• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Kurtofan

More M14 cards:

LNI5wIrl.jpg

NmAUpu6l.jpg

So I explained that Deathouch-Trample interaction that was posted earlier to a friend but he says that wouldn't happen because of the part in the rules that says "but not any abilities or effects that might change the amount of damage that's actually dealt..." Is that only to describe creatures being blocked by the source with Trample-Deathtouch?

The 1 damage is assigned by the attacker, not changed by deathtouch or trample.

Trample requires lethal damage in order to move on to the next creature in blocking order or player. Deathtouch states that any amount of damage dealt is lethal damage. There is no damage being altered here; 1 damage is assigned to all blockers and that never changes.

Wichu

Well at least it's marginally better then a lucky charm.

No it's not. Firstly, they cost one more mana. Secondly, they're not symmetrical - they only trigger from your own cards. Dragon's Claw, for example, is somewhat useful against mono-red burn decks, as you're effectively reducing all their burn damage by one; the staff doesn't even do that.

Shadowborn Apostle, on the other hand, is awesome.

Zoibie

The 1 damage is assigned by the attacker, not changed by deathtouch or trample.

Trample requires lethal damage in order to move on to the next creature in blocking order or player. Deathtouch states that any amount of damage dealt is lethal damage. There is no damage being altered here; 1 damage is assigned to all blockers and that never changes.

Ah, I get it. Thanks!

Lucario

For Pax East goers

Like I said guys, look for the tall fatguy with a small mohawk. Im literally going to be one of the tallest people there

also, if you find a In the Court of the Crimson King playmat, then that's me too

are all you guys drinking age eligible, we should add alchohol to our sheanigans. Drunk magic is the best magic (Until someone spills a beer)

blonde dude in a blue/black striped shirt, uggo white shoes, and torn jeans. Look for me near the Magic shit, or walkin' around the convention hall. I'll be with grakl.

I think your friend's argument, though wrong, refers to giving DT to a creature after damage has been dealt. The rule he's referencing says, basically, that you wouldn't go back and reassign all the damage dealt by that creature differently because he gained DT.

Zoibie

I think your friend's argument, though wrong, refers to giving DT to a creature after damage has been dealt. The rule he's referencing says, basically, that you wouldn't go back and reassign all the damage dealt by that creature differently because he gained DT.

We didn't debate it long but I assumed he was interpreting the part about 'changing the amount of damage' as being compared to if the source didn't have those abilities in the first place (which, yeah, thinking about it now doesn't make any sense.)

bigkrev

Glad that card is common instead of an uncommon like Rats were- should make it pretty easy to get 30 or 40 of them to one day jam in a casual deck. I'm praying there is a really dumb 12-15 mana demon in this set to make it worthwhile, though.

I don't think they'd ever put counterspell back in standard. terror is horribly obsolete with so much, better black removal.

Bolt has the best chance I think, but not if R/G aggro is so good i think

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Fine, bolt and Counterspell only. I'm okay with this. Giant Growth, Terror and ...Healing Salve? complete that cycle in my mind.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Seems kind of unfair to GWB to get those dregs while RU gets their best cards ever printed.

WanderingWind

I'm trying to think of the other cards. Obviously, salve is like, the worst thing ever printed, but those were right there.

And millstone for artifact!

Haly

How about a new standard in G pump spells? +4/+4 anyone?

WanderingWind

I wonder though. With MM and them not wanting to Return to Domanaria, I wonder if WotC let the 20th anniversary creep up on them without really planning anything special.

Haly

Kamigawa but with Planeswalkers instead of Legends.

WanderingWind

This years From the Vault is called Twenty, did you miss that?

I forgot. I'm hoping that's not what they had planned. I think I've made my views on FtV clear enough to say that I'm decidedly nonplussed.

However. On a less cynical note, I'm likely getting to draft a lot more in the near future. The wife is switching to evening shifts at her job. Which, you know, sucks in every other conceivable way, but hey. More MtG

Haly

It's a gimmick deck because wizards is too lazy to design real decks for each of the encounters.

bigkrev

God, this new client is making watching the MOCS terrible. Everything is so small! I'm really worried that one day they are just going to pull e plug on current MTGO, and I just stop playing

Haly

That would be so bananas I don't even know where to begin.

Yeef

I figured 3 months would be amazing, 15 months would be miserable.
I figured the same. It's clear they want ally fetches in modern, but also clear that they wouldn't want them in with the shocklands. Either M15 or the block right after it is when I see them appearing. Maybe even allied in M15 and Zendikar fetches in the block.

kirblar

I figured the same. It's clear they want ally fetches in modern, but also clear that they wouldn't want them in with the shocklands. Either M15 or the block right after it is when I see them appearing. Maybe even allied in M15 and Zendikar fetches in the block.
They're switching to pretty much "always" doing 10-cycles because it leads to better gameplay.

Hex

Banned
Putting another lot out there because a filling has gone south and now I need a tooth pulled (or a root canal which they say may not help anyway).
Lot is:

4x Thragtusk
1x Flooded Grove
1x Wooded Bastion
1x Olivia Voldaren
1x Restoration Angel (pack foil)
2x restoration angel
3x Huntmaster of the fells
2x domri rade (1x russian)
1x Boros Reckoner
1x Aurelia's Fury (russian)

185 paypal gift (cheaper for Gaf than I put it up on Salvation for) (price updated, has to go!)
This tooth has to go or I will end up doing it myself.

f0rk

You need a better Demon than a 5/6 flyer. You have to end the game with it. And Griselbrand doesn't because you can't do anything with the 7 cards you draw as they are all lands or 1/1s

You need a better Demon than a 5/6 flyer. You have to end the game with it. And Griselbrand doesn't because you can't do anything with the 7 cards you draw as they are all lands or 1/1s

More notably, "if you have less than 6 creatures in your graveyard". This is a terrible combo lol.

Either way, you just end up getting it a turn earlier since I think the fastest you can get the apostles out is turn 3 and sac/fetch on turn 4.

Top Bottom