• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

As someone who's thinking of getting back into collecting Magic once again, this is extremely frightening: http://www.ebay.com/sch/mtgproxies131/m.html?item=291175985829&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Fake:

eeYoDsa

Fake:

ytNpv14
They're obvious in real life. Very glossy.

Has there been anything to indicate or counterindicate that slivers might be present on this new upcoming plane? Or something in the upcoming standard season to indicate more sliver support? They said it's going to be an unusual structure, so maybe a normal set and some planeswalking entity introducing a sliver invasion in Tarkhir? I believe when introducing the M14 slivers, it was mentioned that someone is manipulating slivers to their own ends, hence their altered look.

kirblar

Has there been anything to indicate or counterindicate that slivers might be present on this new upcoming plane? Or something in the upcoming standard season to indicate more sliver support? They said it's going to be an unusual structure, so maybe a normal set and some planeswalking entity introducing a sliver invasion in Tarkhir? I believe when introducing the M14 slivers, it was mentioned that someone is manipulating slivers to their own ends, hence their altered look.
The Slivers are in M15 as an apology for how badly they were handled in M14, basically. Could show up in Khans block, but its unlikely, given the setting.

Yeef

Has there been anything to indicate or counterindicate that slivers might be present on this new upcoming plane?
The article that kicked off spoiler season basically says that slivers are only in M15 as a last-hurrah to fix the mistakes they made in M14 (the look and not having a sliver lord).

Slivers!

What? Weren't Slivers M14's thing? Yes, they were, but I didn't want people who made Sliver decks in M14 to never get any new toys to play with. Because Slivers don't reside on Theros, M15 was the only other chance we had to get new Slivers into Standard alongside Galerider Sliver, Predatory Sliver, and the rest of the M14 crew. There is a cycle of five uncommons, many of which play well on their own and are devastating in combination, as well as a new mythic rare Sliver that every Sliver aficionado has been waiting for.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Check another off the ol' milestone list. I successfully Banishing Light'd a turn 3 Emrakul. Opponent was a bit confused...heh.

bigkrev

The Slivers are in M15 as an apology for how badly they were handled in M14, basically. Could show up in Khans block, but its unlikely, given the setting.

It's not a full apology until we see an actual Sliver card and confirm they function like they should

WanderingWind

It's not a full apology until we see an actual Sliver card and confirm they function like they should

Ain't going to happen. But if they had thought about it, that could have made Slivers even more special in today's "everything must be the same thing" MtG world.

ultron87

Can you guys convince me why old symmetrical slivers are better for a reason besides "that is how it used to be"?

No arguments on the art, of course. (Though I would've been okay if it turned out the new slivers were Phyrexianized.)

Can you guys convince me why old symmetrical slivers are better for a reason besides "that is how it used to be"?

No arguments on the art, of course. (Though I would've been okay if it turned out the new slivers were Phyrexianized.)

It adds comedy when you lose to your own sliver abilities after the mutavault in your opponent's merfolk deck swings for lethal.

WanderingWind

It would have put a unique spin on the mirror matches, I guess. The art was the big offender to me. They took something iconic, smashed it through a committee and then insulted the audience that loves to do math for fun by saying "players relate better to things with arms. Also, we're just totally constrained by the progress of the arbitrary story that we make up as we go along. Plus, market research shows...."

Purely personally, I have a 2000+ card 'deck' that I play a custom format with that revolves around a shared library and graveyard. Having slivers be symmetrical provides a nice dynamic in that context.

For everyone else, I bet it's just a flavor thing. As Rosewater would probably say, slivers that only pump your guys doesn't seem as 'resonant'.

bigkrev

It's kind of an iconic thing. And while Slivers are mostly a casual thing, Slivers did win a Pro Tour. It's fine if you want to make a new creature type that can look different and behaves functionally different, but don't take an iconic Magic tribe and turn it into something that it wasn't. Hell, the story of Tempest involved Volrath making synthetic Slivers to steal the abilities of the hive!

I have insane nostalgia for when I was still learning how to play the game in 97, and getting a Metallic Sliver in a tempest pack that I could use against my friend's Slivers Precon deck. I would be fine if they never brought Slivers back, but because they did and fucked it up, I got pissed off.

Lucario

now I want to make a janky all-creatures sliver deck just so I can have this manabase:

4 Sliver Hive
4 Cavern of Souls
4 City of Brass
4 Ancient Ziggurat
4 Mutavault

Talking about the power of monoblack reminds me of the many comments about how mono black would never be a thing and to not even try to make it one. heh

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Someone passes me Yawgmoth's Bargain in pack two; never see a Dark Ritual.

WanderingWind

New New World Order needs to have the "Mythics must be fucking playable goddamnit" clause. You're asking a lot of money for the product, and when you introduce rarities, it's not absurd for people to expect the most awesome rarity of all should be at least playable.

And, as always, the first person to say anything about EDH gets a free slap.

EDIT: Rocket, please to send me your email address.

Grakl

New New World Order needs to have the "Mythics must be fucking playable goddamnit" clause. You're asking a lot of money for the product, and when you introduce rarities, it's not absurd for people to expect the most awesome rarity of all should be at least playable.

playable in what? standard?

mythics should just be cool, don't really care if they're playable in standard or not

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118051838]:-(

lilianavesskhjhm.jpg

bad planeswalker that gets hated on by another black rare printed in the same set, yay[/QUOTE]

That is fake.

It's just a photoshop Mythic Rare made based on the fact that Maro responded to that comment about Vess.

bigkrev

The only Mythics that were playable outside of EDH in the first set with them were the Planeswalkers http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/S...=visual&rarity=+[M]&set=+["Shards of Alara"] (Ignore Cruel Ultimatum, no idea why its on the list)

Sometimes you get massive hits like Mirroden Besieged, where 8/10 Mythics were playable, but its not very common for a set to have a majority of it's mythics be playable.

WanderingWind

playable in what? standard?

mythics should just be cool, don't really care if they're playable in standard or not

Yes. Playable in the format that is by far the most played. I would wiggle on draft mythics too, but my feeling is those should be rare to keep the format less swingy. "Cool" and "playable" are not mutually exclusive. They can be both.

kirblar

Vess is on the Toy Box and other marketing materials, so its been all but confirmed for a while. Not like he was spoiling anything major.

Mythics should be impressive and worth the "Mythic" tag in some way. Not Vengevine/VOR-type 4x value cards.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118051838]:-(

http://abload.de/img/lilianavesskhjhm.jpg[/IMG

bad planeswalker that gets hated on by another black rare printed in the same set, yay[/QUOTE]
Downfall?

Yeef

Fun Fact: Mythics are only very slightly more rare than rares used to be before mythics existed. All other rarities are basically just more common than they used to be.

Also, for constructed players, rares being stronger than mythics means that the cost of building a deck goes way down.

("Playable" is also highly subjective and meta-dependent)

Angry Grimace

Vess is on the Toy Box and other marketing materials, so its been all but confirmed for a while. Not like he was spoiling anything major.

Mythics should be impressive and worth the "Mythic" tag in some way. Not Vengevine/VOR-type 4x value cards.

They should have just made a new Liliana that's 4 CMC. 5 CMC PW are rarely all that playable unless they have bomb abilities.

kirblar

They should have just made a new Liliana that's 4 CMC. 5 CMC PW are rarely all that playable unless they have bomb abilities.
They probably didn't have time. They were making 4 others, and wouldn't have the art ready for a new one by the time they figured out that Thoughtseize + LOTV in Standard was a problem combined with all the other good black removal and Waste Not.

OnPoint

They probably didn't have time. They were making 4 others, and wouldn't have the art ready for a new one by the time they figured out that Thoughtseize + LOTV in Standard was a problem combined with all the other good black removal and Waste Not.

I would have liked more, but I still think she could be OK in a black denial/discard shell.

Start with a backbone of this:

Thoughtseize
Brain Maggot
Waste Not
Doom Blade/Bile Blight
Hero's Downfall
Erebos
Liliana Vess

Herald of Torment is a good creature for something like this IMO. Gary could work.

You could get spicy and add something like Master of the Feast or Dictate of Erebos, go heavy on the discard with Mind Rot...

Just thoughts...

WanderingWind

As much as I dislike EDH, I've seen enough of it played to know this is not true.

I mean, it is though. The format was created because people wanted to play with their collection of cards. It's an unlimited format where anything, save for the few banned cards, is available to be put into a deck. The entire meta is one of brewing, which is why literally every card spoiled since the creation of the format will have 8 people (NO MORE NO LESS) saying "Oh, sweet, can't wait to try it in my EDH deck." So, saying "Well, that 9 mana take an extra turn card is totally sweet in my Zur deck" is the "Simpsons did it" of MtG,

Image.ashx

An example of a card playable in Standard, but unplayable in EDH

lol. sligh aggro is like, the first EDH deck everybody builds after their tribal deck of choice. (zombies thx)

Angry Grimace

They have like a billion pictures of Lilliana sitting around. In fact, it was lazy as fuck to just reuse the M11 art if that's what they do.

As much as I dislike EDH, I've seen enough of it played to know this is not true.

EDH is just people getting mad at each other for playing unfun mean spirited combos while doing the same thing.

Yeef

I mean, it is though. The format was created because people wanted to play with their collection of cards. It's an unlimited format where anything, save for the few banned cards, is available to be put into a deck. The entire meta is one of brewing, which is why literally every card spoiled since the creation of the format will have 8 people (NO MORE NO LESS) saying "Oh, sweet, can't wait to try it in my EDH deck." So, saying "Well, that 9 mana take an extra turn card is totally sweet in my Zur deck" is the "Simpsons did it" of MtG,
By that logic you can also say it's 'playable' in legacy, vintage, modern and standard.

Again, playability is super meta-dependent. I've seen EDH groups that have ultra-tuned decks that can win pretty quickly and consistently and I've seen EDH groups that have "throw everything in a pile and just have fun" decks. Likewise, there are plenty of people who play standard with subpar decks and do well, because everyone else in their meta is also using subpar decks. In competitive EDH (for lack of a better term) there are plenty of cards that are unplayable.

Angry Grimace

Well, did my last VMA draft. As usual, I lost badly and got nothing of value.

Maybe I'll hit one last one up before they stop running them, but otherwise its just a huge money sink. Just buying the Power 9 is a better use of your money, really.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
EDH as a format exists because of all of the cool or interesting card designs that just aren't playable in a more competitive deck. There are a lot of fun cards that you just can't play if you're playing against that guy who runs the latest Modern/Standard/Vintage dominant deck

Top Bottom