• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Lucario

it's going to be one of the strongest cards in my cube
because I suck at shuffling

edit:

All of the cards with memory issues should have the potential options clearly represented in the text box. They should also all be foil -- with their own special writable/erasable foil layer (I'm sure it's possible) -- and boxes of conspiracy should come with erasable markers.

That way, people who don't care too much about cards that are useless after the draft will be able to clearly mark what their cards do.

People who don't want to risk smudging the card could place counters on top of the options chosen.

Right now I like the Agent of Acquisitions and the Cogwork Librarian for my peasant cube, and the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that putting Conspiracies in the cube would be a big mistake.

Lucario

I make way too many gimmick cubes to not use conspiracies in at least one.

Worldknit is getting a trial into my crap rare & EDH cubes, as is Backup Plan. Power play is a strong consideration for the latter, not so much the former (the power level is low enough that it's almost always correct to go second.)

A normal cube? None of them seem to fit, but I'm still probably going to try.

Yeah, I will likely keep my conspiracies around for my cube for random "Hey let's get drunk and play with conspiracies" kind of nights but they won't likely be used very often.

rCIZZLE

Did that UR Delver modern deck win something lately that I'm unaware of? Just ran into 4 of them in a row in dailies on modo which is strange unless the deck is either burn or winning tournaments.

Crocodile

Speaking of insane cards...

Yeah this card has to be nuts right (for Cube)? When has Red gotten an engine card like this? Converting life into ANYTHING has always been super dangerous. Freely exchanging life for mana, even at 3 life a pop, seems like a huge deal and with Dethrone this creature is actually a respectable attacker.

I can't count the number of times I've been cube drafting, passed multiple packs that had little to no cards in my colors only to be passed one that has half a dozen on-color playables.

I've had that experience more than enough times during regular booster drafts let alone Cubes. Agent of Acquisitions is sick :)

f0rk

Pretty much this. It's also pretty fun to play, and people really want to play a traditional tempo deck in modern.

It's around ~5% of the meta last I checked. I'd be very confused if I saw four in a row.
Hope it's popular during PTQ season, I think it's a great match up for Zoo

bigkrev

One of the DOTP promos has leaked

Without an understanding of German, I assume its just a generic green fatty mythic, but "ZENDIKAR" in the title- either we are getting Landfall as the returning mechanic, Fetchlands are in, or both

ultron87

The planes shown on cards don't necessarily line up with the mechanics in a Core Set. M13 had "big dude of Grixis" but didn't have Unearth.

OnPoint

Without an understanding of German, I assume its just a generic green fatty mythic, but "ZENDIKAR" in the title- either we are getting Landfall as the returning mechanic, Fetchlands are in, or both

Seele Von Zendikar sounds like some kind of German count.

Anyone have a translation?

Jaeyden

My guess - 6/6 Trample

3GG Put a 3/3 green beast into play

3GG Exile this dude from your grave yard - put a 3/3 green beast into play

Yeah this card has to be nuts right (for Cube)? When has Red gotten an engine card like this? Converting life into ANYTHING has always been super dangerous. Freely exchanging life for mana, even at 3 life a pop, seems like a huge deal and with Dethrone this creature is actually a respectable attacker.

It's a delightfully amusing way to Dethrone yourself, which considering it's uncommon should happen pretty regularly in Conspiracy limited. That's it's a dumb engine card is just a bonus.

Firemind

Dethrone ability is likely not going to do anything relevant (a 3/4 vanilla for four isn't too impressive) unless you use it in tandem with the mana ability, but most R/x cube decks curve out at five so... 10-15th pick at best I reckon.

y2dvd

I can see all sorts of arguments to come when drafting Conspiracy at the lgs. Sadly, players messes up on regular drafts and by the end, someone's short a card or have an extra one. I will probably stick to drafting Conspiracy with just friends.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Can you imagine how absurd super standard would be with fetches, temples and shocks at the same time?

Lucario

I think I might be prepared to eat crow about the new frame. I don't hate the way that border looks on green cards.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I assume the reason it doesn't come all the way to the bottom of the frame is to make it have the same frame as Planeswalkers already have.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I assume the reason it doesn't come all the way to the bottom of the frame is to make it have the same frame as Planeswalkers already have.

I believe it's also to accommodate machine readable text on the bottom of the cards.

EDIT:

English version of Soul of Zendikar:

soulofzendikar.jpg

ultron87

So I'm really confused about something....are these "command zone" cards legal in commander?

Nah. They just use the Command Zone for stuff that generally shouldn't be able to affected by cards in the game. That is where Emblems from Planeswalkers end up as well. Wasn't the effort to define a "Conspiracy Zone" or anything like that.

If you wanna use them in Commander it'd have to be a House Rule thing.

Nah. They just use the Command Zone for stuff that generally shouldn't be able to affected by cards in the game. That is where Emblems from Planeswalkers end up as well. Wasn't the effort to define a "Conspiracy Zone" or anything like that.

If you wanna use them in Commander it'd have to be a House Rule thing.

Okay thanks. That would change the entire landscape of commander and make it another game, so I'm happy about that.

Angry Grimace

I believe it's also to accommodate machine readable text on the bottom of the cards.

EDIT:

English version of Soul of Zendikar:

soulofzendikar.jpg

I don't think that would make a difference. They could have brought the black part up to the bottom of the text box to make it look better and still kept the text readable.

Soul of Zendikar is a bulk Mythic, I think. Its way worse than Kalonian Hydra, which I assume its replacing.

Angry Grimace

I can dream. Hell, if it's reprinted I'd play standard for a bit to join in with the mono black fun.

Liliana of the Veil in standard would be totally standard breaking for about 2 months until most of the cards propping up MBD rotate out.

That said, that doesn't actually mean its impossible - the sets are planned too far in advance to remove the card if it really was going to be there just because it would make MBD too powerful.

I can dream. Hell, if it's reprinted I'd play standard for a bit to join in with the mono black fun.

I actually have a MBD deck on MTGO, since my Orzhov deck has almost all of those cards in it. I just don't play it because everyone and their mom plays the deck.

OnPoint

I don't think that would make a difference. They could have brought the black part up to the bottom of the text box to make it look better and still kept the text readable.

Soul of Zendikar is a bulk Mythic, I think. Its way worse than Kalonian Hydra, which I assume its replacing.

He's definitely not good. But not every mythic can be Archangel of Thune.

Angry Grimace

He's definitely not good. But not every mythic can be Archangel of Thune.

At the very least a Mythic should be a limited bomb. He should have trample and the tokens should have reach.

f0rk

I wonder if they'll go 3 for 3 on good 5 drop haste dragons in core sets.

At the very least a Mythic should be a limited bomb. He should have trample and the tokens should have reach.

I can't tell if you are serious or not. He is a good limited bomb, it would be hard to lose untapping with him.

Angry Grimace

I wonder if they'll go 3 for 3 on good 5 drop haste dragons in core sets.

I can't tell if you are serious or not. He is a good limited bomb, it would be hard to lose untapping with him.

I'm not saying I wouldn't P1P1 the card, but its relatively easy to chump block a 6/6 without trample and the tokens cost so much you can barely do anything else other than cast them. Not to mention reach's relevance requires you to keep him untapped.

Perhaps I'm not as easily impressed as I should be, though.

f0rk

Stormbreath was in Theros? Or are you referring to something besides Thundermaw -> Stormbreath?

oh yeah :/ I guess we won't then cos 2 of them in standard at the same time would be too good.

I'm not saying I wouldn't P1P1 the card, but its relatively easy to chump block a 6/6 without trample and the tokens cost so much you can barely do anything else other than cast them. Not to mention reach's relevance requires you to keep him untapped.

Perhaps I'm not as easily impressed as I should be, though.
While he's on board you will always have something to do with your mana regardless of draws. Either you are attacking and getting chumped then making a 3/3 which is fine, or you're the board is stalled in which case and you're almost definitely building a better position than them.

Angry Grimace

I also find it weird that Yawgmoth's Bargain is mythic, but Necropotence is rare. I would have figured they were both mythic.

Brainstorm is on the Vintage restricted list too; I wouldn't necessarily expect that list would inform rarity decisions. I think the difference is their power levels in limited environments. The fact that Necro doesn't give you the cards right away is a not-insignificant downside when you're playing in a format where you can't really construct your deck to abuse these effects.

Karakand

In my experience, Necro required a certain style of play to maximize that's more difficult to replicate in a limited environment.

Also Bargain has never been reprinted AFAIK, that might have influenced the rarity decisions.

Top Bottom