• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
Friend of mine:

bladeofselves.jpg

Seriously though, I love this sword. While its obviously not exactly the same as Nacatl War Pride it plays around in a similar space and I've always loved the shit out of Nacatl War Pride

Image.ashx

JulianImp

I wonder if it'll still be 1 DFC per pack or if the printing improvements they made that let them do the Origins Walkers will let them be in the normal card slots.

But there'd be problems if we still got a single checklist card per pack, and the only viable alternative I can think of would be adding more per pack, which would come at increased cost. It'd still be really cool if they managed to find out how to make it happen.

When I loaded this page up earlier today and scrolled down to a card named Gigantoplasm I thought we would finally be getting another ooze... but no, it was just a shapeshifter. I'm still waiting for the day oozes get a lord of their own, since I have a small ooze collection and like fitting them in decks (unless they're the boring kind that do nothing besides growing large).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My guess on SOI Planeswalkers would be Jace, Liliana, Tibbles, Sorin, Nahiri.

I just feel in the Force that they want to bring back Tibbles as not horrible. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Sorin isn't in the block at all, either.

MTG lore isn't exactly nuanced and complex so I would be not surprised at all if this theory turned out to be true.

What makes me so crazy about this theory is that it's like entire worlds worse than the worst writing we've had in the new-planes era -- and the worst writing in that period is pretty bad!

Why would Sorin, a pre-mending walker with essentially infinite power, need to transform another planeswalker into a guardian angel when he explicitly could just make one out of thin air? How does he do that without the other person's consent when they are also a planeswalker with infinite power? What would make him think that this is a good way to make use of Nahiri in the first place given how useful she was in tackling the Eldrazi problem as herself? Why would this step transform her from someone with magic related to stones, equipment, and containment into someone with magic related to healing, cleansing, and invulnerability? How is the timeline supposed to work when we know Nahiri was still active on Zendikar a thousand years ago? If Avacyn is Nahiri then why did Sorin expect to see her show up on Zendikar when he went to wait for her in ZEN? Or why didn't he pick her up at the end of Avacyn Restored, since in the storyline he's explicitly still on the plane after she gets freed and his exact reason for leaving is to go deal with the Eldrazi?

This whole thing just reminds me of all the idiotic "Squall is dead!" type fan theories you see on Buzzfeed where someone picks out a few random things that sort of feel connected in a movie and use it to create an elaborate theory that would transform the entire meaning of the film, at the expense of making no sense, having no thematic coherency, and being almost impossible to tease out in a normal viewing.

Unrelatedly: looking up details to write this rant has reminded me that maybe we'll see Sorin's pops Edgar in SOI, since he's still alive and King Shit of Vampire Mountain.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What makes me so crazy about this theory is that it's like entire worlds worse than the worst writing we've had in the new-planes era -- and the worst writing in that period is pretty bad!

Why would Sorin, a pre-mending walker with essentially infinite power, need to transform another planeswalker into a guardian angel when he explicitly could just make one out of thin air? How does he do that without the other person's consent when they are also a planeswalker with infinite power? What would make him think that this is a good way to make use of Nahiri in the first place given how useful she was in tackling the Eldrazi problem as herself? Why would this step transform her from someone with magic related to stones, equipment, and containment into someone with magic related to healing, cleansing, and invulnerability? How is the timeline supposed to work when we know Nahiri was still active on Zendikar a thousand years ago? If Avacyn is Nahiri then why did Sorin expect to see her show up on Zendikar when he went to wait for her in ZEN? Or why didn't he pick her up at the end of Avacyn Restored, since in the storyline he's explicitly still on the plane after she gets freed and his exact reason for leaving is to go deal with the Eldrazi?

This whole thing just reminds me of all the idiotic "Squall is dead!" type fan theories you see on Buzzfeed where someone picks out a few random things that sort of feel connected in a movie and use it to create an elaborate theory that would transform the entire meaning of the film, at the expense of making no sense, having no thematic coherency, and being almost impossible to tease out in a normal viewing.

Unrelatedly: looking up details to write this rant has reminded me that maybe we'll see Sorin's pops Edgar in SOI, since he's still alive and King Shit of Vampire Mountain.

I would expect the serious answer to be: "Creative retconned how good Pre-Mending Planeswalkers were." Seriously. They barely ever mention how powerful they were at this point beyond the fact that they lived forever and had a vague amount more powers.

Expecting virtually any consistency in a story where they freely admit they just make shit up if pre-existing lore doesn't fit is a mistake, in my opinion. Lest we forget: Nissa's story being retconned was a retcon of the original ZEN block to begin with. I guess what I'm trying to get across here is that the theory makes *enough* sense that I have no reason to believe virtually any number of existing inconsistencies in the existing lore are enough to discount the possibility.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

If Avacyn is Nahiri then why did Sorin expect to see her show up on Zendikar when he went to wait for her in ZEN?

Okay I forgot about that, that's pretty damning.

bigkrev

Star City just announced some big changes to their Open Series
http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/31833_.html

-"SCG Tour" is now the umbrella that Opens, Invitationals, Regionals, IQs fall under
-There will be less events overall
-You are out of luck if you don't live on the East Coast
Due to increasing logistic complexities and rising costs, we do not expect to host many Open Weekends in the western half of the U.S. in 2016.
-There will be non-SCG vendors at ALL Opens
-Similar to GPs, there will be Artists at every event, and a "Robust" Side event schedule. They will be using a Prize Wall like some GPs have been doing at all events.
- Winning an SCG Invitational gets you qualified for the Pro Tour and a plane ticket
- No Legacy at the Invitational

OnPoint

-"SCG Tour" is now the umbrella that Opens, Invitationals, Regionals, IQs fall under

-Similar to GPs, there will be Artists at every event, and a "Robust" Side event schedule. They will be using a Prize Wall like some GPs have been doing at all events.
- Winning an SCG Invitational gets you qualified for the Pro Tour and a plane ticket

Cool and oof, respectively.

Legacy is dead.

Angry Grimace

Stifle would be great in modern. The others... not so much.

Isn't it grammatically correct in the way that they do it, though?

Trickbind on a Fetch is still funny to me =(

An-Det

Nice to see the PT invites for the invitational, that's a Hell of an endorsement of the scg circuit. I wonder if the non-scg vendor thing wasn't a prerequisite to this.

The drop in legacy was expected, though still a bit sooner than I had anticipated. Such a shame to see.

Angry Grimace

To be fair, Legacy dying was the obvious endgame of them creating Modern and then pretending there are no other "eternal" formats.

Angry Grimace

Why Trickbind when you can play Shadow of Doubt? It's basically an instant Sinkhole with cantrip!

Because at least in theory Trickbind is still basically Stifle. Squelch does that too including the cantrip.

ultron87

Currently accruing cards for this deck, seems like an awesome place to start playing Modern: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-84-6-tix-modern-uw-tempered-steel

If anyone has some of the more expensive lands from this list that they are looking to sell, definitely let me know.

That's definitely a good place to start! That one should be able to stay effective at all points on the curve as you gradually upgrade your way to the true Affinity deck. If you happen to have Hangarback Walkers from Standard play definitely put those in. Hangarback dying into Thopters when you have Tempered Steel out is a pretty big game.

Angry Grimace

The main advantage that Shadow of Doubt has over those other cards is that you can cycle it away when you don't need it/want it.

I think you're missing the point: Trickbinding basically anything is hilarious. Its the Spanish Inquisition of Magic cards.

ACE 1991

That's definitely a good place to start! That one should be able to stay effective at all points on the curve as you gradually upgrade your way to the true Affinity deck. If you happen to have Hangarback Walkers from Standard play definitely put those in. Hangarback dying into Thopters when you have Tempered Steel out is a pretty big game.

I own the Zendikar Event Deck, I'll definitely slot a Hangarback in there, good call.

Angry Grimace

The issue here is with them getting rid of the two day system. Legacy excludes too many players.

Can't say I'm too miffed: I know three players total who have paper Legacy decks and all of them are basically insufferable to play against.

Saurus

Trying to figure out what dual lands to play in standard UB control deck. Had 10 tap lands which I feel slows the deck down way to much. Would shock lands be better? Usually take quite a bit damage before the deck can lock the board down.

Jhriad

Well, I guess I'll have to be content with trying to go to GP Houston in February and GP Dallas nine months after that. Two events a year anywhere nearby kinda stinks but it's better than if I still lived in middle America. Those states just got proper fucked unless another organizer steps up to fill the gaps on the Midwest and West Coast.

IDK if this has been mentioned yet but G/U snake and G/B sac insect aren't the main legendaries for their respective commander decks - G/U gets Phyrexian Ezuri and G/B gets some death/sacrifice-based reanimator thing

They haven't been spoiled but the descriptions for the decks are up on the website.

Jeez, that sucks for Ezuri that he's part blue now

The story page has descriptions of all the commanders. That art that people thought was for Deathrite Shaman is actually for a new character named Meren.

Arjun, the Shifting Flame - UR - Sphinx with flaming mane, leads a school of philosophers on a previously unseen plane.
Ezuri, Claw of Progress - GU - Former rebel leader on New Phyrexia, now out to spread its perfection.
Meren of Clan Nel Toth - BG - Out to avenge her clan on Jund by reanimating dragons and such.
Anya, Merciless Angel - RW - Another RW battle angel, yawn.
Karlov of the Ghost Council - WB - Just one member of Obzedat, the Ghost Council of Orzhov. He's the fat one in the back.

Toxi

Banned
IDK if this has been mentioned yet but G/U snake and G/B sac insect aren't the main legendaries for their respective commander decks - G/U gets Phyrexian Ezuri and G/B gets some death/sacrifice-based reanimator thing

They haven't been spoiled but the descriptions for the decks are up on the website.
The Black/Green legend, Meren of Clan Nel Toth, is from one of the Jund clans of Alara. The clan is mentioned in Scarland Thrinax's flavor text.

Angry Grimace

There's multiple legends for each deck right? Didn't they start doing that in 2014 so that you could play with a different commander?

Toxi

Banned
There's multiple legends for each deck right? Didn't they start doing that in 2014 so that you could play with a different commander?
No, they've been doing that since the very first set of commander decks in 2011. Every commander deck has had two new legendary creatures and one old one that could be used as the deck's general.

Angry Grimace

No, they've been doing that since the very first set of commander decks in 2011. Every commander deck has had two new legendary creatures and one old one that could be used as the deck's general.

I didn't really pay attention to them before 2014 because I remember Maro saying something about it at Comic Con, so I suppose it doesn't surprise me there's more than 1 legendary creature in a deck of 100 cards.

They should stick some of the existing Planeswalkers in these products to spice them up. Pretty much none of the enemy color PW are particularly valuable. I don't know, they're all pretty much worthless and see no play anywhere and casuals love Planeswalkers. The only one of the Commanderwalkers I really wanted to put in a deck last year was Freyalise. :(

I'm still waiting for the day oozes get a lord of their own, since I have a small ooze collection and like fitting them in decks (unless they're the boring kind that do nothing besides growing large).

This is the second or third thing Rosewater brings up as something he's missed the chance to do most often so I'm sure we'll see it eventually.

I just feel in the Force that they want to bring back Tibbles as not horrible.

Yeah everyone liked his design and story, just not his godawful card. Seems super safe to revisit.

I would expect the serious answer to be: "Creative retconned how good Pre-Mending Planeswalkers were." Seriously.

This is a bit past the point that's plausible. They've literally run four or five stories on the website in the last year highlighting the difference.

I feel like I've read this exact same post before. :lol

It wasn't from me because this is the first time it actually made me so mad that I did research about it!

Isn't it grammatically correct in the way that they do it, though?

Singular they for gender-neutral is grammatically correct in English.

Angry Grimace

Maybe the next 5 blocks will all be Where's Waldo with Sorin and Nahiri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom