• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Control decks play that card? I guess it's kind of annoying, but hardly insurmountable.

It'll get you minimum 5 life per game you play it against burn assuming they ram an Ash Zealot and Lightning Strike into it immediately. 6+ if they don't. That means the sheep on average buys you two turns against Burn, which is what you need to stabilize.

Personally, I side in Fiendslayers and Blind Obedience to go along with my mainboard Blood Barons. There's also an argument for Nightveils because they block phoenix and eat strikes, but I think I'd rather dissolve and get a scry out of the 1 for 1.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";113267512]Seems really really bad. It's basically a 6/6 for five that can be traded with Herald of Torment, gets killed by Stormbreath and neutered by weenies/tokens.

It's basically a terrible Desecration Demon that gives your opponent three choices and never buffs itself, and Demon is already an awkward finisher vs a lot of decks. It's better against Elspeth than Desecration, but that's about it.[/QUOTE]

Desecration Demon is rotating out though. I wouldn't play the card over Herald of Torment though, and you don't really need card draw in black. Even without Connections, Read the Bones performs pretty well.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";113329003]It'll get you minimum 5 life per game you play it against burn assuming they ram an Ash Zealot and Lightning Strike into it immediately. 6+ if they don't. That means the sheep on average buys you two turns against Burn, which is what you need to stabilize.

Personally, I side in Fiendslayers and Blind Obedience to go along with my mainboard Blood Barons. There's also an argument for Nightveils because they block phoenix and eat strikes, but I think I'd rather dissolve and get a scry out of the 1 for 1.[/QUOTE]

Ash Zealot's been disappearing in favor of Eidolon of the Great Revel recently.

y2dvd

Had to win 5 matches today to win the game day mat. Used R/W Burn. My local meta knows to sb for R/W since I've been piloting this deck before it got popular
so hipster
, but it's still tough to hate against it. It kinda helped that no one drew their burn hate cards like Blind Obedience or any other life gaining cards or I just had the answers to the hate cards.

There were a few Constellation brews like W/B or G/B which did pretty well. This could be a thing once rotation hits.

Desecration Demon is rotating out though. I wouldn't play the card over Herald of Torment though, and you don't really need card draw in black. Even without Connections, Read the Bones performs pretty well.
Which is why I compared it to Herald. And I wouldn't call Indulgent Tormentor "card draw" lol. It's worded that way, but in the real world the effect is 3 damage unless I let you draw a card or I sac a creature.

The thing is just too slow for a card that doesn't do anything impactful.

Ash Zealot's been disappearing in favor of Eidolon of the Great Revel recently.

Which is a fine choice. The deck is still easy to hate out. Uncontested it can run people over, though. Out of the "newer" decks I definitely think Brave Naya is more stable, if still not top class like Bg Devotion and Esper Control.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm currently trying to get barely American Control that is mostly just Azorius to work in Standard. It seems alright and I love Keranos as a one of that'll never become a creature ever.

I also want to build Burn too. Because it seems great.

I am absolutey convinced that UR is a deck right now. I'm missing something, but I see it. I just don't know if it'll be like when I was convinced RG was going to rock with Ruric Thar, or when I was convinced that Esper was going to big recently.

It seems like this is how Standard lines up right now:

S-tier: Bg Devotion
A-Tier: Esper Control
B-Tier: Junk Midrange, RWb Burn, Brave Naya
C-Tier: R/G Monsters, MUD
D-Tier: FNM Shenanigans

I am absolutey convinced that UR is a deck right now. I'm missing something, but I see it. I just don't know if it'll be like when I was convinced RG was going to rock with Ruric Thar, or when I was convinced that Esper was going to big recently.

Counterburn with Prognostic Sphinx?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";113351455]It seems like this is how Standard lines up right now:

S-tier: Bg Devotion
A-Tier: Esper Control
B-Tier: Junk Midrange, RWb Burn, Brave Naya
C-Tier: R/G Monsters, MUD
D-Tier: FNM Shenanigans

[/QUOTE]

Based on what

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";113388214]I also like calling the blue deck MUD because it's garbage cards mixed with dirt(Thassa & Master).

Common sense and statistical analysis of results from States. I combined variants, though.[/QUOTE]

I don't think there's any basis to say there's tiers of anything beyond MBD variants and U/W/x control.

Saying that Monoblue is garbage cards isn't helping me trust your judgment any more. That was a Tier 1 deck until very recently.

kirblar

MUD has an established term. Please just say Mono-U. :(
Saying that Monoblue is garbage cards isn't helping me trust your judgment any more. That was a Tier 1 deck until very recently.
It was always a pile of garbage cards and a few good ones that relied on synergy. It's just that the synergy isn't good enough by itself anymore.

Firemind

MUD has an established term. Please just say Mono-U. :(

Mono Blue Discard? I honestly can't remember and/or I'm repressing my memories.

http://swaseyshuffle.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/modern-2-electric-boogaloo/

Another great article on Modern decks.

I have Delvers so it looks like I can turn my UWR deck into yet another one.

And other than the mana base, that Infinite Storm deck looks cheap! Pretty cool, too.

No Skred Red? Shambles!

Angry Grimace

Well, I picked up a playset of Prophetic Flamespeaker. Even though I know there's no Tier 1 deck with this, he's just too powerful for me not to try.

Edit: You haven't experienced fun in Magic until you've connected on a 16-dmg swing on Turn 4 with Flamespeaker.

Well, I picked up a playset of Prophetic Flamespeaker. Even though I know there's no Tier 1 deck with this, he's just too powerful for me not to try.

Edit: You haven't experienced fun in Magic until you've connected on a 16-dmg swing on Turn 4 with Flamespeaker.

Brave Naya is solidly tier-2 right now though. Those blowout combos get pretty silly.

Black Bolt became Disfigure (black Shock). Ulcerize actually makes you lose three life, not one, which is probably enough to push it outside of the realm of playable.

New Mothership feature article has a summary of the Godsend story, but the interesting part is that there is new art, including art of
Heliod stabbing Elspeth
. Does that mean we're getting a card depicting that in an upcoming set, or will it be alternate art for one of the existing cards? The article also places a lot of emphasis on how
Elspeth is now in the Theros underworld, so we probably are going to see more of Elspeth... in like seven years with Return to Theros

Also, the full art of Deicide includes Ajani. Who knew?

Angry Grimace

New Mothership feature article has a summary of the Godsend story, but the interesting part is that there is new art, including art of
Heliod stabbing Elspeth
. Does that mean we're getting a card depicting that in an upcoming set, or will it be alternate art for one of the existing cards? The article also places a lot of emphasis on how
Elspeth is now in the Theros underworld, so we probably are going to see more of Elspeth... in like seven years with Return to Theros

Also, the full art of Deicide includes Ajani. Who knew?

Elspeth will escape whenever they decide they need more Elspeth. Same as Kiora, who is from Zendikar, and Tamiyo who is from Kamigawa, neither of which were in those blocks.

Elspeth will escape whenever they decide they need more Elspeth. Same as Kiora, who is from Zendikar, and Tamiyo who is from Kamigawa, neither of which were in those blocks.

Eh, the article specifically places emphasis on how mysterious
the Theros underworld is. I would imagine they'd use Elspeth being sent there as an excuse to explore it, and they wouldn't explore it outside of a return to Theros

Also, I'm not sure if it was asked here, but conspiracy type cards are officially banned from not only vintage and legacy, but also commander.

Angry Grimace

the Theros underworld is. I would imagine they'd use Elspeth being sent there as an excuse to explore it, and they wouldn't explore it outside of a return to Theros

Also, I'm not sure if it was asked here, but conspiracy type cards are officially banned from not only vintage and legacy, but also commander.

I doubt they're going to just forget about Elspeth for the better part of a decade. She'll just escape in some stupid book and show up elsewhere.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Hey, kids! Want to buy cards that you can play with once?!? Boy do we have the product for you!!!

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";113472469]Can't have different borders on the same print sheet.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure how it works honestly, maybe someone else can clarify. I just know that silver and gold borders are not tourny legal, so it would have been an easy fix

How about full Conspiracy spoilers?

Oh and here's the image for what is being called black bolt.

tumblr_n65yrzfcvx1tophcho1_400.jpg

Firemind

MTG Salvation didn't have it up for some reason. My bad. Can't see the rarities tho.

Edit: Fire Blast is in. All is right in the world.

Edit2: What are you even supposed to draft? It looks like there are no finishers outside of green. Unless Morphling happens to be uncommon or something. :lol

Angry Grimace

MTG Salvation didn't have it up for some reason. My bad. Can't see the rarities tho.

Edit: Fire Blast is in. All is right in the world.

Edit2: What are you even supposed to draft? It looks like there are no finishers outside of green. Unless Morphling happens to be uncommon or something. :lol

Morphling is a Mythic. Really,.

Top Bottom