• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
fetch isn't going to happen in the core set

aO3Otse.jpg

f0rk

Ape-arently the R/G card in the "Kird Ape" cycle is.... actually Kird Ape. Bit disappointed, hope the G/W one is good.

Bq1JWAaIcAI2_GB.jpg:large

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kird Ape in Standard again while Shocks are still in? That will fit right in Naya Aggro.

Angry Grimace

I'm the worst drafter in the world. I have come to accept that. Pretty good at constructed play though.

I hate draft because no matter how good of a deck you make, your opponent has 4 copies of Expunge, 4 copies of Fireblast and 4 copies of Solar Blast and always has them in his hand.

Firemind

I'm not saying it is likely, but Onslaught fetches would indeed fit right now. I could see them do five in the Core set and five in Khans, Innistrad style.

239 -
240 -
241 - Bloodstained Mire
242 - Darksteel Citadel, Uncommon
243 - Flooded Strand
244 - Polluted Delta
245 -
246 -
247 - Radiant Fountain, Common
248 - Windswept Heath
249 - Wooded Foothills
250 - Plains

You could even toss in Evolving Wilds. But more realistically I'd expect 248 and 249 to be Reliquary Tower and Terramorphic Expanse.

Damn. Thanks for getting my hopes up. ;(

I picked up some foil lands from my LGS, but I can't seem to find them online.

The one I'm looking at right now is a foil mountain with John Avon art, the 7th Edition symbol and the promo watermark.

Is this even a real card or what? They were only like 50 cents each so it's not a big deal but I thought someone here might know what's up.

realqnj6g.jpg

Are we getting 2 planeswalkers in M15? Garruk aaaannnd...?

Also who do you guys think the White soul is. Soul of Theros with returned Elspeth :) One can dream....

Angry Grimace

Are we getting 2 planeswalkers in M15? Garruk aaaannnd...?

Also who do you guys think the White soul is. Soul of Theros with returned Elspeth :) One can dream....

It is Theros, its already on the mothership, the card hasn't been spoiled yet. Black is Innistrad. The locations aren't random choices, its the planes that appear in Duels of the Planeswalkers 2015, which are the most recent ones that have been in Standard, hence Zendikar, New Phyrexia (Mirrodin), Innistrad, Ravnica, Theros and Shandalar (which is the Core Set general location).

The rumor is that its 6 Planeswalkers - Jace, Nissa, Ajani, Chandra, Liliana and Garruk. Based on the prerelease promo, it seems all but confirmed Garruk is G/B.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";117925145]Maybe these cards really are fake. I can't find them anywhere.[/QUOTE]

What, foil Onslaught lands? I have a bunch of them, so that seems unlikely. I think all foils from that era have the promo watermark.

kirblar

M15 has 6 PWs. 4 appear to be new, alongside Chandra, Pyromancer, and Liliana 1.0 (LotV likely was intended initially.) B/G Garruk, G Nissa, U Jace, W Ajani.

Angry Grimace

M15 has 6 PWs. 4 appear to be new, alongside Chandra, Pyromancer, and Liliana 1.0 (LotV likely was intended initially.) B/G Garruk, G Nissa, U Jace, W Ajani.

Source? I'm skeptical they'd add a new Ajani after putting one in Journey into Nyx.

Angry Grimace

The pictures for each were on their Big-Head Doll box. Only two had old art.

Maybe, but they have a lot of PW art for various purposes and cards. Even if they were using the same cards, I wouldn't be surprised if they have new different/new art on the promo materials so that it doesn't look like the previous year's set.

Crocodile

M14 is fine - just avoid White unless you have a REALLY good reason to be in the color

M10 is awful though. If your deck isn't just mono-bombs it has like no chance.

I like this card - a lot. He's (essentially) a Birthing Pod on a stick with a different set of upsides and downsides.

I'm absolutely in love with this card - it's quite likely going to end up my favorite from this set. It's a bit rough that you can't actually remove it when you're done with it, so it's a red card that can't realistically go in mono-red, but it's still sweet.

And the art is killer, especially considering the inspiration.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm absolutely in love with this card - it's quite likely going to end up my favorite from this set. It's a bit rough that you can't actually remove it when you're done with it, so it's a red card that can't realistically go in mono-red, but it's still sweet.

And the art is killer, especially considering the inspiration.
IMO that's part of the brilliance. Doubt Notch was thinking of it that way necessarily

Angry Grimace

Is there a reason I should wait to jump in on Force of Will online? Should I really expect it to dip much below 30 tix?

I'd think we are getting the usual compliment of all 5 colors plus either black or gold Garruk.

I'd say Ajani reprint, non-5cc Jace or Tamiyo, Chandra reprint, new Nissa, Lili (of the veil I wish), and Garruk.

As much as I don't want it to be true, the fact that all of the Ultra Pro gear has the Liliana Vess artwork on it makes it seem pretty clear that we're getting Liliana 1.0. Chandra has her Pyromaster art (they finally made a good Chandra, so they'll ride that one for a while). Ajani, Jace, Nissa, and Garruk all have new art, so unless an old card is getting new art, we could see four new planeswalkers in the set.

Or we could all be pleasantly surprised with something entirely different.

Did they fix the timezone issues yet? Are we getting spoilers at midnight PST or EST?

Angry Grimace

As much as I don't want it to be true, the fact that all of the Ultra Pro gear has the Liliana Vess artwork on it makes it seem pretty clear that we're getting Liliana 1.0. Chandra has her Pyromaster art (they finally made a good Chandra, so they'll ride that one for a while). Ajani, Jace, Nissa, and Garruk all have new art, so unless an old card is getting new art, we could see four new planeswalkers in the set.

Did they fix the timezone issues yet? Are we getting spoilers at midnight PST or EST?

I'd actually be surprised if they reused Liliana's old art even if they went with old school Lili.

OnPoint

Well, if we get Lili 1.0 now, that doesn't preclude them from reprinting LotV in the next block (though that would be shocking). Perhaps M16 will be our date with the damned.

I didn't know about the art, however, so that all makes sense then. I figure it'll be Nissa 2.0 (because 1.0 was garbage), a new Jace because I'm sure people are sick of 5cc Jace by now, and I guess it looks like a new Ajani, based on the art theory. It's a damn shame 6cc Garruk didn't get another shot.

Well, if we get Lili 1.0 now, that doesn't preclude them from reprinting LotV in the next block (though that would be shocking). Perhaps M16 will be our date with the damned.

I didn't know about the art, however, so that all makes sense then. I figure it'll be Nissa 2.0 (because 1.0 was garbage), a new Jace because I'm sure people are sick of 5cc Jace by now, and I guess it looks like a new Ajani, based on the art theory. It's a damn shame 6cc Garruk didn't get another shot.

Honestly, I think it's a bad idea to be printing so many new planeswalkers in a core set. They're the hardest card design to get "right," and they're basically forced to print five new planeswalkers in each block, so they really should be aiming reprints at the core set with at most one headlining planeswalker (Garruk for M15, Chandra for M14, etc).

I'm quite surprised to see so much new planeswalker artwork. The idea that we could be getting as many as four new planeswalkers in M15 is...kind of absurd.

Yeef

Honestly, I think it's a bad idea to be printing so many new planeswalkers in a core set. They're the hardest card design to get "right," and they're basically forced to print five new planeswalkers in each block, so they really should be aiming reprints at the core set with at most one headlining planeswalker (Garruk for M15, Chandra for M14, etc).

I'm quite surprised to see so much new planeswalker artwork. The idea that we could be getting as many as four new planeswalkers in M15 is...kind of absurd.
There seems to be a huge push to get story-affairs front-and-center recently. It makes sense, since the movie is coming sooner or later. Having new planeswalkers with abilities that better show what they're about, as far as plot and character go, seems to be part of that push.

Liliana of the Veil, Garruk of the Veil, Jace the Mind Sculptor, Gideon Jura, Nissa Relevant, Chandra Pyromaster, Brainstorm and fetchland reprints for the best core set ever.

Top Bottom