• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xis

There is no Dimir or Selesnya, Orzhov is Innistrad.

No idea where this Golgari thihng is from:

Erm, I think you mean the Black/White deck is Theros themed (Daxos was from Theros, "The Returned" were from Theros).

The Black/Green legends shown is from Ravnica (there were references to the Kraul in Dragon's Maze).

Santiako

I don't think so? Isn't that just a W/B Daxos of Meletis? If so, I don't think we can break these decks down by Plane as easily as we might want to.

That's not Innistrad. That's Theros; that's the Returned/Zombie manifestation of Daxos of Meletis.

Image.ashx

Daxos is Theros. The Golgari thing is certainly Ravnica, talking about the undercity.

Oh yeah always mix colour pairing up the Golgari thing mentions the undercity in the flavor text so Ravnica too I guess

Erm, I think you mean the Black/White deck is Theros themed (Daxos was from Theros, "The Returned" were from Theros).

The Black/Green legends shown is from Ravnica (there were references to the Kraul were in Dragon's Maze).

Yeah, you are right. I skipped the last 10 years of the game so my plane spotting is rusty lol

lol snake and daxos are so bad

insect seems op

goblin could make a fun storm deck unlike melek

I have a Melek Storm deck, and I don't think I've ever gotten value out of him before. He's just too damn expensive. I'd happily swap him out for this guy and see if he performs better.

jph139

Hyped for a return to Kamigawa (and it being the UG deck gives me hope for new Moonfolk and some ninja shit). Hyped for that Izzet Goblin which will be crazy fun in my Jeleva deck.

Wait. Daxos is back? That hasn't happened yet in the "main" series right? So C15 is telling a new story and not something from the past?

Daxos shows up as a zombie VERY briefly at the end of the Theros books - like, a single line that says "someone sees Daxos and he's a zombie now." So kinda-sorta.

bigkrev

Are there any decent modern decks that can be had for $100 and under? Would love some decklists.

If you take out 4 Scalding Tarn, 3 Flooded Strand, and 2 Blood Moons from the sideboard, you can make a Storm Deck for around ~150
Here is Andrew Shrout's list that T8'd a IQ
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=10645&d=260944&f=MO

G17GaQZ.png

You can knock it down to around 100 if you take the Steam Vents out as well

If you were smart and got your blue fetches from Khans already, you are in really good shape.

Granted, Storm is one of the harder decks to play in the format, but benefits from being able to test via Goldfish with meaningful results

ElyrionX

I have a Melek Storm deck, and I don't think I've ever gotten value out of him before. He's just too damn expensive. I'd happily swap him out for this guy and see if he performs better.

Your meta has got to be really fast if you can't get value out of Melek.

I play a lot of copy effects with him and I usually just stack the top of my library with rituals and then blow everyone out with a big burn spell copied multiple times.

Xis

So is the second half mirrored SOI's set symbol?

JU1wKFY4l3.png

Upside down -

see:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/announcing-shadows-over-innistrad-2015-11-02

EDIT: Erm, I guess not? They are similar, but the real icon is square-er. Looks like the SOI icon is the Avacyn symbol upside-down with some minor tweaks.

kAekVN1Ydr.png

EDIT EDIT: They announced the set size as 297 cards; biggest set we've had in a while, isn't it? (I don't think they double-counted DFC last time).

BTW, Shadows of Innistrad being confirmed as 297 cards pretty much straight-up confirms a return of DFCs, in case anyone was actually still doubting.

Oh and some people are going to be really upset that a UR artifacts commander isn't happening this year haha

The preview articles say that every deck has two themes and each commander supports one of them, so I'm expecting the other one to be artifact-themed.

en_fuAvaxRz0L.png

This is a weird card.

I like this concept a lot. I think there's a lot of space to make cool modal cards like this.

The preview articles tried to claim that each deck has a different associated plane with some support cards attached, but Kalemne and Daxos (both experience-counter generals) are both from Theros so IDK.

Except it is disingenuous when all you're doing is manipulating the data to show only price.

I just don't get what's disingenuous about it. He's comparing the average cost of assembling a top-8 deck at two different points of time, it's an entirely even comparison.

traveler

Not Wario
UG Snake is pretty underwhelming. I think I'd rather just run Thassa for how mana intensive stacking the pump will be. That said Kamigawa's snakes had a subtheme on "getting in", this is a natural color pairing for them, and it's a fairly new take on ug, so it's not that bad.

Izzet guy is izzet. Nothing new here- just play a deck with instants and sorceries like always. The cost reduction on the commander is new, however, so players will have an alternative to copying/proccing for their general if they'd rather have that benefit instead.

BG sac dude fits black green and I like how the sacrifice is tied to the opponents rather than the players side of the board. Should make the deck construction a little bit less standard. A +1/+1 subtheme could work pretty well too- things like fertilid and realm seekers.

New Daxos is hands down my favorite. A wb enchantment commander is brand new (as far as I recall?) and his tokens subtheme works both with that and wb in general. The obvious deck is a load of anthems, true convictions, etc. that give Daxos the experience needed to generate the threats to harness those enchantments. Grave pact and some enchantment sac outlets should do work here as well. Plus, another skybind general! I can leave Heliod behind. Shame we couldn't get one in the color of eidolon of blossoms though.

Myriad is awesome. One of the better mechanics they've designed recently. Should help shore up one of aggro's traditional weak points in the format. Will also be the 375th etb enabler. (Swinging even just a mulldrifter with that blade is pretty insane- imagine a diluvian primordial or grave titan instead) Master of Cruelties has a new best friend...

I'd like to see WR get the artifact theme this year. Something like...

Forgemaster 2WR

RR tap Put a token into play that's a copy of target equipment you control.

W Equip target unequipped creature you control with target equipment you control.

3/3

EDIT EDIT: They announced the set size as 297 cards; biggest set we've had in a while, isn't it? (I don't think they double-counted DFC last time).

By a big margin.

Up until Onslaught the standard large set was 350 cards. They shuffled sizes around with Mirrodin and took it down to 306. In Shards of Alara to go along with the introduction of mythics they changed it to 249, then recently decided the default would be 269 so they could add twenty extra uncommons.

In both cases when we've seen DFCs they're just added on top of the existing set size. Innistrad came out during the 249 era and had 264 cards -- the regular size plus 15 DFCs.

Also, all return sets have an extra 5 cards since they do one reprint set of basic lands. That'd put SOI at 274 by default, same as RTR. Which means 23 "extra" cards above the expected set size... could those all be DFCs?

I can't speak to your modifications. But stock? The deck has absolutely no synergy and gets overpowered by any of the other four decks. It can't really deal with anything in the mid to late game, doesn't have much of one of its own, and Nahiri herself honestly isn't great, especially late game. I've never seen a planeswalker ultimate go off so often and do so little.

I played up the equipment theme a bit more, but stock wasn't bad. It had a good of amount of board wipes, good token generation, and good removal. It seemed even to the other C14 decks, the upgrades I made were to bring it in line with my play group's slightly higher power level.

OnPoint

I played up the equipment theme a bit more, but stock wasn't bad. It had a good of amount of board wipes, good token generation, and good removal. It seemed even to the other C14 decks, the upgrades I made were to bring it in line with my play group's slightly higher power level.

I don't know. I've played it and seen it played several times. And each time the player behind Nahiri is generally walked all over and bored before the game is over. Glad you had fun with it and it worked out for you, but I'd never recommend it to anyone as is, out of the box.

I think the new Daxos looks like the most fun out of the bunch. I like the experience counter mechanic, it scratches the "Level-up" itch a bit.

Firemind

The preview articles say that every deck has two themes and each commander supports one of them, so I'm expecting the other one to be artifact-themed.
Maybe we can finally have a Dack Fayden reprint. It's ridiculous how he's a $35 card when he's a one-of in eternal formats.

That's an oxymoron.
C'mon how is a one mana Seething Song not fun? Combo that with Reiterate and you have a winner.

bigkrev

By a big margin.

Up until Onslaught the standard large set was 350 cards. They shuffled sizes around with Mirrodin and took it down to 306. In Shards of Alara to go along with the introduction of mythics they changed it to 249, then recently decided the default would be 269 so they could add twenty extra uncommons.

In both cases when we've seen DFCs they're just added on top of the existing set size. Innistrad came out during the 249 era and had 264 cards -- the regular size plus 15 DFCs.

Also, all return sets have an extra 5 cards since they do one reprint set of basic lands. That'd put SOI at 274 by default, same as RTR. Which means 23 "extra" cards above the expected set size... could those all be DFCs?

Innestrad actually had 20 DFC.
Checklist.jpg

And to be honest, fitting any more than that onto a single checklist card is going to be tough. I guess with the machine readable cards they could make 2 different checklist cards (or 5 checklist cards, one for each color), and make sure each pack has the correct card in it? It seems like a lot to ask for, though.

I'm kind of disappointed that the UR commander isn't tied to artifacts (though, maybe the other new commander will be), but her ability is pretty neat.

The confluences seems like a really interesting card design.

Since someone asked about Daxos and whether we heard about him becoming a returned in the story, we did. Elspeth ventured into the Underworld and asked Erebos to bring Daxos back to life. He did, but as a zombie with no memories, since even the nice gods are still dicks. I was pretty surprised to see him on a card.

It is odd that we're apparently getting two Theros commanders, despite the claims that each deck corresponds to a different world, but whatever.

It looks like if any deck will have an infect commander, it will be the GU one, and not the BG one.

Myriad is a pretty neat ability.

I think the new Daxos looks like the most fun out of the bunch. I like the experience counter mechanic, it scratches the "Level-up" itch a bit.

Yeah, Daxos rocks. Suggests a brand new type of deck and should play in a cool way.

Being sealed in the Helvault corrupted some angels I bet.

The pitch here is that Avacyn is dead or we're getting fallen angels or both. The feather turning to blood and the expansion symbol being an inverted cross collar-of-Avacyn both suggest that pretty strongly.

Innestrad actually had 20 DFC.
Checklist.jpg

That makes it even clearer that this is DFCs then.

OnPoint

Undead Daxos makes me want to at least attempt to build a Tokens deck. Sigil of the Empty Throne, anyone? Seems cool to build around to me.

Edit: Sigil doesn't work with this. But still works well in a 'cares about enchantments' deck.

So, a return to Theros is pretty much a lock now, right?

Always was.

bigkrev

So, a return to Theros is pretty much a lock now, right?

At some point. We are probably due to revisit Mirroden/New Phyrexia, Alara, and Ravnica again before Theros happens. Lorwyn is another possibility (Before Magic Origins happened, i'd say it would never happen, and if they want Fairy Tales they should just make a new world), and I bet we go back to Ravnica for a third time sooner than later (there were 7 blocks between Rav and RTR, and we now get 2 blocks per year).

I'm sure it sold fine, but I get a feeling that Theros was the least popular of the new worlds they have created since Alara.

The pitch here is that Avacyn is dead or we're getting fallen angels or both. The feather turning to blood and the expansion symbol being an inverted cross collar-of-Avacyn both suggest that pretty strongly.

Interesting. I saw the symbol as the moon rising over a mountain, but looking at it closer I can kinda see the Avacyn collar in there as well.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Ravnica is just the coolest. If they went back to it a few times, I'd be cool with it. Their next go around should be like, dark, urban fantasy.

OnPoint

Ravnica is just the coolest. If they went back to it a few times, I'd be cool with it. Their next go around should be like, dark, urban fantasy.

I'm on the opposite side of this. I actually hate it and kind of hope they never go back. I know that they will, though, given how popular it is, so I'll just have to kind of grin-and-bear it. The only saving grace is that good, powerful cards have come out of both trips there.

bigkrev

I mean, just look at her art from AVR

If you just look at the art, you probably think that is a W/B gold card.
She's got some darkness in her.

If they ever go back to Ravnica again they need to be done with the guilds. It was great the first time and still good the 2nd but a 3rd block of the 10 guilds would just be tiring.

Make it so the Guildless actually won or at least became strong enough to make a full fledged mono vs. multicolor theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom