• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Dack Fayden was pulled tonight. I was there but didn't play. I will play tomorrow but unfortunately it will be boosters from the same box. I doubt I'll pull one myself.

Won the conspiracy event tonight on the back of blue white flyers using conspiracies to splash pelakka wurm and give it haste. I got three of those flyers that tutor themselves and used a conspiracy to give them haste. Also got the flying token generators and got them to draw me an extra card with a conspiracy. Then that enchantment that buffs tokens.

and that construct dude that buffs by how late it was drafted as an insane 12/12 for five.

Pulled a brago and a misdirection and just had a blast.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That Naya deck finally made somebody mad on MTGO. It was bound to happen.

I agree on maybe cutting the Soldier of the Pantheon. I am almost never happy to see it in my opening hand with a grip of spells. Can anybody think of something in RGW as a one drop? Legion Loyalist, maybe?

That can't be right

MjFrancis

I played a really aggressive game of Conspiracy.

I first picked Marchesa's Emissary. Hexproof in this format? Just nuts. So my Conspiracy cards all named her (drafted two of her) and gave her haste, +1/+1 and one less mana to cast. I just took turns attacking everyone with the highest life total until I put Traveler's Cloak on her and named Island for my landwalk. Rolled over the one other guy with Islands. Got damage in with Brago, King Eternal and bounced Traveler's Cloak, naming Mountain as my landwalk, as the last two opponents both had Mountains.

Bad group game politics. Marchesa's Emissary was 9/9, hexproof, dethrone and Mountainwalk so I was promptly ganged up on and destroyed before I could get another turn. I had a couple counterspell and bounce spells to defend but it wasn't enough.

It felt just like a Born of the Gods draft with all the Heroic shenanigans. It was the first time I had forced a color, too, I was surprised it worked even a little. Brago and Dack's Duplicate were my only cards that I splashed for.

bigkrev

I played a really aggressive game of Conspiracy.

I first picked Marchesa's Emissary. Hexproof in this format? Just nuts. So my Conspiracy cards all named her (drafted two of her) and gave her haste, +1/+1 and one less mana to cast. I just took turns attacking everyone with the highest life total until I put Traveler's Cloak on her and named Island for my landwalk. Rolled over the one other guy with Islands. Got damage in with Brago, King Eternal and bounced Traveler's Cloak, naming Mountain as my landwalk, as the last two opponents both had Mountains.

Bad group game politics. Marchesa's Emissary was 9/9, hexproof, dethrone and Mountainwalk so I was promptly ganged up on and destroyed before I could get another turn. I had a couple counterspell and bounce spells to defend but it wasn't enough.

It felt just like a Born of the Gods draft with all the Heroic shenanigans. It was the first time I had forced a color, too, I was surprised it worked even a little. Brago and Dack's Duplicate were my only cards that I splashed for.

This sounds like a game that would cause me to quit magic forever

Our store did a pack per kill price support in the conspiracy pods, plus a promo magister for the last person standing. It was pretty fun and encouraged aggressive play, the most amusing thing I saw was a guy mill himself out just so he could get a pack for the kill.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That Naya deck finally made somebody mad on MTGO. It was bound to happen.

I agree on maybe cutting the Soldier of the Pantheon. I am almost never happy to see it in my opening hand with a grip of spells. Can anybody think of something in RGW as a one drop? Legion Loyalist, maybe?

That can't be right

Judge's Familiar is what I've been trying out. Its not great, but the sac ability has been handy at times. I'm not quite sure there's a better option than Soldier. Part of the problem is that its easy to get baited into trying to play the deck as a combo deck, when you really should be playing it as aggro at all times.

My personal thought is that after trying it out, you shouldn't really worry about Soldier's inability to get targeted by your own stuff. Its irrelevant because if he's the only creature you have out, you probably would have lost anyways.

Our store did a pack per kill price support in the conspiracy pods, plus a promo magister for the last person standing. It was pretty fun and encouraged aggressive play, the most amusing thing I saw was a guy mill himself out just so he could get a pack for the kill.
That's pretty awesome. I wish I had that kill bonus, I killed all three opponents simultaneously with a horde of two power flyers and a pelakka wurm I gave double strike.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't quite understand the popularity of the Blossoms enchantment deck. It never seems to do anything but draw cards. It doesn't appear to have a win condition.

I finally played Conspiracy. I made a black / blue deck.

Blue with card draw, hexproof creatures, land walk enchantments, and fetching birds.

Black for a bunch of removal and some swamp cycling.

I got manascrewed right from the start, couldn't get a board presence and was ganged up on and killed.

Waste of money that was! ;)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Conspiracy was awesome today. Had a really great time, even if I didn't win. Ended up going this G/W aggressive thing that heavily used tokens and morbid triggers for advantage. My favorite part is how I took 3 Pillorfield Ox's because they were passed to me and turned them into mana dorks with the one Conspiracy, which actually made them a good card.

My roommate, who never plays Magic actually outside of release events like this, ended up winning our 8 man pod with, of all things, a mono-Red deck, which made him pretty happy.

miniMacGuru

Neo Member
I got to play a couple rounds of Conspiracy this weekend at my LGS. Overall, I really like how the "draft matters" cards work; They add an interesting element of the game without being too overpowered. One thing that ended up bugging was groups just playing 1 free-for-all round after drafting and then leaving or buying into another draft round. I kind of wish people would be willing to play more than 1 round after paying for 3 packs >_>

I think my favorite draft game moment was getting both the green & white token generating cards (Selvala's Charge and Rousing of Souls), getting 2 "duplicate named spell" conspiracies, and 2 Intangible Virtues. I managed to get all of them on the board at the same time, so my opponents folded to 5 elephants backed up with 7 flying spirits.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I got to play a couple rounds of Conspiracy this weekend at my LGS. Overall, I really like how the "draft matters" cards work; They add an interesting element of the game without being too overpowered. One thing that ended up bugging was groups just playing 1 free-for-all round after drafting and then leaving or buying into another draft round. I kind of wish people would be willing to play more than 1 round after paying for 3 packs >_>

The way our store did it, you did the two 4 player games after the draft, and then you did a second round where the top two players from each first game played a game (and same with the bottom two). Everyone got a participation pack, and the second place got 2 and the first got 3

Holy shit. Holy shit.
Have you seen the play mat artwork for the Magic World Cup qualifier that will be given to top 8?

wmcq_2014_top8playmat.jpg

Lili, oh my Lili.

lupin23rd

As someone who is not familiar with a lot of the current cards, when is a good time to jump into the world of standard?

My understanding is that 2014 will be legal until the next block hits and causes a rotation, and I'm wondering if the meta game usually changes quite a bit when that happens?

Where should my focus be on current cards - the Theros block?

Also random quesrion, does anyone used cursed scrolls anymore outside of kitchen table games?

OnPoint

Chain Veil (6)

Equipped creature gains hexproof and deathtouch.

Equip (6)

Um... maybe the worst card ever printed if so?

Ok, maybe not the worst. But I'd like it to be more creative and in flavor.

Chain Veil (4)

Equipped creature gains deathtouch and is now black.

(2), unequip Chain Veil: Gain control of target planeswalker. That Planeswalker's controller gains control of Chain Veil.

OnPoint

Basically, I'm not expecting this to be awesome.

If it's anything like Godsend, it will be really flavorful and appear powerful at first, but actually prove to suck really hard. I also don't think it will be equipment because it is supposed to affect planeswalkers. That said, maybe it'll actually be more like this, if I'm really tapping into the flavor.

Chain Veil (2)(B)(B)

Legendary Artifact

Put an emblem in play that reads "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a creature or take 7 damage"

You and planeswalkers you control have hexproof

Remove a creature card in your graveyard from the game: Draw a card, lose two life

y2dvd

Conspiracy was fun. Outside of a few players who didn't play the Conspiracy cards correctly by not naming the card ahead of time (which was bound to happend), it was a lot of fun. We did two rounds and I took them both with U/R defenders I guess? I mainly played stuff like Minamo Scrollkeeper and Vent Sentinel to just put up walls and not seem threatening. It worked out as defenders did not look like it was going to do dmg and everyone attacked each other. Let's just say with the very few removals that was going around, when I finally got to playing Dack's Duplicate to copy a 24/24 an opponent played and giving it haste and unblockable with Marchesa's Smuggler, it closed games. I don't think there's that many evasive stuff so Marchesa's Smuggler won me both games quite easily.

2nd game was basically the same gameplan. I copyed an 8/8 hydra that deals 8dmg to all opponents when dmg gets thru and made it unblockable and have haste with Marchesa's Smuggler. Took two opponents out in one turn and 2 turns later, I took the 2nd game.

I didn't study the set which made it pretty fun to draft. Pulled a Pernicious Deed that I needed for my EDH deck so that was pretty sweet. Also pulled Reflecting Pool first pack, and got passed Dack's Duplicate and Basandra, Battle Seraph so that was pretty sweet as well.

Did three back-to-back Conspiracy drafts today. The first one played two rounds, the other two played just one, and I won two out of the four games, which was sweet.

First draft: Literal five-color goodstuff. Lost the first match, won the second.

Second draft: Blue/Black bleeders (if it said "each player," I took it). Barely squeaked out a win by milling an opponent with an active Squirrel Nest while I was at very, very low life.

Third draft: Red/blue/green; pretty aggressive with Dethrone, Edric, etc. Black splash for Grenzo himself. Lost to player B's 4/4 Quag Vampires thanks to player A's Silent Arbiter.

Pulled a Stifle, 2x Grenzo, Deal Broker, Edric, Grenzo's Rebuttal, Misdirection, Exploration, Dack's Duplicate, plus a couple of foil commons. And I got a trade for a Prime Speaker Zegana I had been looking for, so that was sweet.

The format is so much fun.

Angry Grimace

Chain Veil (6)

Equipped creature gains hexproof and deathtouch.

Equip (6)

Godsend is basically unplayable at 1WW and (3) equip.

It's too bad. Prophetic Flamespeaker would be nuts with something like Swords in the format.

As someone who is not familiar with a lot of the current cards, when is a good time to jump into the world of standard?

My understanding is that 2014 will be legal until the next block hits and causes a rotation, and I'm wondering if the meta game usually changes quite a bit when that happens?

Where should my focus be on current cards - the Theros block?

Also random quesrion, does anyone used cursed scrolls anymore outside of kitchen table games?

The entire game changes drastically at rotation because Magic 2014 and Return to Ravnica will "rotate" out, meaning they aren't legal anymore. Literally every deck stops being good at rotation because all of them rely at least somewhat on Return to Ravnica cards. We don't even know what cards will be printed in the fall set, so its impossible to say what's going to be good.

Wichu

Literally every deck stops being good at rotation because all of them rely at least somewhat on Return to Ravnica cards. We don't even know what cards will be printed in the fall set, so its impossible to say what's going to be good.

Mono-red is pretty much always viable. There's no way M14/Khans won't contain enough stuff to replace Rakdos Cacklers etc.

Angry Grimace

Mono-red is pretty much always viable. There's no way M14/Khans won't contain enough stuff to replace Rakdos Cacklers etc.

Sure, but its not the same deck. It's just the same archetype.

I mean, Mono-Black Aggro is probably still playable on some level after rotation at least into the first set of Khans but I wouldn't bet on anything else.

I've been aggressively trading all my standard playables not in my deck towards modern staples because it's just not worth the gamble.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";115849886]I mean, Mono-Black Aggro is probably still playable on some level after rotation at least into the first set of Khans but I wouldn't bet on anything else.

I've been aggressively trading all my standard playables not in my deck towards modern staples because it's just not worth the gamble.[/QUOTE]

There are a few cards that will probably be good no matter what, e.g. Polukranos, Stormbreath, Elspeth.

I think Prophetic Flamespeaker is a good hold. Mostly because I really like the card and believe Wizards will do something to make it good (e.g. put some decent equipment in the next set.)

Lucario

An interesting bug on MTGO was found earlier today when Joe Lossett did a quick stream to showcase the cheater. Essentially, it turns Order of Succession into "if you have no creatures and your opponent does, they time out/concede and you win". Just saw this on /r/magictcg and thought it was neat.

http://www.twitch.tv/oarsman79/b/537253992

Wow, what a piece of shit.

Being that deliberate with an exploit in a daily event should get you permanently banned from MTGO. No refunds for cards, just delete all accounts sharing that IP.

There are a few cards that will probably be good no matter what, e.g. Polukranos, Stormbreath, Elspeth.

I think Prophetic Flamespeaker is a good hold. Mostly because I really like the card and believe Wizards will do something to make it good (e.g. put some decent equipment in the next set.)

Don't forget Thoughtseize lol

WanderingWind

I can build a couple of different modern decks in their entirety if it wasn't for those verdammt fetchlands. Those need a reprint like, today. Just a special set with fetchlands and full art lands. 8 dollars a pack and a slap across the face, I don't care, I'll pay.

rCIZZLE

Trying to buy cheap cards from tcgplayer is one of the most frustrating experiences. They want all orders to be at least a dollar so the stores aren't losing money, I get it, but their optimizer sucks. If I'm ordering one ~3 dollar card and one 25 cent card, it should try and find the cheapest store that has both in stock. But it just finds the 2 cheapest copies of each separately.

WanderingWind

Trying to buy cheap cards from tcgplayer is one of the most frustrating experiences. They want all orders to be at least a dollar so the stores aren't losing money, I get it, but their optimizer sucks. If I'm ordering one ~3 dollar card and one 25 cent card, it should try and find the cheapest store that has both in stock. But it just finds the 2 cheapest copies of each separately.

Yeah, I just stopped using them. Channel Fireball always ended up being the cheapest total when ordering anything that wasn't just a playset of something. Now, I'm exclusively a MTGOAcademy man though.

bigkrev

Yeah, I just stopped using them. Channel Fireball always ended up being the cheapest total when ordering anything that wasn't just a playset of something. Now, I'm exclusively a MTGOAcademy man though.

And the other thing is, even if you do pay slightly more by shopping at a gigantic store, you get the customer service, the lack of canceled orders, and better grading. On CFB, I almost always will order a SP version of a card, because I can never tell a difference between their SP and NM.

Angry Grimace

So in general, I dislike Magic's lore. Mostly because while I think Wizards does an exceptional job of worldbuilding, they do a shitty job of writing good plots. This short story is much more of the former than the latter, and I actually really enjoyed it.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ur/303

They're never going to resolve the Phyrexian, Nicol Bolas or Eldrazi plots, anyways. I can't really fathom them deciding to come back to Theros, either, to be honest.

So in general, I dislike Magic's lore. Mostly because while I think Wizards does an exceptional job of worldbuilding, they do a shitty job of writing good plots. This short story is much more of the former than the latter, and I actually really enjoyed it.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ur/303

99% of their audience gets the story through the pictures and flavor text on the cards. It's in their best interests to be really good at worldbuilding. The actual stories are basically just fun things they do to reward the people who go looking for it. There's no real incentive to spend inordinate amounts of time on them unless they were going to go all in on the story in Duels of the Planeswalkers.

Angry Grimace

Doing a couple of Vintage Masters draft simulations and I'm kind of clueless what kind of deck I'm supposed to be making. All of the cards that would enable various archetypes are restricted by the fact that the enablers are rare.

The decision to have 0 Modern legal cards is going to really hurt this draft environment, I think.

OnPoint

Had a friend who is at E3 as press ask during his MTG interview whether or not Garruk was the only black PW in M15.

He said that Nik Davidson said he is not the only one.

Granted, I wish I could confirm it myself (I trust this person), but this is what I was told.

kirblar

Had a friend who is at E3 as press ask during his MTG interview whether or not Garruk was the only black PW in M15.

He said that Nik Davidson said he is not the only one.

Granted, I wish I could confirm it myself (I trust this person), but this is what I was told.
Garruk's almost certainly BG. Elaine Chase showed off the toys "In Color Order" on twitter, and he was last.

This would be why there's no BG mythic in Theros.

Top Bottom