• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nullifer seems playable, especially with all the delve going around.

Since delve is part of the cost of a spell, you can counter a spell using the cards they exile to cast it right?

That vid is actually pretty spot on for hiking. Something I've had to be more mindful of since I broke my ankle. Too bad vision is kinda important.

I'm not sure whether a tempo/control deck will really want that, or if it ends up like Silumgar's Sorcerer/Stratus Dancer in that it ends up being an awkward play.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I assume by "unique" you mean perpetually high as fuck

how is the first one even balanced ?
jugg-dizzy.gif

ahhh was on my cell phone and couldn't distinguish the line break on the new cards vs the straight line on the old ones. I feel like on wednesday there are normally bigger cards spoiled than just the uncommon gold cards.

I don't get why they don't include a spoiler in the story article now, it has exactly this effect of making the Wednesday spoilers lame.

duxstar

You know what is really unfun ......

Reality; I imagine all these ways of using new cards and making them cool, and then realize that they probably aren't that good.

It starts off as "omg this card is amazing" i'll run it as a 4 of in every deck. Then you play a little bit and go ; ok maybe I only need 3 of them since i need room for this card. Then you're like 'man this deck really needs 4 den protectors instead of 2 I'll just squeeze the other 2 in somewhere, I'll just put 2 of this card that doesn't really do a whole lot against x and x matchup in my deck". Then you realize that even when you draw it, it just doesn't do a whole lot, or just dies instantly or gets chump blocked forever, so you end up cutting it.

That's how 90% of these spoiled cards will end up for me; awesome until i get to actually testing them and end up being like, nah its garbage.

This post was inspired by Undergrowth Champion. A card that I thought about falling in love with then realized it's probably not the card i want it to be.

I guess Forerunner of Slaughter is part of a cycle of allied color uncommons.

en_UbieA3eMa6.png
en_kvoSBvPYkA.png
en_aLRJae6v8b.png
en_QgG4bAeDrv.png

First is pretty cool. For the second, I definitely get the feeling that the mana payment for the Plant was added by development, but it still looks fun. Third looks pretty good. For the last, a flash flying 2/3 for 4 is pretty decent, but with the counter clause, this might see sideboard play against delve decks even if Eldrazi decks don't become a thing.

For Akoum Hellkite, the fact that Mountains deal extra damage brought it from "eh in Limited" to "OK in Limited".

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
COeb2sUUEAEpjqF.jpg

Veronique Meignaud is on her game. Gorgeous. This is going to be worth a million bucks, isn't it?

Socat

COeb2sUUEAEpjqF.jpg

Veronique Meignaud is on her game. Gorgeous. This is going to be worth a million bucks, isn't it?

strands aren't played that much from my experience, but that may be because I am not a control player. But based on art alone, that shit is amazing.

aidan

strands aren't played that much from my experience, but that may be because I am not a control player. But based on art alone, that shit is amazing.

It's the second most expensive Fetchland in both of the sets it's been printed in (behind Polluted Delta).

Socat

It's the second most expensive Fetchland in both of the sets it's been printed in (behind Polluted Delta).

news to me, glad I have my set already and am not the bling kinda guy or else id be selling a kidney for a set of those

alternade

If I can even just get one for my commander decks I'll be happy. These things are going to be insanely $$$$. Will BFZ be the most opened set ever?

Nikodemos

Every other single card from this set will plummet in value due to so many boxes being opened for those ultra-mythic foils.

I must commend WotC on their creativity. They find innovative ways of increasing the rarity of their cards without changing the actual prints.

aidan

If I can even just get one for my commander decks I'll be happy. These things are going to be insanely $$$$. Will BFZ be the most opened set ever?

Every new fall set is the most opened set ever. I imagine this would have been the case whether the ZE cards were printed or now.

Every other single card from this set will plummet in value due to so many boxes being opened for those ultra-mythic foils.

Though I'm sure I'll never own one of the ZE lands, I love this approach by Wizards to regulate the price of Standard cards. I'd love to see them include more non-Standard legal reprints in future sets.

Angry Grimace

I will say that Godless Shrine being badass as fuck makes up for Flooded Strand being a waterfall.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's my favorite stage in Melee.

Tryhard tournament rules be damned.

Oh, forgot to post this.

The Survivors of Sky Rock, where Gideon helps people get water, kills an Eldrazi, and becomes the leader. When refugees come from the place they were planning on fleeing to, he realizes that it's pointless to keep running, and has everyone prepare to take back the Sea Gate.

Surprisingly, it looks like the next story (synopsis here) won't involve any of the Planeswalkers, but rather will be about Drana. I expect that Nixilis will appear, since he has to appear eventually, though.

duxstar

oh god, I just realized how much money i would be willing to be pay for 1 full art windswept heath, then subsequently realized that it's actually being printed; then a tear came to my eye....... cause i know i can't help myself.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wish for one set they'd go back to a more abstract painterly look than this photorealism shit.

Except for the lands, this set looks ugly as hell.

Angry Grimace

Oh, forgot to post this.

The Survivors of Sky Rock, where Gideon helps people get water, kills an Eldrazi, and becomes the leader. When refugees come from the place they were planning on fleeing to, he realizes that it's pointless to keep running, and has everyone prepare to take back the Sea Gate.

Surprisingly, it looks like the next story (synopsis here) won't involve any of the Planeswalkers, but rather will be about Drana. I expect that Nixilis will appear, since he has to appear eventually, though.

You know, Gideon, we really are the BATTLE FOR ZENDIKAR

oh god, I just realized how much money i would be willing to be pay for 1 full art windswept heath, then subsequently realized that it's actually being printed; then a tear came to my eye....... cause i know i can't help myself.

There is a guy at my LGS who plays a triple-sleeved deck with all of the basics being those Terese Nielsen full-art foils. Every other card in the deck is foil as well. It's not even a good deck!

jph139

The "battle for Zendikar" namedrop was corny as FUCK. Goddamn, they have to know it's impossible to take that sort of thing seriously.

But I do like Gideon - his stories have been pretty much the only interesting ones since Tarkir.

Toxi

Banned
I wish for one set they'd go back to a more abstract painterly look than this photorealism shit.

Except for the lands, this set looks ugly as hell.
I personally am really fond of this piece.

635764770038929958.png

And this one

635767850200543442.png

But I'm still waiting for Raymond Swanland's signature SPIKES AND BROWN AND FIRE AND TEAL LIGHTING AND DUTCH ANGLES AND DEATH style.

<3 Raymond Swanland's art

The "battle for Zendikar" namedrop was corny as FUCK. Goddamn, they have to know it's impossible to take that sort of thing seriously.

But I do like Gideon - his stories have been pretty much the only interesting ones since Tarkir.

Yeah, his fight scenes are decently entertaining, and there's actual drama with him having to make tough choices and such. I thought Jace's story was OK, and of course, Nissa's are terrible.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I was expecting "no...this is the battle for Zendikar"

"I will battle for Zendikar", really? Who on earth would use battle as a verb there over fight?

Angry Grimace

Perhaps the next story will be about why Drana decided to stop dressing like one of those vampires in the Blade movies that are seen hanging around dingy, dark clubs that play Rob Zombie music on repeat. I would have expected they'd get around to Obby Nicks before the set released, but maybe he'll show up there.

Firemind

But I'm still waiting for Raymond Swanland's signature SPIKES AND BROWN AND FIRE AND TEAL LIGHTING AND DUTCH ANGLES AND DEATH style.

<3 Raymond Swanland's art
Agreed. Also would it have killed them to give Drowner of Hope flying? It's worse than Whirler Rogue and it's a rare. :lol

aidan

The WotC writers are great at flavour text, terrible at writing short stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom