• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tch

Man. I really hate the art on the new Ob, especially compared to Ob Nixilis, the Fallen. And the art really makes it seem like he should be B/R.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Man. I really hate the art on the new Ob, especially compared to Ob Nixilis, the Fallen. And the art really makes it seem like he should be B/R.

but he looks so happy

Jhriad

Nahiri building the Helvault would make more sense if you wanted that kind of retcon.

Innistrad's most powerful demon was now encased in a great silver mass, as was the archangel Avacyn herself, keystone of the Church and protector of humankind. The words of her own spell imprisoned her: "What cannot be destroyed must be bound."

The Avacyn quote sounds like something that Nahiri might say about the Eldrazi.

but he looks so happy

His face just makes me think of silly hidden smiley face images of random objects.

Ashodin

I suppose so, I just think all these years Wizards has really failed with capitalizing on these characters and making them more than tropes. I understand they're trying to rectify that now. Like when Venser died I was like that sucks but he brought back Karn so that was a net positive.

And Karn is the best. He's my absolute favorite character from the previous Urza storyline, he's like Data from TNG. Everyone loves Data.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
you can't tell me this won't have some hilarious alters

srHaXk3.jpg

What I like is that Ob isn't even flying there, he still has a foot on a hedron, so he's basically just posing for a graduation photo or something.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He's like a comic book villain with that goofy grin plastered on his face.

Angry Grimace

What I like is that Ob isn't even flying there, he still has a foot on a hedron, so he's basically just posing for a graduation photo or something.

He's hoverhanding Invisible Stalker

Angry Grimace

Need to photoshop someone funny next to him and then flip the phone around
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

and then put the Crackgate guy in the background

duxstar

Bunch of leaked cards from MTGS. May not be real, or at least may not be accurate since it's from memory. In particular, I have a hard time believing the artifact is exactly what the leaker claims. EDIT: OK, it's 4 or greater, not 4 or less. Now it's more believable.

Drana 1BB
Creature- Vampire Ally
Flying, First Strike
When " deals combat damage to an opponent, put a +1/+1 counter on each attacking creature you control.
2/3
-She has the art from the Game Day playmat

O-Ring Artifact 4
Artifact
When " ETB exile all creatures with power 4 or greater. When " leaves play, return them to play.

Awaken Cancel 1UU
Instant
Counter target spell.
Awaken 3-4UU

Scion Awakening Zone 3G
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep put a 1/1 Eldrazi Scion into play.

Holy crap, If that artifact is real it's ridiculous, Drana would be pretty crazy too , A shaman of the great hunt with evasion is pretty good (though no haste)

Awakening zone seems like a card they would print at rare that I would have no interest in lol.

Basically a worse thopter spy network for eldrazi spawn

Angry Grimace

Holy crap, If that artifact is real it's ridiculous, Drana would be pretty crazy too , A shaman of the great hunt with evasion is pretty good (though no haste)

Awakening zone seems like a card they would print at rare that I would have no interest in lol.

Basically a worse thopter spy network for eldrazi spawn

That card would be better than Shaman of the Great Hunt because of the way First Strike works.

jph139

I'm actually kinda disappointed Nixie didn't end up back in human form. It's a generic design (and god knows we don't need more human walkers) but I love his look - it's been my phone wallpaper since it was first revealed.

OnPoint

Sorin likely vamped Nahiri, right?

That seems to be the implication. It's also probably the only way she'd still be alive now since you know, 'walkers are mortal unless otherwise stated (vampires live long, long lives and even then may be immortal). I'm assuming as a Kor, she would be mortal unless altered in some way.

That or she's Avacyn.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That seems to be the implication. It's also probably the only way she'd still be alive now since you know, 'walkers are mortal unless otherwise stated (vampires live long, long lives and even then may be immortal). I'm assuming as a Kor, she would be mortal unless altered in some way.

That or she's Avacyn.

It would be cool if Nahiri asked to be vamped after the mending so she could stay alive, but they don't seem particularly interested in making the Mending much of an actual plot point anymore

That or she's Avacyn.

Remember, she was an oldswalker, and she's still a Kor in this story that takes place 1000 years after the Eldrazi were sealed.

Hero

Well with Sorin I preordered him at $10 and then he spiked to $30 and I traded a few off for fetchlands.

That one was a case of people saying "This card sucks because its not Sorin, Lord of Innistrad." And then a few days later everyone realized how his plus actually works and he spiked.

Sorin's still a beating when he comes down and he does see fringe modern play in tokens deck (where he's straight up better than LOI anyways because of Intangible Virtue existing).

Haha, kind of ironic when people said that Sorin 3 was inferior to Sorin 2, huh? ;) only poking fun.
One common theory is that he somehow used Nahiri's body to create Avacyn, but I feel like we wouldn't be returning to Innistrad this soon or even within the next few blocks. It is possible that the Sorin / Nahiri thing won't be a block story and will instead just be shown in Uncharted Realms, though.

Nahiri building the Helvault would make more sense if you wanted that kind of retcon.

Well, the Helvault was pretty much a giant Hedron anyway, wasn't it?

And Nahiri straight up looks vampiric in her Commander card.

And Karn is the best. He's my absolute favorite character from the previous Urza storyline, he's like Data from TNG. Everyone loves Data.

Yeah I like Karn a lot. He's awesome.

OnPoint

I bit the bullet and scooped up two Ob. It's a card I'll play with and if it catches fire I'll kick myself for not doing so sooner. If I lose $5 bucks an Ob whatever, I'll still use him in decks.

Hero

It's not a crusade, I'm not rallying people against you or anything, if you think it's personal then I don't know what to say other than apologize because it's not.

Yeef

The GB => Grimace => Hero love triangle heats up!

I don't think we've seen any of the "pivotal moment" cards that they've been talking up since PAX. There's supposed to be 5 of them, if I'm not mistaken. I wonder if we'll get one tomorrow along with the story.

I don't think we've seen any of the "pivotal moment" cards that they've been talking up since PAX. There's supposed to be 5 of them, if I'm not mistaken. I wonder if we'll get one tomorrow along with the story.

Unless one of them is Nissa's junk rare.

Hero

I want to see another mythic Eldrazi that can stand next to Ulamog in terms of not being so boring.

Angry Grimace

God's Beard and I are just ribbing each other we used to banter a lot in the manga thread. I don't actually think he's lying about his tournament results. I don't really know what's up with Hero or what his deal is. I'm not really super interested in a debate on whether all my posts are shitposts or not. *shrug*

And goddamnit I fucked up on MODO resolving Tragic Arrogance yet again

I wonder why we got so few cards today.

Because three of the cards scheduled to be spoiled today were spoiled yesterday on accident:

http://www.starcitygames.com/articl...dikar-Preview-Kiora-Master-Of-The-Depths.html

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/ob-nixilis-reignited/

I want to see another mythic Eldrazi that can stand next to Ulamog in terms of not being so boring.

The story of this plane is that Kozilek and Emrakul aren't there anymore. They aren't going to get cards in this set; its possible in OGW, but I don't know.

I'd buy that if not for the fact that it sounds straight up lift from Akroma

I don't know, "turning your friend into a deterrent to keep your people from driving their main food source to extinction" seems pretty different from "psychic re-creation of a dude's wife made to avenge said wife's death."

duxstar

So maybe someone can explain this to me ......

So back about 5 years ago in zendikar, there were 3 eldrazi titan's that reigned supreme, as in like batshit insane, unlimited power, giant's that could probably be seen from miles away. Then we advance 5 years later and 2 of them have just ..... disappeared ? How long is the time between rise of eldrazi and the new set ?

I really hope they do something with the eldrazi, they are pretty much just big dumb creatures, that even cheating into play doesn't work out (since all their abilities are on cast). You can say 20 power over 2 creatures is good, until you realize that hordling outburst just chump blocks them, and comes out on turn 3.

Even Ulamog isn't close to worth the investment .... so say i finally get to 10 mana against a control deck, and go to cast ulamog, and they just counter it, so i get to do what, exile 2 lands ? They don't even have to play actual creatures or win conditions anymore since they can just use their kill spells, board wipes, and counter spells to act as creatures in the late game.

I still don't get how this set is going to work ... No turn 1 mana dorks, Monastery swiftspear running around, and Courser rotating out all seem like the format will move faster and not slower.

So in terms of sheer power, who are like the top 5 most powerful planeswalkers?

I'm hoping Sorin is in the top 5....

#vampirelove

kirblar

2 have "left". Kozilek likely hasn't per people analyzing the art/flavor text, and has simply gone underground. He'll be the headliner for Set 2.

Haly

Post Time Spiral it's like...

Nicol Bolas = Ugin > Karn > Sorin > Lili + Veil > other chumps

I made this up on the spot.

Oh right Xenagos ascended. Bump Lili, then.

I forgot where Karn is. Is he still stuck in the past and corrupted and shit?

Haly

Slightly below Kindergarten Jace.

Crocodile

Elspeth pimpslapped Xenagos into the ground (literally) at the end of Theros Block. He's no longer a God and is either dead or "dead". Karn left New Phyrexia after Venser cured him via sacrifice and is on the prowl for other Phyrexia infections that he may have helped spread years back.

Haly

Alright so LiliVeil is back in top 5 probably.

Karn should come back in BFZ2. The Elzdrazi are colorless. He's colorless. Ugin is colorless. It's a match made in heaven.

Its part of a supplemental set you can open in BFZ boosters that is not actually part of the set or legal in Standard.

It's all 10 fetchlands and all 10 shocklands + 5 duals from BFZ (that are standard legal)

I'm really interested in these babies. How much do you guys think it'll go per piece?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom