and draft constructs are taking up the basic land slot in the packs. If you're not going to do something special with the basics (i.e., full art) in these supplemental draft products, omitting them entirely for something more interesting is absolutely the way to go. And it guarantees that every pack has something crazy in it.

Exokell

Banned
A dude on SA went ahead and read the crappy MTG story book so you don't have to. Here's the 10 sentence summary:

Elspeth and Daxos are just beginning a relationship.
They get word that they need to go to Akros to fight the minotaur horde.
Xenagos engineers a great victory for the human soldiers, having dictated both sides' battle plans thanks to his mind control.
The celebrations in the wake of the victory charge up Xenagos enough that he ascends.
He caused Elspeth to kill Daxos just after they've fucked, and made her look basically at fault for Xenagos' apotheosis, so now the gods are wrecking humanity's shit.
Elspeth meets Ajani and they go on a JOURNEY INTO NYX to kill Xenagos.
Elspeth makes a deal with Erebos to bring back Daxos.
Elspeth and Ajani kill Xenagos.
Heliod kills Elspeth, partly because she seems like Xenagos and that freaks him out, partly to make sure she exchanges her life for Daxos'.
And Erebos was a dick and only revived Daxos as a mindless Returned anyway.
thats a really lame and tired love story

Angry Grimace

thats a really lame and tired love story

Well, at least Elspeth got laid before she bit it. Which apparently pissed Nylea off also, because inexplicably Nylea is also in love with Elspeth's boyfriend but couldn't get his attention despite being a deity.

ultron87

Do they want to pay for drafts though? Draft is inherently a super-spiky format.

In my experience they totally are. Draft is the one format where you can show up at the game shop and play without any sort of preparation or deck building before hand. Even though drafting well is probably the hardest thing to do in Magic it doesn't seem like that when you're just having fun and passing packs around. There are a large number of players at the stores I go to that never play a constructed event but are always up for a draft.

Well, at least Elspeth got laid before she bit it. Which apparently pissed Nylea off also, because inexplicably Nylea is also in love with Elspeth's boyfriend but couldn't get his attention despite being a deity.

I like Magic much better when the cards are set dressing for a world in conflict, not when there is a specific storyline associated with the individual characters. The general storyline of "Planeswalker ascends to being a god" is fine, but then "other planeswalker falls tragically in love with a human and there is an epic quest ending in heartbreak and death..." Just shoot me now.

Angry Grimace

I like Magic much better when the cards are set dressing for a world in conflict, not when there is a specific storyline associated with the individual characters. The general storyline of "Planeswalker ascends to being a god" is fine, but then "other planeswalker falls tragically in love with a human and there is an epic quest ending in heartbreak and death..." Just shoot me now.

It makes no real difference to the actual game, so I guess it just doesn't bother me. Its all pretty bad fanfiction though.

Lucario

Why are Screaming Seahawk and Howling Wolf both in conspiracy? Because they want people to pick up more than four copies?

Seems like a waste of common slots. Lots of really questionable choices for a draft-oriented format, and the power level is all over the place, with plenty of unplayable commons and bomb rares. I'm actually kind of worried that Conspiracy won't be fun to draft more than 2-3 times.

WoTC needs to fire the people who keep filling supplementary products with pet cards, especially the 'flavorful' ones that aren't even slightly playable. They fucked the last couple duel decks pretty bad.

Lucario

Because they work well with Hidden Agenda. WOuldn't be surprised if we see Squadron Hawks as well.

... But they have extremely weak synergy with all of the Hidden Agenda cards spoiled so far, and it's not like you'll get the full playset every time. Squadron Hawk would be fine, but who wants to pick up bad cards just so they can ramp starting on turn 5-6? Who cares if your five mana 2/2s have haste, especially in multiplayer?

Even if there was more powerful synergy there, I really don't like it. Including cards at common explicitly because they have synergy with uncommons -- uncommons that are rarer than normal, as they only show up in the land slot -- is very questionable design.

edit: Whoops, those conspiracies are commons. Still seems like a weak synergy, but at least it's possible.

edit 2: Nah, I'm wrong, Brago's Favor and Muzzio's Preparations are pretty strong. I still don't like the idea, especially because of the variance involved (whoops, I got two seahawks + three Hidden Agendas in the first two packs, but didn't see any Seahawks in the third!), but I can see why they did it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How are you supposed to... secretly name a card, then reveal it?

I guess you'd need a pen and paper?

Lucario

Well, this card is nuts.

um97vY0q54_EN.jpg

Guarantee that you can play the sweet rare you open in pack three? Sure!

holy shit, that art.

'i dno man. fire just happens sometimes!'

edit;

kXFCqyqgyk_EN.jpg

This set has an..... uncomfortable amount of memory issues. Pen & paper for each Hidden Agenda and now this bullshit.

...and it does nothing outside of conspiracy/cube drafting.

Definitely the worst design in quite a few years.

kXFCqyqgyk_EN.jpg

This set has an..... uncomfortable amount of memory issues. Pen & paper for each Hidden Agenda and now this bullshit.

...and it does nothing outside of conspiracy/cube drafting.

Definitely the worst design in quite a few years.

It's rare at least. That'll reduce it's exposure. But yeah, the amount of bookkeeping seems pretty high.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
More like "We're introducing digital mechanics to an analog game".

Unnecessary and miserable bookkeeping =\= secrecy.

This isn't even a card you can put a piece of paper on when it hits the board -- you have to carry that piece of paper all night. If you have multiple cards with similar memory issues, you're going to have to find a way to distinguish between them.

It's shitty design no matter how you look at it.

Yep. Sleeves help (you can sleeve a piece of paper up with the card), and with cards like that rare land everybody saw you draft it, so the colors it taps for are public information and you can just write it down on your life pad or something. But I agree - it's a lot of bookkeeping for little value.

In theory, I like the idea of the land. It's designed to create a situation where you and your neighbors loudly proclaim what colors you're going to be drafting and play games with pick orders. Which is clever, but probably not worth it.

EDIT: Okay, now here's the card you've been waiting for:

8UNpf.jpg

Lucario

EDIT: Okay, now here's the card you've been waiting for:

8UNpf.jpg

alright i'm back to wanting two boxes of this set

In theory, I like the idea of the land. It's designed to create a situation where you and your neighbors loudly proclaim what colors you're going to be drafting and play games with pick orders. Which is clever, but probably not worth it.

I like that idea too. Having your opponents decide what your card does is pretty great design space, and there are more ways to implement it than the punisher mechanic.

... just, not like this.

Lucario

Seems like it would have to be one hell of a pack to want to use this ability.

You won't use it too often, but just imagine how great it'll feel when you do.

Putting an entire pack in your draft pool one by one is exactly the kind of craziness I expected from this set.

I can't count the number of times I've been cube drafting, passed multiple packs that had little to no cards in my colors only to be passed one that has half a dozen on-color playables.

It's really strong in cube where colors are often really unbalanced from pack to pack. Too bad you're left with a colorless piker, which isn't really playable.

Top Bottom