• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wonder whether my deck would be better or worse if I took out the Fabled Hero's and replaced them with Brimaz and Ajani COP.

Right now the creature list is:

3 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Dryad Militant
4 Fleecemane Lion
4 Voice of Resurgence
4 Fabled Hero
1 Fencing Ace
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager

and a bunch of spells.

But I feel like Brimaz dodges Magma Jet and Lightning Strike and I almost never would put 2 Hero's out at once anyways, and Ajani would let me swing for double strike flight damage.

Also, WOTC trolling fans that LOTV not in the set by commissioning more artwork in her Innistrad stripper outfit:

HKcJW81.png

A bit odd to call that a stripper outfit when her outfit in Liliana Vess shows more skin. Anyway, that card looks really good.

Other spoilers, apparently because the intro decks are already being shipped to stores. Black Cat is getting a reprint, and there is also this common card:

Heliod's Pilgrim
2W
Creature - Human Cleric
When ~ EtB, search your library for an aura, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
1/2

I'm surprised they'd have a tutor card like that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A bit odd to call that a stripper outfit when her outfit in Liliana Vess shows more skin. Anyway, that card looks really good.

Other spoilers, apparently because the intro decks are already being shipped to stores. Black Cat is getting a reprint, and there is also this common card:

Heliod's Pilgrim
2W
Creature - Human Cleric
When ~ EtB, search your library for an aura, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
1/2

All of her outfits are stripper outfits because she is Liliana. At least its justified by her storyline, I guess.

Angry Grimace

Just to troll you, they're going to bring back Dwarven Demolition Team.

Heliod's Pilgrim
2W
Creature - Human Cleric
1/2

I don't think he's relevant in constructed, but I hope he's uncommon. It could be fun to have a creature in my cube that could tutor for Rancor, or one of the Curses, or a Pacifism effect.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think he's relevant in constructed, but I hope he's uncommon. It could be fun to have a creature in my cube that could tutor for Rancor, or one of the Curses, or a Pacifism effect.

If it was 2/2 I'd say for sure it's uncommon, 1/2 could go either way.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Was going to complain that that is a toad and not a frog, but apparently they errata'd it into a frog. Because I guess there's nothing more terrifying than frogs or something.

Yeef

Just got all the cards for my first version of my cube! I'm pretty excited to try it out.
You've began your journey on a long and harrowing path. Hurrah!
I have 3 different cubes. It seems like I'm always reworking them as new sets release and as I play them more. I've had to actively stop myself from spending too much time retooling them, because there are other things that are a better use of my time.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't hounds become dogs, too?
I think that I read something about older creature types becoming a more common or simpler form.

Next year foxes will become dogs and then wolves are dogs, then goats, oxes and horses are dogs, then beasts and centaur, and then eventually everything is a goddamn dog.

Yeef

Dog isn't a creature type.

Hound is.

We'll never see something like this, unfortunately:

Hive Dog {1RG}
Creature - Dog

When ~ attacks, put two 1/1 green Insect creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield tapped and attacking.

3/1

Dog isn't a creature type.

Hound is.

We'll never see something like this, unfortunately:

Hive Dog {1RG}
Creature - Dog

When ~ attacks, put two 1/1 green Insect creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield tapped and attacking.

3/1
lol. That's great.

So I had it backwards, a dog became a hound? I swear I read it, maybe on MaRos blog.

With a block and a half of spoilers left for next season, this already looks like the beginnings of a deck.

4 Hero of Leina Tower
4 Charging Badger
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Aspect of Hydra
2 Warrior's Lesson

4 Basara Tower Archer
4 Swordwise Centaur
4 Voyaging Satyr

1 Bow of Nylea

3 Nissa, Worldwaker

4 Hydra Broodmaster

4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Darksteel Citadel
16 Forests

Yeef

635393359079370097.png

A new Avacyn was the last thing I was expecting, but I suppose it sort of makes sense.

Her abilities actually feel more like Iona than Avacyn.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118280021]With a block and a half of spoilers left for next season, this already looks like the beginnings of a deck.

4 Hero of Leina Tower
4 Charging Badger
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Aspect of Hydra
2 Warrior's Lesson

4 Basara Tower Archer
4 Swordwise Centaur
4 Voyaging Satyr

1 Bow of Nylea

3 Nissa, Worldwaker

4 Hydra Broodmaster

4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Darksteel Citadel
16 Forests[/QUOTE]

I feel like you could fit Reverent Hunter in a devotion list. And why run Broodmaster over Polukranos?

New Avacyn looks...playable maybe?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
635393359079370097.png

A new Avacyn was the last thing I was expecting, but I suppose it sort of makes sense.

Her abilities actually feel more like Iona than Avacyn.

Huh...the cooler implication here is that they're going to be more aggressive about referencing other planes in core sets. I mean, M15 already kind of looked like that, but stuff like this actually excites me for what they'll do in the future

Huh...the cooler implication here is that they're going to be more aggressive about referencing other planes in core sets. I mean, M15 already kind of looked like that, but stuff like this actually excites me for what they'll do in the future

They're tying the set really closely together with DotP 2015, and that game is a sort of plane-hopping adventure with final bosses at the end of each one. Avacyn is the "final boss" of Innistrad.

new grisel plox
I feel like you could fit Reverent Hunter in a devotion list. And why run Broodmaster over Polukranos?

Reverent Hunter is just too slow for a creature with no evasion that only adds one devotion. I'd be better of with Mistcutter. There's a couple other borderline cards, mostly M15 anthem dudes/tutor effects but I want to keep the curve as solid as possible. Anthousa is another fun one with Citadel but it's probably too cute. And Boon Satyr is a total nonbo with Hero of Leina Tower.

Polukranos doesn't really fit in the deck. He's super efficient and midrangey, not something you ramp into. Broodmaster is a legitimate win condition that ends the game if you untap with him. That said, Polyk is a great dump off of Nissa if you have 4 forests.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118284533]new grisel plox

Reverent Hunter is just too slow for a creature with no evasion that only adds one devotion. I'd be better of with Mistcutter. There's a couple other borderline cards, mostly M15 anthem dudes/tutor effects but I want to keep the curve as solid as possible. Anthousa is another fun one with Citadel but it's probably too cute. And Boon Satyr is a total nonbo with Hero of Leina Tower.

Polukranos doesn't really fit in the deck. He's super efficient and midrangey, not something you ramp into. Broodmaster is a legitimate win condition that ends the game if you untap with him. That said, Polyk is a great dump off of Nissa if you have 4 forests.[/QUOTE]

That deck has no real plan to win other than just having devotion exist.

Griselbrand is dead btw. Lilliana killed him. That was why she was in Innistrad in the first place.

I didn't know death was a big deal in magic.

Griselbro
2BBBB
Flying
Pay six Life: Draw six cards
6/6
"Driven by rage, he seeks only to avenge his estranged twin." - Sorin
That deck has no real plan to win other than just having devotion exist.

Well, potential turn-3 Broodmaster nut draw is pretty ok. Consistently castable turn 4. Or the old Hero/Badger-aspect beat down. Or weenie rush with Bow of Nylea. Or pumping out 4/4s with Nissa.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118285643]I didn't know death was a big deal in magic.

Griselbro
2BBBB
Flying
Pay six Life: Draw six cards
6/6
"Driven by rage, he seeks only to avenge his estranged twin." - Sorin

Well, potential turn-3 Broodmaster nut draw is pretty ok. Consistently castable turn 4. Or the old Hero/Badger-aspect beat down. Or weenie rush with Bow of Nylea. Or pumping out 4/4s with Nissa.[/QUOTE]

You might as well just run Worldspine Wurm and M14 Garruk.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118286045]I think you missed the part where I was only using non-rotating cards. But I do love that combo.[/QUOTE]

Why even bother then? We have no clue what is in Khans.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118286045]I think you missed the part where I was only using non-rotating cards. But I do love that combo. Or garruk into Archetype of Endurance. Ramp to 6, cheat to 8 is a classic green strategy.[/QUOTE]

I've been wanting to do this in Modern, but never got around to it. Hierarch, Birds, etc. Early Garruk, drop a Progenitus. GG, game two?

Angry Grimace

Permanent Forcefield for you and your planeswalkers and "gain 100 life" aren't all that different in practical terms, though I think the former is a little better.

New Ajani's ultimate is the working, non stupid version of the same idea.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118286045]I think you missed the part where I was only using non-rotating cards. But I do love that combo. Or garruk into Archetype of Endurance. Ramp to 6, cheat to 8 is a classic green strategy.[/QUOTE]

Don't give Bigkrev a heart attack with that Archetype talk.

Also, I wonder if mono white devotion could work. You could actually use Avacyn's ability if you had a bunch of white devotion on the board and there's a lot of tools for making big token armies even in white by itself now (Brimaz, Heliod, Elspeth) not to mention using Brave the Elements as a finisher.

Really surprised to see a new Avacyn.

... And I'm also pretty annoyed. I prefer to see Mothership spoilers for the first time in their articles, and I even checked after 12 AM EST for any updates, but it looks like they updated at 12:30 AM EST or something.

Angry Grimace

Is that the MythicSpoiler version? They've mocked that up for days now; did it get officially confirmed?

EDIT: Yep, I see she was officially confirmed in today's Arcana.

Which will finally stop dumbass Reddit from insisting there isn't a Garruk card since it explicitly says "we will show you Garruk on Monday."

Angry Grimace

That picture of Sarkhan they've been using for Khans of Tarkir is apparently titled, "Sarkhan, the Dragon's Voice." I wonder if that's going to be the card name?

Oh, and that shitty Magic Online V4 client? It's going to be the only way you can play MTGO starting July 16th. Get your popcorn ready.

In exchange, everybody on MTGO gets one free M15 pre-release...hooray...

Top Bottom