• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I think part of it is that vocal parts of the fanbase have complained about things that turn out (even within the span or weeks/months) to be total non-issues or even POSITIVES for the game that parts of of the company have been desensitized to criticism (which is bad of course I'm not trying to argue otherwise). That being said, different parts of the company respond to critics in different ways. Organized Play for example tends to be VERY responsive to the player base as opposed to the digital team which seemingly wouldn't budge even if you held a gun to their heads.

All true.

Image.ashx

Not the same thing. I want to bounce things in succession to build up Animar's counters so that I can pump bigger creatures for 0 or 1 mana ASAP. This only lets me bounce back 1 creature per turn. Also that cost is terrible for the deck.

10402917_10154252122925307_7777194824055445701_n.png

Well, I guess Kithkins really are going to be a thing again. My friend has a really annoying deck based around this guy, so it's interesting to see him.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Playing Brave Cats seems way better than the other Brave Naya lists I've seen. Basically I just sideboarded a Boros Charm for 2x Ajani COP and removed Fabled Hero entirely to make way for 3x Brimaz. So far it just seems better - Brimaz doesn't brick to Anger of the Gods, can block and has positive synergy with Voice tokens and the deck is far less beholden to praying for a Fabled Hero combo finish.

I know some people don't like Boros charm at all in the deck, but I really like the way it can push through the last 4 points of damage for a kill.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Is it wrong to already miss Innistrad? I just saw some Lili art from that block and I got all nostalgic and shit. It was like, 2 years ago!

Playing NBrave Kitties seems way better than the other Brave Naya lists I've seen. Basically I just sideboarded Boros Charm for Ajani COP and removed Fabled Hero entirely to make way for Brimaz. So far it just seems better - Brimaz doesn't brick to Anger of the Gods, can block and has positive synergy with Voice tokens and the deck is far less beholden to praying for a Fabled Hero combo finish.

What's that list look like?

I did a report on WotC for a business class last year and from the research I did, it definitely seems like they don't really know what they're doing when it comes to people relations. Their internal structure is a mess and everyone is resistant to change. They're all looking out for themselves and supposedly the environment is shitty to work in.

No surprise that that set of problems would spill over into public relations, too.

kirblar

I did a report on WotC for a business class last year and from the research I did, it definitely seems like they don't really know what they're doing when it comes to people relations. Their internal structure is a mess and everyone is resistant to change. They're all looking out for themselves and supposedly the environment is shitty to work in.

No surprise that that set of problems would spill over into public relations, too.
The GlassDoor reviews have been "R&D? Awesome! Rest of it? not so much."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is it wrong to already miss Innistrad? I just saw some Lili art from that block and I got all nostalgic and shit. It was like, 2 years ago!

What's that list look like?

Pretty similar to the regular Brave Naya list:

Lands

1 Plains
4 Mana Confluence
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Plenty
1 Temple of Abandon

Creatures

4 Dryad Militant
3 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Voice of Resurgence
4 Fleecemane Lion
3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
1 Keening Apparition (which I'm thinking of swapping out for Precinct Captain)

Spells

2 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
4 Selesnya Charm
2 Boros Charm (which might turn into more Precinct Captains)
3 Giant Growth
4 Brave the Elements

Even just tapping one creature makes it better than Char, which saw play, and it doesn't trigger Eidolon of the Great Revel, even if you tap it for convoke. Great card.

EDIT: Ooh, and Satyr Firedancer! Tap, 2R: Deal 4 damage to target player and target creature that player controls.

Angry Grimace

Usually there's at least one card I'm interested in preordering....

Did any card from Magic 2014 make any kind of splash? The big cards in M14 were Archangel and Kalonian Hydra, neither of which made a tremendous dent in Standard, really.

But I do agree nothing looks terribly exciting on the Mythic and Rare side of things. There's a cycle of 6 Mythics which are all bulk jank and so far all of the Planeswalkers are casual cards again. There's only room for three other mythics, one of which turned out to be bad Oblivion Stone.

kirblar

There just wasn't the depth of material there to make the setting work. Gothic horror is incredibly broad, isn't tied to specific characters beyond a few iconics and thus can be reinvented and reinterpreted in many, many ways. Greek Mythology is not like that at all. It's incredibly specific and chained to a legacy, and it's something which the audience is likely not all that familiar with other than the broad tropes.

They needed to push harder, push deeper, twist it. By being so slavishly authentic, they made something really boring. So many returning mechanics, so many cards that are just re-done older cards (lol2-3splintertwinvariants.) Magic works best when it pushes into new territory- RTR/Scars definitely did that despite being returning settings. Theros did not.

noquarter

By all means, quit MODO so I can get cheaper cards for when you inevitably come back. "I'm quitting MODO forever" is the most impotent threat ever, but also fortuitous for those of us who just figured out how to use the beta client.

No seriously, I want you guys to explain what it is you can't figure out on the V4 client.

I run the beta client on my barebones 5 year old work computer with no problems. Its an illusory problem.
All the windows popping up is pretty shitty. Finding a match is a pain compared to how it used to be (looking in the different rooms) since you have no idea how many people are in a room. You sort of have to start your own match and hope someone runs into you.

The preview window is dumb. I think you might be able to integrate it into the main window, so will try that. Otherwise, when you right click it only tells you what the card can currently do. An example is on leveling cards, you can't right click and see what the cards do at different levels.

Too much dead space. Looking at the Trade page, almost a third of the screen is wasted on your post, even if you don't want to post anything. The red section on the battlefield, what is that for if there aren't any global enchantments. Even if there are, why have that, one player will still control the card.

When viewing a hand to discard something, the tile the cards like they are land instead of spreading them out so you can actually see them. Usually you wont have more than 8 cards in hand ever, so why default to the old searching a deck interface?

This is my basic complaints from just one match today after reinstalling it to try it again. Will probably get more if I spend more than one hour with it and playing more than one match. Will also probably start to look past some of these as well.

Also, the shuffler is still broken :p

Angry Grimace

Hey now, card no. 249 is a land that starts with U-Z. I'm sure its gonna be Wasteland guys!

Top Bottom