• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
By that logic you can also say it's 'playable' in legacy, vintage, modern and standard.

Again, playability is super meta-dependent. I've seen EDH groups that have ultra-tuned decks that can win pretty quickly and consistently and I've seen EDH groups that have "throw everything in a pile and just have fun" decks. Likewise, there are plenty of people who play standard with subpar decks and do well, because everyone else in their meta is also using subpar decks. In competitive EDH (for lack of a better term) there are plenty of cards that are unplayable.

Uh, no. Unless you just take the weirdest possible interpretation, it does not follow. Yes, technically you can put anything into a legacy deck. But unless you're absolutely unaware of what the legacy format actually entails, there really shouldn't be any confusion between the different formats. Commander is a casual, non-officially sanctioned format that was created by fans, for fans. Again, it's not a knock on it. I have like, 8 different commander decks.

...and yes, if your local meta is 100 percent graveyard hate, then anything zombie may not be playable. Again, this is really a semantic argument of the worst kind. You know darn well the difference between a playable card and an unplayable one. Commander is factually, unequivocally the Magic format that allows for the greatest range of actually playable cards.

JulianImp

Talking about Commander, it reminds me how I wish there was an active community for it at my LGS. Still, I'm the kind of guy who downright refuses to play tutors in EDH because I feel it defeats the point of the format, which'd probably put me at a big disadvantage if I ever started playing.

All this also reminds me how it's been about two months since I last set foot on my LGS. I guess I'll try to attend the M15 prerelease for a change, but I guess I'm back to lurking in the Magic community until I have more time and money to spend on the game.

Yeef

Commander is factually, unequivocally the Magic format that allows for the greatest range of actually playable cards.
I don't disagree with that.

What I disagree with is:
EDH is literally the format where anything is playable. That's the entire point of the format.
There are plenty of cards that are just plain bad in EDH. Because of the high variance of the format, you might be able to get away with running a couple of them, but if you have a deck that's filled with them, odds are you're going to lose a lot, unless your opponents' decks are equally de-tuned.

WanderingWind

Okay, well agree to disagree, I suppose. Nothing you're saying is swaying me and I'm not moving you, so it's just not going to go anywhere.

Friends?

SIKE IMMA PLAY MY LANDS IN FRONT WHEN WE PLAY NEXT SON

Firemind

Talking about Commander, it reminds me how I wish there was an active community for it at my LGS. Still, I'm the kind of guy who downright refuses to play tutors in EDH because I feel it defeats the point of the format, which'd probably put me at a big disadvantage if I ever started playing.

All this also reminds me how it's been about two months since I last set foot on my LGS. I guess I'll try to attend the M15 prerelease for a change, but I guess I'm back to lurking in the Magic community until I have more time and money to spend on the game.

Play Strangehold breh.

JulianImp

Play Strangehold breh.

If you meant the card, it's nearly impossible for me to get since nobody has Commander product, and I won't be ordering a single card from the internet. If you're talking about a variant of regular Commander, the biggest issue I currently have is that my LGS doesn't even have a Commaner community to start with, so trying to play a sub-format would make finding a playgroup even harder.

For my Prossh Commander deck.

Hello little 2/3 Kobolds.

Obelisk-of-Urd-M15-Visual-Spoilers.jpg

Firemind

Supersizing kobolds into kird apes.

Caleb Durward made a standard U/R devotion video. I must play this deck in the upcoming GP. It is my destiny.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So, if I was playing Mono U in Standard right now, I'd throw one or two of those into the deck for shits and giggles with Master of Wave.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So, if I was playing Mono U in Standard right now, I'd throw one or two of those into the deck for shits and giggles with Master of Wave.

Hall of Triumph is played in some Mono U lists.

Haly

Yeah, I mean, if your devotion to blue is 5, you can cast Master of Waves and then Convoke this thing out for "free" immediately. So OP. :)

4 is enough, since I assume you're getting that UUU from at least one other creature.

Other creature + Master + 4 Elementals + This.

MAGIC CHRISTMASLAND FOR ALL.

Haly

Wait, can you tap creatures with summoning sickness for convoke?

Sure, it's part of a cost, and not the tap symbol kind, so it's not affected by summoning sickness.

I mean, that's how Elfball works!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I believe I heard that one out of every 53 packs contain a "Special Rarity" card, so since Lotus is one of nine, that means that 0.21% of packs contain a Black Lotus.

Ugh, I can't even trade a pack for a Lotus because they're that rare? T_T

Wizards, Y U DO THIS to digital!? D:

(Yes, yes, I get it: So everyone and their mother doesn't have a Power 9)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ugh, I can't even trade a pack for a Lotus because they're that rare? T_T

Wizards, Y U DO THIS to digital!? D:

(Yes, yes, I get it: So everyone and their mother doesn't have a Power 9)

I pulled a Lotus and sold it at the bottom barrel price before it doubled. =/

I'm slowly picking up power when I get the money to do so. So far only have Mox Jet, Emerald, Ancestral Recall and Timetwister. Lotus is going to be the pain rebuying since it's 3x every other one.

Sure, it's part of a cost, and not the tap symbol kind, so it's not affected by summoning sickness.

I mean, that's how Elfball works!

My entire life has been a lie.

Looks like I owe my wife an apology about "correcting" her when she was Glare of Subdual-ing all my guys.

Haly

Looks like I owe my wife an apology about "correcting" her when she was Glare of Subdual-ing all my guys.

LOL.

Yeah, better take her out to dinner too. You just scum-rulebook'd Ghazi-Glare, which won Worlds in 2005.

Oh man. Yeah, chocolates, flowers, dinner - whatever she's into. You dun goofed.

Summoning sickness only affects attacking and abilities on that card with the actual "Tap" symbol. Anything else that taps things as a cost (for example, Black Oak of Odunos in Born of the Gods) doesn't care if that thing has summoning sickness or not.

Also, I'm sad that Glare of Subdual isn't a thing in Modern. That card is sweet.

red13th

A ghetto Ghazi-Glare was the first actual deck I built after my huge break (Masques-Ravnica). I built one because I bought the Selesnya precon and I had tons of fun with it. When Guildpact was released I built Gruul aggro and UG Snakes which used no actual Simic cards (it was a blast to play, lots of nifty interactions).
I still have those three decks mostly intact. Ravnica was so good.

http://i.imgur.com/OeGniCD.jpg

Translated:

Ajani Unyielding 3W
+1: Up to one target creature you control gets +1/+1, First Strike, and Vigilance until end of turn.
-2: Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control. Put a loyalty counter on each other planeswalker you control
-7: You get an emblem that says "Prevent all but 1 damage from any source that would deal damage to you or a Planeswalker you control."

Starting Loyalty: 4

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Translated (lots of people disagreeing on the proper translations here):

Ajani the Resolute 3W
+1: Put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature you control. It gains First Strike and Lifelink until end of turn.
-2: Put a +1/+1 counter on all creatures you control, then put a loyalty counter on all other planeswalkers you control
-7: You get an emblem that says "If you or a planeswalker you control would take damage, prevent all but 1 of that damage"

The fuck? This seems pretty good

I definitely like Ajani in a Bant shell with Kiora. Ramp to Krakens. You could potentially have Turn 6 Krakens with no other ramp, just getting to 4 land.

Edit: Turn 6 Krakens and a still alive Kiora, also, if I'm doing my math right. (Nope, she's still dead on second thought. Still. Krakens are nice.)

The Ajani translation seems to be fixed now. Mostly the same, although the +1 now reads "+1: Up to one target creature you control gets +1/+1, First Strike, and Vigilance until end of turn."

Crocodile

Translated:

Ajani Unyielding 3W
+1: Up to one target creature you control gets +1/+1, First Strike, and Vigilance until end of turn.
-2: Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control. Put a loyalty counter on each other planeswalker you control
-7: You get an emblem that says "Prevent all but 1 damage from any source that would deal damage to you or a Planeswalker you control."

Some translations I've seen add Lifelink to the first ability and others have the Emblem only apply to your Planeswalkers. I'm going to wait until I see this in English to comment on the card.

Some translations I've seen add Lifelink to the first ability and others have the Emblem only apply to your Planeswalkers. I'm going to wait until I see this in English to comment on the card.

This translation comes from Riki Hayashi, so I tend to believe it.

EDIT: Reddit insists Riki was wrong. So...who knows?

As translated, that Ajani seems terrible. No way to protect himself, possibly the worst ultimate we've seen so far.

Something about this guy strikes me as being better than he seems.

I mean, what relevant three-drops would you want that ability for? It's pretty uneventful on Brimaz or Flamespeaker since they still won't be able to attack through most good 4-drops like poly-k or ddemon. I guess giving Agent of the fates vigilance and first strike is ok.

It doesn't seem like there are any spoilers in M15 yet where that ability makes sense, and the minus ability seems too slow for white weenies and too low impact for superfriends.

WanderingWind

All the translations I'm seeing say lifelink. In any event, it's a low cost, easily splashed PW that does stuff to the battlefield right away. The minus ability absolutely has the ability to just win games. He'll see play for sure.

Top Bottom