• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

ultron87

They're never going to resolve the Phyrexian, Nicol Bolas or Eldrazi plots, anyways. I can't really fathom them deciding to come back to Theros, either, to be honest.

I think they'll definitely come back to all those things. They've brought them up in supplemental products and story beats too often not to do that. It'll just take forever because of the time frame they work with. I don't know if they'll ever do anything as final as blowing up all the Phyrexians like they did in the old days, but things to do seem to be progressing in some fashion or another.

It'll be interesting to see whether they do it in a "Return to Blah" set or in a set that is set up as "Nicol Bolas is up to no good in Fantasy World Where the Ground is Rubber". Like I doubt we'll go back to New Phyrexia, but the Phyrexians can totally start causing beef elsewhere.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Had a friend who is at E3 as press ask during his MTG interview whether or not Garruk was the only black PW in M15.

He said that Nik Davidson said he is not the only one.

Granted, I wish I could confirm it myself (I trust this person), but this is what I was told.

Liliana of the Dark Realms wins re-election to the surprise of all

OnPoint

Garruk's almost certainly BG. Elaine Chase showed off the toys "In Color Order" on twitter, and he was last.

This would be why there's no BG mythic in Theros.

Interesting.

I think they'll definitely come back to all those things. They've brought them up in supplemental products and story beats too often not to do that. It'll just take forever because of the time frame they work with. I don't know if they'll ever do anything as final as blowing up all the Phyrexians like they did in the old days, but things to do seem to be progressing in some fashion or another.

It'll be interesting to see whether they do it in a "Return to Blah" set or in a set that is set up as "Nicol Bolas is up to no good in Fantasy World Where the Ground is Rubber". Like I doubt we'll go back to New Phyrexia, but the Phyrexians can totally start causing beef elsewhere.

I feel like it's going to come down to either the Eldrazi or the Phyrexians figuring out how to get off their own plane and 'walk elsewhere, which will cause some sort of convergence of the threads they've been lying down into some huge freaking battle. Maybe Bolas will be revealed as "a hero who did what needed to be done to save everyone" with his plotting, or something. Bolas sacrifices himself to resolve his solution, Niv's spark ignites and he takes over as the big bad dragon in the multiverse.

rCIZZLE

Payout for Vintage/Legacy events on modo seem pretty crazy right now. Difference between 4-0 and 3-1 in a daily is huge with a 6 to 2 VM pack split. Even 8mans seem like decent value with a 3-2-1 split, assuming VM packs hold value.

Been looking to dump a lot more of my paper collection into a legacy deck on modo and I'm thinking now is a good time. ~350 tickets for a set of Wastelands is gross though. Especially since it's like the last staple to not get a reprint yet so that investment is likely to tank any month now.

Speaking of paper magic, does anybody trade on here? I need UWR control parts for modern.

Also, I'm really sad Standard is rotating so soon. I want to keep playing now that I finally feel 100% confident in my Esper list.

edit: fuuuuck, I actually forgot to order a copy of distortion strike for tresserhorn -_-

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";116043770]Speaking of super, I hate when my opponent concedes right as my Blood Baron gets his buff. Let me have my Super Saiyan :-(

Super Standard is gonna be nuts. C'mon FETCHES! Let DRS have his day in Standard![/QUOTE]

Do you really think they'll dedicate 10 rare spots to lands in M15?

Khans, my friend. Khans.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Do you really think they'll dedicate 10 rare spots to lands in M15?

Khans, my friend. Khans.

I tend to doubt it, myself. I don't think you'll see them again until WOTC decides to do a Return to Zendikar thing. There's gonna have to be some kind of fast duals in either M15 or Khans though, or Standard would just be mono-colored aggro decks.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";116045204]Well they conceded because they were gonna lose and had like 1 card in hand lol

And they were playing burn.[/QUOTE]

I mean, I've never actually had Blood Baron get the fourth ability online.

I mean, I've never actually had Blood Baron get the fourth ability online.

It's a rare but good feeling. I had a guy think he could win by ultimating his Kiora against my barons a few turns before they went all Great Ape. Just a couple doom blades to get them through and BAM.

Edit: note that I'm more likely to get the buff because if I'm winning with Blood Baron, he's probably my only damage source the whole game and my opponent's still got 16-20 health for me to drain.

Angry Grimace

Turn 4, opponent still at 20. Swing with Voice of Resurgence and Fabled Hero. Opponent, who has three creatures on the board, doesn't block. Ghor-Clan Rampager on Fabled Hero. Selesnya Charm on Fabled Hero. Opponent dead. And pissed, and flaming.

Turn 4, opponent still at 20. Swing with Voice of Resurgence and Fabled Hero. Opponent, who has three creatures on the board, doesn't block. Ghor-Clan Rampager on Fabled Hero. Selesnya Charm on Fabled Hero. Opponent dead. And pissed, and flaming.

You'd think that Fabled Hero being on board would set off alarm bells in your opponent's head.

Reminds of me people playing Infect during Scars/Innistrad "big standard." Oh, I'll just miracle a Blessings of Nature/Revenge of the Hunted and kill you this turn, thank you very much.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Seriously Grimace, that deck is the best. I like it A) because I always love casting Giant Growth and B) Nobody ever, ever things the one drop is going to kill them. It's not a tier deck at all, but man is it fun. If this was Reddit, I'd be hooking you up with some gold

I need to buy the pieces for Modern Infect, because this is just too delicious.

MjFrancis

In the line of T3-ish wins, someone on Mtgvault posted a list here:

4 Immolating Souleater
2 Moltensteel Dragon

4 Academy Raider
4 Children of Korlis
2 Mad Prophet
3 Order of Whiteclay

4 Double Cleave
3 Emerge Unscathed
3 Enlightened Tutor
3 Gods Willing

4 Assault Strobe
3 Remember the Fallen

8 Mountain
9 Plains
4 Terramorphic Expanse

The list would be dirt cheap without the Enlightened Tutors, and as someone else at the link commented, Modern legal. So I am tinkering around with a list that could be played at a Modern FNM:

4 Immolating Souleater
2 Moltensteel Dragon

4 Children of Korlis
4 Wall of Omens

4 Boros Charm
4 Double Cleave
3 Emerge Unscathed
4 Gods Willing
4 Magma Jet
2 Mortal's Ardor

2 Browbeat
2 Remember the Fallen

4 Clifftop Retreat
6 Mountain
7 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry

I think most of the changes are self-explanatory, everything I added protects or digs for essential cards better than the original list. Magma Jet may be weak but I'd rather be able to target something while digging for the combo. The old list had too much discard & draw bullshit that cost too much mana to get online.

Obviously missing a sideboard. I'd probably include Engineered Explosives, Grafdigger's Cage, Leyline of Sanctity, Rest in Peace and Torpor Orb. No idea which ones would be 1-of, 2-of, or 3-of though. I'm still fleshing out the deck so I'll worry about that later on.

f0rk

Infect seems a lot more fragile in modern than the naya deck is in standard just because of the removal you face. The creatures in Naya are fine on their own but Infect is more prone to the all creatures / all tricks draw.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm also attracted to Infect because it doesn't cost any real money. The standard Naya deck is just hilarious to play. They definitely look pretty similar, though I've never seen anybody real play the Naya deck.

I want to get a modern deck together just so I can start playing and learning metagames and deck archetypes. I was thinking about either this infect deck or robots/affinity largely due to not having to worry about play sets of $100 lands. Would either of these decks be good enough to not get crushed regularly? I want to be just competitive enough to see decks function and not just have every deck turn 3 kill me because I'm not putting up any fight.

The only old cards I have are mirrodin, dark steel, and fifth dawn stuff. So I'm climbing in pretty fresh.

Any other good deck ideas for just showing up and learning Modern in general?

ultron87

Affinity is definitely competitive. You'll only get crushed if your meta happens to have a lot of Affinity already in which case there might be a lot of sideboard hate dedicated to fighting it.

ultron87

Wow, I didn't realize Mox Opals were near 60 bucks now. Unfortunate since the deck is essentially non-functional without them. There really isn't a "slightly worse" alternative for it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wow, I didn't realize Mox Opals were near 60 bucks now. Unfortunate since the deck is essentially non-functional without them. There really isn't a "slightly worse" alternative for it.

Fuck, if I had held onto my prerelease Opal I could have made an additional $40

...okay maybe not such a big deal

MjFrancis

I have a Twin deck that is at least short two Snapcasters and sans fetchlands. I imagine running an Affinity deck without Mox Opals would be like running Twin without Splinter Twin and just hoping that the single or double Kiki-Jiki will always come through for you.

ultron87

I have a Twin deck that is at least short two Snapcasters and sans fetchlands. I imagine running an Affinity deck without Mox Opals would be like running Twin without Splinter Twin and just hoping that the single or double Kiki-Jiki will always come through for you.

Not having it just causes tons of problems. Your 16-17 lands suddenly aren't enough because you're down 4 mana sources. So you need to do something there. If you add lands you are now down cheap artifacts so you might run into problems turning on Metalcraft for your Etched Champions or keeping your Glimmervoids alive. And the amount of mana you might have available on turn one is reduced. Your best bet might be Paradise Mantle as a replacement, but that is really clunky and is a nonbo with Springleaf Drum.

I might put the deck together without the opals, subbing in 2 lands and 2 artifact creatures while I work my way to a set of opals through trading. Dropping $200 on 4 cards for a deck I may or may not like is a rough gamble. At least I already have 2 ravagers.

I can see the way opals are essential to the deck and if I end up liking it I might use my outgoing sphinx's revs and domris to snag a few this summer.

Angry Grimace

I'm going all in on MTGO Vintage, so I can live the dream of lording it over others for not being able to play Black Lotus.

I have a 360 with hdd and cables sitting in storage. I would also throw in 2 games. That's about a Wii U value equivalent. :p

In other news, I have now been carrying around a pack of darksteel with me for a week now. I bought it for a Loreseeker in a conspiracy draft. Zero have showed up in my pods. If there us another pod, though, 2 will show up there.

I do, absolutely. Mono green version I like a lot more than the black version I've seen before.

I made this minus the Hierarchs, only because they're expensive.... But this splashes blue, and also has apostles blessing (white phyrexian mana)

http://swaseyshuffle.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/infect.png

Here is an interesting alternative. Infect control like thing.. Just seems fun.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/deck/1488

This isn't infect, but I also built Infinite Storm and it looks very interesting. Haven't played it yet.

http://swaseyshuffle.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/infinite-storm.png

rCIZZLE

Bought Legacy burn and played in a couple 2 mans. First match burn mirror. Second match burn mirror. Guessing this is how it's been since the update yesterday.

Angry Grimace

I have a 360 with hdd and cables sitting in storage. I would also throw in 2 games. That's about a Wii U value equivalent. :p

In other news, I have now been carrying around a pack of darksteel with me for a week now. I bought it for a Loreseeker in a conspiracy draft. Zero have showed up in my pods. If there us another pod, though, 2 will show up there.

Real men use Arabian Nights boosters.

Angry Grimace

Finally, I can own a power nine card.

Fucking Time Twister.

There are actually a few decks which you can competitively play in Vintage without P9, although almost all of them are better with it. I've never played Vintage, but it appears to be just a completely different animal from Legacy, even though you wouldn't think so.

Top Bottom