• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
Noxious Elf - G
Creature - Elf Warrior
Noxious (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters. When it deals damage to a player, if he or she is not poisoned, that player gets a poison counter.)
Whenever Noxious Elf attacks, if defending player is poisoned, it gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
1/1

My take on a new infect mechanic - whenever a "poisonous" creature deals damage to a player, they get a poison counter. Damage against creatures is still calculated in -1/-1 counters. At the beginning of their upkeep, they take 1 damage for every poison counter on them. So while one poison counter doesn't really matter, they add up and at 2 or 3 counters the life total is going down fast. Healing alone doesn't really help, they need cards to remove the counters like an antidote in a RPG

and the mechanic could be useful for both aggro and control

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I am seriously debating whether I should take Jeskai Black to FNM (and probably win games) or take my completed Eldrazi Exile deck (and probably lose games).

(I can't believe people are giving me so many Pucapoints for copies of Hardened Scales; keep plucking that chicken)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wait, Hardened Scales is $5.50 now? What's caused the spike?

Counters matter decks, featuring Hangarbacks, Undergrowth Champs, Managorger Hydras, etc.

I was pretty surprised to find that Undergrowth Champion was $15 too.

Counters matter decks, featuring Hangarbacks, Undergrowth Champs, Managorger Hydras, etc.

I was pretty surprised to find that Undergrowth Champion was $15 too.

Dang, I should put my 4 copies I got for 50 cents each in my Trade binder.

I mean, I get it helps, but isn't it just a Win-more card? Granted, at 1 Mana that's not terrible, but it still doesn't impact the board by itself.

I oughta follow my gut more. I felt that card was too cheap for its own good a few months back.

What cards are we expecting to spike here pretty soon in Standard?

Angry Grimace

My take on a new infect mechanic - whenever a "poisonous" creature deals damage to a player, they get a poison counter. Damage against creatures is still calculated in -1/-1 counters. At the beginning of their upkeep, they take 1 damage for every poison counter on them. So while one poison counter doesn't really matter, they add up and at 2 or 3 counters the life total is going down fast. Healing alone doesn't really help, they need cards to remove the counters like an antidote in a RPG

and the mechanic could be useful for both aggro and control

Infect isn't really too strong the way it is, at least not in Constructed. Its that it requires that limited be designed to be very strong around it + giving players more ways to completely fuck up their decks. Its a different beast than the Rise of the Eldrazi "limited problem." Infect was actually good if you could get it, you just likely can't and if multiple people tried, they'd probably all lose because they didn't get the cards to enable it. Its just a weird way to design for limited. The fact that it occasionally enabled broken shit in Constructed (particularly older formats) is just another issue.

I oughta follow my gut more. I felt that card was too cheap for its own good a few months back.

What cards are we expecting to spike here pretty soon in Standard?

Everything is going to go down. Bring to Light could go up a bit, but there's not a ton of room for growth there with the amount of product being opened.

Other options: Sorin, Solemn Visitor, Wingmate Roc, Soulfire Grand Master, Zurgo Bellstriker.

cory64

Baseless speculation: The C15 commanders are dragonlords from an alternate-alternate-alternate Tarkir timeline.
But that's too much design work for a commander set, at least when we already know it's "Commander 2015" and not something more flavorful.

Angry Grimace

What's the deal with the right-edge of every Expedition Land looking like shit?

8vku629.jpg

BqKFaTb.jpg

wkmWkET.png

Ashodin

Ahh fuck Hardened Scales went up? I shoulda bought in early. I knew that card would be good in the right deck once Theros rotated out.

Angry Grimace

They wanted it to match the art, amirite?

I like the Misty Rainforest one. That's it. Because I have one. All the other ones are shit.

Actually, I kind of do like that one because without the color gradient it's kind of hard to tell what color its supposed to be, but the MR actually looks pretty green/blue.

Its too bad the Battlelands are still $50 and aren't really playable in Modern, it would be fun to sling those around (but I sure as fuck aren't made of that kind of money)

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

I mean, I get it helps, but isn't it just a Win-more card? Granted, at 1 Mana that's not terrible, but it still doesn't impact the board by itself.
It basically sets up your entire game plan, t1 that, into t2, beast master savant, into another hardened scales and you are set for the game. Without it, their creatures are way worse/slower. It's pretty much the primary win condition, especially with decks with lots of removal (see: all of them).

Angry Grimace

My Expedition is fine, have they used this printing process before? Feels heavier than a regular foil.

It is not the same process they use in FTVs, but its not the same as regular foils, either.

Ashodin

It basically sets up your entire game plan, t1 that, into t2, beast master savant, into another hardened scales and you are set for the game. Without it, their creatures are way worse/slower. It's pretty much the primary win condition, especially with decks with lots of removal (see: all of them).

Hot. I want to build this deck now.

Angry Grimace

There's an extra layer on top of the normal foiling.

They probably need to use sharper blades if this is going to be a process they're using in the future.

My JTMS FTV-20 has the same thing.

cory64

They probably need to use sharper blades if this is going to be a process they're using in the future.

My JTMS FTV-20 has the same thing.

Printer's Dilemma
1W
Instant
As an additional cost to cast Printer's Dilemma, sacrifice an artifact.
Creatures you control gain indestructible until end of turn
"They probably need to use sharper blades if this is going to be a process they're using in the future."

I've played it a lot. The deck is fast and if you have a Scales out it keeps your early plays relevant. T1 Scales, T2 Hangarback, T3 Servant of the Scales into Avatar of the Resolute (a 6/5 trampler at this point) is not an uncommon sequence. Managorger Hydra is absurd if it stays on the board for any length of time and Undergrowth Champion looks solid as well. It needed some work to be tier 1 but almost nothing in the GW variant rotated out and it got some new toys, so it might be a contender.

You can get even nuttier with Sword of the Animist, Serene Steward and Retreat to Kazandu.

That might be a little too combo-y for this deck. It's really just about playing a bunch of cheap, efficient creatures and if you have a Scales in play, it pushes them over the curve. I've won plenty of games where I never drew Scales. Hangarback, Avatar, and Managorger are good early threats no matter what and if your opponent is slow out of the gate or they don't draw removal at the right time it's a fast win.

I could see a slower variant doing well, it would just look a lot different. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do with Drana and maybe Kiora. The card is a lot of fun regardless and is my go-to for a palate cleanse when I'm doing a lot of testing with other decks.

Angry Grimace

An oldie but goodie:

http://lounge.moviecodec.com/off-topic/why-yu-gi-oh-is-better-than-magic-the-gathering-101174/

This thread is FYI for the massive amounts M:TG wankers wasting their college funds into the card game ignorantly thinking that it’s it’s the best TGC (non-virgin translation: Trading Card Game) out there.

1. Building a decent/strategic Yu-Gi-Oh! deck doesn’t cost you hundreds of dollars.

If you don’t take promotional cards (that are reprinted in other editions any way) the most expensive card, a LOB Blue Eyes White Dragon 1st Edition costs 30 bucks (3 bucks if you don’t need the 1st Edition stamp).

A alpha Black Lotus on the other hand is going to cost you thousands of dollars (hundreds if you’re going for the cheapest reprint in shit condition).

That’s because the designers at Konami design the cards to be played and not to be locked in a safe for investment so that one day someone even stupider than you will buy it from you.

2. The game isn’t broken.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is a well designed game where everything is accounted for. Magic on the other hand is a crippled system. Loop holes that make damage infinitely high and other glitches are constantly removed from the games by banning cards (Enjoy your Black Lotus because you’re not allowed to play it) to keep the tournaments going.

3. Yu-Gi-Oh! focuses on the art, M:TG focuses on text?

Yu-Gi-Oh! cards have images that cover 50% of the surface of the card. MTG has images that covers 25% of the card.

Also, unless it’s a promotional card Yu-Gi-Oh! never reuses the same art for reprints. M:TG on the other hand...

The five re-prints of Blue-Eyes White Dragon (notice how none of them look the same)
[image]

The four reprints of Black Lotus (look how all of them are the fucking same)

[image]

4. Yu-Gi-Oh! cards are more expensive to make and only contain the premium grade materials. M:TG don’t.

If you’ve ever held a Yu-Gi-Oh! card you should have noticed a waxy feeling. That’s acid and stain repelling wax to preserve the cards quality. They’re also made out of a contracting (like a spring) material so that can be bent, from top to bottom 180 degrees without deforming.

M:TG contain the same materials now as when the first edition of the game was released (before they knew that it was going to be successful). The cards plain hard-pressed paper and is no more durable than the cover of soft-cover novels. The slightest deformation will damage the cards.

It’s more common to see M:TG players having their playing deck in selves to preserve the color of the cards.

Experiment. Take a M:TG card and put it in your right pocket and put a Yu-Gi-Oh! card in your left pocket. Go out and jog and see for yourself which card takes the most damage.

5. Yu-Gi-Oh!'s gameplay is quicker.

It’s not because M:TG is more strategic, or anything like that. It’s because in most cases it’s stupid to attack in M:TG since the opponent decides who of the creatures are going to defend. This can drag out the already tedious gameplay to 30 minutes and it’s often that your library run out of cards and you lose the game by default.

6. M:TG, playing a game or debating its rules?

If you ever played M:TG you should know that at some point you’ll encounter players will bring up rules that you didn’t even know of because it was introduced in the latest generation (see argument 2).

It’s not like you’re going to memorize all the unnecessarily complex rules for all the details anyway.

The rules of Yu-Gi-Oh! can be written on a sheet of paper the size of a present card and everything else comes together logically so you won’t have some asocial douche nitpicking glitch rules to win.

7. Boring decks, fucked up gameplay.

In M:TG you summon creatures by mana which you gain from tapping (non-virgin translation: Using) land-cards which your only allowed to put one in play per turn (you know unlike the logical approach of summoning the creature directly like in Yu-Gi-Oh!). This means that you have to fill your deck with land cards which you either have too little of or too much. It pretty much adds to the Poker-factor that you have to draw your land cards (luck) to win, if not you’re not able to do anything.

These land cards take up unnecessary space in your deck (since you need both land cards and a spell card to cast that spell) and drags out the gameplay (see argument 5).

8. There’s more money put in Yu-Gi-Oh! making it a safer investment for the future.

Multi-season cartoons, manga, movies. All these media will influence children to create nostalgic bonds with the game and maybe later in their life spend a lot of money into collector items.

Do you know why a first edition Charizard sells for hundreds of dollars today? It’s not because it’s rare (see Black Lotus) it’s because people want to renew and preserve their childhood memories. Rest assure this is likely to happen to Yu-Gi-Oh because of it’s large media spectrum.

9. Yu-Gi-Oh! is more popular.

For a reason.

traveler

Not Wario
Which version of Jeskai black are you guys liking more? The Soulfire one or the Gideon one? (or your own brew, if that's the case)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
An oldie but goodie:

http://lounge.moviecodec.com/off-topic/why-yu-gi-oh-is-better-than-magic-the-gathering-101174/

This thread is FYI for the massive amounts M:TG wankers wasting their college funds into the card game ignorantly thinking that it’s it’s the best TGC (non-virgin translation: Trading Card Game) out there.

1. Building a decent/strategic Yu-Gi-Oh! deck doesn’t cost you hundreds of dollars.

If you don’t take promotional cards (that are reprinted in other editions any way) the most expensive card, a LOB Blue Eyes White Dragon 1st Edition costs 30 bucks (3 bucks if you don’t need the 1st Edition stamp).

A alpha Black Lotus on the other hand is going to cost you thousands of dollars (hundreds if you’re going for the cheapest reprint in shit condition).

That’s because the designers at Konami design the cards to be played and not to be locked in a safe for investment so that one day someone even stupider than you will buy it from you.

2. The game isn’t broken.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is a well designed game where everything is accounted for. Magic on the other hand is a crippled system. Loop holes that make damage infinitely high and other glitches are constantly removed from the games by banning cards (Enjoy your Black Lotus because you’re not allowed to play it) to keep the tournaments going.

3. Yu-Gi-Oh! focuses on the art, M:TG focuses on text?

Yu-Gi-Oh! cards have images that cover 50% of the surface of the card. MTG has images that covers 25% of the card.

Also, unless it’s a promotional card Yu-Gi-Oh! never reuses the same art for reprints. M:TG on the other hand...

The five re-prints of Blue-Eyes White Dragon (notice how none of them look the same)
[image]

The four reprints of Black Lotus (look how all of them are the fucking same)

[image]

4. Yu-Gi-Oh! cards are more expensive to make and only contain the premium grade materials. M:TG don’t.

If you’ve ever held a Yu-Gi-Oh! card you should have noticed a waxy feeling. That’s acid and stain repelling wax to preserve the cards quality. They’re also made out of a contracting (like a spring) material so that can be bent, from top to bottom 180 degrees without deforming.

M:TG contain the same materials now as when the first edition of the game was released (before they knew that it was going to be successful). The cards plain hard-pressed paper and is no more durable than the cover of soft-cover novels. The slightest deformation will damage the cards.

It’s more common to see M:TG players having their playing deck in selves to preserve the color of the cards.

Experiment. Take a M:TG card and put it in your right pocket and put a Yu-Gi-Oh! card in your left pocket. Go out and jog and see for yourself which card takes the most damage.

5. Yu-Gi-Oh!'s gameplay is quicker.

It’s not because M:TG is more strategic, or anything like that. It’s because in most cases it’s stupid to attack in M:TG since the opponent decides who of the creatures are going to defend. This can drag out the already tedious gameplay to 30 minutes and it’s often that your library run out of cards and you lose the game by default.

6. M:TG, playing a game or debating its rules?

If you ever played M:TG you should know that at some point you’ll encounter players will bring up rules that you didn’t even know of because it was introduced in the latest generation (see argument 2).

It’s not like you’re going to memorize all the unnecessarily complex rules for all the details anyway.

The rules of Yu-Gi-Oh! can be written on a sheet of paper the size of a present card and everything else comes together logically so you won’t have some asocial douche nitpicking glitch rules to win.

7. Boring decks, fucked up gameplay.

In M:TG you summon creatures by mana which you gain from tapping (non-virgin translation: Using) land-cards which your only allowed to put one in play per turn (you know unlike the logical approach of summoning the creature directly like in Yu-Gi-Oh!). This means that you have to fill your deck with land cards which you either have too little of or too much. It pretty much adds to the Poker-factor that you have to draw your land cards (luck) to win, if not you’re not able to do anything.

These land cards take up unnecessary space in your deck (since you need both land cards and a spell card to cast that spell) and drags out the gameplay (see argument 5).

8. There’s more money put in Yu-Gi-Oh! making it a safer investment for the future.

Multi-season cartoons, manga, movies. All these media will influence children to create nostalgic bonds with the game and maybe later in their life spend a lot of money into collector items.

Do you know why a first edition Charizard sells for hundreds of dollars today? It’s not because it’s rare (see Black Lotus) it’s because people want to renew and preserve their childhood memories. Rest assure this is likely to happen to Yu-Gi-Oh because of it’s large media spectrum.

9. Yu-Gi-Oh! is more popular.

For a reason.
*twitch*

Crocodile

Glad to see WOTC made those GP changes. Was always super shitty you sometimes had to choose between keeping money and actually playing the event like you came there to do.

With regards to Yugioh vs Magic (why did you even drag that in here Grimace?), the text on Yugioh cards is near illegible just as a function of size. It's not wonder so few older people play that game - as a function of age, your eyesight naturally deteriorates t the point you can't read the cards LOL

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181124906]Technically Grixis![/QUOTE]
i don't know mate

the mana base seems like a mare

i loathed the vivid mana base during lorwyn. i ain't gonna touch that with a ten foot pole.

Access to Kolaghan's Command and Tasigur also I suppose.

Kolaghan's Command is more important, but access to one Tasigur is also something I'm liking right now. It does give your opponents more targets for Abzan Charm though. Normally it only kills Mantis Rider and Dragon Tokens(or Gideon if you're playing that).

So a Jeskai deck splashing Crackling Doom is what's taken us by storm?

Yuuuup. It's strong.

Which version of Jeskai black are you guys liking more? The Soulfire one or the Gideon one? (or your own brew, if that's the case)

I've been building it myself with the spoilers, but it's nothing too brewy and a lot of people came to similar conclusions. I like the Soulfire better myself. Tons of cheap cards. Dragonmaster Outcast is dumb with the Commands.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181125746]Kolaghan's Command is more important, but access to one Tasigur is also something I'm liking right now. It does give your opponents more targets for Abzan Charm though. Normally it only kills Mantis Rider and Dragon Tokens(or Gideon if you're playing that).[/QUOTE]
so your only win conditions are mantis rider, dragonmaster outcast and rebuying burn with soulfire grandmaster? what?

Matriox

So, Eldrazi (BfZ). Grixis or Sultai?

I've been brewing a Sultai list, splashes red for Radiant Flames and Kolaghan's Command. I don't think my list is any good, but it seems fun.

http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/116428
God's Beard!";181126106] Someone[URL="https://deckbox.org/sets/995604 said:
trade me a Marit Lage token[/URL]! It's the only one I don't have for my Teysa deck. This is sad:

I've got one somewhere, I'll have to hunt it down.

Firemind

you're not playing ojutai?

i concede that ojutai's command and dragonmaster outcast are pretty sweet together

but it reminds me of scute mob and ranger of eos back in the day. cute but not sure if serious tier one potential

Angry Grimace

God's Beard!";181126106]Someone[URL="https://deckbox.org/sets/995604 said:
trade me a Marit Lage token[/URL]! It's the only one I don't have for my Teysa deck. This is sad:

I know, it's sweet.

Marit Lage tokens were only given out as prerelease items during Coldsnap. They are extremely expensive (as far as tokens go, they're like $20 off of SCG).

traveler

Not Wario
so your only win conditions are mantis rider, dragonmaster outcast and rebuying burn with soulfire grandmaster? what?

Only? Mantis Rider is a pretty big beater in its own right. This deck often opens more aggressively than most decks in the format short of Atarka Red. Dragonmaster Outcast is a legit finisher- especially if you can recur him with Ojutai's Command. Most decks also have either Ojutai himself or Gideon as finishers as well, and ulting Jace isn't an impossible situation. Lastly, Butcher has been run as a 1 of in some lists and 4 Hangarbacks are also pretty standard, like every other deck in standard. We're a pretty far cry from Nephalia Drownyard-esque closers here.

Angry Grimace

I almost never put Hangarback in my decks simply because I don't enjoy playing with the card.

Well, okay that's a lie, its in a lot of my decks, I just haven't been putting it in mainboard of my brews very much since BFZ stuff starting being spoiled. I guess I probably should, but its Hangarback Walker. He's just like a dude. Who blows up into more dudes. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom