• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

Bolas, Ugin and Sorin for sure. Xenagos probably. And maybe Karn?
It's probably Bolas -> Ugin -> Raven Man -> Liliana -> Sorin. As far as innate power goes, Liliana isn't that powerful from what I understand, but the demonic pact and the chain veil both give her a ton more power.

I'm really interested in these babies. How much do you guys think it'll go per piece?
Fetches will likely be in the $200~$300 range. Shocks will likely be closer to $150. Not sure about the Tangolands.

tch

Isn't Garruk pretty fuckin' powerful in a sense of raw strength?

I was about to mention him and with the curse he seems stronger than ever. Wasn't Jace warning somebody about him hunting planeswalkers?

Gideon seems pretty jacked in the recent URs he and Garruk need to fight

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why would raw strength matter to people who can literally shape worlds?

Also when you get down to it, Garruk never really does anything himself. He always delegates to his furry friends.

It's Gideon who's all gung ho about getting his hands dirty.

OnPoint

Current PW ranking of PW we know? I'd say it's like

1. Nicol Bolas
  2. Ugin
  3. Karn
  4. Garruk Cursed
  5. Chain Veil Lili
  6. Sorin

Ugin and Bolas are probably tied in sheer strength. Honestly we don't know enough about the Raven Man yet to rank him. Cursed Garruk has been straight wrecking people. Chain Veil Lili is much stronger than standard, non-Veil Lili. Xenagos might be up there but he's dead, right? So... not him.

Honestly they've done a good job humanizing Jace in terms of power level, bringing him back down to the level of the other main character PW characters.

Yeef

Honestly we don't know enough about the Raven Man yet to rank him.
Seems like they're setting him up to be another behind-the-scenes mastermind like Bolas. In his last appearance he more or less said that he's been using Liliana as his puppet as far back as before she had even ignited her spark.

OnPoint

Seems like they're setting him up to be another behind-the-scenes mastermind like Bolas. In his last appearance he more or less said that he's been using Liliana as his puppet as far back as before she had even ignited her spark.

Definitely seems that way. I almost wish she'd kill him soon, and then slowly unravel his influence on her life through the story over the next few years, revealing that killing him was a mistake and now things are much harder because he's gone. Or something like that.

Why would raw strength matter to people who can literally shape worlds?

Also when you get down to it, Garruk never really does anything himself. He always delegates to his furry friends.

It's Gideon who's all gung ho about getting his hands dirty.
Garruk's moniker is the planeswalker hunter now, though. He can kill worldshapers. :p

If anything, Garruk is turning into a Kratos-like predator fueled by pure malice and the thrill of murderous pursuit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
deathlessbehemoth.jpg

Deathless Behemoth
Creature - Eldrazi
Vigilance

Sacrifice two Eldrazi Scions: Return Deathless Behemoth from the graveyard to your hand. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
6/6

//

At Uncommon; checks out

Maro is going to keep putting off Kaladesh until he figures out how to do Riggers and Contraptions.

lol like he doesn't already have it penciled on a napkin tacked to his monitor

As far as we gather, Sorin is off trying to find Nahiri to

...get their Easter best on so they can be ready for Kozilek Does Kamigawa, basically.

I hope tango lands sticks to annoy all these pros on twitter

Ari Lax is the only smart man in the world, apparently, since he's the only one of them that actually seems to realize that complaining endlessly about the nickname just guarantees that it'll stick.

I see what he did there.

That or she's Avacyn.

I hate this theory (which is not to say that it's definitely not true, of course.) The whole point of the Avacyn storyline is that when Sorin was an oldwalker he could just do whatever insane fucked-up shit he wanted to fix problems on Innistrad, but now he's stuck working with what he's got. He could, pretty trivially, just make an angel like Avacyn out of thin air at that point, so... why would he need to make her out of a person, much less another all-powerful planeswalker?

Plus, it's not like the characters really have anything in common besides white hair. Nahiri's whole thing is working with stone, sealing shit up, manipulating equipment and tapping ley lines. Avacyn's whole thing is being indestructible and killing the shit out of you. If you were going to make an angel out of Nahiri she should at least have, like, a forehedron or something.

I'm really interested in these babies. How much do you guys think it'll go per piece?

Ranging from $30-50 for the Expedition Tangolands, all the way up to $300-400 for an Expedition Scalding Tarn.

deathlessbehemoth.jpg

Deathless Behemoth
Creature - Eldrazi
Vigilance

Sacrifice two Eldrazi Scions: Return Deathless Behemoth from the graveyard to your hand. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
6/6

//

At Uncommon; checks out

Wow, that's pretty good. Just a colorless 6/6 vigilance for (6) would be good, but it also has graveyard recursion. I mean, it probably won't see Constructed play, but this says a lot about Limited.

Also, I like how the art has it blowing away two Scions.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wow, that's pretty good. Just a colorless 6/6 vigilance for (6) would be good, but it also has graveyard recursion. I mean, it probably won't see Constructed play, but this says a lot about Limited.

Also, I like how the art has it blowing away two Scions.
This card is dumber than that gigantic green spider in Origins.

Yeef

I feel like that really needed to be a 2/3 or a 3/3. As a 2/1 it seems way too fragile for the cost.

Yeef

It's an automatic 4/3. Well technically anyway. It should be safe until its 3rd turn when the buff is played right.
It can be killed in response to the trigger. In limited, it seems like it'll just win games if it survives for a turn or two (depending on how saturated the ally type is). We don't know what the full common and uncommon removal suite looks like, but my worry is that, based on what we've seen so far in cards like Rolling Thunder, Gideon's Reproach and Titan's Presence, taking out creatures with toughness 3 or less should be relatively easy which might keep it from being an auto first-pick.

Angry Grimace

It can be killed in response to the trigger. In limited, it seems like it'll just win games if it survives for a turn or two (depending on how saturated the ally type is). We don't know what the full common and uncommon removal suite looks like, but my worry is that, based on what we've seen so far in cards like Rolling Thunder, Gideon's Reproach and Titan's Presence, taking out creatures with toughness 3 or less should be relatively easy which might keep it from being an auto first-pick.

Just draft white. It has Reproach, Sheer Drop and Stasis Snare. And we only know like 20% of the cards.

Nocebo

What are the chances of getting a new Nicol Bolas planeswalker card in the near future? (somewhere in the coming few sets?)

What are the chances of getting a new Nicol Bolas planeswalker card in the near future? (somewhere in the coming few sets?)

They really don't like to do three-color PWs that often (so far, in eight years, there have been... two) so I dunno. It does really feel like he needs one though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Drop his black for a set. IzzetBolas.

He can have tea with Niv.

Nocebo

They really don't like to do three-color PWs that often (so far, in eight years, there have been... two) so I dunno. It does really feel like he needs one though.
Yeah. I don't follow the lore and story but I heard Ugin and Sarkhan have a connection to Nicol Bolas storywise so I was hoping he'd have a card in the Tarkir set, but obviously he didn't. So I was a bit disappointed. I really like his planeswalker card and think he just looks awesome too. I'm really interested to see what kind of abilities they would give him on a new card.

Reishiki

Banned
Yeah. I don't follow the lore and story but I heard Ugin and Sarkhan have a connection to Nicol Bolas storywise so I was hoping he'd have a card in the Tarkir set, but obviously he didn't. So I was a bit disappointed. I really like his planeswalker card and think he just looks awesome too. I'm really interested to see what kind of abilities they would give him on a new card.

Ugin is a sort of anti-Bolas. Compare the -9 on Nicol Bolas with the -10 on Ugin.

They really need a proper throwdown.

Firemind

Nicol Bolas, Master of the Multiverse
+3: Draw three cards.
-2: Gain control of target creature or planeswalker. Untap it. It gains haste until end of turn. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.
-X: Creatures get -X/-X until end of turn.
-16: Target player loses the game.

Siege Rhino may be a super obnoxious card in Standard, but watching the SSL replay from last night gave me a new appreciation for what it does in the format (keep red aggro in check).

EDIT: Josh won anyway. Wow.

duxstar

Siege Rhino may be a super obnoxious card in Standard, but watching the SSL replay from last night gave me a new appreciation for what it does in the format (keep red aggro in check).

EDIT: Josh won anyway. Wow.

Courser of Kruphix has also kept it in check for quite awhile as well. Sure sometimes they get you down to 4 but courser brings you to 5 , brickwalls all their creatures , and gives you turns to find courses #2, or siege rhino or whatever you need.

It's quietly been one of the best cards in standard for years now , just because you kinda forget how good it is.

Angry Grimace

I guess Forerunner of Slaughter is part of a cycle of allied color uncommons.

en_UbieA3eMa6.png
en_kvoSBvPYkA.png
en_aLRJae6v8b.png
en_QgG4bAeDrv.png

traveler

Not Wario
Nullifer seems playable, especially with all the delve going around.

Since delve is part of the cost of a spell, you can counter a spell using the cards they exile to cast it right?

That vid is actually pretty spot on for hiking. Something I've had to be more mindful of since I broke my ankle. Too bad vision is kinda important.

y2dvd

Grove Rumbler is like, really good. Constructed playable even?
Probably spoiled by now but Riol Spout needed to be at instant speed.
When you O-Ring an opponent's permanent, do they own it? If so, can you put that exile card into the graveyard for Ulamog's Nullifier's second ability?

ultron87

Dang, Roil Spout is really great for Limited. I don't mind playing Time Ebb and a 6 mana 4/4 with that stapled on is real.

Crocodile

At first I read the first line of Ulamog's Nullifier as if it just exiled the two two cards and not needed two cards in exile to dump into a Graveyard and exclaimed "HOLY SHIT" (that would be a fucking Cube staple). Then I re-read the card, cried and wondered again to myself why WOTC made such a parasitic mechanic for the Eldrazi (especially now that Allies are less parasitic than they have ever been - a great move IMO).

Grove Rumbler is like, really good. Constructed playable even?
Probably spoiled by now but Riol Spout needed to be at instant speed.
When you O-Ring an opponent's permanent, do they own it? If so, can you put that exile card into the graveyard for Ulamog's Nullifier's second ability?

I'm not convinced Grove Rumbler is better than Zendikar Incarnate and that ain't seeing Standard play anything soon

kirblar

At first I read the first line of Ulamog's Nullifier as if it just exiled the two two cards and not needed two cards in exile to dump into a Graveyard and exclaimed "HOLY SHIT" (that would be a fucking Cube staple). Then I re-read the card, cried and wondered again to myself why WOTC made such a parasitic mechanic for the Eldrazi (especially now that Allies are less parasitic than they have ever been - a great move IMO).
I don't even have a problem with it being parasitic, so long as every single new Eldrazi exiles cards when they deal damage (little/mid guys) or attack (big guys).

They didn't unify them like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom