• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh, and that shitty Magic Online V4 client? It's going to be the only way you can play MTGO starting July 16th. Get your popcorn ready.

In exchange, everybody on MTGO gets one free M15 pre-release...hooray...

I'm really happy that prices will go down for no apparent reason only to come back when people realize that they can't draft in their underwear at 4 am at the LGS.

That picture of Sarkhan they've been using for Khans of Tarkir is apparently titled, "Sarkhan, the Dragon's Voice." I wonder if that's going to be the card name?
I hope so, sounds cool.

Sarkhan, the Dragon's Voice
4RB
+2 Put a put a 2/2 red dragon token with flying and haste onto the battlefield. It has "R: this creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn."
-3 Gain control of target creature. It gains haste. Sacrifice it at end of turn.
-9 You get an emblem that says "Whenever a creature you control attacks, it deals damage equal to its power to target creature or player."
[4]

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If its anything like Sarkhan the Mad it will be like this:

Sarkhan, the Dragon's Voice

0: Sarkhan, the Dragon's Voice deals 4 damage to itself.
-2: Sarkhan, the Dragon's Voice deals 4 damage to you and 4 damage to itself.
-X: X is the total number of loyalty counters on Sarkhan, the Dragon's Voice. Destroy X creatures you control.

[5]

Almost every time they experiment with Planeswalkers and try to push the boundaries, they screw it up. Badly.

"What if his loyalty only went down, not up?"
"What if he had four abilities?"
"What if he only cost two mana?"

God's Beard!";118294016][URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88854140&postcount=11454 said:
What if he only cost one mana?[/URL]

I'd have stupid amounts of degenerate fun with that guy if he got printed. The +0 ability would be a riot with the new Ob Nixilis.

Am I crazy for being excited about a goddamn common?

70SEXrh.jpg

Finally a creature that bounces other creatures as an ETB effect like Man-O-War that isn't U. Going straight into my Animar EDH deck, dayum.

rCIZZLE

Oh, and that shitty Magic Online V4 client? It's going to be the only way you can play MTGO starting July 16th. Get your popcorn ready.

Even the MOCS promo for this month sucks. Geist of Saint Traft... ya not wasting my time in negative EV dailies for a card that'll be a few tickets.

Even the MOCS promo for this month sucks. Geist of Saint Traft... ya not wasting my time in negative EV dailies for a card that'll be a few tickets.

It's the WMCQ promo too; I have to imagine that when they were planning out the promo schedules, they thought that Geist would still be Modern relevant.

Turns out he isn't anymore.

bigkrev

In January, I started converting most of my collection to tickets and selling those off as the imminent death of MTGO is approaching. I still have some 20K cards on my account, most of which are draft fodder or Pauper staples. I'm thinking about selling the rest of my cards to something like MTGOTraders, but I still want to keep my account and Vanguard stuff to once in a while maybe play some Momir or MoJhoSto, or possibly some phantom special formats like cube

What I'm really curious about are the people who make videos as part of their living. Everyone uses MTGO v3 because the cards are unreadable in the Beta. Are videos going to dry up?

ultron87

Magic tournaments have made it really sad to me that the United States and Germany can't just intentionally and openly draw their way into the Top 8 16 of the World Cup today. I suppose the one difference here is that as a spectator event they can't have teams just walk off the field and not play.

bigkrev

MTGO has been dying every year since 2003. I look forward to watching it die for another 11 years.

This is actually real though. There are plenty of people who don't even have computers that will be able to run this- if you have a couple year old MacBook for example, I doubt you can run both Parallels and MTGO at the same time now..

Magic tournaments have made it really sad to me that the United States and Germany can't just intentionally and openly draw their way into the Top 8 16 of the World Cup today. I suppose the one difference here is that as a spectator event they can't have teams just walk off the field and not play.

This sort of happened before, and there would probably be hella repercussions on both teams if it were to happen again.

The new beta is the real reason I never play MODO. That shit is confusing as hell. All the videos I watch are on V3 and it just seems like a better organization of information.

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118330958]The new beta is the real reason I never play MODO. That shit is confusing as hell. All the videos I watch are on V3 and it just seems like a better organization of information.[/QUOTE]

This is my other issue with the new client- I am not putting money into something I don't understand how to use. It would be like installing an online Poker playing app where you didn't know what to click to check, only how to raise or fold.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Reddit is justifiably pissed

"Oh you don't like the V4 client? WELL FUCK YOU. CHANGE IS HARD, WE KNOW!"

If this means the userbase vanishes, Wizards will (hopefully?) have to give Magic Online to someone that can actually program and UI it to be functional.
And maybe not charge $2 more/highway robbery tax for digital cards

Angry Grimace

By all means, quit MODO so I can get cheaper cards for when you inevitably come back. "I'm quitting MODO forever" is the most impotent threat ever, but also fortuitous for those of us who just figured out how to use the beta client.

No seriously, I want you guys to explain what it is you can't figure out on the V4 client.

They are about to lose a lot of money.

The client's sluggishness and inability to be run on lower-end systems is a real issue.

I run the beta client on my barebones 5 year old work computer with no problems. Its an illusory problem.

rCIZZLE

No seriously, I want you guys to explain what it is you can't figure out on the V4 client.

During the beta spotlight, I lost a game because the client refused to highlight any lands I selected when resolving Scapeshift. It's been in beta mode for a couple years right? Definitely shouldn't have glaring problems like that at this point.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I was playing a 2-man, and when I went to select my deck, an image of Beelzebub popped up on my screen and ordered me to kill everybody with the letter Q in their name. Definitely too buggy to be released as a final client.

I'm not quitting, I was never a user to begin with. All those little windows popping up for every little thing is just the worst. Especially the preview window. Why not just have the cards grow? And what's the point of the red zone other than making everything unreadable? And the UI looks like a korean f2p MMO from 2006.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118339874]I'm not quitting, I was never a user to begin with. All those little windows popping up for every little thing is just the worst. Especially the preview window. Why not just have the cards grow? And what's the point of the red zone other than making everything unreadable? And the UI looks like a korean f2p MMO from 2006.[/QUOTE]

I don't use the preview window. If I want to know what a card does, I just right click on it and read the text.

The windows that pop up can be fixed in places you like now, too, so your Courser window will always show up in the same place, etc.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118342394]I've been using the free play area off and on to get a sense of how modo works, but it's hard when half the people won't even finish a game.[/QUOTE]

The Tournament Practice room is a lot better for getting people who actually want to play full games.

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118345460]"Fuck the old client fans, fuck XP users, here's a free prerelease draft so shut up already"[/QUOTE]

I worked PA/marketing for roughly 6 years and I was responsible for an AO that greatly outnumbers the MTGO client base. If I had ever written something so condescending as...

"We also acknowledge that change is hard, that we still have work to do, and that some players simply do not want to get used to a new Magic Online look and feel. We sincerely hope that these players will see that mid and long term benefits will be much greater than the short term adjustment phase."

...I would have never found work in the field again. There is absolutely no room for snark in public communications, especially when you're pushing through a product that has received so much negative feedback. I understand that a great number of WotC's clients are in fact, children, but they have to know by now that an even greater number are not. Treating people who are PAYING you for running a beta test on a product like infants incapable of separating dislike of change from legitimate concerns is beyond worrisome.

And MaRo, as good of a ambassador as he is, has taken this tone more and more with recent podcasts. In particular, the entire episode he did on things fans have complained about was dripping with this attitude. I had chalked that up to just simple frustration with being the forward face of the company, but at this point and on the heels of their response to the Chicago debacle, it appears to be systemic.

This company appears to have zero respect for their clients.

Angry Grimace

I worked PA/marketing for roughly 6 years and I was responsible for an AO that greatly outnumbers the MTGO client base. If I had ever written something so condescending as...

"We also acknowledge that change is hard, that we still have work to do, and that some players simply do not want to get used to a new Magic Online look and feel. We sincerely hope that these players will see that mid and long term benefits will be much greater than the short term adjustment phase."

...I would have never found work in the field again. There is absolutely no room for snark in public communications, especially when you're pushing through a product that has received so much negative feedback. I understand that a great number of WotC's clients are in fact, children, but they have to know by now that an even greater number are not. Treating people who are PAYING you for running a beta test on a product like infants incapable of separating dislike of change from legitimate concerns is beyond worrisome.

And MaRo, as good of a ambassador as he is, has taken this tone more and more with recent podcasts. In particular, the entire episode he did on things fans have complained about was dripping with this attitude. I had chalked that up to just simple frustration with being the forward face of the company, but at this point and on the heels of their response to the Chicago debacle, it appears to be systemic.

They make millions selling pieces of cardboard and imaginary digital property. Their entire fanbase is basically crack addicts.

Maledict

They'd have a lot more if they actually made a piece of software that wasn't an absolute dogs dinner.

At this point, there has to be something deliberate about it. 4 different versions and each one is truly, truly awful. How come a company like Wizards can't put together a half decent piece of software, whereas a small time company like Decipher was able to get a far superior online client into place and working for LotRO years ago?

It's a shockingly bad piece of software.

kirblar

I totally understand MaRo's frustration, most players really don't understand what "they" want isn't necessarily what's good for the health of the game, or that the game is structured around being intentionally withholding.

WanderingWind

I totally understand MaRo's frustration, most players really don't understand what "they" want isn't necessarily what's good for the health of the game, or that the game is structured around being intentionally withholding.

To some extent, I agree. And considering he gets blamed for things he's not responsible for, I understand some of the frustration. But there is a line between being understandably frustrated at not being able to tell fans what is in store and the entire company - on all fronts - affecting a defensive posture that lays blame of internal failings on the expectations of said fans.

Yes, a segment of any clientele will be resistant to change. That is not a panacea to rub over any sore feelings received from negative feedback. More importantly, if you have that level of disdain for a portion of your paying customers, it's never a good idea to promote that as a matter of company policy. Of course the customer is not always right. But the corollary is that the customer is also not always an asshole.

WotC is sort of stuck in an echo chamber right now and they sort of need to refocus on customer service. The base product is fine, but nearly every aspect of their customer service is simply unacceptable from any sort of professional standpoint.

So, gee, M15 looks neat, eh?

This effect has existed for a while. See Kor Skyfisher or Emancipation Angel. You didn't miss the "you control" did you?

I am aware that the mechanic existed before, but Animar's colors are GRU and the cards you mentionned are white. As far as I know, the bouncing mechanic wasn't available for green before and for a single G mana with Animar's cost reduction, hence my excitement for Invasive Species.

Crocodile

I think part of it is that vocal parts of the fanbase have complained about things that turn out (even within the span or weeks/months) to be total non-issues or even POSITIVES for the game that parts of of the company have been desensitized to criticism (which is bad of course I'm not trying to argue otherwise). That being said, different parts of the company respond to critics in different ways. Organized Play for example tends to be VERY responsive to the player base as opposed to the digital team which seemingly wouldn't budge even if you held a gun to their heads.

Top Bottom