• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, since "transformation" is the Innistrad theme, any chance Transmute comes back?

Muddle the Mixture/Perplex would be sweet reprints to go with a bunch of new Stitcher-themed cards.

• Madness(Big Game Hunter reprint with new Garruk-themed art is too perfect)
  • Transmute
  • DFCs(Werewolf Legend!)
  • Liliana of the Veil reprint(with new art!)

godlike

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I really loved Morbid and Undying together. Obviously, not everything can come back, but then again...why not the stuff that worked? Those two were beloved. DFCs, too. Fight is evergreen now. R&D didn't like Miracles, so it's out. Soulbond is cool, but it's not tied to Innistrad or graveyard stuff like Flashback.

In a perfect world SOI block would have

Morbid
Undying
Transform
Flashback
Transmute

and some others who cares. Curses can be just single cards, I don't see them as having to come back as a keyword. Besides, fairy tale witches curse shit all the time.

OnPoint

Can we please agree to abbreviate the new set with a capital 'O'? It's not like it's a small, insignificant word like "of" or "on" like it was in Scars of Mirrodin. "Over" is a full word. Shadows Over Innistrad should be SOI. Otherwise it looks like the abbreviation is the proper term for our sun and it's confusing every time.

but undying sucks. it's just a reverse persist.

C'mon lol get out of here. Undying is sweet.

the time difference between persist, undying, infect and wither was just way too short.

SoI also just reads like shit outta luck. When will Wizards make a SMH set or a FML, LoL, BRB,... ? there's way too many abbreviations in today's society.

Haines

Banned
Do you guys like mires malice?

Ever seen i saw it i cant help but slowly grow to like it more and more. I havent played it much tho.

Maybe its because i couldnt make opponents discard in hearstone. Just burn cards in the pile which isnt very good.

Its the awaken flexebility that just puts it over the top for me.

Ever seen i saw it i cant help but slowly grow to like it more and more. I havent played it much tho.

Maybe its because i couldnt make opponents discard in hearstone. Just burn cards in the pile which isnt very good.

I hate the card during, the prerelease someone used it against me when I had 4 bombs in hand.

Guardian of Tazeem, Felidar Sovereign, another bomb and an Island. I kept the Sphinx and the Island but it took me forever to make a choice. Yes Islands counts as a bomb in that case.

ElyrionX

I thought when I saw mention of Moat that spoilers were out and was looking to pre order every white deck there is. Then saw that it was just talk of a proxy.

Are any of last year's sets worth picking up? When they announced that they were doing Commander sets every year figured this would happen, I would get burnt out buying them.

They all have random cool cards but like all MTG sealed products, boosters or not, it made far more sense just buying the singles you want.

OnPoint

I thought when I saw mention of Moat that spoilers were out and was looking to pre order every white deck there is. Then saw that it was just talk of a proxy.

Are any of last year's sets worth picking up? When they announced that they were doing Commander sets every year figured this would happen, I would get burnt out buying them.

4 out of 5 decks from last year's Commander series were really fun. The white one has the "money card", but the deck sucks. The others are all pretty powerful and a lot of fun, even the blue one which looks awful on paper. My favorite is the Red deck, followed by the blue one.

I think they're worth getting if you want reasonably powerful EDH decks that need little work. You could hulk them out, but we typically play them against each other unaltered and have a great time.

4 out of 5 decks from last year's Commander series were really fun. The white one has the "money card", but the deck sucks. The others are all pretty powerful and a lot of fun, even the blue one which looks awful on paper. My favorite is the Red deck, followed by the blue one.

I think they're worth getting if you want reasonably powerful EDH decks that need little work. You could hulk them out, but we typically play them against each other unaltered and have a great time.

How dare you slight the good name of Nahiri. The deck has had a pretty good track record for me with only minimal modifications.

OnPoint

How dare you slight the good name of Nahiri. The deck has had a pretty good track record for me with only minimal modifications.

I can't speak to your modifications. But stock? The deck has absolutely no synergy and gets overpowered by any of the other four decks. It can't really deal with anything in the mid to late game, doesn't have much of one of its own, and Nahiri herself honestly isn't great, especially late game. I've never seen a planeswalker ultimate go off so often and do so little.

ultron87

I think it's fine. You should definitely try and hold it for Awaken most of the time. The only time you really wanna run it out for 4 is if it is definitely hitting their last two cards. It's mostly filler because it isn't that synergistic with the various black decks. It should not be a high pick, but you can put it in your deck and not feel bad about it.

Just for fun

• LoL.... Legacy of Lorwyn
  • FML.... Fiora Merely/Martially Lost
  • BRB.... Best Ravnica Block / Beyond Ravnica Beknownst /
  • Kk.... Kaladesh Kaput / Kaladeshian Knowledge
  • Rad.... Rejoice at Dominaria
  • Bae.... B Alara Emerges
  • SMH.... Shandalar M H

WiP, which reminds me

• WiP.... War in Phyrexia

Hero

Well, to be fair, the article is about standard now. The whole article couldn't have existed when fetchlands were cheaper because this standard environment didn't exist then. You can't factor in prices of cards when they were cheaper when talking fiance, because on a long enough timeline even Moxes were dirt cheap. The article is about the cost of buying into standard right now, and even has a whole section that talks about the increase in price of the fetchlands. It even says almost exactly what you said - "Obviously, if you bought your fetchlands and Jace, Vryn's Prodigys for pennies on the dollar months ago, this doesn't really affect you." Nothing even slightly disingenuous about it at all, tbh.

Except it is disingenuous when all you're doing is manipulating the data to show only price. When he breaks down the rares and mythics of Cawblade its 30 rares against 47. He even admits this is cherry picked data.

Again, the only real issue is that there is no budget competitive deck that new players can flock to. Considering that BFZ's power level was a victim of the standard set change a lot of it can be attributed to that.

Haines

Banned
I think it's fine. You should definitely try and hold it for Awaken most of the time. The only time you really wanna run it out for 4 is if it is definitely hitting their last two cards. It's mostly filler because it isn't that synergistic with the various black decks. It should not be a high pick, but you can put it in your deck and not feel bad about it.

Yeah i agree a bit with the filler part. Maybe goes in a slower more controlish decks like black blue ingest or fliers

My inner Izzet mage is crying tears of joy right now.

en_xsBKMcuKF4.png

noquarter

Thanks for the heads up. Might as if I can get any for MSRP, like having decent decks built in case someone wants to play but doesn't have a deck. Think I have one of every 2011 sleeved up and got the 2013 ones sitting in the boxes still.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm hopeful that they'll really be able to go in on making U/B spellcasting a viable strategy in a way that they never really have in Limited. This could be good

ultron87

This would not work with a commander though, would it?

Yeah, but that's probably for the best. Don't want someone nuking the entire table with Commander damage in one attack. Though I guess that'd be tough since the copies would just be the base creature without any buffs.

bigkrev

Fall Duel Deck announced- Blessed vs Cursed

Holy Warriors Unite Against the Unquiet Dead

A divine mission has once again united the Humans, Spirits, and Angels of Innistrad. Together, these protectors will stand against the shadows, fighting for humanity's salvation.

Evil rules the night. Shambling hordes of the dead roam free, their cemetery gates in ruins, as powerful Demons soar overhead. The fate of the living remains shrouded in darkness.

Will you defend hope or snuff it out?

So one of the Mythics will be a new card, while the other will be either Avacyn (I can't see them getting away with one of the 2 color mythics from AVR), Grizzlebrand, or Mikaues the Unhallowed

OnPoint

Yeah, but that's probably for the best. Don't want someone nuking the entire table with Commander damage in one attack. Though I guess that'd be tough since the copies would just be the base creature without any buffs.
My first thought was I'd love it in my Uril deck. My second thought was that it wouldn't copy any of the enchantments.

In a Zada deck tho...

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
There is no Dimir or Selesnya, Orzhov is Innistrad.

en_3J0IrrCVBA.png

No idea where this Golgari thihng is from:

en_wMMkFuNmJ5.png

I don't think so? Isn't that just a W/B Daxos of Meletis? If so, I don't think we can break these decks down by Plane as easily as we might want to.

OnPoint

There is no Dimir or Selesnya, Orzhov is Innistrad.

http://media.wizards.com/2015/c15_9dsm28ccakCDSk2/en_3J0IrrCVBA.png[/IG]

No idea where this Golgari thihng is from:

[IMG]http://media.wizards.com/2015/c15_9dsm28ccakCDSk2/en_wMMkFuNmJ5.png[/IG][/QUOTE]

Daxos is Theros. The Golgari thing is certainly Ravnica, talking about the undercity.

ElyrionX

Wait. Daxos is back? That hasn't happened yet in the "main" series right? So C15 is telling a new story and not something from the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom