• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It wouldn't affect experience counters if that is what you are talking about, Doubling Season only cares about counters placed on permanents you control.
Its still ridiculous with Doubling Season though. Every token triggers the counter gain as well, so doubling the number of tokens you get...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
From that HS thread:

Don't get me wrong- I don't think Magic is perfect by any means. I still don't like how huge an effect rng has on wins/losses due to the mana system, but I'll take Magic's resource system over HS' any day.

Playing the Pokemon TCG lately actually has me really interested in its Energy system, have any other TCGs played around in similar spaces?

ElyrionX

This rant over on the Hearthstone subreddit, as well as the following conversation pieces, are fascinating to me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3razmo/trolden_my_current_thoughts_on_hearthstone/

I wonder if people felt similarly about Magic during its early years, before expectations were set and you knew what you were getting into before you started.

Dude complained about power creep IMMEDIATELY after complaining about unusable cards LMAO

Haines

Banned
This rant over on the Hearthstone subreddit, as well as the following conversation pieces, are fascinating to me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3razmo/trolden_my_current_thoughts_on_hearthstone/

I wonder if people felt similarly about Magic during its early years, before expectations were set and you knew what you were getting into before you started.

Feels like everyone realized what i did a month ago. That heathstone could be a good game with improvements but blizzard is lazy as fuck. They nerfed patron, which held back a lot of bullshit in the game and let everyone blame it, and now people can all see the problems glaring

Guess we will see at blizzcon if they can do any good for the game

Toxi

Banned
Plant could quite possibly be one of my most hated types. What are treefolk now, either you're a creature of flesh and blood or you're a plant in the form of a creature not both and for heaven's sake what's a plant elemental supposed to be. Plant is like making fire a type. Phoenix' should be type bird fire half of the blue elementals elemental clouds etc.
Wat

Plants are living organisms. Vinelasher Kudzu is a plant. So is Utopia Tree.

Almost as bad as having Stags be Elks and don't get me started on merfolk human...
A stag is a male deer. Having stag as a creature type makes about as much sense as having "man" as a creature type.

Wat

Plants are living organisms. Vinelasher Kudzu is a plant. So is Utopia Tree.

So a centaur plant, does it practice photosynthesis and uses capillaries to move water or blood vessels powered by a heart.

A stag is a male deer. Having stag as a creature type makes about as much sense as having "man" as a creature type.

Didn't mean stag as a creature type but pretty much every "elk" creature is male, don't know if there's even a doe elk.

HxO4yEr.png

CS5iJU-VAAEcAoj.png
en_p08wi9c05W.png
en_eoVO1O6wZ9.png
en_1h9QUwfIDl.png
Dream_Pillager.png
en_R9o1E4kq26.png

The Dragon does the red card draw (exile) in the amount of damage he deals

Toxi

Banned
Awaken the Sky Tyrant is the sort of card that I don't understand why it exists; a 4 mana 5/5 with Flying is not amazing in EDH, especially when it's conditional. And it's certainly not gonna be useful in Legacy or Vintage.

Gisela being included in the RW deck is awesome; she's a legendary creature a lot of people love to play.
So a centaur plant, does it practice photosynthesis and uses capillaries to move water or blood vessels powered by a heart.
Both? It's magic.
Didn't mean stag as a creature type but pretty much every "elk" creature is male, don't know if there's even a doe elk.
There is one doe elk in the history of Magic; it's one of the elks in the background of the original art of Gang of Elk.

I do think "Deer" would have been a better creature type since it's less specific while still covering the same creatures.

Toxi

Banned
seven mana 4/4 dragon? that better be jokulhaups on a stick
No, it's just WotC overvaluing Red temporary card draw again.

Dream Pillager 5RR
Creature - Dragon

Flying

Whenever Dream Pillager deals combat damage to a player, exile that many cards from the top of your library. Until end of turn, you may play nonland cards exiled this way.

4/4

Toxi

Banned
That red dragon is useless.
Both of them are useless, but at least Dream Pillager actually does something decent and unique in EDH.

This piece of shit on the other hand...

CS5iJU-VAAEcAoj.png

Who the hell at Wizards thought this was a good card for Commander? It's not. It's fucking terrible.

Gisela being included in the RW deck is awesome; she's a legendary creature a lot of people love to play.

Kinda wanna make an angels EDH deck now

Both? It's magic.

We've been over this before I don't like it's magic as a cop out for everything. Plant as a subtype is like fire, water,... it's color defining and intrinsic to green subtypes already like Treefolk and Dryads not to mention how green elementals are plants by default mostly.

There is one doe elk in the history of Magic; it's one of the elks in the background of the original art of Gang of Elk.

I do think "Deer" would have been a better creature type since it's less specific while still covering the same creatures.

Yeah Deer would have been preferred. It's so weird when every odd set they introduce a new type that technically falls under a different family yet here we have Elks that are Deer.

When I'm on a rant about types already, why does Wizards make incorrect raptors and why are they beast lizards instead of beast birds?

When I'm on a rant about types already, why does Wizards make anatomically incorrect raptors and why are they beast lizards instead of beast birds?

You get upset about the weirdest things. I kinda like it.

The Gisela reprint makes the new RW battle angel even more egregious. Aren't like 50% of RW Legends angels?

http://magiccards.info/query?q=t:"legendary+creature"+ci:wrm&v=card&s=cname

11 12 RW legends. 4 Angels, 4 Humans, a 2 Giants, an Ally, and a God.

EDIT: I should include the newly spoiled commander.

OnPoint

Both of them are useless, but at least Dream Pillager actually does something decent and unique in EDH.

CS5iJU-VAAEcAoj.png

Who the hell at Wizards thought this was a good card for Commander? It's not. It's fucking terrible.

The dragon is better than the enchantment. But I don't want either of them.

You get upset about the weirdest things. I kinda like it.

You know I'm the guy in the theatre who can't shut up about how illogical and dumb the movie is and how the stuff they do is physically impossible.

In this case though my father is a paleontologist so

Because Wizards hates biology and for some stupid reason won't make a Dinosaur creature type.

Paleontology to be precise, though it falls under the umbrella of biology.

Surprised they didn't update it to Naga and I still can't spot the druid part in the art

They didn't update Coiling Oracle to Naga because he's literally half an elf grafted to half a snake.

still anatomically a naga ;)

Toxi

Banned
The red enchantment is just an "attack someone else for now" card.

Still terrible though.
And it sucks at encouraging opponents to attack someone else.

Hell, Illusory Ambusher (the Blue flash creature that lets you draw cards equal to the damage it's dealt) works better at encouraging opponents to attack someone else, and that's not even its intended role.
Surprised they didn't update it to Naga and I still can't spot the druid part in the art
They didn't update Coiling Oracle to Naga because he's literally half an elf grafted to half a snake.

Why the hell are you guys posting non-English cards without translations? Seriously.

Viper's Brood
4U
Creature - Snake
Myriad
Whenever Viper's Brood deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.

Vine Centaur
3G
Creature - Centaur Plant
Trample
Vine Centaur enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 for each land in all graveyards.
Whenever a land is put into a graveyard from anywhere you may pay GG. If you do return Vine Centaur from the graveyard to you hand.

Dream Pillager
5RR
Creature - Dragon
Flying
Whenever Dream Pillager deals combat damage to a player, exile that many cards from the top of your library. Until end of turn, you may play nonland cards exiled this way.

I think Dream Pillager is pretty interesting, though yes, overcosted.

Firemind

CS5iJU-VAAEcAoj.png

Well they also made this card, so I'm not surprised.

Image.ashx

Raptor birds? Now I've heard everything.

Raptors are literally birds, velociraptors have been recreated incorrectly in the past and in last decade new findings concluded they were feathered and closely related to birds.

No... they were not, especially the centaur.

Last page you posted two Italian cards. :lol

I mean tierra, mano, +1/+1,... I guess french helps, the centaur is spanish.

Command-Beacon_EN_HRR.png

Now here's an interesting one. A one-shot opportunity to avoid the commander tax (unless your commander is Titania, in which case it reads "never pay commander tax ever again").

That lets you play Phage finally, as you can now get her from the command zone for the first time

Well, you could always have just used Torpor Orb or Platinum Angel or Sundial of the Infinite...but yes, more redundancy is good.

I think the only legendary creature that was literally unplayable as a commander before this card was spoiled was Haakon.

Image.ashx

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is the worst time of year.

Because we have to talk about EDH.

Wichu

This is the worst time of year.

Because we have to talk about EDH.

Let's talk about Standard instead then. Like how Jace and the Den Protector/Deathmist Raptor double team are going to get even more obnoxious when the graveyard block is out.

I will almost certainly be playing some sort of G/B deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom