• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Players do want them. WotC know they need to keep sales up as much as possible to keep Hasbro off their backs and a familiar and popular setting, like a popular theme, is a good way to do that.

I'm not particularly concerned about two returns on a row, they have plenty of possibilities for original blocks and it's been obvious since SoM that they were going to aim for a 50/50 split between new and old planes. In order for that to work with things like two originals in a row (Theros --> Tarkir) there needs to also be times with two consecutive returns.

The thing that does seem weird to me is how this fits with the seven year plan. When Rosewater pitched it, it had Innistrad as the first year; this block would be the sixth. INN was supposed to be a risky and experimental block so there's no way it had a planned sequel in the same plan.

I do wonder if the shift to the two block model shuffled around what was on the table. Or else it might have been "revisit somewhere popular" without something locked in yet.

Nahiri is Avacyn.

It's happening!

Ugh.

Everyone suggesting this is doing so to make fun of how bad the Magic storytelling is, right? Given that it retcons 100% of the Innistrad backstory and makes no sense with any of the characters involved.

I do wonder if the shift to the two block model shuffled around what was on the table. Or else it might have been "revisit somewhere popular" without something locked in yet.

See I originally assumed they kept the fall sets from the 7YP the same and filled new stuff into the spring slots, but when I asked Maro on Blogatog he said that they compressed the plan instead.

That said, he's also said a bunch that this plan changed a lot from inception. Maybe this used to be NNP and they bumped that back then filled this in its place?

Transform is undoubtedly a returning mechanic in SoI, but what about the others?

Flashback - Popular, but it was a returning mechanic even in Innistrad. Still, I'd say this is pretty likely.

Curse - Could go either way. It was a minor mechanic that doesn't need too many cards.

Morbid - Also could go either way, but it seems like the most likely of the first set mechanics to be left behind.

Fateful Hour - No.

Undying - I don't think so, since it could appear in any setting, and I suspect that they would want to bring back persist first.

Miracle - No.

Soulbond - Maybe?

They've said that a red Snapcaster Mage wouldn't have flash, but it occurs to me, wouldn't this card be really good anyway?

Redcaster Shaman - 1R
Creature - Human Shaman
Haste, Prowess
When Redcaster Shaman enters the battlefield, target instant or sorcery card in your graveyard gains flashback until end of turn. The flashback cost is equal to its mana cost. (You may cast that card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)
2/1

Even without prowess, it seems pretty strong.

Firemind

They've said that a red Snapcaster Mage wouldn't have flash, but it occurs to me, wouldn't this card be really good anyway?

Redcaster Shaman - 1R
Creature - Human Shaman
Haste, Prowess
When Redcaster Shaman enters the battlefield, target instant or sorcery card in your graveyard gains flashback until end of turn. The flashback cost is equal to its mana cost. (You may cast that card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)
2/1

Even without prowess, it seems pretty strong.
We already had this card in Origins.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Soulbond and Curses are the best options I think. Miracles proved problematic, undying is better to save and use elsewhere, morbid arms like it would play too similarly to the first time.

Miracles was such intense bullshit that of course its coming back =V

ultron87

Yeah I'm just straightforwardly excited for more non planeswalker DFCs, honestly. Seeing how they approached BFZ's returning mechanics makes it really hard for me to believe they wouldn't come back.
Yeah, it has to be back. Transform was the *thing* for Innistrad after the theme. Innistrad without Transform would feel like Ravnica without a 2 color theme. That is an exaggeration, but not that big of an exaggeration.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with Innistrad is that almost all of the mechanics are ones I'd like to come back, but they don't really do that.

traveler

Not Wario
Wonder if they'll do a tribal subtheme again. The last time we had a pronounced tribal theme was Innistrad itself right?

As for returning mechanics, I like flashback, transform, and soulbond. Could do without the rest.

traveler

Not Wario
First pick Geist-Honored Monk into second pick Inquisitor into FIFTH pick fiend hunter into sixth pick Slayer of the Wicked...

I guess white's open then lol

Crocodile

Weren't all the werewolves turned into Wolfir in Avacyn Restored? I mean WOTC has shown they aren't above retconning shit but that still means some retconning has to occur. That or something dumb like "Avacyn turns evil" or some nonsense.

On a side note, I'm also amused that WOTC didn't drop Commander Spoilers earlier because they didn't want the spotlight to be divided among products that weren't coming out near each other and now we have the "shadows" of Innistrad looming over Commander 2015 :p

Innistrad won't have Snapcaster because of the promo.

I mean I figured Snapcaster was off the table due to development (boo-urns) but I did forgot about the promo. That being said, promos are NOT enough to meaningfully increase supplies of cards that are over-priced. WOTC seems to think this rather often and its stupid as all fuck :(

Huh? Where have they shown that?

They've said as much. Something akin to "Liliana will have a big role in the block after Battle for Zendikar"

Crocodile

I guess this also kills Return to New Phyrexia for Fall 2016. WOTC isn't that creatively bankrupt/desperate to do three "Return to _____" blocks in a row.

RPTQ promos are designed like Judge Promos - as a real financial reward. Not supply replenishment.

Well supply does need to be replenished so......they should get on that in some fashion

Angry Grimace

I guess this also kills Return to New Phyrexia for Fall 2016. WOTC isn't that creatively bankrupt/desperate to do three "Return to _____" blocks in a row.

Well supply does need to be replenished so......they should get on that in some fashion

All Return Standard! Couldn't be worse than "play the best cards" nonsense they have now.

Ashodin

While I doubt its this block, I do think that its more likely that the next Phyrexian set isn't strictly a "Return to New Phyrexia" and is probably an invasion set

Bloody feather leads me to believe the monsters are going to create their own religion to counter Avacyn.

Angel of Despair reprint, Fallen Angel reprint

G.ZZZ

Abbot is a good card but still a tad below Snapcaster. Had it haste it would've been as good, even at RR. Without haste it's sometimes a bit awkward to play, especially in older formats light on lands, and i don't understand why wotc insist on making everything splashable anyway.

The Technomancer

As a new magic player starting with bfz...

Any reason this new block announcement should intrigue me?

Innistrad is one of the best sets they've ever made, and from a creative perspective (lore and visual design) I think its flat out the best they've ever done

With that said, I'm somewhat cynical about design the last couple years, we'll see if it lives up to its predecessor.

Haines

Banned
Innistrad is one of the best sets they've ever made, and from a creative perspective (lore and visual design) I think its flat out the best they've ever done

With that said, I'm somewhat cynical about design the last couple years, we'll see if it lives up to its predecessor.

Oh wow. That's exciting!

Ashodin

I'd agree with this and I've never even played the set when it came out. Something about gothic horror feels "right" for MTG, some of the earliest cards had that vibe.

The Technomancer

I'm still bothered by a plane set in architecturally and fashion wise fictional 18th -19th century still uses swords and bows.

Meh, I'm not honestly. I think if you really approach London levels of modern steampunk style the lack of firearms gets weird, but Innistrad's more "northeast America", Salem vibe doesn't feel too awkward.

Oh wow. That's exciting!

Seriously, look at this shit:
jhvcretfxgcfvnbnukcjhdjhd.jpg

Meh, I'm not honestly. I think if you really approach London levels of modern steampunk style the lack of firearms gets weird, but Innistrad's more "northeast America", Salem vibe doesn't feel too awkward.

Seriously, look at this shit:

Isn't one of those guys literally wearing a bluecoat? W/o guns there's not really a reason for armor or at least chainmail to go away.

traveler

Not Wario
Innistrad is a legitimate contender for best set of all time. Shame it had to be followed by Dark Ascension and Avacyn, though.

Yeef

I think we'll see Kaladesh after Innistrad. Then Vryn following that. From there, it's hard to say, but it seems likely that Theros and New Phyrexia will be close; Elspeth's story is pretty closely tied to the Phyrexians, so it seems unlikely that they'll go back to New Phyrexia without resolving her current state of limbo, either directly before or after.

Hero

Players do want them. WotC know they need to keep sales up as much as possible to keep Hasbro off their backs and a familiar and popular setting, like a popular theme, is a good way to do that.

I'm not particularly concerned about two returns on a row, they have plenty of possibilities for original blocks and it's been obvious since SoM that they were going to aim for a 50/50 split between new and old planes. In order for that to work with things like two originals in a row (Theros --> Tarkir) there needs to also be times with two consecutive returns.

The thing that does seem weird to me is how this fits with the seven year plan. When Rosewater pitched it, it had Innistrad as the first year; this block would be the sixth. INN was supposed to be a risky and experimental block so there's no way it had a planned sequel in the same plan.

Innistrad smashed records and it probably got fast tracked for a return block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom