• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

Ok guys so I'm running a Gatecrash White/Black Deck revolving around Ghost Council. What I'm finding out the hard way is that my deck is lethal but the deck speed is slow as shit and I'm getting crushed before I can even start Extorting people. What are some good White or Black singles I can look for at a comic store to help my deck out? I would give the deck layout but I'm getting ready to go to bed.
Run B/W Zombies, imo.

Hero

Kibler twice F6'd IRL by having a judge watch while he went to the bathroom. Conley played the deck and apologized to his opponents (and called for a ban on twitter.) And it won the tournament.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gpsd13/day1#11

Deck's got the Sensei's top problem.

That sounds absolutely ridiculous and obnoxious. I haven't seen the deck in action since it won a GP or whatever sometime last year, how often does an Eggs player's turn usually last?

kirblar

That sounds absolutely ridiculous and obnoxious. I haven't seen the deck in action since it won a GP or whatever sometime last year, how often does an Eggs player's turn usually last?
Most turns? Minute or less.

Turn they go off? 10+?

Kibler twice F6'd IRL by having a judge watch while he went to the bathroom. Conley played the deck and apologized to his opponents (and called for a ban on twitter.) And it won the tournament.

Deck's got the Sensei's top problem.

To be more specific: he actually wrote "F6" on a piece of paper and put in the view of the camera before leaving.

It's actually worse than Sensei's Divining Top, as your opponent at least gets to do stuff in between your Top activations. With Eggs, once your opponent starts going, you just have to either concede or watch the table for 10 minutes. It's completely non-interactive.

If you ban Second Sunrise, you remove the 3cc recursion effect, and you force the deck to find one of four cards each time it recycles rather than one of eight. It goes back to being a fringe deck that can't put up consistent results, and the problem should go away.

It's a shame, actually, because the deck is cool. I like quirky combo decks, but decks that win by playing solitaire for 10-15 minutes are just bad for the game.

Hero

Most turns? Minute or less.

Turn they go off? 10+?

Sounds pretty bad and I'm impatient even with stuff like High Tide.

To be more specific: he actually wrote "F6" on a piece of paper and put in the view of the camera before leaving.

It's actually worse than Sensei's Divining Top, as your opponent at least gets to do stuff in between your Top activations. With Eggs, once your opponent starts going, you just have to either concede or watch the table for 10 minutes. It's completely non-interactive.

If you ban Second Sunrise, you remove the 3cc recursion effect, and you force the deck to find one of four cards each time it recycles rather than one of eight. It goes back to being a fringe deck that can't put up consistent results, and the problem should go away.

It's a shame, actually, because the deck is cool. I like quirky combo decks, but decks that win by playing solitaire for 10-15 minutes are just bad for the game.

Yeah it clearly needs to be neutered. Don't blame Kibler for doing what he did.

The people at the SCG legacy open really fucking loved that delver deck. Must be trying to sell us geists now.

Finals game 1. At life at 4. Opponent at 20.

Brainstorm, Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame (met by Spell Pierce, countering it), Rite of Flame, fetchland fail-to-find (to try to bait out Stifle), Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, and Burning Wish. Burning Wish found Past in Flame, which Bryant then cast. Rite of Flame met opponent’s Daze, but Dark Ritual in response allowed Bryant to pay for Daze. Another Dark Ritual (flashed back, as were all of the spells now), Duress (taking Stifle), Rite of Flame, Gitaxian Probe (going to 1), playing Lion’s Eye Diamond right off the top and broken for three blue mana, Ponder into Lion’s Eye Diamond (adding another three blue), Gitaxian Probe (paying mana), Cabal Therapy naming Swords to Plowshares, Burning Wish for Grapeshot.

Storm for 21, one damage targeting Vendilion Clique and twenty targeting opponent.

But the delver deck is the fun one. Right...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yea I like the idea of the deck, but it really is just absolutely miserable to play against or watch.

I really liked that U/W/R legacy deck in the finals. If my Geists weren't stolen I could build that deck actually.

BTW, that storm deck top decking lion's eye was the nut draw

y2dvd

Ok guys so I'm running a Gatecrash White/Black Deck revolving around Ghost Council. What I'm finding out the hard way is that my deck is lethal but the deck speed is slow as shit and I'm getting crushed before I can even start Extorting people. What are some good White or Black singles I can look for at a comic store to help my deck out? I would give the deck layout but I'm getting ready to go to bed.

Cartel Aristocrat seems like a must in B/W decks. Add Lingering Souls, Doomed Traveler, Champion of the Parish, Knight of Infamy to your deck. Extorting is pretty slow and probably not worth building around since it consumes your mana resource. I wouldn't know what to really run if you decided to go the B/W zombie route though.

Watched some of the online PT matches and a lot of players were missing the Evolve triggers. The casters even said more than half missed several triggers that would have changed the games outcome.

Cartel Aristocrat seems like a must in B/W decks. Add Lingering Souls, Doomed Traveler, Champion of the Parish, Knight of Infamy to your deck. Extorting is pretty slow and probably not worth building around since it consumes your mana resource. I wouldn't know what to really run if you decided to go the B/W zombie route though.

Watched some of the online PT matches and a lot of players were missing the Evolve triggers. The casters even said more than half missed several triggers that would have changed the games outcome.

That's crazy, if true. I remember drafting an Extort-heavy deck (Kingpin's Pet is my favorite limited card out of Gatecrash) and almost all of my plays revolved around getting maximum benefit off of Extort. Perhaps it's easier to miss when you're playing online.

My two friends played in the semi-final feature match (standard open) sunday morning. Unfortunately, I was up late and had to watch the replay. What are the chances?

JulianImp

That's crazy, if true. I remember drafting an Extort-heavy deck (Kingpin's Pet is my favorite limited card out of Gatecrash) and almost all of my plays revolved around getting maximum benefit off of Extort. Perhaps it's easier to miss when you're playing online.

Nah, since Magic Online automatically puts all triggers on the stack at the appropriate time. If anything, it makes it easier for you to remember the triggers when playing paper magic (unless you get too complacent with letting the game spot triggers for you).

I built an Eggs deck a few years ago (before Shadowmoor, I think), and I remember it was interesting to play, but not necesarily fun. Against aggro decks, both of us were basically goldfishing to see whether I could go off before my opponents dealt me the 20th point of damage. I retired the deck after a single tournament, since I hated the way it worked.

If they want to neuter it, they could simply remove one of the two Second Sunrise effects, or they could cripple it by banning Reshape, since Eggs rarely wants to play its Lotus Blooms through suspend.

On second thought, it all depends on whether they want the deck to remain slightly viable (ban Sunrise) or simply nuking it from orbit (ban Reshape). If they want to put an end to ten-minute turns, they'd have to ban the Blooms, but I don't think they should do that. Reshape's their best bet to make the deck play its Blooms fairly (as in: you'd barely be able to combo out with a Second Sunrise, a single Bloom, a Ghost Quarter, an Island and some cogs), but that'd probably kill it as well...

PsionBolt

After some deliberation, voted Land. I wanted to vote Enchantment after reading some people's opinions, but I wanted a real continuous thing - if it ended up being an Aura I would have regretted my vote.

ultron87

I imagine if enchantment wins one of the first choices would be "Aura or not". I can't see Aura winning that vote. Though some non-creature Auras could be cool.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Wizards probably just doesn't want to sift through 5000 "LOOK I MADE A FETCHLAND" submissions.

I was thinking the same thing. The had a winner. "Statistical" tie is BS...lol. Votes were counted, land won. "Do over" is bullshit.

So, what do we want the enchantment they've already made to say?

So now that Modern PTQ season is over, how long do you guys think it'll be before modern staples start seeing a price drop on MTGO? I've been needing to pick up some Cliques, Cryptics, and a few other things, but I've been holding off until PTQ season was done.

I was thinking the same thing. The had a winner. "Statistical" tie is BS...lol. Votes were counted, land won. "Do over" is bullshit.

All lands you control have "{T}, Pay 1 life, Sacrifice CARDNAME: Search your library for a Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain or Forest card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library."

Yeef

The other you make the cards had run-offs, too. The first had a 7 run-offs by my count:

One
Two

WanderingWind

All lands you control have "{T}, Pay 1 life, Sacrifice CARDNAME: Search your library for a Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain or Forest card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library."

Omni Fetch!

But, I get that runoffs are a thing. But when there is a winner, there is a winner. Trying to force what you want to happen is BS. It's an online poll. They don't need to worry about miscounted ballots.

ultron87

For this critical vote it really does make sense to make the winner need a majority. Otherwise almost 75 percent of the voters would start this whole process unhappy.

All lands you control have "{T}, Pay 1 life, Sacrifice CARDNAME: Search your library for a Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain or Forest card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library."

Fixed that for you. Because of Steppe Lynx and his bretheren.

Also, probably broken even with that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope it's as crazy stupid as Omniscience if it's an enchantment.

Something that just rocks my world.

I usually just buy locally, but here are online places I know exist (some are aggregates of multiple shops):

http://starcitygames.com (probably the most popular, but generally considered high)
http://tcgplayer.com (aggregate)
http://blackborder.com (agregate, but with their own shop, AdventureOn, integrated)
http://channelfireball.com
http://magictraders.com
http://coolstuffinc.com
http://trollandtoad.com
http://dacardowrld.com
http://abugames.com
http://mtgfanatic.com

Much appreciated!

Anyone have any thoughts on this Eldrazi deck?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-cruelty-of-the-eldrazi-gods/

So I've been playing Goblin tribal in Modern this week...

Holy shit if the deck isn't explosive. I need to jam a lot more with it, but the deck has some serious firepower. I usually push RB burn as the go-to entry-level Modern deck, but this is an order of magnitude cheaper and way more fun to play. Legion Loyalist and Foundry Street Denizen from Gatecrash are real cards, and the interaction between Mogg War Marshal and Denizen is truly nuts.

I'm testing out a number of different cards, so I have some strange one-ofs, but this is the list I'm on at the moment:

Modern Goblins said:
Creatures
4x Goblin Guide
4x Foundry Street Denizen
4x Legion Loyalist
4x Goblin Bushwhacker
1x Frenzied Goblin
1x Spikeshot Elder
1x Goblin Cohort
2x Krenko's Command (okay, technically not a creature, but it is)
4x Mogg War Marshal
4x Goblin Chieftain

Non-Creatures
4x Goblin Grenade (best card in the deck)
4x Lightning Bolt
3x Mutagenic Growth (worst card in the deck - looking for replacements)

Lands
20x Mountain

Sideboard
3x Combust (one of the most satisfying cards of all time to cast when playing red)
3x Shattering Spree (there's an argument for running Shattering Blow from Gatecrash instead as a way to cleanly deal with Wurmcoil Engine)
3x Dismember
2x Goblin Assault (WOG insurance)
2x Relic of Progenitus (graveyard insurance)
2x Traitorous Blood

WanderingWind

I talked about using Lighting Bolt in goblins and was laughed out of the thread. I totally agree with the way you've constructed your deck, though I disagree strongly with denizen being in there - especially 4 times. TBH, I would run an honorary goblin like Ash Zealot or go with more token makers. You definitely don't want auras in this deck (you know that though) because you want to kill your own shit to kill them. No need to 2-fer yourself.

I talked about using Lighting Bolt in goblins and was laughed out of the thread. I totally agree with the way you've constructed your deck, though I disagree strongly with denizen being in there - especially 4 times. TBH, I would run an honorary goblin like Ash Zealot or go with more token makers. You definitely don't want auras in this deck (you know that though) because you want to kill your own shit to kill them. No need to 2-fer yourself.

Denizen is quite good. A not unreasonable draw is something like T1 Denizen, T2 Legion Loyalist and Goblin Guide, for 6 damage T2. Mogg War Marshal and Krenko's Command both pump him up twice when you cast them, and Mogg War Marshal does it again the next turn. With Goblin Assault in the board, he's always attacking for 2. Sometimes you sandbag him for a Bushwhacker turn and just go off. He has always outperformed his reputation, and I'm never sad to see him in my opener - and he gets better in multiples.

The deck does need a critical mass of 1cc goblins to function. The trouble is that most 1cc goblins that are modern legal aren't very good! I'd certainly be willing to look at other possibilities, but so far Denizen has been performing quite well.

And I wouldn't run anything that's not a goblin. I need Goblin Grenade to always be live.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Have you tried Goblin Wardriver? He's 2 CMC but warcry is really good in goblin decks, even better with a spikeshot in play.

WanderingWind

Denizen is quite good. A not unreasonable draw is something like T1 Denizen, T2 Legion Loyalist and Goblin Guide, for 6 damage T2. Mogg War Marshal and Krenko's Command both pump him up twice when you cast them, and Mogg War Marshal does it again the next turn. With Goblin Assault in the board, he's always attacking for 2. Sometimes you sandbag him for a Bushwhacker turn and just go off. He has always outperformed his reputation, and I'm never sad to see him in my opener - and he gets better in multiples.

The deck does need a critical mass of 1cc goblins to function. The trouble is that most 1cc goblins that are modern legal aren't very good! I'd certainly be willing to look at other possibilities, but so far Denizen has been performing quite well.

And I wouldn't run anything that's not a goblin. I need Goblin Grenade to always be live.

Goblin Chieftain at 3cmc is perfect. I've never been unhappy to have it land. And even with Zealot, grenade is always live. Wardriver is good, as mentioned.

y2dvd

A friend of mines are making these proxy cards that I thought I'd share. I want that 2nd vamp!

nVDvBCV.jpg

F7emJiU.jpg

3nEZQ0r.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wow, Oblivion Ring is swag as fuck.

I don't like the first vamp though, second one is hot.

Attention:
Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013, including all bundles and DLC, is on sale 50% off on Steam this week. You can get the game plus all of the deck expansions for $9.99.

Have you tried Goblin Wardriver? He's 2 CMC but warcry is really good in goblin decks, even better with a spikeshot in play.

I have him in my collection, but I haven't tested him yet. He seems like a less good Goblin Bushwhacker, and I don't know what else I would cut from the 2cc slot to include him, but I should try everything a few times before discounting it.

Yeah... I wanna know who was dissin' Bolt as well. A deck like this seems like 4 Bolts would be an auto-include. Hell, if anything, I'd throw in 4 more burn spells just to help keep the path clear or for that extra reach.

I do have three Dismembers in the side if necessary, but I don't really want to overload on removal when the deck functions best by assembling a mass of disposable goblins. The deck really wants to get you to 5 or 8 and then throw goblins at your face to win, unlike say, Zoo, which functions by picking off key creatures so the battlefield stays full of favorable attacks. It's rare that you have completely favorable attacks after turn 3, so picking off creatures with removal is often less effective than just zerging in full-bore and throwing burn at your opponent's face.

The card I need to pick up next is Shared Animosity - this deck has singlehandedly moved this from a 10 cent rare to over 2 tickets on MTGO since March...

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/card/Shared+Animosity+[MOR]

Goblin Chieftain at 3cmc is perfect. I've never been unhappy to have it land. And even with Zealot, grenade is always live. Wardriver is good, as mentioned.

Already have Chieftains in the deck. I've thought about putting another lord in the deck (Goblin King comes to mind), but I like that the curve is really low...

red13th

Shockwasteland!
Land
Tap: add 1.
Tap, sac, pay 2 life: destroy target nonbasic land.

WanderingWind

So have you heard the story about the guy who found a random safe in a house that he bought, recently figured out how to crack it open, and found what's likely tens of thousands of dollars worth of Magic cards inside?

http://www.reddit.com/r/WhatsInThis...this_thing_has_been_sitting_in_my_house_ever/

How super convenient, after the major karma train about the guy with a similar story two days ago or so. Suddenly, everybody just found a safe in their house and cracked it open! Somebody found George Washington sitting in one, alive and well. Turns out he's been the writer for every major pop song of the past 120 years! Except Purple Rain.

Prince writes his own shit.

Jarate

Banned
So have you heard the story about the guy who found a random safe in a house that he bought, recently figured out how to crack it open, and found what's likely tens of thousands of dollars worth of Magic cards inside?

http://www.reddit.com/r/WhatsInThis...this_thing_has_been_sitting_in_my_house_ever/

All sounds way too good to be true.

On the other hand the way he lets the kid handle the binders in the Youtube videos.....
Fake cards, or he doesn't know the true value I'm guessing.

Top Bottom