• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

Doesn't look like reddit noticed. I'm preordering as many as I can get my hands on if it starts cheap.

Hype.

edit: I'm gonna set up an ebay alert. Looks like a lot of people still think it's symmetrical, or don't realize it hits hexproof/shrouded/protection creatures.
This is the Deathrite Shaman rule. If it has a lot of text, it will be badly undervalued at first.

f0rk

This seems good?

indulgenttormentor1.jpg

Maybe if he was bigger than a 3/3. I'd rather play Bloodline Keeper for example.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maybe if he was bigger than a 3/3. I'd rather play Bloodline Keeper for example.

That's what I was thinking. I was wondering whether he'd fit in a standard deck like the Orzhov midrange I'm running, but I feel like he's just not big enough. But maybe I'm underestimating that ping and card draw.

Lucario

People are doing a run on MTGO Wastelands. Spiked $30 overnight thanks to the vintage masters reveal.

If you can still find them at the old price, move fast, because I'm guessing we haven't hit the ceiling yet.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People are doing a run on MTGO Wastelands. Spiked $30 overnight thanks to the vintage masters reveal.

If you can still find them at the old price, move fast, because I'm guessing we haven't hit the ceiling yet.

I honestly think its a terrible idea to buy in. If more Wastelands need to be added, they just re-enable Tempest drafting and/or put Wasteland in the Legacy precons (since its just a freakin' uncommon).

Lucario

I honestly think its a terrible idea to buy in. If more Wastelands need to be added, they just re-enable Tempest drafting and/or put Wasteland in the Legacy precons (since its just a freakin' uncommon).

I'm talking about short-term, or for people who want to take advantage of the new legacy audience from Vintage Masters.

Longterm, yes, I agree.

I might try to do a few spec buys. I'm probably late, but are there any pricey vintage/legacy tournament staples missing from Vintage Masters, other than the following?:

Fetchlands
Wasteland
Show & Tell
Tangle Wire
Gaea's Cradle
Intuition
Sneak Attack
Lodestone Golem

Daze
Pyroblast
Red Elemental Blast
Survival of the Fittest

Scored a Splinter Twin for $10 and a Kiki for $10

Friend bought me two foil Ponder and full art Cryptic Command for my birthday. What a nice guy.

Angry Grimace

I'm talking about short-term, or for people who want to take advantage of the new legacy audience from Vintage Masters.

Longterm, yes, I agree.

I might try to do a few spec buys. I'm probably late, but are there any pricey vintage/legacy tournament staples missing from Vintage Masters, other than the following?:

Fetchlands
Wasteland
Show & Tell
Tangle Wire
Gaea's Cradle
Intuition
Sneak Attack
Lodestone Golem

Daze
Pyroblast
Red Elemental Blast
Survival of the Fittest

Rishadan Port.

I'm not surprised they didn't include Elemental Blasts in Vintage Masters, though. They hose the enemy color way too much to be legit in limited.

Lucario

Rishadan Port.

I'm not surprised they didn't include Elemental Blasts in Vintage Masters, though. They hose the enemy color way too much to be legit in limited.

Nice, can't believe I forgot that one, thanks.

And yeah, I agree about the elemental blasts. They'd have to be rare to prevent drafts from being miserable, and nobody wants to open that shit at rare.

Angry Grimace

Nice, can't believe I forgot that one, thanks.

And yeah, I agree about the elemental blasts. They'd have to be rare to prevent drafts from being miserable, and nobody wants to open that shit at rare.

Meanwhile, Force of Will down to $35 (if you don't insist on original art, of course).

Angry Grimace

I think the only other Legacy and Vintage staples that aren't being printed are already cheap too, like Karakas, Tabernacle, etc.

Karakand

Every set ever printed / digitally released should have Lightning Bolt.

If you're going to shaft red on mechanics, you can at least print its second or third* best card in every set.

*Pyroblast can be Misdirected so it's a tough case about whether or not it's better than Lightning Bolt, but Bolt's deffo not better than Red Elemental Blast.

******RAISES FLAME SHIELD*****

Enetered FNM for the first time in a long time tonight. 6-0-1 with Esper Control ^_^

Rounds(23 players):

1. MBD 2-1
  2. G/R Monsters 2-0
  3. MBA 2-0
  4. Brave Naya 2-0
  5. Brave Naya 2-1
Top 4
  1. Red Deck Wins 2-0
  2. Brave Naya(rematch from round 4, intentional draw)

I think I might drop the third Nightveil from my sideboard for a second Doom Blade, my board against Naya is a little too light(-3 Thoughtseize, -2 Syncopate, +1 Doom Blade, +2 Fiendslayer, +2 Nightveil). Overall a good experience and a good variety of strong decks. Nightveil is just too good from the sideboard against black decks, good protection against duress.
Store gave 4 dollars store credit each in lieu of packs because they ran out, so godlike :-o

Firemind

How else will you cast your Fireblasts?

Fireblast might be my favourite red card from a design point of view. High risk, high reward. It wins games. Everything that embodies the feeling of a red card.

Anyone remember the story from a PT where some guy whose name I can't remember had a Cursed Scroll in play and his opponent was at less than 7 life? He drew a card, activated Cursed Scroll and named Fireblast. His opponent conceded. Turns out he didn't drew Fireblast. Who needs the heart of the cards? :lol

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
How else will you cast your Fireblasts?

Fireblast might be my favourite red card from a design point of view. High risk, high reward. It wins games. Everything that embodies the feeling of a red card.

Anyone remember the story from a PT where some guy whose name I can't remember had a Cursed Scroll in play and his opponent was at less than 7 life? He drew a card, activated Cursed Scroll and named Fireblast. His opponent conceded. Turns out he didn't drew Fireblast. Who needs the heart of the cards? :lol

That's how I feel about Reanimate and black. Not the best card in the color, but it's my personal flavor favorite. Dark Confidant is a close second, but I hate the OG art so much.

I'm the opposite, I prefer the Bob art.
Regardless, fantastic card. I can only imagine how many were traded away because he didn't seem good dealing yourself damage.

This seems good?

indulgenttormentor1.jpg

Seems really really bad. It's basically a 6/6 for five that can be traded with Herald of Torment, gets killed by Stormbreath and neutered by weenies/tokens.

It's basically a terrible Desecration Demon that gives your opponent three choices and never buffs itself, and Demon is already an awkward finisher vs a lot of decks. It's better against Elspeth than Desecration, but that's about it.

bigkrev

0-2 drop with R/W burn at Gameday today. Lost a heartbreaking G3 round one vs Jund walkers where my Magma Jet was unable to find any burn spell in the top 3 for lethal, and a Round 2 loss against Mono White beaters when I could not find any of my 12 White sources all game (I drew all 4 vaults and 6 mountains) to a chain to the Rocks his Angelic Skirmisher

f0rk

Lost in the semis against Mono B/r with B/g because I hadn't played the deck before and was bad with Pack Rat. B/g just seems like the best deck in the format.

ultron87

I'm currently trying to get barely American Control that is mostly just Azorius to work in Standard. It seems alright and I love Keranos as a one of that'll never become a creature ever.

I also want to build Burn too. Because it seems great.

The only Standard deck in this format I like is Burn. Just good enough to win a tournament, but nobody seems to take it seriously.

It's too easy to hate out is the problem. When your deck loses to an 0/5 Sheep you get really sad.

I'm currently trying to get barely American Control that is mostly just Azorius to work in Standard. It seems alright and I love Keranos as a one of that'll never become a creature ever.
The nice thing about UWr is that Counterflux makes it near invincible in the control mirror.

f0rk

Like mono black, the UW core of Revelation, Verdict and Detention Sphere is just so solid that any third colour is fine. Red is probably the most fun as it has the only relevant god.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";113320741]It's too easy to hate out is the problem. When your deck loses to an 0/5 Sheep you get really sad.[/QUOTE]

Control decks play that card? I guess it's kind of annoying, but hardly insurmountable.

Yeef

Played B/W human aggro. Did pretty well, but didn't win the mat. Deck is super fun though. My only loss was to an esper midrange deck that runs obzedat and whip. In hindsight, I probably should've put Silence the believers into the sideboard.

Okay, thanks. I believe I had it confused with another "day" event.
You're thinking of Magic Celebration. That usually hits a month or two after the core set.

You're thinking of Magic Celebration. That usually hits a month or two after the core set.

That's it. :)

My UWR Modern deck is complete other than the eight fetch lands. And as much money the cards it has are worth, several hundreds of dollars, it still lacks several more hundreds of dollars just in those eight little cards.

However, I have everything needed to go midrange, kiki/twin combo, or straight control. I really have three or four different decks with this setup.

Hopefully I don't get bored or more stuff gets banned.

And in the name of jebus we need some fetch land reprints!!!! Come on, make it happen this year.

Top Bottom