• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Again, the bar is already pretty high. If they can't not print a 1CMC +7/7, then okay. Maybe we look at banning that card. But despite the feelings on Become Immense, it quantifiable hasn't broken the deck. The deck continues to be barely played in any real sense.

And they can absolutely print "All my creatures have double strike." They have. With infect, it wouldn't even fit in any version of the deck and would have to be costed so low as to break any aggro deck. Temur Battle Rage is what you're really talking about, as with infect "all creatures" really means "the one creature I have." But it hasn't even warped the limited infect meta to allow for red to be splashed.

And that last point is exactly why it's an 8 on MaRo's scale and that's nonsense. People hate counters, so we get crap control decks. People hated Annihilate, so we got whatever the hell is going on with BFZ. People hate basically everything that's new or different or isn't big, battleship Magic. If we start banning stuff because "people don't like playing against it" then Magic will be solitaire.

Because the real thing people hate is any deck, archetype or card that causes them to lose. Infect isn't Eggs. It isn't Volt Key. It isn't even Storm pre-Seething Song ban. It's a one trick combo deck that more often than not dies to Path to Exile or Bolt.

Case in point.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about at this point.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Who are the ones arguing from emotion here?

Become Immense ended up putting a giant spotlight on the issue- the issue was always there.

Infect is a combo deck. It looks like an aggro deck, but its really a combo deck, and thats why its miserable. Same way getting hit by Savage Roar + Force of Nature in HS always wants to make you throw a brick through your monitor.

I am using actual facts. I am not just saying "it's a problem" or that "it sucks." I understand you believe Become Immense showcased some sort of nebulous problem with the deck. I get that you believe that. But you have yet to show it. Show me how it made the deck the most played deck in modern. Show me it showing up in an inordinate amount of top 8 finishes. Show me literally anything that shows that infect is the boogeyman you believe it to be.

I was wrong on Birthing Pod. There was evidence to back that up. There is literal nothing with infect. Not a single shred of anything. I'm not just being stubborn because I like the deck. I just need more than "it sucks" and "it's a problem" reiterated again and again before I'll budge.

Okay, let's see: Don't be disingenuous. People dislike Infect for emotional reasons. It's not unbalanced against the field.

Thank you.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about at this point.

Come on man. Stop.

Firemind

Seems cumbersome to have to write down both pools, but it definitely fixes more problems than it creates. I like it.
You only have to register a pool once from this wording? I still don't see how it fixes anything though except for people quitting the moment they open the packs. If the other guy is registering the pool and forgets to register a card, let's say a highly valued card, what happens?

An-Det

You only have to register a pool once from this wording? I still don't see how it fixes anything though except for people quitting the moment they open the packs. If the other guy is registering the pool and forgets to register a card, let's say a highly valued card, what happens?

You register your pool, then watch the person across from you register their pool, then you swap and register each other's to verify. But you're definitely right, if there is a discrepancy between the lists things get awkward.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I am using actual facts. I am not just saying "it's a problem" or that "it sucks." I understand you believe Become Immense showcased some sort of nebulous problem with the deck. I get that you believe that. But you have yet to show it. Show me how it made the deck the most played deck in modern. Show me it showing up in an inordinate amount of top 8 finishes. Show me literally anything that shows that infect is the boogeyman you believe it to be.

I was wrong on Birthing Pod. There was evidence to back that up. There is literal nothing with infect. Not a single shred of anything. I'm not just being stubborn because I like the deck. I just need more than "it sucks" and "it's a problem" reiterated again and again before I'll budge.

Thank you.

Come on man. Stop.

You just you just keep writing paragraphs and paragraphs about how Infect isn't the "best deck" and just ignoring the game design issues because they aren't convenient for your argument about how Infect wasn't the best deck. You are being disingenuous to the extreme.

I have no idea if these additional paragraphs are supposed to be an additional argument, because they aren't. It's just you saying "Infect isn't the best deck guys" 5 times in a row.

WanderingWind

You just you just keep writing paragraphs and paragraphs about how Infect isn't the "best deck" and just ignoring the game design issues because they aren't convenient for your argument about how Infect wasn't the best deck. You are being disingenuous to the extreme.

...yeah, I'm writing to back up my points. You need to knock off the bog-standard NeoGaf argument tactics. You understand completely what I said, you just disagree. I'm not being disingenuous in the least, I just don't disagree with your position. Writing a lot isn't a sign of anger, it's a sign of making an in-depth point. Stop with the nonsense. It's unnecessary.

Back to the topic, I've talked about the game design "issues." Become Immense is as powerful as they're ever going to make a pump spell. It's not as if 1CMC +6/+6 instants littered the landscape before or after Infect. So, clearly, it's not restricting any design space. If they eventually decide they need to have a stronger pump spell, we can revisit both banning that theoretical card and/or the infect archetype.

I have no idea if these additional paragraphs are supposed to be an additional argument, because they aren't. It's just you saying "Infect isn't the best deck guys" 5 times in a row.

No, they're not. And they're not "additional paragraphs." They're normal, completely understandable sentences. If you don't understand something, ask.

Angry Grimace

...yeah, I'm writing to back up my points. You need to knock off the bog-standard NeoGaf argument tactics. You understand completely what I said, you just disagree. I'm not being disingenuous in the least, I just don't disagree with your position. Writing a lot isn't a sign of anger, it's a sign of making an in-depth point. Stop with the nonsense. It's unnecessary.

Back to the topic, I've talked about the game design "issues." Become Immense is as powerful as they're ever going to make a pump spell. It's not as if 1CMC +6/+6 instants littered the landscape before or after Infect. So, clearly, it's not restricting any design space. If they eventually decide they need to have a stronger pump spell, we can revisit both banning that theoretical card and/or the infect archetype.
I mean, okay, think what you want, but you are very clearly arguing points you think are convenient to argue vs. what people are actually saying (your response to the idea that infect is parasitic and a limited trap has been three words: "case in point" which is completely meaningless) and you're inventing conversation points that are also convenient ("people don't like it because its different," which nobody actually said)

There is an obvious reason why you have mentioned Become Immense 5 times and limited gameplay 0 times.

kirblar

Infect isn't the "best deck". That doesn't matter when it comes to future development.

The play pattern of the deck is still fucking miserable, and in order to not make it fucking miserable in standard, you have to warp the pump spells around it for 5 blocks in a row.

Understandably, they don't want to do that.

They also don't want to further push Infect in Legacy/Modern to the point where they have to start banning things. This is the point that pisses off MaRo the most, becuse he doesn't give a shit about eternal formats, he just cares about selling cards to casuals while getting as many of his pet mechanics through the door as possible.

edit: that came off way harsher re: Maro than intended, lol.

WanderingWind

I mean, okay, think what you want, but you are very clearly arguing points you think are convenient to argue vs. what people are actually saying(refusing to address limited and parasitic issues), you're inventing conversation points that are also convenient ("people don't like it because its different." which nobody actually said)

There is an obvious reason why you have mentioned Become Immense 5 times and limited gameplay 0 times.

Uh. See, this is what happens when you assume stuff. The "very obvious reason" I'm not concerned with limited is because A) it's much easier to balance limited than eternals, so if a problem existed it would be there first and B) I'm very versed in modern. No offense, but anything else you're hinting at is sort of a bad assumption on your part.

I mention Become Immense a lot because according to kirblar that was sort of the last straw for the deck. That's not a development concern, by the way, otherwise the topic would revolve around "is Become Immese and/or delve" problematic. Maybe they are. But we're talking about infect, so to show those things are developmental problems, we have to show how it's affected the actual game. Developmental problems lead to gameplay problems. So again, proof is needed.

And before I can address "parasitic," once again, I'm going to have to ask for proof. I also didn't quote "people don't like it because it's different" because it is not a direct quote. Again, that's an assumption you made.

Angry Grimace

Uh. See, this is what happens when you assume stuff. The "very obvious reason" I'm not concerned with limited is because A) it's much easier to balance limited than eternals, so if a problem existed it would be there first and B) I'm very versed in modern. No offense, but anything else you're hinting at is sort of a bad assumption on your part.

I mention Become Immense a lot because according to kirblar that was sort of the last straw for the deck. That's not a development concern, by the way, otherwise the topic would revolve around "is Become Immese and/or delve" problematic. Maybe they are. But we're talking about infect, so to show those things are developmental problems, we have to show how it's affected the actual game. Developmental problems lead to gameplay problems. So again, proof is needed.

And before I can address "parasitic," once again, I'm going to have to ask for proof. I also didn't quote "people don't like it because it's different" because it is not a direct quote. Again, that's an assumption you made.

I'm not going to have this argument anymore.

ultron87

So they just killed deck swap at limited GPs- you open your stuff, the person across from you registers the pool, then gives it back to you http://magic.wizards.com/en/article...-starting-gp-sydney-and-gp-madison-2015-10-08
That's awesome. Less drops and more playing is great for everyone. High cards prices causing you to have to make an EV analysis of playing in the tournament you traveled to was always a big feel bad. They'll have to make it crystal clear that you don't "have" the cards when you're doing the registry part (and thus can't drop with them) but the self interest of the person across the table should prevent most other shenanigans. Hopefully no one just grabs a Scalding Tarn they are registering and sprints out of the tournament hall, lol.

Joe Molotov

You register your pool, then watch the person across from you register their pool, then you swap and register each other's to verify. But you're definitely right, if there is a discrepancy between the lists things get awkward.

"The person across from me accidentally registered a Polluted Delta expedition instead of a basic Island, I corrected the mistake."

Haines

Banned
Who are the ones arguing from emotion here?

Become Immense ended up putting a giant spotlight on the issue- the issue was always there.

Infect is a combo deck. It looks like an aggro deck, but its really a combo deck, and thats why its miserable. Same way getting hit by Savage Roar + Force of Nature in HS always wants to make you throw a brick through your monitor.

You mean you dont love playing around that combo every single turn after 9 lol.

To be on topic, going to my buddys house in a few to play some magic. Probably play some pack warz.

hort

Neo Member

I think you only register the other person's pool, not your own. But you both watch the other person open their pool so you both can see the cards that are in it.

ultron87

"The person across from me accidentally registered a Polluted Delta expedition instead of a basic Island, I corrected the mistake."
I think this is handled by the process being Side A opens, Side B watches -> Side B opens, Side A watches, then everyone registers. During the initial openings you'll both, and the players around you probably, would have noted the expeditions and Tarmogoyfs and Planeswalkers etc and that prevents most funny business.

It doesn't prevent someone juicing a deck with good stuff, but that requires collusion between two random people who just met.

WanderingWind

Believe whatever you want. If being a dick while you're at it is the place you want to be, then by all means go for it. *shrug*

Nah. You don't get to play victim after calling somebody disingenuous and saying things like "this isn't hard" and "I have no idea what you're talking about." Which was my point in the above. Notice how you couldn't resist throwing an insult in the above either. Then notice how I didn't call you a single name. I told you earlier that shit was unnecessary.

Angry Grimace

Nah. You don't get to play victim after calling somebody disingenuous and saying things like "this isn't hard" and "I have no idea what you're talking about." Which was my point in the above. Notice how you couldn't resist throwing an insult in the above either. Then notice how I didn't call you a single name. I told you earlier that shit was unnecessary.
Get over it. I'm not going to be baited either into getting into the argument again or arguing about the argument. Enough.

This card completely fails from a flavour perspective

Image.ashx

there's no 6+ power flying eldrazi in the set in fact Emrakul is the only 6+ power flying eldrazi in existence currently.

Angry Grimace

I know hence I included the "flavour"

There needed to be a 6/x flying eldrazi in the set

from a flavour perspective this is the only Eldrazi Kiora could have used it on

Image.ashx

The Flying Eldrazi are mostly Emrakul spawn and she's off doing who knows what

Firemind

Infect isn't the "best deck". That doesn't matter when it comes to future development.

The play pattern of the deck is still fucking miserable, and in order to not make it fucking miserable in standard, you have to warp the pump spells around it for 5 blocks in a row.

Understandably, they don't want to do that.
They couldn't (re)print blue cantrips because of Delve for how many sets. How is that any different?

kirblar

They couldn't (re)print blue cantrips because of Delve for how many sets. How is that any different?
...they just printed Anticipate? They're just not printing 1cc cantrips (though Visions will get an exception out of necessity) because well, you know why.

After a bit of thinking, this might be a nice suite of abilities for Return to New Phyrexia (on the Phyrexian side)

Noxious - This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters. When it deals damage to a player, if he or she is not poisoned, that player gets a poison counter.

So the focus goes from killing the player with poison to getting the player poisoned at all, and beating them with normal damage. The beauty is that is still has the same feeling of not wanting a single Phyrexian to get through, but it doesn't make pump spells super strong. It's kind of like renown, in that you only give your opponent one counter once, but it affects all of your creatures and spells that would care.

Noxious Elf - G
Creature - Elf Warrior
Noxious (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters. When it deals damage to a player, if he or she is not poisoned, that player gets a poison counter.)
Whenever Noxious Elf attacks, if defending player is poisoned, it gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
1/1

Weakened Summon - B
Instant
Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn. If that creature's controller is poisoned, that creature gets -5/-5 until end of turn instead.

Stricken X - Choose a creature with the greatest toughness among creatures you don't control and put X -1/-1 counters on it.

charlequin mentioned that they'd just use this with X=1, but I could see higher numbers in black. They probably would stick to lower numbers in other colors, though. Since this carries the flavor of spreading the infection, I don't believe proliferate would be necessary. I'd rather see it pop up next in a +1/+1 counter set, anyway. Altered versions of bolster cards below.

Weakened Defenses - 1B
Sorcery
Stricken 3. (Choose a creature with the greatest toughness among creatures you don't control and put three -1/-1 counters on it.)

Phyrexian Captain 2W
Creature - Human Soldier
First strike
Noxious (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters. When it deals damage to a player, if he or she is not poisoned, that player gets a poison counter.)
Whenever Phyrexian Captain attacks, stricken 1. (Choose a creature with the greatest toughness among creatures you don't control and put a -1/-1 counter on it.)
1/1

Firemind

...they just printed Anticipate? They're just not printing 1cc cantrips (though Visions will get an exception out of necessity) because well, you know why.
They also said they were going to reprint Liliana of the Veil in Standard.

ANY TIME NOW BOYS

PS. Anticipate blows.

Angry Grimace

They also said they were going to reprint Liliana of the Veil in Standard.

ANY TIME NOW BOYS

PS. Anticipate blows.

Liliana of the Veil + the original Siege Rhino would have been soooooo much better for the game, naturally they didn't do it.

Angry Grimace

Honestly this pool shipping and verification seems unnecessary when the real solution is staring us right in the face:

Naked GPs

Yeef

From a flavor perspective, I think ignoring infect for the next New Phyrexia makes some sense. Infect represented the Phyrexians spreading; at this point they've already taken over the plane. THere's no need for them to spread any further. I think when we go back to New Phyrexia it's likely to be all about in-fighting between the Praetors.

Angry Grimace

From a flavor perspective, I think ignoring infect for the next New Phyrexia makes some sense. Infect represented the Phyrexians spreading; at this point they've already taken over the plane. THere's no need for them to spread any further. I think when we go back to New Phyrexia it's likely to be all about in-fighting between the Praetors.

Reissue Mirrodin block in its entirety. The Skullclamp we deserve.

Ashodin

I think before we go back to new p town we need to hit up some of them other planes Karn went to that are infected. Lots of design and flavor space there.

Angry Grimace

I think before we go back to new p town we need to hit up some of them other planes Karn went to that are infected. Lots of design and flavor space there.

I think in story he sorta fixed those.

Firemind

Can't we just go back to Bolas kicking ass and taking names again?

Maybe finally corrupt Jace. And you thought he couldn't be any broodier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom